Jesus: the Only Way to God: Must You Hear the Gospel to be Saved?

Jesus: the Only Way to God: Must You Hear the Gospel to be Saved?

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  38 reviews
If the evangelical church at large was ever too confrontational in its evangelism, those days are gone. In our shrinking, pluralistic world, the belief that Jesus is the only way of salvation is increasingly called arrogant and even hateful. In the face of this criticism, many shrink back from affirming the global necessity of knowing and believing in Jesus. In Jesus, the...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2010 by christianaudio

To ask other readers questions about Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus

Adam
I think this book was just alright, but maybe better than I expected in some ways. This is my first book to read by Piper, though I've obviously heard a lot about him and have read excerpts of things he's written before. I really like the topic of the book, and I think it's intriguing and an important question that most Christians will/should consider at some point in their Christianity. Actually, the interesting thing is that even while I was reading it, a brand-new believer asked me the same q...more
Greg Wilson
Must you hear the gospel to be saved? Piper answers a resounding yes. He actually breaks it down into three questions that he answers yes to. Is there an eternal hell of conscious torment to be rescued from? Is the death and resurrection of Christ essential for that rescue? Do people need to hear this good new and believe it in order to be rescued? Since the Bible answer to all these questions is yes, then the truly loving thing to do is to tell people the truth. You may be labeled arrogant, nar...more
Pastoralmusings
Through the years there have been those who have decided that perhaps people can come to God without Jesus. Some have declared that those who reject Jesus are annihilated. Others claim that the condemned eventually are brought to repentance after a period of punishment. Then others tell us that those who have never heard of Jesus can actually come to God by following the knowledge that they have from nature. A Hindu who is a good Hindu can come to God without consciously believing Jesus.
The ques...more
Steve Hemmeke
Piper wrote this book to demonstrate to the reader the necessity of missions to yet-unreached lands. If people believe that the “innocent” natives who have never heard the Gospel will not be condemned, they will not have a compelling motive for evangelizing them. Piper writes to convince us that conscious faith in the name of Jesus is required for salvation.

Overall this was a good book. Piper makes a convincing case that unreached people are condemned and without excuse. They need to hear about...more
Lillie
Piper argues that the Bible says that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Jesus is the only name by which we are saved. Piper explains that universalism (all roads lead to God) and annihilationism (unbelievers are simply destroyed and do not suffer eternal punishment in hell) are not Biblical. As much as we would like to believe that someone who hasn't heard of Jesus will be saved that belief is contrary to Scripture, which should create a sense of urgency for missions and for each of us...more
Alexis Neal
Baptist preacher and self-proclaimed Christian hedonist John Piper addresses the question of whether it is possible to be saved apart from Jesus. (Hint: His answer is No. Which, in an increasingly pluralistic society, is a deeply unpopular answer.)

In explaining his conclusion, Piper breaks the issue down into three separate-but-related questions:
1. Will anyone experience eternal, conscious torment under God's wrath?
2. Is the work of Jesus necessary for salvation?
3. Is conscious faith in Jesus
Frank Peters
John Piper is an outstanding man of God who says he is on a mission to correctly represent God’s word. Throughout this short book, he systematically examines all of the relevant biblical passages while discussing the in what sense the bible teaches that Jesus is the only way to heaven. His purpose was not only to eliminate any biblical base for a belief in universalism, but to extend his views in an attempt to dismantle a biblical case for any form of inclusivism. While attempting to do this, I...more
Travis
Is it necessary for a person to have actual, conscious faith in Jesus Christ in order for them to be reconciled to God? Do those who either refuse Jesus or who simply never hear of Jesus spend an actual eternity in hell under the wrath of Almighty God? In Jesus, the Only Way to God, John Piper addresses these questions in his inspiring, helpful, and typically thorough style.

