I Lost My Mobile At the Mall

I Lost My Mobile At the Mall

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Elly Pickering is dreading telling her parents thats shes lost her mobile phone again what with the Global Financial crisis and everything. But losing her mobile is just the beginning. A series of technological happenings and manipulations leads Elly to question her priorities, her friendships, and Will, her fabulous she thought boyfriend. Is she facing certain social deat...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published November 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Lost My Mobile At the Mall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Lost My Mobile At the Mall

Katy
I picked up this book at the library because I am known to have bad phone habits - always losing it or being really bad at picking it up and not responding to texts in a timely manner. And I thought it was a cute cover, and I've actually sent a funny picture of myself, making this face as I imitate an iPhone Emoji emoticon.

I was expecting a cute, fun read, probably one on the silly side, but after the first two chapters, I kind of lost interest. And personally, I thought it was kind of ridiculou...more
Debasmita
This is one gorgeous book and one of the most original stories that I have read in recent times.It was an amazing book…often funny and very refreshing.I especially LOVED this book because this book dealt with a normal “teenager at the edge of technological breakdown”.I was just a wee bit tired of paranormal characters and meeting Elly Pickering was an absolute pleasure!Elly Pickering,the protagonist,is a bright and spunky character and I just adored her.It was hilarious the way she went on talki...more
Karissa
This was set in Australia and for a second I missed being there, even though it was only for two weeks.
Our main character loses her cell phone at the mall – hence the title. But this is the third phone she has lost. Elly is very vain, and she even admits to being distracted by shiny objects. How much vainer can you get?
Now that she's lost her phone, she's unable to contact the outside world. Like her boyfriend, Will, who is a surfer who doesn't even own a cell phone. And her best friend, who i...more
Amy
Absolutely am addicted to this book. It was something easy for me to relate to and therefore was one of those books I couldn't put down. It's nice to read something that I can use to help me get through the same problems Elly did and I constantly find myself comparing our lives. I read this book around three times a year and am proud to say it's my guilty pleasure.
Jess
I love this book!!! Great aussie read, I could really relate to some of the things Elly was talking about and really helped me appreciate technology (Mobile, computer and FACEBOOK!!) really good book, very funny but also a bit emotional at times, about love, friendship and her technological breakdown. FANTASTIC!!!
Kayleigh
I Lost My Mobile at the Mall
by Wendy Harmer

Fifteen-year-old Elly Pickering has once again lost her cell phone at the mall, and she is shuddering at the prospect of telling her parents. When one technological problem leads to another, Elly begins to seriously doubt what and who really matters most to her. Can anything good come from this series of breakdowns?

Comments on the book:
Strengths/Praise-
1) The plot of the book was well thought out, after the first thirty pages, because the author made t...more
MizzYasmin
(from ireadnireview.blogspot.com)

I haven't read like this in ages!
I keep reading and reading and reading until the last line.
I manage to complete this book in a day.
Simply addictive!

Even before reading this, I noticed that people do depend on technology too much that we forgot how it was like in the old days.
Writing letters, hogging on the public phone.
Now everything is much simpler.
But what if, all in a sudden, you don't have your phone and your personal computer?
Can you imagine how your life w...more
Georgia
I read this a few years ago when I was in year 7 (maybe 13-14 years old) or something. And I loved it!

We get to see what would happen to a teenager now-a-days when they lose all electronic communications. And it was an eye opener, are we really that dependant on technology? What would happen if all technology would suddenly disappear? (Well, I would love it, dunno about others though...)

But it was a super fun read, and the protagonist, Elly Pickering, was so easy to love. She was sensible, ove...more
Jess - The Tales Compendium
I picked this up to read just so I could give some feedback on it at work and wasn't expecting to like it all, but I did.

A funny story about technology and one teenage girls' desperate attempt to stay in the loop after losing her means of communication.

From her kooky family and their hypocritical views of technology to the drama of having a best friend who isn't really all that nice, to the misunderstandings that jumping to conclusions can lead to, this is a hilarious teen novel for ages 12-15.

T...more
Hannah
This book was quite cute. It was simple and had relatively good morals, and the characters were particularly well written. Elly is a likable protagonist and narrator, and whilst the rest of the cast aren't particularly relatable or likable, they are at least written so I'm clear what I need to feel about them, without being spoon fed.

I found Elly to be quite a slow learner, and I don't feel like she learnt too many lessons through the course of the book. Even when she was offered chances to rise...more
Phillip Pascoe
AAAAAAWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE BBOOOOKK
Watermelon Daisy
FIRST IMPRESSION:
Funny and dramatic (well, the main character makes out of it, anyway.)

