Start by marking “Mr. Putter & Tabby Catch the Cold” as Want to Read:
Mr. Putter & Tabby Catch the Cold

Mr. Putter & Tabby Catch the Cold (Mr. Putter & Tabby #11)

Even though Tabby tries to keep him warm, Mr. Putter catches a cold in this cozy addition to the series.
Published October 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Putter & Tabby Catch the Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Putter & Tabby Catch the Cold

Susan Katz
Jan 13, 2010 Susan Katz rated it it was amazing
The perfect Mr. Putter for a cold January day. In this particular episode in the wonderful Mr. Putter and Tabby series, Mr. Putter gets a cold and Mrs. Teaberry's good dog Zeke woofs to the rescue as the errand-dog who brings the patient soup, tea, and adventure. In the end, Mr. Putter enjoys the best cold he's ever caught - and so does the reader! This book should be sold at the drugstore right next to the other cold remedies.
Sep 29, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I like the Mr. Putter books. They are fun to read to children, as well as being a great beginner reader. This book follows the pattern of all the Mr. Putters and would be a great book to read to a child who has a cold or is home sick.
Amy
Aug 01, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Amy by: Katrina
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
This Mr. Putter & Tabby book elicited several "awwws" from my niece. Really a sweet book, and Mrs. Teaberry's good dog Zeke is just unbearably cute in this one! Wonderful heartwarming story!
Caroline Shields
Title: Mr. Putter and Tabby Catch the Cold
Author: Cynthia Rylant
Illustrator: Arthur Howard
Genre: Early Reader
Theme(s): Colds, Animals, Neighbors
Opening line/sentence: Mr. Putter and his fine cat, Tabby, loved the snow.
Brief Book Summary: When Mr. Putter gets a cold, Tabby is there to comfort him. He used to love getting colds as a boy and would often read adventure books while he was sick. Now, he gets help from his neighbor, Mrs. Teaberry and her good dog, Zeke to make him feel better.
Profe
Molly Lamson
William loved these Mr. Putter books!
Logan
Jan 03, 2011 Logan rated it it was amazing
Logan (age 6.5) loves cats and we've read the Mr. Putter series for a couple of years now. This is one of our favorites. Mr. Putter is sick and longs for the days when his mother "spoiled" (I hate that word, but that's what's in the book) him by fixing him soup and tea and bringing him adventure books. Enter his lovely neighbor Mrs. Teaberry and her good dog Zeke. These tender and funny stories celebrate friendship and kindness, and are some of the few books that portray aging as a part of life ...more
Andd Becker
Aug 25, 2012 Andd Becker rated it liked it
The story is delightful. The illustrations by Arthur Howard are superb. What makes the story of high interest is the interaction with neighbor Mrs. Teaberry and her dog Zeke.
Mr. Putter and Tabby are enjoying a cozy room with warm tea and warm muffins. They are watching the snow fall. But something is missing.
That something, apparently, is the presence of a neighbor's dog. Zeke comes over with a thermos strapped to his back. Chicken soup. He leaves, then returns with another thermos. This one
Jenna
Poor Mr. Putter catches a cold. When his neighbor offers to bring him some soup he tells her he doesn't want her to catch his cold. So he and his cat, Tabby, snuggle in together. Surprisingly, Zeke, the neighbor's dog shows up with soup and a good book. Mr. Putter, Tabby, and Zeke all settle in to read and wait for the soup to work its magic.

