Start by marking “I Lost My Mobile At the Mall” as Want to Read:
I Lost My Mobile At the Mall

I Lost My Mobile At the Mall

Elly Pickering is dreading telling her parents thats shes lost her mobile phone again what with the Global Financial crisis and everything. But losing her mobile is just the beginning. A series of technological happenings and manipulations leads Elly to question her priorities, her friendships, and Will, her fabulous she thought boyfriend. Is she facing certain social deat ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published November 2nd 2009)

Katy
Nov 04, 2012 Katy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book at the library because I am known to have bad phone habits - always losing it or being really bad at picking it up and not responding to texts in a timely manner. And I thought it was a cute cover, and I've actually sent a funny picture of myself, making this face as I imitate an iPhone Emoji emoticon.

I was expecting a cute, fun read, probably one on the silly side, but after the first two chapters, I kind of lost interest. And personally, I thought it was kind of ridiculou
Debasmita
Feb 10, 2011 Debasmita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one gorgeous book and one of the most original stories that I have read in recent times.It was an amazing book…often funny and very refreshing.I especially LOVED this book because this book dealt with a normal “teenager at the edge of technological breakdown”.I was just a wee bit tired of paranormal characters and meeting Elly Pickering was an absolute pleasure!Elly Pickering,the protagonist,is a bright and spunky character and I just adored her.It was hilarious the way she went on talki ...more
Amy
Sep 30, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely am addicted to this book. It was something easy for me to relate to and therefore was one of those books I couldn't put down. It's nice to read something that I can use to help me get through the same problems Elly did and I constantly find myself comparing our lives. I read this book around three times a year and am proud to say it's my guilty pleasure.
Karissa
Jul 02, 2013 Karissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-2013
This was set in Australia and for a second I missed being there, even though it was only for two weeks.
Our main character loses her cell phone at the mall – hence the title. But this is the third phone she has lost. Elly is very vain, and she even admits to being distracted by shiny objects. How much vainer can you get?
Now that she's lost her phone, she's unable to contact the outside world. Like her boyfriend, Will, who is a surfer who doesn't even own a cell phone. And her best friend, who i
Jess
Oct 11, 2010 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book!!! Great aussie read, I could really relate to some of the things Elly was talking about and really helped me appreciate technology (Mobile, computer and FACEBOOK!!) really good book, very funny but also a bit emotional at times, about love, friendship and her technological breakdown. FANTASTIC!!!
Ashley
Nov 05, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I was pretty surprised that it wasn't some trashy chick book (not that there is anything wrong with books like that) and that it actually kept me entertained throughout most of it.

It's not a genre that I normally read, but if you haven't read this already, I suggest you give it a go.
rubycouturexo
Apr 13, 2013 rubycouturexo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really great to read! I liked the humour in it and i also liked the drama and girly-ness to it. I really think any teenage girl will love it and it has a good ending too. Awesome book! :)
Amy Sparkes
Mar 12, 2013 Amy Sparkes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i thought that this book was excellent. It was funny and interesting, and it is more for teenagers as they would understand what its like to loose their mobile phone at the mall, as they shop there and hang out!
Jen Shelley
Jun 05, 2011 Jen Shelley rated it it was amazing
I love this book. it was creative in the way it was written, and I couldnt put it down. i read it for 2 days straight, and wanted there to be a second one.
GSGS
Aug 17, 2010 GSGS rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In a nut shell: ____________

Nothing really happens. The title says it all.

However it was mildly entertaining. Good fluff for in between books.
Dinelle Hetti
Lol. cute. easy read.
Debra
Jan 12, 2017 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am an adult, that teaches middle school students and thought this sounded like a great book to give to my granddaughter who is 16,who loves her cell phone.

I actually enjoyed it and found some of the old-fashioned activities that she and her family participated in a great flashback to my childhood.

Adults and kids could learn from this.
Kate
Nov 26, 2016 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I'm too old to really appreciate this book, maybe i don't fully understand it because I still put pen to pen and send snail mail to people or maybe this book really was just a terrible read. Not one I'd recommend to anybody I know.
Kayleigh
Sep 07, 2012 Kayleigh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star-books
I Lost My Mobile at the Mall
by Wendy Harmer

Fifteen-year-old Elly Pickering has once again lost her cell phone at the mall, and she is shuddering at the prospect of telling her parents. When one technological problem leads to another, Elly begins to seriously doubt what and who really matters most to her. Can anything good come from this series of breakdowns?

Comments on the book:
Strengths/Praise-
1) The plot of the book was well thought out, after the first thirty pages, because the author made
Jess - The Tales Compendium
I picked this up to read just so I could give some feedback on it at work and wasn't expecting to like it all, but I did.

A funny story about technology and one teenage girls' desperate attempt to stay in the loop after losing her means of communication.