WRITING STYLE:
Very amusing at first but loses its charm quickly. It makes me skim through a lot of the book.

PLOT:
Predictable. Very, very predictable. And the ending was too happy for my liking.

CHARACTERS:
Elly was really getting on my nerves at times. Very frequently, actually. But I love how she improved as a person.

OVERALL:
A fast-paced, modern story which highlights the importance of just how much teenagers r...more
Ellen
Dec 06, 2009 Ellen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: facebook users, mobile phone fanatics
Shelves: ya
This book really captures the "voice" of a teenager, the description of why Elenor(Elly) will die is absolutely hilarious in its accuracy.

Of course its not all bad, Elly still has her laptop.

I love the way Elly and her gran have a good relationship, its great to see her discussing the advantages and disadvantages of technology with her gran.

Then when Elly is feeling a bit jilted by her sweet bf, she posts some photos of him on FaceSpace. That night all the laptops in the house are stolen.

Great b...more
Candy Russo
It was so funny. I loved it. It had the perfect ending.
Airaology
It was fast paced and witty but not laugh out loud type, more like 'heh heh'.

It's a good book for youngsters (Dear God, did I just used that word?) who are addicted to internet and cellphones.

Our protagonist was a bit annoying and shallow at first, but the funny parts didn't make her seem obnoxious (unlike her friend). Towards the end, she learned the value of friendship as well as being a more educated/understanding young lady.
Ashley
I thought this was a fresh creative book, but one thing that I just really didn't like the whole book was the text talk she used. It was so unrealistic. I am a teenager and I do use that kind of texting, but it took me about 5 mins to translate everything. I just couldn't get past it! It also lost another star just because it didn't hook me right in.

I did however LOVE the front cover!
Tamara
So my friend gave me this book (along with some others) a while back and I just remembered that I read it :)
It was a quirky little book that was an extremely easy read. Something good for someone who wants to have something to do when you have a spare couple of hours :)
Shelby
Great book if your chillin at the beach or curled up in bed. Bit of a Sophie Kinsella feel so if you haven't already read her books and you enjoyed this i recommend you read them. Although Ellie is a true, real life drama queen!
Amy Sparkes
i thought that this book was excellent. It was funny and interesting, and it is more for teenagers as they would understand what its like to loose their mobile phone at the mall, as they shop there and hang out!
rubycouturexo
This book was really great to read! I liked the humour in it and i also liked the drama and girly-ness to it. I really think any teenage girl will love it and it has a good ending too. Awesome book! :)
Jen Shelley
I love this book. it was creative in the way it was written, and I couldnt put it down. i read it for 2 days straight, and wanted there to be a second one.
GSGS
In a nut shell: ____________

Nothing really happens. The title says it all.

However it was mildly entertaining. Good fluff for in between books.
Steph
It was a little too teen fiction for me although it made for a quick, easy read, all the while reminding me how much I hate texting shorthand!
Persephone
Very funny and astonishingly truthful -- people cannot go five minutes with their mobiles that life without them seems horrific.

A light read
Tin
Maybe there's an underlying message that i should have understood, but honestly, i found this story a bit superficial and a little trying-too-hard.
Heather
Preachy about reliance on technology, cyber bullying, being mean online but it is a fun read. Elly's voice is very authentic.
Mikayla
Shows the average teenage girls struggles with boys, school, work and family through Ellie's life
Hallie
May 05, 2012 Hallie marked it as maybe-keep-an-eye-on-it
Kirkus gave it good review, which caused me to look again. Title isn't too catchy.
Hannah
Nov 04, 2012 Hannah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Seems interesting, the blurb is funny enough to make me want to read it.
  • Destroying Avalon
  • Whisper
  • Darkwater
  • Six Impossible Things
  • Every Breath (Every #1)
  • Friendship on Fire
  • A Pocketful of Eyes
  • Will
  • Guitar Highway Rose
  • The Sky So Heavy
  • Contact (The Phoenix Files, #2)
Wendy Harmer is an Australian author, writer, radio show host and comedienne. A former political journalist, Wendy is the author of seven books for adults: It's a Joke, Joyce (1989), Backstage Pass (1991), Love Gone Wrong (1995), So anyway-- : Wendy’s words of wisdom (1997) (a collection of her weekly columns from The Sydney Morning Herald’s Good Weekend Magazine), Farewell My Ovaries (2005), Nag...more
More about Wendy Harmer...
Farewell My Ovaries I Made Lattes for a Love God Roadside Sisters Friends Like These Love And Punishment