Start by marking “Turn Back Time: The High Street - 100 Years of British Life Through the Shop Window” as Want to Read:

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  3 reviews
BBC One brought the story of the great British high street to life in a series in whichfive modern-day shopkeepers and their families were challengedto run their shops exactly as they would have been run in six key eras of British history, from the 1870s to the 1970s.This book accompanies the television series, telling the remarkable story of how the rise and fall of the h
Published November 1st 2010 by Quercus Publishing Plc (first published October 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Turn Back Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turn Back Time

Andrew
This is not the first time I have expressed my regret at not knowing more about what my school used to called "modern" history. That regret linked to televisions simplified look at the subject made the TV series and this accompanying book fascinating to me. Living in a market town does bring a lot of the details in to focus for me and it gives a new depth to the stories I hear from my parents and their friends.

The book however is more than just a companion it provides more information and facts
Helen
I really enjoyed the TV series of Turn Back Time, I know it's a cliché but it genuinely brought history to life, and the book provides some very interesting background to accompany the series.

I particularly enjoyed the chapter on the Victorian high street, back when the retail trade required real hands-on skills and knowledge, such as learning to blend teas and make cheese and butter from scratch.
I also liked the chapter on the wartime high street, the 'Dig for Victory' campaigns and the 'make
Kentishbookworm
A good popular history of the British High Street. Easy to read and very interesting.
Debbie Gilpin
Debbie Gilpin marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Rosina
Rosina marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 14, 2012
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2012
Tabbetha
Tabbetha is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2012
Pierre-philippe
Pierre-philippe marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2012
Amanar
Amanar marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2012
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2011
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2010
Myths  &  Legends: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings Mythology The British Monarchy for Dummies Religions Titanic: Disaster at Sea [With Poster]