Start by marking “Hannah Waters and the Daughter of Johann Sebastian Bach” as Want to Read:
Hannah Waters and the Daughter of Johann Sebastian Bach

Hannah Waters and the Daughter of Johann Sebastian Bach

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  9 reviews
An unforgettable tale of two lonely girls, born centuries apart, who change each other's lives Winner of the Sheila A. Egoff Children's Literature Prize
Governor General's Literary Award Nominee
A CLA Honour Book of the Year for Children

Catharina Bach sings only for her mother; she is too frightened of her famous father to even speak, let alone sing. Three centuries later,
Published August 22nd 2006 by Puffin

Be the first to ask a question about Hannah Waters and the Daughter of Johann Sebastian Bach

Neill Smith
Hannah has recently moved to Saskatchewan from Toronto after the death of her violinist mother and is the odd girl at her new school - because she’s from the big city, plays violin, father doesn’t drive, and all the other reasons kids might have to exclude her. Catharina, only daughter and eldest child of J.S. Bach, is virtually mute and virtually ignored by her famous father. But both girls’ lives revolve around Bach’s composition of the Concerto for Two Violins in D and the power of the music ...more
Brittany
I absolutely LOVED this book! Thank you Barbara Kathleen Nickel for coming up with this story. I'm also thankful and SO glad my cousin recommended it for me! This book, to me needed a review, so here is mine...

This book is for music lovers (people who play, would like or just like the violin and J.S. Bach and his Concerto for Two Violins or just any music lover, really), history lovers, and people who like both the past and the present with real and fictional events in books! If you don't like a
Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon.
Amazing, really draws you into the story. Good for violin players like ME. It also made me thankful that I didn't have terrible memories about that piece, and I could enjoy it.
Lily
This is a MUST read for Suzuki violinists!!! I read this back when I was in Suzuki volume 5 for violin - around the same time when Hannah, the main character, was also in the same level as me. IT WAS SOOOOOOOO COOL!!! This was like, the most perfect book for me at the time, and it really inspired me to be a better violinist.

I really, really loved the plot. There's two stories in this book, one follows the events of Catharina in the 1700s, (BACH'S DAUGHTER!!!) and the other, Hannah, in today's pe
Annm
I really enjoyed this book. I think the author did a nice job understanding the emotions of the teo girls. This book also had special meaning for me, as I just played the Bach Double, the music featured in the ook, at my own recital.

I am also interested in writing fictional stories abut composer's lives, and this was a fine example f that.
Lisa
My daughter absolutely loved this book, as well as Nickel's other book about Mozart's sister. I can see why she enjoyed it, but found some of the dialogue stilted and scenes unbelievable, especially the spontaneous hoedown at a 6th grade assembly.
Nicolien
This book was really great! I found it interesting because the author is a friend of my aunt's. It was a MYRCA book a few years back.
♥Justine♥
I was simply amazing! It is so inspiring and whenever I was feeling discouraged this motivated me and I learned to enjoy violin more.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Annmarie
Annmarie marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Tammy Sealock
Tammy Sealock marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Hana Kadach
Hana Kadach marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Erika Provenzano
Erika Provenzano marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Sam
Sam added it
Dec 09, 2013
Keely
Keely added it
Nov 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Barbara Kathleen Nickel (born June 22, 1966 Saskatoon, Sasketchewan) is a Canadian poet.

She was raised in Rosthern, Saskatchewan. She graduated from Goshen College, and University of British Columbia with an M.F.A. She was the poetry editor of Prism International.

She moved to St.John's, Newfoundland, then back to British Columbia. She was on a panel at the 2005 Association of Writers & Writing
More about Barbara Kathleen Nickel...
The Secret Wish of Nannerl Mozart Domain: Poems The Gladys Elegies From the Top of a Grain Elevator