I had never read any of the Mr. Putter books, so this was a new experience for me. It was a short, easy read, but also enjoyable. I caught myself laughing o
Rosa Cline
Dec 17, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is an easier to read chapter book. Mr Putter is an elderly man with his beloved cat. He starts not feeling well and remembers what his mother used to do when he didn't feel good. His neighbor calls and hears in his voice he doesn't feel well. But he doesn't want her to come and catch the same cold. But she sends her dog over with soup, then tea and then he asks about a book and it's the dogs favorite book. so the Dog comes too. Between the friendships he has he starts feeling better. Cute b ...more
Melissa Trumbo
What a charming book to read. It's cold out and Mr. Putter catches a cold. His cat is part of the story and helps try to make him feel better. His neighbor calls and offers assistance to help him. I love that she sent soup and tea over in thermoses on her dog. The animals are just as much part of the story. Mr. Putter wants to read a book, so his neighbor says she has on but it's her dog's favorite, so he'll have to come over and read it with him. Mr. Putter, his cat and the dog are all in bed t ...more
Chantelle
May 11, 2015 Chantelle rated it it was amazing
My son and I both thoroughly enjoyed every book in this series (through #18; the rest weren't published / available at our library yet). Mrs. Rylant's sentence structure is simple enough for beginning readers to enjoy but don't let that fool you! Each book contains an engaging plot, clever & silly humor, and underlying themes of friendship, thoughtfulness, and responsibility. We spent many hours laughing together at the (mis)adventures of Mr. Putter, Tabby, and their friends. We were excited ...more
Alex Lawrence
Mar 01, 2012 Alex Lawrence rated it it was amazing
These were the most fun books that i read when i came from Ukraine because they were fun and chalanging for me at that time. I remember reading 25 a week of these books. I probobly read at least a hundred or more.
kristen
Jun 17, 2012 kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a great series for 1st and 2nd grade readers. Great stories and illustrations. This one, in particular, is a standout to me because of Zeke the dog and Mr. Putter's fond memories including adventure books helping him feel better through a cold.
Dolly
Sep 22, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2010
We love Cynthia Rylant's stories and the Mr. Putter and Tabby series is a fun one. We enjoyed this tale and thought it was hilarious that Zeke was the messenger, bringing soup and tea and comfort to Mr. Putter.
Amber Pangburn
Dec 12, 2011 Amber Pangburn rated it really liked it
This is about a man who got a cold and he didn't have any friends. His neighbor then helped by having the dog bring over soup and a comic book. I would use this in a classroom to help teach the students to help their neighbors.
Blake
Apr 09, 2016 Blake rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary
The illustrations in this series are fantastic! See my review of Mr. Putter & Tabby Write the Book for more about the series. This series should definitely be a staple in a lower elementary classroom for early readers that are excited and proud that they are beginning to read "chapter" books.
Kristine Hansen
Jul 14, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-easy-reader
Poor Mr. Putter - he's sick. But has just the RIGHT kind of cold to really enjoy it. I recalled just being that sort of sick as a child and loving the time spent sick in bed. This recaptures all of that just perfectly. Loved it!
Shannon
Mar 23, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
No clue when we first read this one. This is the coziest sick-day read you'll ever find, complete with not one, but two pets to snuggle with.
Renee' Viness
Mar 12, 2013 Renee' Viness rated it it was amazing
The kids at our grandson's school just loved hearing this book, when I read it. They laughed and otherwise became involved in the story. It was a very enjoyable interactive book.
Karen
Jul 13, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
These Mr. Putter & Tabby books are so incredibly sweet, and surprisingly complex for their limited and simple vocabulary. This one was especially endearing.
Alaina Sloo
May 15, 2013 Alaina Sloo rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite early reader series. Sweet, gentle stories that many kids love, perfect for kindergarten through 2d grade.
Jessica
Jan 27, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Really cute. My kids loved the picture at the end of them all curled up. I am getting a soft spot for Zeke!
Christy
Nov 30, 2012 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reader
For use in schools and libraries only. When Mr. Putter catches a cold, his friend Mrs. Teaberry sends over some special treats to help him feel better.
Gail Harcourt-Brown
Gail Harcourt-Brown rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2008
David
David rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2017
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2015
Robin Harris
Robin Harris rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2010
Ashik Chowdhury
Ashik Chowdhury rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2011
Cyndi
Cyndi rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2015
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Cat
  • Iris and Walter
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Partners
  • Spunky Tells All
  • Houndsley and Catina and the Quiet Time (Houndsley and Catina, #3)
  • Upstairs Mouse, Downstairs Mole
  • Fancy Nancy: The Show Must Go On
  • Elliot and the Last Underworld War (Underworld Chronicles, #3)
  • The Case of the Missing Jelly Donut
  • Uncle Elephant
  • P. J. Funnybunny Camps Out
  • Nate the Great Saves the King of Sweden
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Fly Guy vs. the Flyswatter! (Fly Guy, #10)
  • Thanksgiving at the Tappletons'
  • The Golly Sisters Go West
  • Brownie Groundhog and the February Fox
  • The Munschworks Grand Treasury
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

Mr. Putter & Tabby (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea