Start by marking “After Fidel: The Inside Story of Castro's Regime and Cuba's Next Leader” as Want to Read:
After Fidel: The Inside Story of Castro's Regime and Cuba's Next Leader

After Fidel: The Inside Story of Castro's Regime and Cuba's Next Leader

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  141 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
This is a compelling behind-the-scenes account of the extraordinary Castro brothers and the impending dynastic succession of Fidel's younger brother Raul. Brian Latell, the CIA analyst who has followed Castro since the sixties, gives an unprecedented view into Fidel and Raul's remarkable relationship, revealing how they have collaborated in policy making, divided responsib ...more
Published October 14th 2005 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about After Fidel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Fidel

Louise
Aug 27, 2013 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, cuba
This is a well written bio. No histronics, no preaching, no selling of a viewpoint. The author is a former CIA officer and current teacher of the Cuban Revolution at Columbia U. He credits his sources by name, noting each person's relation to the events, which is welcome for the layman. While the title implies that the book is about "After Fidel", this topic comprises less than 1/4 of the text. While to predict the future, you need to know the past, the subtitle works better.

Latell defines how C
Jun 07, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"After Fidel" was written by a former CIA agent, reading as a personal account to his time on the case of Castro. It is an easy read, not bogged down with raw data. It offers the reader an interesting look at how Fidel and his siblings were raised, suggesting which particular parts of his character are more attributed to nurture versus nature. If you are looking for a "start to near-finish" about Fidel and "his Cuba", it is a great book for getting your feet wet.
Mark Nenadov
This book might be worth a read if you’d like to know what the American intelligence community thinks of Cuba and the Castro brothers. If, however, you’re looking for something a little more balanced and less polemical, I suggest you look elsewhere.

I have no naive admiration for the Cuban government. Cuba’s government has exhibited horrible aspects of totalitarianism. Any balanced treatment of the Castro brothers and the Cuban government will take them to task in various areas.

That said, for var
Thom
Apr 25, 2016 Thom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by a former CIA analyst, this book has a misleading title. It is really about the Castro brothers from childhood to when the the book was written. It's at least as much about Fidel as it is about Raul. The author uses a term, internationalism, as if it is an evil philosophy of Castro's and could have used more explanation. Not a gripping read, but nevertheless very informative about the history of Cuba, and much more than I ever read about in the current media. Was glad I read it, but no ...more
Ben
Jul 09, 2015 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great primer for those who haven't read any books about Castro or Cuba from 1950 to present. The title is a little misleading, as the book only begins to speculate on Cuba's future after Fidel in the last 30 pages of this slim volume. But I felt like I got to know Fidel, Raul, and our dysfunctional relationship with Cuba much better in the lead-up.
Don
May 04, 2014 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
The title may or may not be a misnomer. The book is mostly a dual biography of Fidel and Raoul, not so much about Cuba's future--but then again Raoul is Cuba's future. The book dispels my previous assumption that anybody would be better than Fidel--but maybe not--Raoul is the harder-core communist and the more practiced killer. What a family
Morgan Stell
Somehow simultaneously fascinating and boring.
I didn't know much about Fidel or his brother, but I know a lot more now. While most of it is interesting, it is dry facts like many biographies.
Jim Johnson
From the details in this biography, I found myself constantly thinking of Fidel as a person with a mental illness.
Cynthia
I had to read this book for Modern Latin American History and I was very interested to read about the thoughts and perspectives that Latell had on how Cuba would turn out under the direction of Raul Castro. The book fell flat on its face and did not live up to the title. Rather than focusing on Raul, Latell focused primarily on Fidel and and everything that Fidel had done, and every once in a while, Latell would mention Raul.

It was not what I was expecting and the title is extremely misleading.
Brendan
Mar 15, 2009 Brendan rated it it was amazing
This story is really fantastic. First it recounts the revolution (which involved sneaking over in basically a water skiing boat) and recounts what happened in Cuba and who what will happen next. The author is one of those insanity-types who has spent too much time on his own work. There is a hilarious part at the end where he gives examples of times where he made speeches on behalf of the National Intelligence office and then had Castro talk back to him via radio address in other speeches.
Lyn
Jul 18, 2011 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always been fascinated with Latin America and have been to some places, including Guantanimo Bay in Cuba. The embargo is silly, the way to beat Communists is to spend money. A few T-shirt stands on the beach, some tourist attractions earning a nice profit and the revolution won't seem so attractive. In my lifetime I want to see an MLB game in Havanna.
Richard
Feb 10, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: military
Some good insider information and observations . . . Mr. Latell may need some instruction on the translation of "Son of a bitch" from Spanish to English, and it's uses in everyday arguments, including relatives.
Zach
May 13, 2008 Zach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Provides an interesting analysis of not only Fidel, but also his brother Raul. The book states that while Fidel is the dramatic speaker/visionary, it is Raul who is the true idealogue and more pragmatic planner.
Nicko
Oct 05, 2008 Nicko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Foreign Policy Analysts
Recommended to Nicko by: CIA
In-depth biography of everything Fidel. Really in-depth, good for anyone to really fill out their knowledge of this oft misunderstood historic figure.
Michal Wigal
Good source of info on Fidel and Raul although I sometimes questions the authors objectivity.
Jose
Jan 06, 2013 Jose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good analysis of the future of Cuba and its relationship to the US after Fidel dies!(finally)
Donald Elton
Feb 26, 2011 Donald Elton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good history and analysis.
Johnsergeant
Just bought from Audible.com
Dan
Feb 10, 2007 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bios
Pending.
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Dougpaul
Dougpaul marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Gabriel Montoya
Gabriel Montoya rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Mo
Mo rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Ansell Borges
Ansell Borges rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Giovonni E
Giovonni E is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2016
Ina Cawl
Ina Cawl marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Cole Krug
Cole Krug is currently reading it
May 17, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Ruth Osorio
Ruth Osorio marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
  • The Rainy Season
  • World War I
  • Washington Schlepped Here: Walking in the Nation's Capital
  • The Osama Bin Laden I Know: An Oral History of Al Qaeda's Leader
  • History of the Conquest of Peru: With a Preliminary View of the Civilization of the Incas
  • Modern Latin America
  • Ice-Breaker: Who Started the Second World War?
  • Rivers of Gold: The Rise of the Spanish Empire from Columbus to Magellan
  • The Double Life of Fidel Castro: My 17 Years as Personal Bodyguard to El Lider Maximo
  • Things Can Only Get Better: Eighteen Miserable Years in the Life of a Labour Supporter, 1979-1997
  • El espejo enterrado
  • Nixon and Mao: The Week That Changed the World
BRIAN LATELL began tracking Cuba for the CIA in the early 1960s. Today, as Senior Research Associate at the Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies at the University of Miami, he continues as one of the most distinguished and frequently quoted experts. For a quarter century he taught Cuban and Latin American studies as an adjunct professor at Georgetown University. A former National Intelli ...more
More about Brian Latell...