Positive

Simply put, Piper nails this issue with the word of God. He is not arrogant, belittling of others, or sensational...more
Tung
Modern society holds tolerance as one of the most central of all virtues. Because of this, many in American churches have softpedaled Christianity’s central message of Christ as the only means of salvation in order to tolerate and respect other faiths. In this book, John Piper examines the related questions: Does hell exist, and if so, what is it? Is Christ the only means of escaping hell? Is conscious faith in Christ the only way to salvation? Piper takes on universalism, inclusivism, and plura...more
Kevin Bensema
John Piper presents an argument that all people need to hear the Gospel to be saved. It follows from these propositions:
1) The entire human race has sinned and offended God.
2) The punishment for such sin is eternal.
3) Man cannot atone for this sin by his own means.
4) By grace through faith in Christ, man can be saved from eternal punishment.
5) Apart from the grace of Christ, there is no satisfaction for man's sin.
6) Man can come to the grace of Christ by hearing the Gospel.
7) Without being preac...more
Ben Zajdel
For starters, this is a good book. Piper does a great job of stating his case, which is three fold: 1. Hell is a place of eternal, concious torment. 2. Humanity is saved by the work of Jesus Christ on the cross and through his resurrection. 3. A person must hear the gospel in order to be saved.

Piper presents his views clearly and succintly, and even includes some correspondence with John Stott, with whom he disagrees about issue number one.

I do, however, disagree with some of his conclusions, in...more
Sushant
Good book.

Piper does a thorough job of arguing from scripture that a conscious faith in Jesus is necessary for salvation. He does this by demonstrating that there is real eternal conscious torment for unbelievers, that the work of Jesus is the only basis to be saved from that torment, and how natural revelation is insufficient to save those who have never heard of Jesus.

This book is for Christians who struggle with questions regarding the existence of hell, the exclusivity of Jesus' claim as t...more
John Brackbill
This is a short helpful read. The kind of book that I will have handy to give to a Christian who is struggling with the implications of the necessity for all people to have conscious faith in Christ for salvation.

While dealing with this issue he raises the issue of annihilationism (I was pleasantly surprised that he took on John Stott explicitly regarding this)and universalism.

It is written in a very accessible way though like the other Piper books I have read he does not just give the answers...more
Coyle
As with most of Piper's books, this little work was theologically solid, expositionally clear, and a bit underwhelming in terms of its style (I maintain that Piper is the greatest living preacher, but that doesn't always transfer over into being a phenomenal writer).
This book is an excellent introduction to the question of whether pagans and other non-believers who seem to be sincerely seeking some sort of religious experience can be considered "believers." Piper gives the traditional and ortho...more
Wade
This is an excellent book about the necessity of sharing the Gospel. Piper uses a substantial amount of Scripture quotations and Scripture references, and more importantly, he is very faithful to use the Scripture references in their context (as opposed to just taking random verses out of context in an attempt to bolster his opinion) as he lays out what the Bible says about Jesus being the only way to get to God and have eternal life. He deals with some seriously tough topics (such as hell) very...more
Ben
This little book provides a solid exegetical look at the reasons why Jesus is the only way. Although some may disagree on some points, the overall charge to the church is to proclaim and defend that Christ is "the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through" Jesus.
Brian
This book was intensely helpful for getting a full side of the debate between universalism, inclusivism and exclusivism. (Incidentally I needed the book only just after it had been published.)

Piper basically deals with three questions: Is hell real? Is Jesus the only way of salvation? (and) Can people be ignorant of their own salvation?

I naturally agree solidly with Piper on the first and lean on the third, but unfortunately, the book's rhetoric is lacking. Piper goes through the tried and true...more
Don Bryant
Piper's quick answer is "Yes." So is mine. People are lost without hearing the message of Jesus. The New Testament world is one where explicit faith in Jesus is the way of salvation.

