Start by marking “The Pumpkin Patch Parable” as Want to Read:
The Pumpkin Patch Parable

The Pumpkin Patch Parable (The Parable Series)

Timeless story about
God's love for His children.

This charming story for children illustrates
how a loving farmer can turn a simple pumpkin into a simply glorious sight. In
the same way, God's transforming love can fill each of our hearts with joy and
light. Liz Curtis Higgs created this parable as a way to share the Good News
with her own precious children each harvest season
Board Book, 26 pages
Published September 6th 2010 by Thomas Nelson (first published August 11th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Pumpkin Patch Parable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pumpkin Patch Parable

Margaret Chind
I love Liz Curtis Higgs and her writing. Her Christian Historical Fiction novels were my introduction to the genre which for me today is a passion. I was delighted to discover she has also written a handful of children's novels in parable form with the gospel as the central message. I have an original copy of The Pumpkin Patch Parable from a few years ago, but when I heard that it was being republished as a giant board book, I was ecstatic!

After getting my hands on this giant board book, I'm ab
Honya
I fell in love with this charming picture book from the first time I read it with one of my students. The Pumpkin Patch Parable is great in that it presents an engaging story about a farmer and his crops on the surface–and that story and the pictures that accompany it are interesting in their own right. But beneath that, nearly everything in the story has a spiritual parallel that can be discussed (or simply planted in the heart of the child through the story itself), and each of these spiritual ...more
Skylar Burris
Sep 23, 2009 Skylar Burris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Just to make sure you don’t miss the meaning of this book, the author has titled it “parable,” placed a Bible verse on every single page, and directly stated the meaning at the end of the story. The author, apparently, wanted to make sure nothing was left up to the child’s imagination, which is probably why both of my children seemed to find this “alternative to Halloween” book boring.
Margaret Chind
I love this edition too, but read my review of the 2010 giant board book edition:

Amanda
Nov 01, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really cute story that can be read for Halloween without being scary at all. It goes through what a farmer has to do to grow a pumpkin and then make it into a jack-o-lantern for Halloween. On each page there is a Bible verse quoted (in very small type, I didn't even read that part to my son for fear of my losing his attention from the story) that talks about growing, seeds, lights, etc. that is explored in that part of the book. I read this the same day as I heard on the Christian radi ...more
Karen
I was handed this book by another Sunday School teacher and told I should read it to our rambunctious 2nd graders because it included the memory verse for the week.

I lost them on the second page when it said that a pumpkin was a vegetable and they all informed me that NO, IT WAS NOT- IT HAS SEEDS! There was no getting them back after that. Oh well.
Allie Redmon
Oct 30, 2013 Allie Redmon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book because I thought it was a great book to share with children in our outside of school. I do realize that some schools may not allow me to read this book because it does not have a view from other religions. But I figured you could read this book and then find a book about the day of the dead and their culture to help make your diverse.
This book is so great, I love the illustrations in it they are amazing and so detailed they bring the farmer and his pumpkins to life. I also
April Padalino
Feb 16, 2014 April Padalino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was n awesome book to share with my students at Halloween. I tend to take a more Harvest approach to that time of year and it ties in beautifully.
Skyler
I hope my other review didn't go threw, my laptop is touchy so I'm gonna try to rewrite it. This was a cute story, however the note the author wrote so you know what sorta story this is and its not a mindless goulish halloween story hit me sour. I know where she was coming from and what she was trying to accomplish but it did not pan over well with me. There are plenty of cute little wholesome halloween stories about fun lil monsters and ghosts that do have a good meaning behind them. Her approa ...more
Amy
May 09, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Picture book, religious
A wonderful, non-scary tale about Halloween that children can enjoy hearing and looking at. It is religious so it may not be appropriate for all settings, but has a wonderful message. I love this book as well as The Pine Tree Parable by the same author. I think this is a good book for young children and can be enjoyed whether you are religious or not.
ShaRhonda
Oct 11, 2012 ShaRhonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kaybrie
If there were more than five stars to rate with, I would give them all to this book! This has been a favorite in my home since my son, who is now 11 was 5. Now my daughter gets to have the alternative message of Halloween through a storybook unlike any others we own. Love this book.
Christina
Oct 25, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a beautiful story. The verses she picked to go with each step in the farmer's pumpkin adventure was perfect. What a wonderful autumn story for our children and a great way yo explain God's love to them.
Anne
This is a nice alternative to the typical Halloween fare, especially helpful if you avoid celebrating that particular holiday. It illustrates spiritual truth through the example of the "Jack-o-Lantern".
Joan Troyer
Jul 23, 2011 Joan Troyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I met Liz Curtis Higgs in 1997 up near Kalamazoo, MI. What a life story she has. Christ has changed her and what a writer she is. This is a great book for children for the Halloween/Fall Harvest season.
Jan 02, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my FAVORITE children's books of all time!! Good explanation of why we make Jack o laterns. Whether or not that is what it is based in, it can be your family's NEW TRADITION!!
Margaret Metz
I not only used this for my own family, but for Sunday School, AWANA and even for story time at Harvest celebrations and that kind of thing.
Dietra Henschel
Great book... Really good for Chidren
Judy"Intergalactic Bookworm"
Jul 07, 2008 Judy"Intergalactic Bookworm" rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Shelves: childrens
This is a great "refurbishing" of the meaning of the Jack-O-Lantern from a Christian perspective. The Farmer is really Jesus Christ.
Kim♥
Mar 15, 2008 Kim♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I've been reading this one to Blake since he was one and a half and he still loves it. This series is wonderful! :)
Hillary Hayman
Oct 15, 2012 Hillary Hayman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I loved the pictures in this parable about the light in a pumpkin and the light God can put into your life.
Tracy Ralston
Mar 06, 2012 Tracy Ralston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book about explaining pumpkins and how God makes us all unique. Nothing scary about this book.
Jodi
Oct 21, 2012 Jodi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fall/Halloween book for my preschool Sunday School class
Bonnie
Nov 04, 2013 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New parents
Shelves: read-aloud
These four books are a must for the family library.
Jennifer Short
Nov 08, 2010 Jennifer Short rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute book about how a pumpkin can make people smile.
Mindy Adams
Mar 23, 2013 Mindy Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good children's book.
Meg Vilter
Meg Vilter rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Katina Jones
Katina Jones marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Kendra
Kendra rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
  • The Very First Thanksgiving Day
  • Sarah Gives Thanks
  • The Berenstain Bears Show Some Respect
  • The Littlest Pumpkin
  • It's Pumpkin Day, Mouse!
  • Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving
  • Halloween Mice!
  • The Pumpkin Book
  • Three Young Pilgrims
  • Pumpkin Moonshine
  • Jacob's Gift
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Walter the Baker
  • Dream Big, Little Pig!
  • Too Many Pumpkins
  • Biscuit's Pet & Play Halloween
  • God Gave Us Love
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
Former Bad Girl, grateful for the grace God offers. Happy wife of Bill, one of the Good Guys. Proud mom of two grown-up kids with tender hearts. Lame housekeeper. Marginal cook. Pitiful gardener. Stuff I love? Encouraging my sisters in Christ—across the page, from the platform, online, in person. Unpacking Scripture. Traveling wherever God leads. Listening to his heart. Leaning into his embrace.
More about Liz Curtis Higgs...

The Parable Series (4 books)
  • The Parable Series: The Pine Tree Parable