Appointment with a Stranger

Appointment with a Stranger

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Deeply self-conscious about her severe asthma attacks, high school student Keller Parrish finds solace in the company of an attractive but mysterious boy at a remote pond, unaware that he is an insubstantial echo of a forty-year-old tragedy.
Mass Market Paperback, 176 pages
Published July 1st 1991 by Avon Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Appointment with a Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Appointment with a Stranger

Alissa Bach
Although a very quick read, this is a haunting, beautifully-written romance. It is also a coming-of-age story. Keller has allowed her life to be ruled by her asthma, afraid to make friends or socialize because she fears people will make fun of her for her disorder (she's been badly burned by mean kids in the past). For health reasons, she leaves the crowded, smoggy city to live with her grandmother in the country. It is here she meets Tom, the first person she ever felt truly comfortable around...more
Ryan
Aug 11, 2011 Ryan added it
I loved this book when I was 12, I think I made everyone I knew read it. But I did notice that the boy on the cover was wearing a digital watch even though he died before the Second World War. It's just always bothered me.
Rachel
I read this cover to cover as a kid. That is saying something for me. It was a rainy fall night. I kept the window open and read to the ghosts outside.
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
This is a quick and easy read. While it was good, and the characters were pretty well developed for novel length, something was missing for me. There is nothing overtly wrong with this book except that I wish that I didn't know from the beginning that he was a ghost. I don't know if that would have made it any different.
I also really liked Drew, he is funny, caring and persistent, and I know if she would have chosen him off the bat, there wouldn't really have been a story, but I favored him t...more
Katrina Sutton
This was definitely a page turner. One of my favorites, I was memorized with the story of a girl and a boy who was ghost. I only wish that I happen to have a copy of this book because then I would lend it out to my friends. It's that good.
Miranda Dallis
I have read this book probably 20 times since I was 13. It never gets old. And I still love it just as much today as I did then.
Liz
Lois
This was my favorite book at 12! I read it over and over and over again!!!
Heather S
Jan 18, 2011 Heather S marked it as to-read
Shelves: sequoyah-winners
Sequoyah Winner: 1991-1992 (YA)
Melisa
Melisa marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Winaa Daisy
Winaa Daisy marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Impy
Impy marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Sarai
Sarai added it
Mar 16, 2014
Lara Lundy
Lara Lundy marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Kiliki
Kiliki added it
Jan 25, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What's The Name o...: 90's YA, girl meets boy at pond, ghosts [s] 5 20 Dec 19, 2013 04:14PM
"My mother taught me to read before I started school, but I had to wait to be six before I could have a library card."[ Author's quote from her website.]
"In 25 years, I wrote 40 books. Most of them came out under my own name, but a few were published under the name T.J. Bradstreet."
[ Author's quote from her website.]
She lives in Washington State, and is a member of The Authors Guild and the Societ...more
More about Jean Thesman...
Singer The Other Ones The Ornament Tree Calling the Swan The Rain Catchers