From her kooky family and their hypocritical views of technology to the drama of having a best friend who isn't really all that nice, to the misunderstandings that jumping to conclusions can lead to, this is a hilarious teen novel for ages 12-15.

T
Georgia
I read this a few years ago when I was in year 7 (maybe 13-14 years old) or something. And I loved it!

We get to see what would happen to a teenager now-a-days when they lose all electronic communications. And it was an eye opener, are we really that dependant on technology? What would happen if all technology would suddenly disappear? (Well, I would love it, dunno about others though...)

But it was a super fun read, and the protagonist, Elly Pickering, was so easy to love. She was sensible, ove
glitterkawaiiprincess
Hannah
Jan 19, 2012 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book was quite cute. It was simple and had relatively good morals, and the characters were particularly well written. Elly is a likable protagonist and narrator, and whilst the rest of the cast aren't particularly relatable or likable, they are at least written so I'm clear what I need to feel about them, without being spoon fed.

I found Elly to be quite a slow learner, and I don't feel like she learnt too many lessons through the course of the book. Even when she was offered chances to rise
Ellen
Dec 06, 2009 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: facebook users, mobile phone fanatics
Shelves: ya
This book really captures the "voice" of a teenager, the description of why Elenor(Elly) will die is absolutely hilarious in its accuracy.

Of course its not all bad, Elly still has her laptop.

I love the way Elly and her gran have a good relationship, its great to see her discussing the advantages and disadvantages of technology with her gran.

Then when Elly is feeling a bit jilted by her sweet bf, she posts some photos of him on FaceSpace. That night all the laptops in the house are stolen.

Great b
Watermelon Daisy
FIRST IMPRESSION:
Funny and dramatic (well, the main character makes out of it, anyway.)

WRITING STYLE:
Very amusing at first but loses its charm quickly. It makes me skim through a lot of the book.

PLOT:
Predictable. Very, very predictable. And the ending was too happy for my liking.

CHARACTERS:
Elly was really getting on my nerves at times. Very frequently, actually. But I love how she improved as a person.

OVERALL:
A fast-paced, modern story which highlights the importance of just how much teenagers r
Airaology
Jan 26, 2014 Airaology rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buh-boring
It was fast paced and witty but not laugh out loud type, more like 'heh heh'.

It's a good book for youngsters (Dear God, did I just used that word?) who are addicted to internet and cellphones.

Our protagonist was a bit annoying and shallow at first, but the funny parts didn't make her seem obnoxious (unlike her friend). Towards the end, she learned the value of friendship as well as being a more educated/understanding young lady.
Ashley
Jul 07, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a fresh creative book, but one thing that I just really didn't like the whole book was the text talk she used. It was so unrealistic. I am a teenager and I do use that kind of texting, but it took me about 5 mins to translate everything. I just couldn't get past it! It also lost another star just because it didn't hook me right in.

I did however LOVE the front cover!
Tamara
Sep 03, 2014 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So my friend gave me this book (along with some others) a while back and I just remembered that I read it :)
It was a quirky little book that was an extremely easy read. Something good for someone who wants to have something to do when you have a spare couple of hours :)
Shelby
Aug 11, 2012 Shelby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book if your chillin at the beach or curled up in bed. Bit of a Sophie Kinsella feel so if you haven't already read her books and you enjoyed this i recommend you read them. Although Ellie is a true, real life drama queen!
Missy
Mar 26, 2016 Missy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
One of the very first romance books I had read and I am proud to say that even though I probably read through a hundred, this is still my favourite! Perfect plot and I would recommend it for whoever is into moments where you awe and giggle over adorable moments
Steph
Jan 09, 2013 Steph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-ready-roos
It was a little too teen fiction for me although it made for a quick, easy read, all the while reminding me how much I hate texting shorthand!
Apr 25, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Very funny and astonishingly truthful -- people cannot go five minutes with their mobiles that life without them seems horrific.

A light read
Heather
Aug 05, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Preachy about reliance on technology, cyber bullying, being mean online but it is a fun read. Elly's voice is very authentic.
Tin
Jul 31, 2012 Tin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, 2012
Maybe there's an underlying message that i should have understood, but honestly, i found this story a bit superficial and a little trying-too-hard.
Sarah Hyland
Sarah Hyland rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2015
  • Whisper
  • Nona & Me
  • Wavelength
  • All This Could End
Wendy Harmer is an Australian author, writer, radio show host and comedienne. A former political journalist, Wendy is the author of seven books for adults: It's a Joke, Joyce (1989), Backstage Pass (1991), Love Gone Wrong (1995), So anyway-- : Wendy’s words of wisdom (1997) (a collection of her weekly columns from The Sydney Morning Herald’s Good Weekend Magazine), Farewell My Ovaries (2005), Nag ...more
More about Wendy Harmer...