The Pumpkin Patch Parable

The Pumpkin Patch Parable (The Parable Series)

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Timeless story about God's love for His children.
This charming story for children illustrates how a loving farmer can turn a simple pumpkin into a simply glorious sight. In the same way, God's transforming love can fill each of our hearts with joy and light. Liz Curtis Higgs created this parable as a way to share the Good News with her own precious children each harvest se...more
Board Book, 26 pages
Published September 7th 2010 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published August 11th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Pumpkin Patch Parable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pumpkin Patch Parable

Margaret
I love Liz Curtis Higgs and her writing. Her Christian Historical Fiction novels were my introduction to the genre which for me today is a passion. I was delighted to discover she has also written a handful of children's novels in parable form with the gospel as the central message. I have an original copy of The Pumpkin Patch Parable from a few years ago, but when I heard that it was being republished as a giant board book, I was ecstatic!

After getting my hands on this giant board book, I'm ab...more
Skylar Burris
Just to make sure you don’t miss the meaning of this book, the author has titled it “parable,” placed a Bible verse on every single page, and directly stated the meaning at the end of the story. The author, apparently, wanted to make sure nothing was left up to the child’s imagination, which is probably why both of my children seemed to find this “alternative to Halloween” book boring.
Margaret
I love this edition too, but read my review of the 2010 giant board book edition:

Amanda
This is a really cute story that can be read for Halloween without being scary at all. It goes through what a farmer has to do to grow a pumpkin and then make it into a jack-o-lantern for Halloween. On each page there is a Bible verse quoted (in very small type, I didn't even read that part to my son for fear of my losing his attention from the story) that talks about growing, seeds, lights, etc. that is explored in that part of the book. I read this the same day as I heard on the Christian radi...more
Allie Redmon
I picked this book because I thought it was a great book to share with children in our outside of school. I do realize that some schools may not allow me to read this book because it does not have a view from other religions. But I figured you could read this book and then find a book about the day of the dead and their culture to help make your diverse.
This book is so great, I love the illustrations in it they are amazing and so detailed they bring the farmer and his pumpkins to life. I also...more
April Padalino
This was n awesome book to share with my students at Halloween. I tend to take a more Harvest approach to that time of year and it ties in beautifully.
Skyler
I hope my other review didn't go threw, my laptop is touchy so I'm gonna try to rewrite it. This was a cute story, however the note the author wrote so you know what sorta story this is and its not a mindless goulish halloween story hit me sour. I know where she was coming from and what she was trying to accomplish but it did not pan over well with me. There are plenty of cute little wholesome halloween stories about fun lil monsters and ghosts that do have a good meaning behind them. Her approa...more
Amy
Genre: Picture book, religious
A wonderful, non-scary tale about Halloween that children can enjoy hearing and looking at. It is religious so it may not be appropriate for all settings, but has a wonderful message. I love this book as well as The Pine Tree Parable by the same author. I think this is a good book for young children and can be enjoyed whether you are religious or not.
ShaRhonda
If there were more than five stars to rate with, I would give them all to this book! This has been a favorite in my home since my son, who is now 11 was 5. Now my daughter gets to have the alternative message of Halloween through a storybook unlike any others we own. Love this book.
Christina
I found this to be a beautiful story. The verses she picked to go with each step in the farmer's pumpkin adventure was perfect. What a wonderful autumn story for our children and a great way yo explain God's love to them.
Anne
This is a nice alternative to the typical Halloween fare, especially helpful if you avoid celebrating that particular holiday. It illustrates spiritual truth through the example of the "Jack-o-Lantern".
Joan Troyer
I met Liz Curtis Higgs in 1997 up near Kalamazoo, MI. What a life story she has. Christ has changed her and what a writer she is. This is a great book for children for the Halloween/Fall Harvest season.
One of my FAVORITE children's books of all time!! Good explanation of why we make Jack o laterns. Whether or not that is what it is based in, it can be your family's NEW TRADITION!!
Margaret Metz
I not only used this for my own family, but for Sunday School, AWANA and even for story time at Harvest celebrations and that kind of thing.
Dietra Henschel
Great book... Really good for Chidren
Judy"Intergalactic Bookworm"
Jul 07, 2008 Judy"Intergalactic Bookworm" rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Shelves: childrens
This is a great "refurbishing" of the meaning of the Jack-O-Lantern from a Christian perspective. The Farmer is really Jesus Christ.
Kim♥
I've been reading this one to Blake since he was one and a half and he still loves it. This series is wonderful! :)
Hillary Hayman
I loved the pictures in this parable about the light in a pumpkin and the light God can put into your life.
Tracy Ralston
Excellent book about explaining pumpkins and how God makes us all unique. Nothing scary about this book.
Jodi
Great fall/Halloween book for my preschool Sunday School class
Bonnie
Nov 04, 2013 Bonnie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New parents
Shelves: read-aloud
These four books are a must for the family library.
Jennifer Short
Very cute book about how a pumpkin can make people smile.
Lisa Morrow
Lisa Morrow marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Jaguar
Jaguar added it
Sep 04, 2014
Lisa Moorhead
Lisa Moorhead marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Former Bad Girl, grateful for the grace God offers. Happy wife of Bill, one of the Good Guys. Proud mom of two grown-up kids with tender hearts. Lame housekeeper. Marginal cook. Pitiful gardener. Stuff I love? Encouraging my sisters in Christ—across the page, from the platform, online, in person. Unpacking Scripture. Traveling wherever God leads. Listening to his heart. Leaning into his embrace.
More about Liz Curtis Higgs...
Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can Learn from Them Thorn in My Heart (Lowlands of Scotland, #1) Whence Came a Prince (Lowlands of Scotland, #3) Fair Is the Rose (Lowlands of Scotland, #2) Grace in Thine Eyes (Lowlands of Scotland, #4)