Start by marking “Killswitch (Cassandra Kresnov, #3)” as Want to Read:
Killswitch (Cassandra Kresnov, #3)

Killswitch (Cassandra Kresnov #3)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  852 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Two years after the unhatching of Callayan President Neiland's plot to make the capital city of Tanusha the center of the Federation, Callay is under siege. So begins the third installment of this gripping trilogy from an exciting new sci-fi author.

A powerful faction of conservative Fleet captains has surrounded Callay, at Earth's behest, and is threatening a blockade - or
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Killswitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killswitch

Stefan
Jun 24, 2010 Stefan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Killswitch, the final book in Joel Shepherd’s CASSANDRA KRESNOV trilogy, picks up the story 2 years after the end of Breakaway. The Federation is still going through a period of upheaval, with Callayan President Neiland trying to make Tanusha the capital of the formerly Earth-based organization, and numerous powerful factions (including Federation Fleet warships) converging on the planet to try and affect the outcome of this political power play.

Meanwhile, Callay is still in the process of setti
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Great end to the series. Cassandra get all that she wished for, just not in the way she wanted. Again start with the first book, don't start in the middle or the end.
Alan
Jul 07, 2016 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This installment in the Cassandra Kresnov series comes two years after Breakaway, and some things have changed for Cassandra and her best friend Vanessa Rice. Rice is now a major is the Defense Force, and no longer heading up SWAT Team 4, and Cassandra is essentially the key figure is putting together Callay's defenses as it moves towards becoming the new seat of the Federation government.

There remain factions on Earth not pleased with this turn of events. The Federation's Earth centric Fifth F
Clay Kallam
May 07, 2013 Clay Kallam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In another trilogy that features a female protagonist, the third installment of Joel Shepherd’s Cassandra Kresnov series, “Killswitch” (Pyr, $9.98, 450 pages), finally made it into my American hands, long after I read the first two in their Australian versions (Shepherd lives in Adelaide). Surprisingly, I was immediately back up to speed in this novel about an advanced combat android known as a “GI”, Sandy Kresnov, who abandoned her creators to live in a free society where she could become more ...more
Ryun
Jul 31, 2010 Ryun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things finally are coming to a head for sexy one-woman army Cassandra Kresnov: a de facto occupying fleet is surrounding her newly adopted homeworld of Callay, there’s a superhuman killer loose that seems strangely familiar, and her boyfriend’s just told her that there’s a self-destruct mechanism inside her skull.

KILLSWITCH – the third book in Joel Shepherd’s series that started in Australia in 2001 and was brought to North America last year by Pyr with CROSSOVER and BREAKAWAY – is another remar
Alisa Russell
Aug 31, 2012 Alisa Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book of the Cassandra Kresnov series, and I will have to say I enjoyed it as much as the other two. Hard-hitting action, military sci-fi, philosophical questions about the meaning of life-it was all in there and made me think as well as being an enjoyable read. For someone who is not supposed to be human, Cassandra Kresnov sure has a good handle on what it means to be human. I have also read and enjoyed the first two books of this series and would love for the author to revisit ...more
Shara
Dec 21, 2011 Shara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this has been a pretty enjoyable trilogy. It's ambitious and intellectual, action-packed but yet intimate. Shepherd's greatest strength are characters you can really emphasize with and the amazing level of his diverse, culturally relevant world-building. Also enjoyable is the fact he really does have some strong, heroic women leads, and multiple leads at that, which is really awesome. [return][return][return]For a full review, which does include some spoilers, please click here: http:// ...more
Tony Hisgett
I have enjoyed the first two books in this series, but I have been waiting for the story to really take off. Unfortunately after reading the first half of this book I was beginning to think this was a backward step.

This story is just too chaotic, everybody is the enemy, too many actions are just haphazard. It’s as if the author couldn’t work out where to take the story so just threw in new characters and plots at random, like a ‘beat em up’ computer game. Perhaps his target audience is the ‘Call
Kevin
4.5*

Excellent conclusion to a great trilogy. Cassandra Kresnov remains a great character and this final installment suffers from far less pacing problems than the first book. Joel Shepherd has grown as much as a writer as his main character has as a person over the course of this series.
Patrick
Apr 27, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, there is some really great writing in this series - some great writing for key characters, but the author can get a little bogged down in minutia sometimes. As a result the book can feel like it's dragging a bit re. each main story.
Lushr
Apr 08, 2015 Lushr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some seriously lazy writing and the second half of the ebook riddled with typographical errors seriously impinged on my enjoyment of this book. I pretty much skip all descriptive stuff now, the last chapter is a perfect example, Sandy is asked a question, and two pages later she answers.

