Start by marking “Snow Pony” as Want to Read:
Snow Pony

Snow Pony

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  237 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Three years of drought have reduced the Riley's farm to a dirt patch and strained the family to breaking point. Dusty's only consolation is her wild and beautiful horse, the Snow Pony. Together they seem unstoppable. A trip to the mountain's to muster the family's cattle promises a fresh start, but when sudden violence erupts, Dusty and her horse find themselves tested as ...more
Published 2001 by Allen & Unwin

Amy Laurens
Mar 28, 2012 Amy Laurens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those lovely, poignant stories that linger with you for a long time afterwards. I had to read it over a period of days, even though it was physically a short book, just so that I could savour it and let it all sink in. And after I finished, I literally couldn't pick up another book that night; my mind was too full of all I'd read. Beautiful.

Set in the highlands of Australia, The Snow Pony tells the story of Dusty and the beautiful mountain brumby that only she can ride. Despite th
Faith
Mar 22, 2012 Faith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Snow Pony was once a wild horse and is now Dusty's horse. Every thing seems perfect, except for the drought. Many people are leaving the town and everyone with cattle is losing money. Dusty understands this when her father is depending on her to make money for the family through horse jumping contests. These two are unstoppable and might just save the day.

Reasons why I like this book-

Reason 1- I could imagine what was happening.

Reason 2- I couldn't stop reading.

Reason 3- I felt as if I was t
Brenda
First of all, I liked this book better than I anticipated. Initially, I chose it because it had a horse on the cover (yeah, I know, kinda juvenile of me....but I still love a good horse story), and I have liked Alison Lester's picture books, and thought I would try a chapter book by her. For anyone who has loved the "Man from Snowy River" films, this book will make you feel right at home. And while it is a good Australian outback story, with horses, it is more than that. It is a story of belongi ...more
Niamh
Jun 16, 2016 Niamh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book, one of the best I have ever read. (I was lucky enough to buy the 15th anniversaries edition!) This book is one to be read at full pelt. Although, it does have some themes, so I would not recommend it to anyone under 12. I loved how there was always some light throughout the story, and many problem, some bigger than others. It just goes to show, family came stay together, if their meant to be.
I loved this book!
Grace Yang
Sep 05, 2011 Grace Yang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-reading
The Snow Pony is one of those books where it's kind of boring in the beginning but then gets more interesting in the middle. It's a great adventure story about a girl, her family, and wild horses. If I made a list of the categories this book is in, it would be a long list.
The book is in two parts. The first part is about riding and training her new horse, and the second part is about adventure and surviving.
The most intense chapters to me were 17, 20, and 23. I would recommend this book to some
Nadia Taranta
Sep 03, 2011 Nadia Taranta rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aniaml-books
I didn't like it very much. It was about a girl who got a pony and her dad captured it from the wild. I think she should just have left it there and go and get her own horse at a breeder or something. It was more about the girl then the horse. It was short. I didn't like it. It was easy to read.
Annie
Oct 07, 2008 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hardly remember what this book is about except that the girl changes the wall paper to make her room look bigger, there is a grumpy man that it actually nice, and there is a bratty-ish girl character, but I read it a zillion times when I was in about first grade.
Ashlyn
Dec 17, 2011 Ashlyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is NOT for little kids. it has some not good things in it. i would wait till your older to read!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jess
Oct 09, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
slow at the beginning but extremely exciting at the end! Not only for horse lovers it is not even really about horses.
Christine Meunier
Jul 04, 2013 Christine Meunier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very realistic and great read for early teens. More at http://equus-blog.com/the-snow-pony/
Mad
Apr 13, 2013 Mad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
its about a girl that meets a pony in the snow and no one else could ride it.
Ruby Greaves
Oct 04, 2010 Ruby Greaves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very good book for older readers
Eg. 12-18
Caity
Aug 03, 2010 Caity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great book i would read it any day
Rose
Oct 07, 2010 Rose rated it really liked it
The snow pony by Alison Lester (2001)
Samantha
Jul 15, 2008 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horsey people
Recommended to Samantha by: ME MOMMY
a great horsey tale!
Gabrielle
Aug 27, 2013 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it :) great read!! :D
Rachel (Sfogs)
Dec 25, 2008 Rachel (Sfogs) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice story!
Lori Posten
Lori Posten marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Nichola
Nichola marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Ellika
Ellika rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Sarah Lambie
Sarah Lambie rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Kim Hampton
Kim Hampton marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Ellie Garner
Ellie Garner marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Tiega Williams-Orr
Tiega Williams-Orr rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Chelsie
Chelsie marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
  • The Silver Brumby and Wild Echoes Ringing
  • The Diamond Princess and the Magic Ball (The Jewel Kingdom, #8)
  • My Little Pony: Applejack and the Honest-to-Goodness Switcheroo
  • Dragonlinks (The Jelindel Chronicles #1)
  • Nurse Matilda Goes to Hospital
  • The Enchanted Horse
  • A Friend for Einstein, the Smallest Stallion
  • Jelly Belly
  • The Paw Thing
  • Secret Scribbled Notebooks
  • Little Black, a Pony: Liishzhiin Yazhi [With CD]
  • Blaze Finds the Trail
Has a son Lachie Hume, who is also a published children's book author.
More about Alison Lester...