Brooklyn Noir

Brooklyn Noir (Akashic Noir)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  36 reviews
New York's punchiest borough asserts its criminal legacy with all new stories from a magnificent set of today's best writers. "Brooklyn Noir "moves from Coney Island to Bedford-Stuyvesant to Bay Ridge to Red Hook to Bushwick to Sheepshead Bay to Park Slope and far deeper, into the heart of Brooklyn's historical and criminal largesse, with all of its dark splendor. Each con...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Brooklyn Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brooklyn Noir

Shawn
I am intrigued by Akashic Books Noir series - the central idea, location-based crime anthologies, appeals on a general level (sense of place captured in writing styles), an organizational level (new cities! how will they differ?), a structural level (anthologies are a favorite of mine, although anthologies of contemporary writers, and themed anthologies less so - but more on that anon) and on a "broadening-my-horizons" level (I am an avid reader of many different "types" of fiction but I've yet...more
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: One of the earliest of the acclaimed series of anthologies. A nice mix of regular PI stories and moody melodrama, salted with bits of neighborhood color; has little gloss but a good deal of emotion.

Stories by:
Pearl Abraham, “Hasidic Noir”
— a bit too much ethnic info, not enough noir but good characters and tricky plot
Nicole Blackman, “Dumped”
— devilishly fine revenge tale
Ken Bruen, “Fade to... Brooklyn”
— several kinds of crooks and criminals, moody
Maggie Estep, “Triple Harrison”
Walt Giersbach
I was lucky to have been given this collection by a resident of Dumbo who knows my affinity for Pete Hamill and all of the colossus called New York City. And I wasn't disappointed. However, even if a few dead people turn up or murders are attempted in these stories, the book is less about mayhem and more a reflection of the grittier side of life.

The Noir Series is a clever hook on which to hang collections--though I don't know who'd be interested in a "Wichita Noir." Each piece is centered on a...more
William D. Prystauk
I inadvertently went from reading Selby’s “Last Exit” to this collection of short stories. Unfortunately, I don’t think any author truly captured the essence of Brooklyn. The tales could have come from just about any major city.

The stories ranged from first to third person and each tale was consistent with narrative. Although all of the stories were good, three truly stood out for me.

Ellen Miller’s “Practicing” was beautifully written and had the most depth. And of the four female authors, she w...more
Cari
I'm giving up on this book of short stories. Perhaps some day I will return to read basically the second half (note to future self - you stopped on page 195 - beginning of part III). I gave the book 2 stars because of the couple of stories I liked (see below). It only got 2 starts because of the last story I read: The Code by Norman Kelley. This story about a murderous, misogynistic (not a strong enough word) rapper ends (I guess this is a spoiler) in a horrible gang rape scene set up by a woman...more
Michelle
Didn't read every story because was disgusted by the language and topics. The stories were not suspenseful or enjoyable; most of the time they were just confusing or boring. I cared little for the character as there was little character development, even for the short story genre. The language was filled with swear words and crudity. One story seemed more a story about a father-daughter relationship, but there was little mystery to it. In the end, it seemed to just hint of something without expl...more
Jerry Peace
My rating is based on one story, "Scavenger Hunt," by Neal Pollack. It will hang around my edges forever, like the whisper of Teri's fingers as she straightened my tie in 1968.
Carlos
While intriguing and true to the essence that is the Noir city collection, this one in particular left something to be desired. Although I enjoyed reading through it, a lot of the stories weren't all that interesting. A good deal of them were Noir worthy, but only a few truly seemed connected to Brooklyn.

I read the Havana Noir collection, and found those stories were very true to Havana, yet most of these could have happened in any urban setting in the States.

Overall, an easy read. If you enjo...more
Alex
Apr 04, 2007 Alex rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Noir fans living in Brooklyn?
Brooklyn AND Noir?!? Together in one book? OMG -How could Alex not love it? Well, for starters - these stories need editing. Badly. Some fun stories (like Ken Bruen’s)- but far too many mediocre tales seem to have been included for content as opposed to quality. Some of them read like first draft workshop submissions. Basic simple changes could have improved a number of these stories a great deal. Too bad. So sad. Maybe just combining so many genre voices makes hard-boiled seem over-easy.

