Start by marking “Brooklyn Noir” as Want to Read:
Brooklyn Noir

Brooklyn Noir (Akashic Noir)

New York s punchiest borough asserts its criminal legacy with all new stories from a magnificent set of today s best writers. "Brooklyn Noir "moves from Coney Island to Bedford-Stuyvesant to Bay Ridge to Red Hook to Bushwick to Sheepshead Bay to Park Slope and far deeper, into the heart of Brooklyn s historical and criminal largesse, with all of its dark splendor. Each ...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Brooklyn Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brooklyn Noir

Shawn
I am intrigued by Akashic Books Noir series - the central idea, location-based crime anthologies, appeals on a general level (sense of place captured in writing styles), an organizational level (new cities! how will they differ?), a structural level (anthologies are a favorite of mine, although anthologies of contemporary writers, and themed anthologies less so - but more on that anon) and on a "broadening-my-horizons" level (I am an avid reader of many different "types" of fiction but I've yet ...more
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: One of the earliest of the acclaimed series of anthologies. A nice mix of regular PI stories and moody melodrama, salted with bits of neighborhood color; has little gloss but a good deal of emotion.

Stories by:
Pearl Abraham, “Hasidic Noir”
— a bit too much ethnic info, not enough noir but good characters and tricky plot
Nicole Blackman, “Dumped”
— devilishly fine revenge tale
Ken Bruen, “Fade to... Brooklyn”
— several kinds of crooks and criminals, moody
Maggie Estep, “Triple Harrison”
William Prystauk
Aug 22, 2009 William Prystauk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I inadvertently went from reading Selby’s “Last Exit” to this collection of short stories. Unfortunately, I don’t think any author truly captured the essence of Brooklyn. The tales could have come from just about any major city.

The stories ranged from first to third person and each tale was consistent with narrative. Although all of the stories were good, three truly stood out for me.

Ellen Miller’s “Practicing” was beautifully written and had the most depth. And of the four female authors, she w
Cari
Jan 03, 2010 Cari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving up on this book of short stories. Perhaps some day I will return to read basically the second half (note to future self - you stopped on page 195 - beginning of part III). I gave the book 2 stars because of the couple of stories I liked (see below). It only got 2 starts because of the last story I read: The Code by Norman Kelley. This story about a murderous, misogynistic (not a strong enough word) rapper ends (I guess this is a spoiler) in a horrible gang rape scene set up by a woman ...more
Tuxlie
Jul 29, 2015 Tuxlie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Akashic Books continues its award-winning series of original noir anthologies, launched in 2004 with Brooklyn Noir. This volume presents the first nonfiction collection in the series, curated by acclaimed novelists Tim McLoughlin and Thomas Adcock. Brand-new stories by: Robert Leuci, Dennis Hawkins, Tim McLoughlin, Thomas Adcock, Errol Louis, Denise Buffa, Patricia Mulcahy, C.J. Sullivan, Reed Farrel Coleman, Aileen Gallagher, Christopher Musella, Kim Sykes, Robert Knightly, Jess Korman, ...more
Judy
Dec 21, 2014 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this collection have several common, though not universal threads. Lots of trash-talk; lots of highly imaginative sex, nearly all of it from the perspective of the men, most of whom seem to care nothing about the women, other than about the sex; lots of drugs, drug dealers, drinking; lots of crime, more than a few cops and other law enforcers, some of whom are also criminals; lots of reversals (surprise!) at the ends of sordid tales; lots injuries and lots of death. Few pieces ...more
Walt Giersbach
Jan 22, 2014 Walt Giersbach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky to have been given this collection by a resident of Dumbo who knows my affinity for Pete Hamill and all of the colossus called New York City. And I wasn't disappointed. However, even if a few dead people turn up or murders are attempted in these stories, the book is less about mayhem and more a reflection of the grittier side of life.

The Noir Series is a clever hook on which to hang collections--though I don't know who'd be interested in a "Wichita Noir." Each piece is centered on a
Marie Michaels
Definitely a solid collection, but some of the stories sort of blend together. There are some winners here (come on, Hasidic noir!) and some that just left me deflated. One of the things I admire about noir is how sudden upsets in the story can come at you like a cruel left hook even as everything falls into place, and I think it was this deftness that was lacking in some of these stories. This should have been something I loved (Brooklyn! noir!), but in spite of some gems, I was a bit ...more
Beverly
Feb 01, 2016 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second "noir" book that I've read from the series and I really enjoyed both. Although I think someone that lives in the designated area might enjoy the stories more (I love reading books that are set somewhere and I recognize places that are mentioned), this is certainly not a prerequisite for enjoying them. The basic idea is that each author included is given a particular area in the named city and they are then to write a short story that is set there. Each book includes a map at ...more
Michelle
Jan 20, 2010 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't read every story because was disgusted by the language and topics. The stories were not suspenseful or enjoyable; most of the time they were just confusing or boring. I cared little for the character as there was little character development, even for the short story genre. The language was filled with swear words and crudity. One story seemed more a story about a father-daughter relationship, but there was little mystery to it. In the end, it seemed to just hint of something without ...more
Alex
Apr 04, 2007 Alex rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Noir fans living in Brooklyn?
Brooklyn AND Noir?!? Together in one book? OMG -How could Alex not love it? Well, for starters - these stories need editing. Badly. Some fun stories (like Ken Bruen’s)- but far too many mediocre tales seem to have been included for content as opposed to quality. Some of them read like first draft workshop submissions. Basic simple changes could have improved a number of these stories a great deal. Too bad. So sad. Maybe just combining so many genre voices makes hard-boiled seem over-easy.

