Sparks from a Nine-Pound Hammer: Poems

Sparks from a Nine-Pound Hammer: Poems

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Winner of the Levis Reading Prize "Tell me a story / of speed and tell it to me fast for the light is / gaining and I will wake and with this body / break the barrier between what I dream / and what my dreaming means." Sometimes a fact swings down like a hammer and we are changed. The fact of loss, the fact of desire, and all the wild, unruly facts of history hammer down a...more
Published March 1st 2001 by Lsu Press

To ask other readers questions about Sparks from a Nine-Pound Hammer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sparks from a Nine-Pound Hammer

Scafidi has a knack for building poems that unfold a cosmic sense of time. Very little is bound to the arc of a human lifetime, or even to human history. Instead, the losses and loves evoked in the poems are placed in the context of a much grander scale of history, and so paradoxically take on both more weight and less. I enjoyed that slightly dizzying feeling, which was reinforced by whirling run-on sentences and careening turns of enjambment.

One drawback of the book came in moments when sonic...more
Ksenija
scafidi is a staple of my bedside table, to read a poem or two before going to sleep. i was introduced to his poetry when garrison keillor featured "prayer for a marriage" in his book "good poems," and have found that this slim volume was well worth the special order purchase.
Donnelle
Jul 25, 2007 Donnelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all poets . . .
If you have yet to read the poetry of Steve Scafidi . . . then you are in for a real treat . . . this is a poet with much to say . . .
Aran
Aug 25, 2011 Aran rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Good in a run-on breathless way. Very good out loud.
Rona
Rona marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Mark Allen
Mark Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Chaneli
Chaneli marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Clare Oldham
Clare Oldham marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Kody
Kody marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Jules Hucke
Jules Hucke marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
Logan
Logan marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Bob
Bob added it
Mar 12, 2013
Jeannette
Jeannette marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
Hales
Hales marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2012
Margarita
Margarita marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
For Love of Common Words: Poems The Cabinetmaker's Window To the Bramble and the Briar: Poems The Cabinetmaker's Window: Poems (Southern Messenger Poets)