One Small Victory (Five Star Expressions)

One Small Victory (Five Star Expressions)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Life can change in just an instant. That's the harsh reality that Jenny Jasik faces when her son is killed in an automobile accident, but never in her wildest dreams did she ever expect to be working undercover as a member of a drug task force. She is, after all, just a mom. But don't discount what a mom can do when the safety of her children is at stake.

This book was insp...more
Published August 19th 2010 by Maryann Miller (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about One Small Victory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Small Victory

Steve
I hesitate to give this book four stars because there were several aspects of it that I didn't appreciate, but I love the message that a "normal" person that decides to step out of their comfort zone and push themselves for a cause they believe in can accomplish great things.

The basic premise of the story is a mother who loses her teenage son to a car accident involving a driver who was using drugs decides to team up with the police and take on a major drug cartel. As a result she ends up neglec...more
Sally Berneathy
Powerful.
Jenny is a single mom raising two sons and a daughter the best she can with no help from their father. She’s the owner of a flower shop and leads a pleasantly mundane life…until the day her oldest son dies in a car crash.

ONE SMALL VICTORY is the story of her journey from grieving mother to confident woman. Along the way she must confront her deepest fears, come to terms with the loss of her son and help her remaining son and daughter accept their changed life.

I won’t go into detail bec...more
Mike Bove
This is one of those books that make me go back and reread passages. Not because I didn't get it the first time, but because I did. Maryann Miller's writing often made me go back to enjoy certain words or ideas again. Only my favorite authors can do that.
"One Small Victory" is a simple story. I'm going to do something, one small thing, about the local drug culture that killed my son. It turns out to be not very easy. Relationships with every person in her life become strained, but Jenny persists...more
Kara Dey
review of One Small Victory by Maryann Miller

this book was gifted to me in exchange for an honest review.

One Small Victory explores the aspects of a mother's grief and the lengths she will take to protect her family and community in her son's honor. The book starts off fast paced, with the death of Jenny's son. We are introduced to what remains of her family and the inner conflicts left there. As Jenny grieves, she also finds a strength within her, not just as the sole provider and protector for...more
VLynch
This is a heartbreaking story about one Mothers struggle to pick up the pieces of
her life after her son is killed. She in an incredible woman who fights to prevent
other senseless teen deaths. However, in trying to save the "world" she starts to lose
her other children. This story feels honest and real. I enjoyed it while it also scared me as I am a mother of 2. I highly recommend this book.
Catherine Richmond
When Jenny's son is killed in an auto accident, she descends into grief. Drugs are found in the car, and Jenny - a regular mom who works as a florist - goes undercover to take down the drug ring. How much will revenge cost her?
Based on a true story, Maryann Miller eloquently shows grief changing to anger, and victim to victor as Jenny struggles to figure out what's important in the life she has left.
Debdatta D. Sahay (b00k r3vi3ws)
Jenny Jasik’s life is turned upside down when she loses her son in a driving accident. Her son Mike was in a car with his friend driving while high on drugs. It is a shocking news that leaves Jenny feeling helpless and with the realisation that the streets were not safe for anyone, including her two remaining children, till drugs were freely available. While grieving for her son, Jenny decides that she needs to do something to ensure that it does not happen to anyone else. Once she clears a phys...more
Jenny Twist
A First Class Thriller

Jenny is devastated when her son, Michael, is killed in a car crash. Discovering that the driver was high on drugs increases her grief and intensifies her awareness of the danger to her remaining two children. She notices the pushers hanging around outside the school with the police apparently doing nothing about it. When she later finds out the police are forming a task force to catch the dealers, she persuades them to recruit her.
She has absolutely no idea what she is le...more
Dan Wright
***SPOILERS CONTAINED IN THIS REVIEW***

Being an avid reader of comics in my time (although less so these days), there has always been one aspect of the superhero genre that has interested me – the double life. It has always been a somewhat torturous aspect of many superheroes. Sure, they may get to save lives and fight the bad guys (and girls), but what about their civilian life? How does it affect the lives of those they care about? This is a theme that I think was brilliant explored in the Spi...more
Lillie
Well-done story of a woman leading a double life and risking both her life and her relationships to do what she thinks is right
Maggie
After a soccer mom loses her teenaged son to a drug-related car crash, she channels her energy into cleaning up the streets of her town. The catch? She can’t tell anyone what she’s doing. Jenny’s circle of family and friends notice the changes in her, but one misstep and her entire family is at risk.

This is a gripping and at times gritty journey into the world of confidential informants. Miller keeps the tension and emotion high as she raises the stakes.
Jack
Thriller about a woman who is devastated by the death of her son. Well written but I felt the plot was a bit far-fetched.
Heidi
Could have been a spectacular book. unfortunately, it wasn't
Heather Bishop
Heather Bishop marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Andrea Glassman
Andrea Glassman marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Monica Dowell
Monica Dowell marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Cindy Chapman
Cindy Chapman marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Will Decker
Will Decker marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Teri Pre
Teri Pre marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jernee
Jernee marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Tricia Conner
Tricia Conner marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
As a journalist and author, Maryann Miller amassed credits for feature articles and short fiction in numerous national and regional publications. The Rosen Publishing Group in New York published nine of her non-fiction books including the award-winning, COPING WITH WEAPONS AND VIOLENCE; In School and on Your Streets, which is in its third printing.

She has also written several screenplays and stag...more
More about Maryann Miller...
Boxes For Beds Open Season Stalking Season Friends Forever SAHM I Am