Start by marking “Symbolist Art” as Want to Read:
Symbolist Art

Symbolist Art

Though the Symbolist heyday in Paris was short-lived, the movement had an influence on painting in both duration and geographical range. Important Symbolist painters were at work in places as remote from one another as Munch in Oslo, Klimt in Vienna, and the young Picasso in Barcelona. It is through Symbolism, too, that the relationship between the English painting of the ...more
Published June 26th 1985 by Thames & Hudson Ltd. (first published December 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Symbolist Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Symbolist Art

J.M. Hushour
May 11, 2016 J.M. Hushour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Symbolist movement is usually seen as a largely literary affair, confined to local little islands of thought. Lucie-Smith's goal with this book is to restore Symbolism in painting to its proper place within the arts in Europe in general and, more importantly, to remind us of its location on the trajectory towards what is called Modernism.
Symbolism was the piece linking Romanticism and all that crap to the emergence of artists like Picasso (whose early work was exemplary Symbolism). Movements
Greg
Mar 15, 2013 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this in the 1970's, when I was into Surrealism. The Symbolist's were a big influence on the Surrealists. This was a good time of my life, exploring and getting to understand all these areas of art.
I enjoyed reading this again.
Symbolism was an important movement, one of the foundations for modernism. Writers were as much a part of the movement as artists were. Literature and poetry and painting mutually inspired and influenced each other. The Symbolists drew inspiration from a diver
Nate D
A broad if cursory overview of an extremely interesting period. Useful! Heavy on the pictures, which is great, though not nearly so many are in color as I might have liked.
Macie
Mar 29, 2009 Macie rated it liked it
The first time I read this book, it served as a relatively comprehensive introduction to Symbolist Art. Over fifteen years and many, many books later, I still find this to be a good starting point for studying the movement. There is a lot missing, and I wouldn't have necessarily made the same choices about what to include, but this is a solid, accessible overview.
Erik Graff
Mar 27, 2008 Erik Graff rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: persons wanting to know about symbolist art
Recommended to Erik by: Janny M. Willis
Shelves: art
This is the book that introduced me to the symbolist and pre-Raphaelist art movements after a friend had noticed my liking for Burne-Jones, Rosseti and other members of the movement. I cannot rate the book without rating the pictures, most of which I loved.

Symbolism is a payoff for doing your homework in the sense that it plays on the West's rich history of symbolic motifs (many of them Christian and mediaeval) and legends. The works themselves are usually quite representational, albeit idealize
Jerome
Sep 05, 2008 Jerome rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I read this book while doing research for my undergrad thesis on Huysmans. Lucie-Smith's text was very helpful for understanding the various strands of romanticism, pre-Raphaelite, decadent, and other movements that coalesced into "symbolist art." This is not a big book -- the reproductions don't allow for much detail; but the 185 illustrations, 24 in color, are a good sampling of the movement, and gave me a glimpse at some of the artists whose work I was unable to find elsewhere.
Emily
Mar 22, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
This book is a great introduction to Symbolist art and it's origins. It acts as a great first taste for those who know little on the topic. Each chapter is organized quite well by important artist, and there is also plenty of mention of popular literature and music of the time, which highly influenced all the artists mentioned.
Chelsea H
May 10, 2012 Chelsea H rated it it was ok
Good overview but the assumptive scholarship drove me crazy. He makes some big claims that aren't very well supportive and has a lot of subjective statements. I know it's just a survey but I found it maddening.
Dfordoom
Aug 27, 2011 Dfordoom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, art
Excellent overview which emphasises the influence of the Pre-Raphaelites on the Symbolists.
Reanne
Reanne rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2012
michka (bennu) rad
michka (bennu) rad rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2007
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Gregorio
Gregorio rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2011
Adrian Stevenson
Adrian Stevenson rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2017
Tamsin
Tamsin rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Matt Spahr
Matt Spahr rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Elise
Elise rated it liked it
May 19, 2015
Vance
Vance rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2014
Yasmine
Yasmine rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Steve Morrison
Steve Morrison rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Devin
Devin rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Christina Scholz
Christina Scholz rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Sherezade
Sherezade rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2017
Mina
Mina rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2009
Olly
Olly rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2011
Allie
Allie rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2009
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2013
Raluca
Raluca rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
John Edward McKenzie Lucie-Smith, known as Edward Lucie-Smith, is an English writer, poet, art critic, curator and broadcaster.

Lucie-Smith was born in Kingston, Jamaica, moving to the United Kingdom in 1946. He was educated at The King's School, Canterbury, and, after a little time in Paris, he read History at Merton College, Oxford from 1951 to 1954.

After serving in the Royal Air Force as an Educ
More about Edward Lucie-Smith...