Symbolist Art

Symbolist Art

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Though the Symbolist heyday in Paris was short-lived, the movement had an influence on painting in both duration and geographical range. Important Symbolist painters were at work in places as remote from one another as Munch in Oslo, Klimt in Vienna, and the young Picasso in Barcelona. It is through Symbolism, too, that the relationship between the English painting of the...more
Published June 26th 1985 by Thames & Hudson Ltd. (first published December 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Symbolist Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Symbolist Art

Greg
I first read this in the 1970's, when I was into Surrealism. The Symbolist's were a big influence on the Surrealists. This was a good time of my life, exploring and getting to understand all these areas of art.
I enjoyed reading this again.
Symbolism was an important movement, one of the foundations for modernism. Writers were as much a part of the movement as artists were. Literature and poetry and painting mutually inspired and influenced each other. The Symbolists drew inspiration from a diver...more
Nate D
A broad if cursory overview of an extremely interesting period. Useful! Heavy on the pictures, which is great, though not nearly so many are in color as I might have liked.
Macie
The first time I read this book, it served as a relatively comprehensive introduction to Symbolist Art. Over fifteen years and many, many books later, I still find this to be a good starting point for studying the movement. There is a lot missing, and I wouldn't have necessarily made the same choices about what to include, but this is a solid, accessible overview.
Erik Graff
Aug 14, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: persons wanting to know about symbolist art
Recommended to Erik by: Janny M. Willis
Shelves: art
This is the book that introduced me to the symbolist and pre-Raphaelist art movements after a friend had noticed my liking for Burne-Jones, Rosseti and other members of the movement. I cannot rate the book without rating the pictures, most of which I loved.

Symbolism is a payoff for doing your homework in the sense that it plays on the West's rich history of symbolic motifs (many of them Christian and mediaeval) and legends. The works themselves are usually quite representational, albeit idealize...more
Jerome
Sep 05, 2008 Jerome rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I read this book while doing research for my undergrad thesis on Huysmans. Lucie-Smith's text was very helpful for understanding the various strands of romanticism, pre-Raphaelite, decadent, and other movements that coalesced into "symbolist art." This is not a big book -- the reproductions don't allow for much detail; but the 185 illustrations, 24 in color, are a good sampling of the movement, and gave me a glimpse at some of the artists whose work I was unable to find elsewhere.
Chelsea H
Good overview but the assumptive scholarship drove me crazy. He makes some big claims that aren't very well supportive and has a lot of subjective statements. I know it's just a survey but I found it maddening.
Dfordoom
Excellent overview which emphasises the influence of the Pre-Raphaelites on the Symbolists.
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Prizm Tungsten
Prizm Tungsten marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Toyah
Toyah added it
Feb 22, 2014
Kayboy
Kayboy marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Milagros Lugo-amador
Milagros Lugo-amador marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Enrique Olivares
Enrique Olivares marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Jenny
Jenny added it
Jul 02, 2013
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
Taya Petrenko
Taya Petrenko marked it as to-read
May 11, 2013
Jason Manford
Jason Manford marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Movements in Art since 1945: Issues and Concepts Art Today Sexuality in Western Art Joan of Arc (Classic Biography) Ars Erotica: An Arousing History of Erotic Art