Start by marking “Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them” as Want to Read:
Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them

Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1914 Excerpt: ... cover the pots with circular pieces of pasteboard or tin, and avoid surface evaporation from the pots. Always fill pots with warm water. CATCHING OWLS AND HAWKS A fr ...more
Published May 20th 2012 by General Books (first published February 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them

Sarah Sammis
Published originally in 1909 and reissued in 1996, Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them by Rolfe Cobleigh was once a helpful how-to manual on the basics of running a homestead. It's now an interesting look back in time for the most part.

The book was reissued by James R. Babb when he decided to give up urban life for something far more rural. He needed something to guide him and Hand Farm Devices... was one of the books he found. Thinking that there might be other ex-urbanites looking for some
Sarah Kingston
Jun 18, 2008 Sarah Kingston is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I just opened my box from Amazon about 47 seconds ago, and this book was in it. I flipped through and landed on page 55, which has the heading "Washes while reading." The drawing is of a pedal powered wash tub. I'm in love.

The book is small, but full of time- and energy-saving ideas for the farm (or my garden, right?). The illustrations are simple, and there are no explicit details on how to build the devices, just simple instructions and sometimes an illustration of the completed device. The o
Michael Anderson
I read this to better understand how we, in general, built things before power tools and electricity, and, in particular, because I was building a fence and wanted to examine different gate designs. There is a lot of good, interesting ideas here that fit well with those in Mother Earth News and the Whole Earth Catalog -- i.e., living well off-grid. Good book.
Kei
There is a LOT of useful information in here. Both for some of what we are doing now, things we will likely be doing someday, and for the game I am currently running. All in all, a good choice.
Wm
Good book with a broad range of useful tools, but the descriptions can be quite basic and instructions hard to follow. If you are good with your hands and clever, you can figure most of it out.
Smellsofbikes
This is mostly for historical reference, but it is interesting hearing how to build an ice house.
Anna
Pretty pictures, fun to browse, no real meat.
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Chris King
Chris King marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Thomas
Thomas added it
Sep 22, 2014
Hana
Hana marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Elisa
Elisa added it
Aug 21, 2014
Cordelia R. Fleischmann
Cordelia R. Fleischmann marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
juan carlos martinelli
juan carlos martinelli marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Matthew Dishman
Matthew Dishman marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them The Home Physician Old-Time Farm and Garden Devices and How to Make Them