But if you skip straight to about page 115 you'll get dumped right in the action, which is incredible. It's just that the fleshed out characters have become soapy, and the other characters remain caricatures whic
Robert
Dec 23, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Quite good - made a nice round out of the trilogy. Continue to find the technological word and Cassandra's place in in interesting
Heather Mayes
Jan 01, 2014 Heather Mayes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this series for the same reason I really enjoyed Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Becky
Nov 11, 2010 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Commander Kresnov kicks butt and takes names. REALLY like this character.
Ralph McEwen
Oct 06, 2012 Ralph McEwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Shara's(Calico Reaction)review. The books should be read in order.
David Brawley
Oct 01, 2014 David Brawley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
3rd book in the series. Just a fun as the others!
Rich Willson
Nov 10, 2014 Rich Willson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Badass Grrl!!
Mike Finn
“Killswitch” carries straight on from “Breakaway”. Cassandra has completed her transformation in the eyes of the Kalian public from feared killer fembot android to kick-ass hero, defending the planet and helping to lead the planetary defence force. We’ve almost reached the point where people might think that GI super-soldiers are a good thing. Then Joel Shepherd mixes things up in intriguing ways.

Firstly, it turns out that Cassandra is not so invulnerable after all, there is a killswitch in her
Steve
May 28, 2011 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third installment of the Cassandra Kresnov saga (are there more?). I quite enjoyed it. Better possibly that the previous two, the author seems to be getting the hang of the genre. There is plenty of action, Sandra meets her ‘sister’ and nemesis, spends time with her friends, time in hiding, and sorts out a blockade of Callay by rouge agents of the Federation. The whole ‘kill-switch’ idea of the novels title is a bit lame really and fills up chapters that could have been spent with th ...more
Hélène
Dec 31, 2011 Hélène rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, ebook
Same problems as in Cherryh's Alliance-Union Universe : what is human ? How can a government control expansion through the galaxy ? What do you do with Fleet when the war ends ? In France, we call the Army "la grande muette", the great mute, because soldiers aren't supposed to take side on the political ground. But, ever since the Roman Empire, history demonstrates this is a sham. So, an army turned truant.

The reading sometimes felt haltingly. I guess Shepherd wanted us to feel how data run thro
Steven Allen
The Cassandra Kresnov books are getting better each one that I read. Good action especially at the beginning and ending of this book, separated by a lot of political B.S. and governmental wrangling. Some scenes were a little predictable and some outcomes I had guessed at from previous books, but still a good read. I like how Cassandra did not suddenly fall into Vanessa's arms after Vanessa confessed that she is in love with Cassandra. One thing that I like about the character of Cassandra is tha ...more
Matthew
The author still incorrectly uses the word "Arabic" to describe people, and I'm not sure that describing a person's eyes as "oriental" is particularly accurate either (at least without regard to the direction they're pointed).
William Raths
I keep reading these books more for their potential than for what they actually are...
Nathan
Another fun Cassandra Kresnov book. There's the same amount of action and intrigue as the previous two books, and that gets built upon with the inclusion of two more artificial human "GIs" that provide sharp contrasts to Cassandra and help prove just how human she really is, despite her being an android.

Good exploration of what it means to be human, but the ending left too many loose ends and was a bit too... flip. It could have ended closer to the final fight scene and been better. As written,
Craig
Dec 10, 2015 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Sequel to Crossover and Breakaway. Either not as good as the first two or my interest is waning. Not a recommended starting point to the series as there is little explanation of the characters' backgrounds or the previous books.

Re-read 9/13. It's *not* as good as the first two, but not all that much worse. Will leave at 3 stars though. Number 4 in the series is out any day now.

Re-read 12/15. Not sure where my head was, with the first reading especially. Easy, very easy 4 stars.
Brian Mccamey
Jan 28, 2015 Brian Mccamey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with the previous books, this was a great read ! I am always looking for the next one... and I am starting it today!!!!
Topher
Jul 30, 2011 Topher rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, spy-tech-etc
The end of the Cassandra Kresnov trilogy - a decently written story, and easy read, and a good end to the series. Considering the author appears to have done nothing with the character in 7 years, I'm going to remove this one from my "series in progress" list of books, and make my life just a little more manageable *cheer*
Shen
Oct 25, 2008 Shen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sciencefiction
didn't really enjoy this one at all. it felt like it was written because he had to write it not like there was another story there to come out.
Diana
plot sounds much more interesting than the second novel... here's to high hopes!! =D
Marsha Johnson
Androids learning to be human. It's an old idea but it's a fun series.
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • Furious (Kris Longknife, #10)
  • Prince of Storms (Entire and the Rose, #4)
  • Engaging the Enemy (Vatta's War, #3)
  • Valor at Vauzlee (A Galaxy Unknown #2)
  • MultiReal (Jump 225, #2)
  • The Third Claw of God (Andrea Cort #2)
  • Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1)
  • Mirrored Heavens (Autumn Rain #1)
Joel Shepherd is an Australian science fiction author. He moved to Perth, Western Australia with his family when he was seven, where he later studied film and television arts at Curtin University. He now lives in Adelaide.
More about Joel Shepherd...

Cassandra Kresnov (6 books)
  • Crossover (Cassandra Kresnov, #1)
  • Breakaway (Cassandra Kresnov, #2)
  • 23 Years on Fire (Cassandra Kresnov, #4)
  • Operation Shield (Cassandra Kresnov, #5)
  • Originator (Cassandra Kresnov, #6)

“Perfection of the system is not a prerequisite for loyalty,” Ramoja said sharply. “If it were, neither of us would choose the jobs we hold. If the system is flawed, then fixing it is merely another part of the job. Our loyalty comes from our commitment to the values that underpin the system, not the system itself.” 0 likes