Start by marking “Frantastic Voyage” as Want to Read:
Frantastic Voyage

Frantastic Voyage (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist #5)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  1,149 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Franny's faithful lab assistant, Igor, has swallowed a doomsday device that is ready to go off at any moment! For any regular scientist, there is only one way to get the device out -- um...make that two ways. But Franny K. Stein is no ordinary scientist, so she concocts her own way to get the device back and save her friend. With her miniaturization machine, Franny shrinks ...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Spotlight (MN) (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Frantastic Voyage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frantastic Voyage

Jesus
Oct 03, 2008 Jesus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
my goal for this week was to finish the book because i want to read different one.the pages i read: was 1-65 and the the next day i finish.
the charater: she is the mad scientist and she creats different thing.in the book she has creat a devis and th dog eat it and she has to get it.
my goal for next week: want read a other book
Emily
Dec 06, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
Mr. Benton is back on top with this one on a subject near and dear to my heart - too much TV, with an especial focus on susceptibility to commercials! Particularly gross this time around as the last half of the book takes place inside a dog's nasal passages and stomach. Hilarious illustrations for the gigantic mass wedgie and the dog booger snowman as well as all the things that have gone wrong under Igor's not-so-capable assistance. I appreciate that a compromise is reached at the end to the sa ...more
Margie
Dec 02, 2011 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this with my daughter. It was late and I intended to read a couple of pages with her and then put her to bed. We read the entire book and I'm not ashamed to admit I laughed right along with her. I wish I'd had this when I was a child.
Caroline
An entertaining, albeit shallow, book. Good to hook my kids on reading.
Ekram
Jan 08, 2012 Ekram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
tabitha
Nov 07, 2011 tabitha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Frantastic Voyage is about a little girl mad scientist named Franny who makes a bomb called the doomsday device. The bomb is the size of a grape and chould bolw up at least three puaters of the world.To make matters worse Franny's lab assistant igor swallows the doomsday device. Well he isn't a pure lab. He is also part poodle, part chihuahua, part beagle, part spaniel, part shepherd, and possiblypart of some kind of weasly thing that probably isn't even a dog. Anyways the bomb is goin ...more
Courtney Umlauf
As a successful mad scientist, Franny has come to realize that if her inventions fall into the wrong hands they could cause serious damage to the entire world To prevent that ever happening, she creates a Doomsday Device rigged to destroy her lab if things become too risky. Of course, the Doomsday Device is accidentally eaten by her assistant, Igor the dog, who's completely distracted with the TV Franny's given him to keep him out of her way during her most important experiments. The only soluti ...more
Dolly
Mar 28, 2013 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
We listened to this story narrated aloud by Michele O. Medlin on audio CD while were on a family car trip during Spring Break. We'd never read any of the stories in the Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist series before and I thought it would be entertaining.

