Start by marking “The High Street: 100 Years of British Life Through the Shop Window” as Want to Read:
The High Street: 100 Years of British Life Through the Shop Window

The High Street: 100 Years of British Life Through the Shop Window

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  10 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
BBC One brought the story of the great British high street to life in a series in whichfive modern-day shopkeepers and their families were challengedto run their shops exactly as they would have been run in six key eras of British history, from the 1870s to the 1970s.This book accompanies the television series, telling the remarkable story of how the rise and fall of the h
Hardcover, Turn Back Time, 272 pages
Published November 1st 2010 by Quercus Publishing (first published October 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The High Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The High Street

Andrew
Aug 26, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it
This is not the first time I have expressed my regret at not knowing more about what my school used to called "modern" history. That regret linked to televisions simplified look at the subject made the TV series and this accompanying book fascinating to me. Living in a market town does bring a lot of the details in to focus for me and it gives a new depth to the stories I hear from my parents and their friends.

The book however is more than just a companion it provides more information and facts
Helen
Jul 30, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the TV series of Turn Back Time, I know it's a cliché but it genuinely brought history to life, and the book provides some very interesting background to accompany the series.

I particularly enjoyed the chapter on the Victorian high street, back when the retail trade required real hands-on skills and knowledge, such as learning to blend teas and make cheese and butter from scratch.
I also liked the chapter on the wartime high street, the 'Dig for Victory' campaigns and the 'make
Kentishbookworm
Jan 03, 2011 Kentishbookworm rated it it was amazing
A good popular history of the British High Street. Easy to read and very interesting.
Alessandra
Alessandra marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Alessia Zani
Alessia Zani is currently reading it
Oct 09, 2015
Samuel Brancato
Samuel Brancato marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Luca Fornasaro
Luca Fornasaro marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Giulia
Giulia marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
John Hobkinson
John Hobkinson rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Vince Marsters
Vince Marsters rated it really liked it
May 25, 2014
Debbie Gilpin
Debbie Gilpin marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Tamara
Tamara rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Irma
Irma rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Christie
Christie rated it did not like it
Feb 12, 2013
Rosina
Rosina marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2012
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2012
Tabbetha
Tabbetha is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2012
Pierre-philippe
Pierre-philippe marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2012
Jennifer rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2011
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2010