Start by marking “Girl in Buckskin” as Want to Read:
Girl in Buckskin

Girl in Buckskin

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Escaped from a dismal servant's life, orphaned Becky Pumroy and her brother Eseck find adventure in the American wilderness and a new life among the Indians.
Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages
Published October 29th 1990 by Fawcett (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Girl in Buckskin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl in Buckskin

Given that this book was written in 1956 it's no surprise that there is some outdated language and ideology within it despite that it was a decent read. It has a weird abrupt ending as others have said but I was pretty ok with that, it was better than not knowing when to end and dragging it on and on. The time frame was somewhat unbelievable, the whole book takes place within a year but it seems like it would have made more sense to stretch it out for at least a few years. I did enjoy the charac ...more
Good J/YA survival story along the lines of The Sign of the Beaver with a bit of outdated language (repeated use of "squaw", for example) and a sudden ending. I very much enjoy reading the J fiction of mystery authors like Gilman or Charlotte MacLeod.
Kimberly Laabs
I read this in the '60s in my youth. Absolutely loved it. It was my fantasy life for much of my growing up. It made me think about resiliency, frugality, respect for nature and what it means to be a good person. Some of the terminology may not hold up the best with time or be the best written book - but certainly made an impact on me.
I think I read this book about 100 times when I was kid. I credit this book and Island of the Blue Dolphins with my completely illogical and untested belief that I could survive in the woods and build myself a house no matter how unlikely it is.
This had great historical reasearch and I enjoyed learning how the Indians of the early 1700's lived and functioned. It was a great young adult book and quite fasinating.
This book is weirdly amazing. A white girl leaves her home as a servant to escape a forced marriage - and goes to live with the Indians.
I loved this book and still have it on my bookshelf.
Ok story but an abrupt and ridiculous ending!
Read years ago and enjoyed.
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Amanda Caraker
Amanda Caraker marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Sadey-Ellen marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Colleen Willumson
Colleen Willumson marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Eileen marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Avery Black
Avery Black marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Gabrielle Cox
Gabrielle Cox marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Denise marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Janine marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Peggy Gray
Peggy Gray marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
What's The Name o...: YA historical novel about indentured girl [s] 5 37 Sep 30, 2013 06:59PM
Author Dorothy Gilman Butters wrote children's stories for more than ten years, before she switched to writing adult novels under the name Dorothy Gilman . She is most well-known for the Mrs. Pollifax series about a woman in her '60s who chooses to become a spy.

Gilman attended Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in 1940–1945 and the University of Pennsylvania 1963–1964.

Gilman is a Unitarian Univer
More about Dorothy Gilman Butters...
The Calico Year Bells of Freedom Masquerade Witch's Silver Enchanted Caravan