Start by marking “The Goodbye Time” as Want to Read:
The Goodbye Time

The Goodbye Time

As long as she can remember, twelve-year-old Anna has lived in the same Upper West Side apartment with her parents and genius brother Tom; she's attended the same close-knit private school and had the same best friend, Katie.
But then something changes. Katie's brother, who's severely mentally challenged, gets violent with her mother, and now he's going to have to live in
Published April 5th 2011 by Yearling (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Goodbye Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goodbye Time

Rossy
Mar 04, 2015 Rossy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started hating it, I admit it, lol! The first few pages, when the girls pretend to be characters of a show they watch, bored me.
But, fortunately, I continued reading and found a great short story about friendship, change, and family.
It's recommended for young readers, but I think anyone could relate somehow to the story, we've all been there, somewhere when our friendships go through emotional turmoils and we don't know how to save them.
Annie
Jul 20, 2011 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not what I thought this book would be about. I mistakenly thought, based on the sweet cover and small size, that this would simply be a book about friendship. It is so much more than that - and the content is a little more mature than the cover would suggest as well. I think of this as a step-up, maturity-wise, from Allie Finkle. The main character, Anna, and her best friend, Katy, have very different lives. They are right on the cusp between being children and young adults, and as su ...more
KConaway
Mar 09, 2009 KConaway rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristi
Apr 11, 2011 Kristi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Read this for a realistic fiction genre study on special needs... the character with special needs was a very minor part of the story. The cover is misleading - I thought it took place in the 50s, but it takes place in present-day Manhattan. First person narrative - moderate pacing, choppy plot. Parents seem to be just vehicles for advice and explanation. Author tried to tackle too many issues with this one slim book (98 pages): change/new beginnings, imaginary play, first kiss, friendship (figh ...more
Catherine  Mustread
Sep 17, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catherine by: New book display at Peoria Library
Shelves: childrens
Too preachy for me: "change happens, life is unfair, friends aren't always nice, and sometimes endings precede beginnings". Would classify as a friendship story for middle grade girls (talk of dresses and periods would be off-putting to most boys) but at less than 100 pages might not meet teacher requirements. Print could easily have been made one size bigger to stretch this thin novel out a bit farther...
Ingrid
I really enjoyed this book. Anna and Kate are best friends in spite of their very different lives. Anna comes from a stable, loving family while Kate's family is more complicated. Their friendship is tested and for a while Kate wont have anything to do with Anna. It is a great story of girls having to face some adult problems and realizing the importance of real friends.
Rosiea
Jan 02, 2009 Rosiea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young girls and their mothers
Recommended to Rosiea by: a colleague
Ms. Conway does it again with this wonderful coming of age novel.  I bought this for my niece and decided to read it before shipping.  The author remembers all the drama, angst, wonder and magic of adolescence.   This book reminded me how the world felt to me when I was same age as Anna and Katie.   These are characters you know well in your heart.  I recommend this book highly.

Apr 29, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
This is a short sweet look at a friendship in transition from childhood to adolescence. The characters are believable and the pacing is steady. I don't think children will love this book, but it is certainly likeable. The cover is eye-catching.
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
Fifth graders who are best friends...one's poor, ones not. One girl has a mentally ill brother that gets put in a home. She takes it out on her best friend then they are friends again.......
It was okay....
Geneva
Nov 24, 2014 Geneva rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tweens
Rating is actually 2 1/2 stars. I didn't dislike the book but it did lack a bit of character development. However, it covered some big issues in a good way - although cursory. As you can see by my writing I am very mixed about this book.
Gloria
It was good. Short, fast. Good. I don’t know what I expected but I don’t think I expected what it was. But I thought it was good.
Silva Ruth
Jul 30, 2015 Silva Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful book for any age (I read it at 18). Wonderful to look back at this point of view and see how these experiences apply in a life at any age.
Ashley
Jan 02, 2014 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For such a short book, this was a surprisingly sophisticated snapshot of the two very different lives of a pair of best friends. The story could have been longer and more in-depth.
Theresa
May 19, 2013 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book didn't really ring true to me. It had elements of a great story but it just seemed kind of phony to me. There were some interesting parts though.
Em
Jun 24, 2009 Em rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenagers
It talks about difficults in friendship and talking to your parents as u get older.It is really good
Emma Ketch
Emma Ketch rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2010
Savannah
Savannah rated it did not like it
Jun 22, 2015
Tonia Bottoms
Tonia Bottoms rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Deni
Deni rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2014
Rosanna Lang
Rosanna Lang rated it really liked it
May 29, 2010
Weezie Payton
Weezie Payton rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2012
Alice Au Yeung
Alice Au Yeung rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2010
Sar326
Sar326 rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2010
Shannon
started slow, LOVE THE COVER, but couldn't get into the story.
Kczarnecki
Kczarnecki rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2009
Amy Cook
Amy Cook rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2009
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 21, 2015 04:29PM
Celeste Conway is a published author of children's books and young adult books. Published credits of Celeste Conway include The Melting Season, Where Is Papa Now?, The Goodbye Time, and When You Open Your Eyes.
More about Celeste Conway...