It's a short, humorous tale that certainly kept our interest as we drove for miles and miles. I love the fact that Franny is a spunky, smart scientist and I thought it was great how she solved her problems. The story was very engaging and we real
Book Concierge
Franny K. Stein is a mad scientist (is there any other kind?), with a lab assistant named Igor (not a pure bred lab, but also part Chihuahua, part poodle, part beagle, etc). But Igor is not very competent and usually messes up her experiments. When he accidentally swallows the Doomsday Device she built for emergencies, Franny has to find a way to retrieve the bomb from the dog’s stomach. So she shrinks herself and takes a tour through Igor’s innards. Will she get to the bomb in time to save the ...more
Mother&Son
My son is a fan of Franny K. Stein Books. We love reading these together because we not only like the way Franny thinks, but we find some of the events that happen funny. This book in particular was gross and we both eeww from the middle to end. Franny's lab assistant Igor accidentally swallowed the doomsday device. So now Franny has to shrink herself small, enter through Igors nose and travel all the way to his stomach. Along the way there are some pretty gross things she encounters and gets st ...more
Joanna
Read this book with my four year old daughter and seven year old son. Both liked it quite a bit. There are enough burp jokes and other body grossness jokes to keep them laughing and Franny, the mad scientist of the series, is a great character. These books can be read in any order, so don't worry about whether you've read the others first. This is our third episode and I'm sure we'll read more from this series. The book is short enough to read aloud in one long sitting or is broken into chapters ...more
Oliver
Jun 19, 2015 Oliver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked when Franny's dog swallowed the doomsday device and Franny had to go in him to get the device back out of his tummy and she had to get back out. There was a TV and she kept distracting the dog so she could do her work. After that Franny decided to break the TV because they did not need it anymore. Igor kept on clicking and clicking through the TV shows and right when Franny was swinging the ax, Igor got to one of her favorite shows. It was with mostly bugs, which was funny. The lesson wa ...more
Isaiah
Mar 06, 2009 Isaiah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The bok was really funny because she was right about the dog messing everything up. so she made a television so the dog can be distracted and not mess up her projects.She made a doomsday device that will go off if there is an attack n earth the Igor was watching tv and he ate the doomsday device he did not pay attention to what he was eating.Franny had to miniturze her self to go in Igor's body when she got in there she thought it was fun being in Igor's body. She got the doomsday device and qui ...more
Deanna
Dec 23, 2012 Deanna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i love this book about franny k stein since i've haven read everything. man, what a waste of millon people were sold this books. because i want it soo badly. i was keep busy doing on the allowence money to do clean my room, washes the dishes, wipe the tables, and take out the garbage. it's my job to do work at the restraunt at lone star. that's my favorite job.
but sometimes, i want to be an artist and animation to create of the smae character of the author and creators. my favorite book is jeff
Zheng Han S3 Cheng
Apr 18, 2008 Zheng Han S3 Cheng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Franny's faithful lab assistant, Igor,which is ( part Chihuahua, part beagle, part spaniel, part shepherd and all thumbs)has jus swallowed a domsday device that is going to explode any moment!There is only 2 ways.One is to let it explode or go insde Igor to deativate the device.
Franny K. Stein is an extraordinary scientist so she is making a machine that go go into Igor body to deativate the divice.With the miniaturization machine, she shrink herself like a pin and travel inside Igor body.Wil sh
Veronica
Mar 07, 2013 Veronica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
Edmund.attipoe
Aug 06, 2012 Edmund.attipoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1)I really like the book because it very funny,for example in page 21 Franny dog Igor was copying everything that the T.V is doing,and in page 8 Igor drink a snake formula and his head turn into a snake head.2)You will like this book if you like funny things because this book have very funny things.3)There is no challenge in this book.4)The character named is Franny,she is a mad scientist and have a helper named Igor.
Deirdre Keating
Our original enthusiasm for this series has dulled a bit. Don't care for the sarcasm toward her little brother, and we preferred Igor's strong role in the Four Brains book. But there is still a lot to love. My mom read this to Aidan first back in June, and started laughing out loud when she saw the illustration of Igor watching TV in a bikini. I loved the reinforcement of our lessons to Aidan about commericals and advertizements. Looking forward to the Franidate (Franny runs for office!).
Carol
Dec 30, 2008 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amber absolutely loves this series and this was another good entry. It subtly shows some of the downfalls of watching too much tv, with all the familiar humor and grossness that characterize Frannie’s world. I have to admit that I thought her wishing she had more time to play in the boogers in Igor’s nose was disgusting, but Amber thought it was hilarious. Of course, it all ends well, luckily for the world.
Regina Fuller
Sep 08, 2015 Regina Fuller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this a book because I love one characters name is Franny. She always create science. she like focus by herself. She very serious science. When ever she doing mad science never be bother her. She like weird stuffs what she doing. Her assistant lab name Igor (dog). She always mad at her dog because dog always wrong process science. I like this a book because when I have a mad and always get weird science on my food. I laugh at the book. I was enjoying it.
April
Mar 04, 2008 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Franny K! I read this one out loud to my 1st grade neice over the weekend and we both cracked up the whole time. I have also done with one with my K-2 book club along with funny science experiements and it was a hoot! The pictures are great and what kid wouldn't like to be sniffed up a dog's nose!
Ruslan
Oct 10, 2014 Ruslan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is an okay book.I didnt really think it was as exciting as the other ones. I think they should of added more events in this book. It was still okay because it did have a creative setting and was different than the other books in its series. Overall i think this was an okay book and you should still read it.
Kayla
Nov 04, 2009 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Franny's lab assistant, Igor, has swallowed a doomsday device that is ready to go off at any moment! For any regular scientist, there is only one way to get the device out, make that two ways.But Franny K. Stein is no ordinary scientist, so she concocts her own way to get the device back and save her friend. This book is really funny.
Alaina Sloo
Part of the hilarious Franny K. Stein series with lots of illustrations for kids beginning to read chapter books. Who can resist a little girl mad scientist with an obedient dog/lab assistant named Igor?

