Girl in Buckskin

Girl in Buckskin

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Escaped from a dismal servant's life, orphaned Becky Pumroy and her brother Eseck find adventure in the American wilderness and a new life among the Indians.
Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages
Published October 29th 1990 by Fawcett (first published 1956)

Chris
Given that this book was written in 1956 it's no surprise that there is some outdated language and ideology within it despite that it was a decent read. It has a weird abrupt ending as others have said but I was pretty ok with that, it was better than not knowing when to end and dragging it on and on. The time frame was somewhat unbelievable, the whole book takes place within a year but it seems like it would have made more sense to stretch it out for at least a few years. I did enjoy the charac...more
Kate
Good J/YA survival story along the lines of The Sign of the Beaver with a bit of outdated language (repeated use of "squaw", for example) and a sudden ending. I very much enjoy reading the J fiction of mystery authors like Gilman or Charlotte MacLeod.
Kimberly Laabs
I read this in the '60s in my youth. Absolutely loved it. It was my fantasy life for much of my growing up. It made me think about resiliency, frugality, respect for nature and what it means to be a good person. Some of the terminology may not hold up the best with time or be the best written book - but certainly made an impact on me.
Bridget
I think I read this book about 100 times when I was kid. I credit this book and Island of the Blue Dolphins with my completely illogical and untested belief that I could survive in the woods and build myself a house no matter how unlikely it is.
Cindy
This had great historical reasearch and I enjoyed learning how the Indians of the early 1700's lived and functioned. It was a great young adult book and quite fasinating.
Donya
This book is weirdly amazing. A white girl leaves her home as a servant to escape a forced marriage - and goes to live with the Indians.
Foggygirl
I loved this book and still have it on my bookshelf.
Janell
Ok story but an abrupt and ridiculous ending!
Lynda
Read years ago and enjoyed.
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Ewa
Ewa marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Beth Garrett
Beth Garrett marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Jane Chizmar
Jane Chizmar marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Lara Lundy
Lara Lundy marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Me
Me marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Leistnerj
Leistnerj marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Elisa Street
Elisa Street marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Janene
Janene marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Liralen
Liralen marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
What's The Name o...: YA historical novel about indentured girl [s] 5 37 Sep 30, 2013 06:59PM
Name under which American mystery/spy fiction author Dorothy Gilman writer young adult books.

She is most well-known for the Mrs. Pollifax series about spy and grandmother Emily Pollifax, who chooses to become a spy in her 60s, and who stars in fourteen books written over three decades.
Gilman's books tend to feature uncommon, unique characters, often travelling to exotic locales.

Gilman attended Pe...more
More about Dorothy Gilman Butters...
The Calico Year Bells of Freedom Masquerade Enchanted Caravan Four-party line