Alex Rogers
I've enjoyed a couple of the "Noir" city series - and this one has enough in the way of good writing to make up for quite a few duds. Perhaps Vegas and Boston noir worked better, as there is less to romanticise about those cities, or perhaps just less has been written about them so the danger of falling into cliche is less - two faults glaringly apparent in this collection. But there were some gems, and on the whole the book is enjoyable.
Michael "Mick Dawg" Joseph
Brooklyn Noir is a great commuting book. Some of the stories were excellent, and a few were a bit of a struggle to get through. I may try to edit this in the future to list the stories I really liked. Overall, I liked it as my first real trip into hard-boiled fiction. I would recommend it to anyone who is familiar with Brooklyn, as it highlights the many different neighborhoods. I will likely add Brooklyn Noir 2 & 3 to my to-read list.
Monica
There are so many wonderful writers in Brooklyn, that I'm unsure why the stories chosen here are so poorly edited. I think it may be a problem with the series as a whole, as I also read New Orleans Noir and disliked that as well. I should also note: it is very, very complicated to make a book about New Orleans that I don't enjoy, but Akashic Books seemed to manage it.
Julia Taylor-Golbey
Once the style of narrative meant to display all that is warped and wrong about society (READ: the Great Satan that is American ideology)at the end of WWII, noir is no longer the domain of seedy '40's era Los Angeles or New York. However, noir does have a defined voice; a parameter that is pretty strict. Just because a behavior is lurid does not make it noir. Nope. It's just depraved behavior.

Victor Caamaño

A great anthology of stories. Some of the tales fell flat, maybe a matter of taste. Some brought back the smells and sounds of Brighton Beach, Sunset Park and Park Slope. Not reading for the faint of heart, many moments of graphic sex and violence. Worth reading, certainly covers the hopeless, seamy side of life.
Emily
I love short stories. These were some of the worst I've ever read. One read like an advertisement for Carmine's Restaurant on the Upper West Side. Most of them read like a bad Tarantino rip offs without the style or wit.
Steven
A good collection of stories although a few had disappointing endings. The stories involve crime, and take place in various Brooklyn neighborhoods, including one of my old neighborhoods.
Valerie
Excellent gritty, raw and interesting stories about Ralph Cramden's urban home. Many of the tales have a nice twist. I found all but one-Practicing by Ellen Miller- well worth the read.
Ffiamma
idea interessante (i diversi angoli di brooklyn come filo conduttore di questa raccolta di racconti), ma qualità scarsa sebbene siano presenti alcuni ottimi autori. deludente.
Antonella
I'm not too crazy about short stories but these are exceptional. It's a little more intersting if your from Brooklyn and you're famiiar with some of these places.
Irina D
disappointing in that way you really hope detective books are not. it has a couple of good stories, but most of them are either just okay or downright bad.
M. Newman
An excellent anthology of noir fiction, set in Brooklyn by authors including Pete Hamill, Maggie Estep, Neal Pollack, Pearl Abraham and others.
Christeen
Well, I didn't finish it. I'm not even sure I made it through half. Not that awesome actually, despite my desire for things to be otherwise.
Reino
I like short stories I like mysteries and i like having some idea of the landscape all describe. It is a good idea, the collection I mean.

Keith
Oct 28, 2007 Keith rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a little mystery
A good collection of mini mysteries, some of them were almost unreadable but many, I'd say 60% of of them, were amazing.
Zane
Neighborhood specific noir stories, edited by the city. Some hit or miss, but worth it for the better stories.
Ben Arzate
A few forgettable stories, but very enjoyable overall. Be aware, this collection defines "noir" pretty broadly.
Louise
A collection of short stories, each set in a Brooklyn neighbourhood and all with a dark twist to the story.
Emily
A couple of gems are in this collection-- I like the ones by McLoughlin and Hamill especially.
Armand D'Isselt
Another great edition in this awesome series. I loved it, just like all the others.
  • Phoenix Noir
  • Los Angeles Noir
  • New Orleans Noir
  • D.C. Noir
  • Portland Noir
  • Baltimore Noir
  • Haiti Noir
  • Boston Noir
  • Ghost Hero (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #11)
  • Twin Cities Noir
  • The Ice Harvest
  • Hades
  • A Hell of a Woman: An Anthology of Female Noir
  • Doppelgangster (Esther Diamond, #2)
  • The Night Watchman (Ray Quinn #1)
  • One Candlelit Christmas (The MacLerie, #4.5)
  • Classics Mutilated
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics (Akashic Noir) Heart of the Old Country Brooklyn Noir 3: Nothing But the Truth (Akashic Noir) The Sound Of Snapping Wires: A Selection Of Zimbabwean Short Stories New York City Noir: The Five Borough Set (Brooklyn Noir, Manhattan Noir, Bronx Noir, Queens Noir, Staten Island Noir)

“When the highest value in a community is loyalty to the greater cause, meaning the continuity of the status quo, all means to this end are imbued with religious significance, and are thereby justified.” 3 likes