Katharine
May 20, 2011 Katharine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I brought home a pile of beginner chapter books, looking for a science-fiction / silly book for my 7 year old boy. He gravitated to this choice and loved it. We will be trying the rest of the series.

Update 2/14/12: same child, now 8, just reread this on his own in 2 days.
Gabriel
Jun 22, 2015 Gabriel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Franny gave Igor a TV to distract him from getting in her way. Igor was eating grapes and Franny put the doomsday device on the same table. And Igor thought the doomsday device was a grape and he ate it and I thought, hmm that seems pretty hard to swallow and that's what the chapter was called.
StorySnoops
The fun and crazy inventions continue in this fifth installment in the Franny K. Stein Mad Scientist series. In The Frantastic Voyage, Franny discovers and is fascinated by the hypnotic power of television and advertising... (click here for full review http://www.storysnoops.com/detail.php...)
Trinity Klennert
Jim Benton is an amazing author. I love these books. It was a quick easy read but, i want to be a scienctist when i grow up.
Kayla
Jan 17, 2012 Kayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book but it was really easy and at some parts confusing and wasn't really detailed but overall it was a good book.
Brooke
Nov 04, 2012 Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Franny K Stein is my 6 year old son's favorite books. Maybe it is because she invents things all the time and so does he. I wish there were more Franny books. We have read them all a few times.
Graphic Novels #1 1 1 Feb 11, 2017 04:00PM
  • The School Is Alive! (Eerie Elementary #1)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace (Frankie Pickle, #3)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mutant Mosquitoes from Mercury (Ricky Ricotta, #2)
  • Dracula vs. Grampa at the Monster Truck Spectacular (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #1)
  • Night of the Zombie Goldfish (Dr. Roach's Monstrous Stories #1)
  • Camping Catastrophe (Ready, Freddy!, #14)
  • Horrible Harry and the Drop of Doom
  • Stink and the Midnight Zombie Walk (Stink, #7)
  • Stick Dog Wants a Hot Dog (Stick Dog, #2)
  • Camp Babymouse (Babymouse, #6)
  • Miss Lazar Is Bizarre! (My Weird School, #9)
  • Summer Reading is Killing Me! (Time Warp Trio #7)
  • I Can Be a Pet Vet (Barbie) (Step into Reading)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Goes to Camp!
  • A Dream Come True (Magic Pony, #1)
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • Meet the Bigfeet
Benton began his career in a custom design t-shirt shop where he started designing his own characters. At the same time, Jim did illustrations and artwork for magazines and newspapers. People magazine named him "the most visible cartoonist in America" .

Benton also created greeting cards and worked in the magazine and publishing industry. In 1998, his SpyDogs characters became an animated series, T
More about Jim Benton...

Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist (7 books)
  • Lunch Walks Among Us (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #1)
  • Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #2)
  • The Invisible Fran (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #3)
  • The Fran That Time Forgot (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #4)
  • The Fran with Four Brains (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #6)
  • The Frandidate (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #7)

“For the love of all humanity, shake what your mama gave you!” 5 likes