Michael
Jun 14, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brooklyn Noir is a great commuting book. Some of the stories were excellent, and a few were a bit of a struggle to get through. I may try to edit this in the future to list the stories I really liked. Overall, I liked it as my first real trip into hard-boiled fiction. I would recommend it to anyone who is familiar with Brooklyn, as it highlights the many different neighborhoods. I will likely add Brooklyn Noir 2 & 3 to my to-read list.
Julia Taylor-Golbey
Once the style of narrative meant to display all that is warped and wrong about society (READ: the Great Satan that is American ideology)at the end of WWII, noir is no longer the domain of seedy '40's era Los Angeles or New York. However, noir does have a defined voice; a parameter that is pretty strict. Just because a behavior is lurid does not make it noir. Nope. It's just depraved behavior.

Alex Rogers
Aug 26, 2012 Alex Rogers rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I've enjoyed a couple of the "Noir" city series - and this one has enough in the way of good writing to make up for quite a few duds. Perhaps Vegas and Boston noir worked better, as there is less to romanticise about those cities, or perhaps just less has been written about them so the danger of falling into cliche is less - two faults glaringly apparent in this collection. But there were some gems, and on the whole the book is enjoyable.
Monica
Mar 07, 2008 Monica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are so many wonderful writers in Brooklyn, that I'm unsure why the stories chosen here are so poorly edited. I think it may be a problem with the series as a whole, as I also read New Orleans Noir and disliked that as well. I should also note: it is very, very complicated to make a book about New Orleans that I don't enjoy, but Akashic Books seemed to manage it.
Victor Caamaño
Sep 19, 2012 Victor Caamaño rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A great anthology of stories. Some of the tales fell flat, maybe a matter of taste. Some brought back the smells and sounds of Brighton Beach, Sunset Park and Park Slope. Not reading for the faint of heart, many moments of graphic sex and violence. Worth reading, certainly covers the hopeless, seamy side of life.
Aditi
Aug 15, 2016 Aditi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a collection of short stories written from an interesting lense. I found it very hard to understand what the point was of each story until close to the end when I became used to the stylistics. It basically showed a snapshot into the life behind the preconceived glamor of individuals living in brooklyn.
Emily
Mar 09, 2012 Emily rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, noir
I love short stories. These were some of the worst I've ever read. One read like an advertisement for Carmine's Restaurant on the Upper West Side. Most of them read like a bad Tarantino rip offs without the style or wit.
Zane
Feb 08, 2009 Zane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neighborhood specific noir stories, edited by the city. Some hit or miss, but worth it for the better stories.
Brian
Mar 26, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lou Manfredo is where it is at. Look for his new book coming out from St. Martin's press in the very near future.
Ben Arzate
Dec 04, 2012 Ben Arzate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few forgettable stories, but very enjoyable overall. Be aware, this collection defines "noir" pretty broadly.
Jerry Peace
Aug 04, 2014 Jerry Peace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My rating is based on one story, "Scavenger Hunt," by Neal Pollack. It will hang around my edges forever, like the whisper of Teri's fingers as she straightened my tie in 1968.
Reino
I like short stories I like mysteries and i like having some idea of the landscape all describe. It is a good idea, the collection I mean.

Louise
Oct 25, 2008 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories, each set in a Brooklyn neighbourhood and all with a dark twist to the story.
Irina D
Oct 08, 2011 Irina D rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
disappointing in that way you really hope detective books are not. it has a couple of good stories, but most of them are either just okay or downright bad.
Christeen
Well, I didn't finish it. I'm not even sure I made it through half. Not that awesome actually, despite my desire for things to be otherwise.
Valerie
Excellent gritty, raw and interesting stories about Ralph Cramden's urban home. Many of the tales have a nice twist. I found all but one-Practicing by Ellen Miller- well worth the read.
Steven
A good collection of stories although a few had disappointing endings. The stories involve crime, and take place in various Brooklyn neighborhoods, including one of my old neighborhoods.
Keith
Oct 28, 2007 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a little mystery
A good collection of mini mysteries, some of them were almost unreadable but many, I'd say 60% of of them, were amazing.
Ffiamma
Sep 09, 2013 Ffiamma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana
idea interessante (i diversi angoli di brooklyn come filo conduttore di questa raccolta di racconti), ma qualità scarsa sebbene siano presenti alcuni ottimi autori. deludente.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Miami Noir
  • Moscow Noir
  • London Noir
  • Havana Noir
  • Delhi Noir (Akashic Noir)
  • Haiti Noir
  • Paris Noir
  • Portland Noir
  • Wall Street Noir
  • D.C. Noir

Akashic Noir (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Baltimore Noir
  • Bangkok Noir
  • Barcelona Noir
  • Belfast Noir
  • Boston Noir
  • Boston Noir 2: The Classics
  • Bronx Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics (Akashic Noir)
  • Brooklyn Noir 3: Nothing But the Truth (Akashic Noir)
  • Buffalo Noir

“When the highest value in a community is loyalty to the greater cause, meaning the continuity of the status quo, all means to this end are imbued with religious significance, and are thereby justified.” 6 likes