Start by marking “Hannah Waters and the Daughter of Johann Sebastian Bach” as Want to Read:
Hannah Waters and the Daughter of Johann Sebastian Bach

Hannah Waters and the Daughter of Johann Sebastian Bach

An unforgettable tale of two lonely girls, born centuries apart, who change each other's lives Winner of the Sheila A. Egoff Children's Literature Prize
Governor General's Literary Award Nominee
A CLA Honour Book of the Year for Children

Catharina Bach sings only for her mother; she is too frightened of her famous father to even speak, let alone sing. Three centuries later,
Published August 22nd 2006 by Puffin

Be the first to ask a question about Hannah Waters and the Daughter of Johann Sebastian Bach

Brittany
I absolutely LOVED this book! Thank you Barbara Kathleen Nickel for coming up with this story. I'm also thankful and SO glad my cousin recommended it for me! This book, to me needed a review, so here is mine...

This book is for music lovers (people who play, would like to play, or just like the violin and J.S. Bach and his Concerto for Two Violins or just any music lover, really), history lovers, and people who like both the past and the present with real and fictional events in books! If you don
Neill Smith
Aug 05, 2011 Neill Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hannah has recently moved to Saskatchewan from Toronto after the death of her violinist mother and is the odd girl at her new school - because she’s from the big city, plays violin, father doesn’t drive, and all the other reasons kids might have to exclude her. Catharina, only daughter and eldest child of J.S. Bach, is virtually mute and virtually ignored by her famous father. But both girls’ lives revolve around Bach’s composition of the Concerto for Two Violins in D and the power of the music ...more
Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon.
Amazing, really draws you into the story. Good for violin players like ME. It also made me thankful that I didn't have terrible memories about that piece, and I could enjoy it.
Lillian
This is a MUST read for Suzuki violinists!!! I read this back when I was in Suzuki volume 5 for violin - around the same time when Hannah, the main character, was also in the same level as me. IT WAS SOOOOOOOO COOL!!! This was like, the most perfect book for me at the time, and it really inspired me to be a better violinist.

I really, really loved the plot. There's two stories in this book, one follows the events of Catharina in the 1700s, (BACH'S DAUGHTER!!!) and the other, Hannah, in today's pe
Annm
Feb 05, 2014 Annm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I think the author did a nice job understanding the emotions of the teo girls. This book also had special meaning for me, as I just played the Bach Double, the music featured in the ook, at my own recital.

I am also interested in writing fictional stories abut composer's lives, and this was a fine example f that.
Lisa
Sep 09, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kids-books
My daughter absolutely loved this book, as well as Nickel's other book about Mozart's sister. I can see why she enjoyed it, but found some of the dialogue stilted and scenes unbelievable, especially the spontaneous hoedown at a 6th grade assembly.
Nicolien
This book was really great! I found it interesting because the author is a friend of my aunt's. It was a MYRCA book a few years back.
♥Justine♥
I was simply amazing! It is so inspiring and whenever I was feeling discouraged this motivated me and I learned to enjoy violin more.
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2010
Evelyn
Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
May 09, 2010
Leanne
Leanne rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2010
Tyrone Jasper
Tyrone Jasper rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2012
Elise
Elise rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2009
Carmen
Carmen rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2012
Maelyis
Maelyis rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Brittany
Brittany rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2016
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2008
Alleyah
Alleyah rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2012
Karleah
Karleah rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2012
Nancy X.
Nancy X. rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2013
Claudia
Claudia rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2010
Macklin
Macklin rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
Charity
Charity rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2012
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2013
caroline
caroline rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Barbara Kathleen Nickel (born June 22, 1966 Saskatoon, Sasketchewan) is a Canadian poet.

She was raised in Rosthern, Saskatchewan. She graduated from Goshen College, and University of British Columbia with an M.F.A. She was the poetry editor of Prism International.

She moved to St.John's, Newfoundland, then back to British Columbia. She was on a panel at the 2005 Association of Writers & Writing
More about Barbara Kathleen Nickel...