There are caveats, for sure. They need to be made. But what is amazing is the emerging of a whole industry of salvation based on the supposed well-intentioned pagan of Romans 1 who lives up to the light that is within him. My impression in the reading of the Bible that this cannot be a certain path of salvation. In f...more
Jeff Short
Excellent and timely book. Piper deals with the reality of Hell and the necessity of hearing and believing the Gospel in order to be saved. In our fuzzy, increasingly pluralistic society, few have the courage to unequivocally and publicly state that Jesus Christ is the only way to God. Ours is an age of gate-wideners and way-broadeners who want to reduce salvation to moralism and sincerity. If they are successful, then all roads lead to God. Not so according to God's Word. Jesus Christ is the (o...more
Mark A Powell
Is Jesus necessary for salvation, or can people attain heaven through other religions or even merely by God’s general revelation through creation? These are the questions Piper carefully addresses in this short book which, though brief, is powerful in its treatment of these issues—critical points of contention in this postmodern, pluralistic age. Piper is unflinching in his affirmation of the Biblical truth of Jesus—there is no other name by which we may be saved.
Britt
I finished this one in a couple of days. It was either really good, or just realy applicable to my circumstances at the time (or both). I often hear these types of questions being asked (ex. what about the people that live in the jungle who have never heard...will they be saved? What about my grandmother who is Jewish? ) I, of course, never have the right answers, but this book gave me some guidance on my role to those who've never heard.
Brian Eshleman
I probably went through this book too quickly to get its full benefit. Even the level at which I read it showed Piper's reasoning to be sound and biblically based. Everyone needs to hear and be transformed by the Gospel of Jesus Christ in order to be saved. Anything else cannot be defended but by speculation, and such speculation leads to diminished motivation to lead our lives for Christ.
Abhilash Scariya
Excellent book. John Piper builds a case for why one must hear of the work of Jesus Christ in order to be saved; one cannot have the benefits of Jesus' atoning work and be saved without actually hearing of the name of Jesus Christ. He looks at the most common objections and answers them thoroughly. His scholarship and exegesis of Biblical passages is impeccable. I've read this book twice.
Todd Bryant
This is a great treatise on the necessity of the Gospel. The only reason I gave 4 stars is that he makes some strange passing comments about faith in the OT that confused me. He later seemingly clarifies what he meant but it still remains that he could have worded it better.

Overall, a good read.
Christine
Jul 16, 2012 Christine is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second time reading through this book. It's worth going back to over and over again to refresh the urgency of sharing the Gospel. And most of all, like the first time I read it, it urges me to dig into God's Word and bask in the beautiful words and life of Jesus.
Ken Nichols
Read this brief treatise in just a few hours. It is brief, but poignant in what Piper seeks to accomplish. Namely, the exclusivity of Christ for salvation, and the implication for missions.
Read this book, if you believe the Bible, you will be helped.
Brian Phillips
Piper methodically dispels salvation outside Christ. He also provides all the evidence you need that post Christ salvation is in His Name alone. That salvation by revelation through nature is dispelled in the era of Christ.
Jerry
This is the best brief defense of the exclusivity of salvation in Jesus and the existence of eternal hell I am aware of. Piper gets a lot of mileage out of 120 small pages. A handy give away for the Rob Bell crowd.
Allister Kemlo
Excellent a short read packed with sound theology and key non-negotiables for soteriology.
Ashley
Small book but huge concepts! Checked out from library, but need to buy and take notes. Debates the question of if someone does not hear the name of Christ, could they be saved?
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe
  • Abortion: A Rational Look At An Emotional Issue
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • 10 People Every Christian Should Know
  • In My Place Condemned He Stood: Celebrating the Glory of the Atonement
  • True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia
  • Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism
  • Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism
  • Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault
  • The Most Misused Verses in the Bible: Surprising Ways God's Word Is Misunderstood
  • The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • Found: God's Will
  • Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of God
  • Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe...more
More about John Piper...
Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist Don't Waste Your Life The Pleasures of God: Meditations on God's Delight in Being God The Passion of Jesus Christ Let the Nations Be Glad!: The Supremacy of God in Missions

“Once upon a time, there was a safe, private place to take your controversial stand for Jesus. No more. If you are going to stand, you will be shot at—either figuratively or literally.” 5 likes
“If we are cut loose from the anchor of God's Word, we will not be free. We will be slaves of personal passions and popular trends.” 4 likes