Start by marking “One Small Victory (Five Star Expressions)” as Want to Read:
One Small Victory (Five Star Expressions)

One Small Victory (Five Star Expressions)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Life can change in just an instant. That's the harsh reality that Jenny Jasik faces when her son is killed in an automobile accident, but never in her wildest dreams did she ever expect to be working undercover as a member of a drug task force. She is, after all, just a mom. But don't discount what a mom can do when the safety of her children is at stake.

This book was insp
Published August 19th 2010 by Maryann Miller (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about One Small Victory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Small Victory

Steve
Sep 12, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I hesitate to give this book four stars because there were several aspects of it that I didn't appreciate, but I love the message that a "normal" person that decides to step out of their comfort zone and push themselves for a cause they believe in can accomplish great things.

The basic premise of the story is a mother who loses her teenage son to a car accident involving a driver who was using drugs decides to team up with the police and take on a major drug cartel. As a result she ends up neglec
Sally Berneathy
Nov 25, 2013 Sally Berneathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful.
Jenny is a single mom raising two sons and a daughter the best she can with no help from their father. She’s the owner of a flower shop and leads a pleasantly mundane life…until the day her oldest son dies in a car crash.

ONE SMALL VICTORY is the story of her journey from grieving mother to confident woman. Along the way she must confront her deepest fears, come to terms with the loss of her son and help her remaining son and daughter accept their changed life.

I won’t go into detail bec
Mike Bove
Mar 05, 2013 Mike Bove rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that make me go back and reread passages. Not because I didn't get it the first time, but because I did. Maryann Miller's writing often made me go back to enjoy certain words or ideas again. Only my favorite authors can do that.
"One Small Victory" is a simple story. I'm going to do something, one small thing, about the local drug culture that killed my son. It turns out to be not very easy. Relationships with every person in her life become strained, but Jenny persists
VLynch
Mar 28, 2011 VLynch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a heartbreaking story about one Mothers struggle to pick up the pieces of
her life after her son is killed. She in an incredible woman who fights to prevent
other senseless teen deaths. However, in trying to save the "world" she starts to lose
her other children. This story feels honest and real. I enjoyed it while it also scared me as I am a mother of 2. I highly recommend this book.
Catherine Richmond
When Jenny's son is killed in an auto accident, she descends into grief. Drugs are found in the car, and Jenny - a regular mom who works as a florist - goes undercover to take down the drug ring. How much will revenge cost her?
Based on a true story, Maryann Miller eloquently shows grief changing to anger, and victim to victor as Jenny struggles to figure out what's important in the life she has left.
b00k r3vi3ws
Sep 15, 2014 b00k r3vi3ws rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Jasik’s life is turned upside down when she loses her son in a driving accident. Her son Mike was in a car with his friend driving while high on drugs. It is a shocking news that leaves Jenny feeling helpless and with the realisation that the streets were not safe for anyone, including her two remaining children, till drugs were freely available. While grieving for her son, Jenny decides that she needs to do something to ensure that it does not happen to anyone else. Once she clears a phys ...more
Jenny Twist
Oct 22, 2012 Jenny Twist rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A First Class Thriller

Jenny is devastated when her son, Michael, is killed in a car crash. Discovering that the driver was high on drugs increases her grief and intensifies her awareness of the danger to her remaining two children. She notices the pushers hanging around outside the school with the police apparently doing nothing about it. When she later finds out the police are forming a task force to catch the dealers, she persuades them to recruit her.
She has absolutely no idea what she is le
Dan Wright
Oct 23, 2012 Dan Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***SPOILERS CONTAINED IN THIS REVIEW***

Being an avid reader of comics in my time (although less so these days), there has always been one aspect of the superhero genre that has interested me – the double life. It has always been a somewhat torturous aspect of many superheroes. Sure, they may get to save lives and fight the bad guys (and girls), but what about their civilian life? How does it affect the lives of those they care about? This is a theme that I think was brilliant explored in the Spi
Rosemary Cantrell
Jan 26, 2016 Rosemary Cantrell rated it liked it
This was a nice little book, but not great. A young college boy is killed in a car accident. The driver is under the influence of drugs. The rest of the story is about the toll this death takes on the family as they try to go one. The mother becomes an undercover confidential informer for the police task force fighting drugs. An interesting story line, but I thought a bit beyond belief. Even so, I enjoyed the book. As would be expected, everything is good in the end.
Lillie
Jul 29, 2014 Lillie rated it really liked it
Well-done story of a woman leading a double life and risking both her life and her relationships to do what she thinks is right
Maggie
Aug 12, 2012 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a soccer mom loses her teenaged son to a drug-related car crash, she channels her energy into cleaning up the streets of her town. The catch? She can’t tell anyone what she’s doing. Jenny’s circle of family and friends notice the changes in her, but one misstep and her entire family is at risk.

This is a gripping and at times gritty journey into the world of confidential informants. Miller keeps the tension and emotion high as she raises the stakes.
Jack
Nov 19, 2011 Jack rated it liked it
Thriller about a woman who is devastated by the death of her son. Well written but I felt the plot was a bit far-fetched.
Heidi
Jun 22, 2013 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Could have been a spectacular book. unfortunately, it wasn't
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Kary
Kary rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Renee Rosa
Renee Rosa rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
ReaderBabs
ReaderBabs marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Carina
Carina marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Dara Papp
Dara Papp marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Suki
Suki marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Kim Byerly
Kim Byerly marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Laura Peichel
Laura Peichel marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Sam_K
Sam_K rated it it was ok
May 18, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
nyema favor
nyema favor rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
sheila
sheila rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • No Fear
  • Tremolo: Cry of the Loon
  • Gemini Moon
  • Nate (Devils on Horseback,  #1)
  • Sunrise
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
  • Spoilt
  • Swept Away
  • Grave Illusions (Jess Vandermire, #1)
  • Ghostly Awakening
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • The Branding
  • Jerome and the Seraph
  • The Little Known
  • The Wild Sight
  • Stolen Hearts
  • The Sword Lord
  • Beyond the Bougainvillea
Maryann Miller writes the critically acclaimed Seasons Mystery Series that debuted with Open Season, and continued with Stalking Season. Her latest release, Doubletake, a stand-alone mystery was chosen as the 2015 Best Mystery by the Texas Association of Authors.

Miller has received the Page Edwards Short Story Award, placed first in the screenwriting competition at the Houston Writer's Conference
More about Maryann Miller...