Gom on Windy Mountain (Gom, #1)

Gom on Windy Mountain (Gom #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Young Gom Gobblechuck knows he's different from his brothers and sisters, and from all of the folk in the village. He is quick and smart, he looks like his mother rather than his father, and he wears a rune that his mother left him when he disappeared the night Gom was born. And Gom can talk to animals and to the wind. They are his friends, more so than the village childre...more
handbound perfect binding, 188 pages
Published October 25th 1999 by Feral Press, Inc. (first published 1986)

X
It is so nice when you re-read a book that you loved long ago and still find it just as wonderful! I was amazed at how much of the story I had forgotten, so while I did remember how it ended, much of it was as though I were reading it for the first time.
This book is esentially a prequel to the rest of the series. It is not quite as exciting as I remember the others being, but I found it incredibly hard to put down.

This edition is beautiful! It is paperback, but of nice quality with a few ill...more
Sallie Reynolds
Bet you didn't know this is the first in a series of nine books, Legends of Ulm, all available from feralpressinc.com and from Kindle. Enough here to enchant a young reader over many a long cold winter, or reward young pupils with a magical reading hour at day's end. Recently I've read or reread - and loved - them all. This first book is especially fine, as the opening of a world of magic. It will enthrall children growing up a round peg in a square hole, a bird in the land of the earthbound, a...more
Dacia
This series has a very special place in my heart. It was the first series I ever read. There was this crusty librarian at my school in 8th grade, and she as a general rule didn't like kids, but she loved me because I read all the time. I was the only kid in school allowed to check out more than two books at once. I remember she came and got me out of class early on a Friday afternoon to give me all 4 books because they had just come in. I took them home and devoured them in a weekend. God bless...more
Hannah
I didn't find this book till latter, but I read the next three in the series repeated in high school/middle school years. Very pleasant memories and the stories hold up to adult reading fairly well. Though I've never been pleased with Chetwin's choice of breaking spots for those three books as they seem more like one story than three and the transition between novels is awkward for me. This one does a fair job of standing alone. Though, I might be influenced by my memory of the other three books...more
C
A co-worker thought this reminded her a bit of Patricia McKillip, then changed her mind and felt it might be too simple. I think her first instinct was on target, but she was right on both counts: if you take Patricia McKillip and simplified her writing for a younger audience, this would have a familiar flavor to it.

It's a simply told, yet colorful, story. I really enjoyed it and feel bummed this is no longer in print and therefore is not quite so easy to get my hands on.
Stephanie
I grew up reading these books, and have known Gom since his Dell paperback days. Great series. I have reread them all several times, and they keep getting better. I have bought them for my kids, and they love them too. What a nice surprise to find them here. I strongly recommend Gom on Windy Mountain to anyone who likes mystery, suspense, and fantasy all in one.
Jeff
This series was one of my favorite series as a young boy. Gom is a young man who discovers that he is actually a wizard and that his mother was a powerful wizard as well. This book begins Gom's journey as he discovers clues about his absent mother and his inherited destiny. It's a quick read and worth the effort if you can find it.
Katrina Patton
I read these so long ago that I don't remember much about the series or the characters, but I remember it being enchanting. It was one of the few books I read as a kid that still sticks out to me. I know we have copies of the books somewhere, but I'd like to buy them over again so I can re-read them and give a better review.
Samantha
It was a weird read. The basic plot itself was very interesting but after a while it just got kind of uncomfortable. Like that feeling you get when someone's staring at you and you just wish they would blink, it wasn't terrible but I wouldn't recommend it.
Alyssa
This series came to me pretty highly recommended, but turned out to be painfully dull.

If you like your fantasy slow and brown and generally light on surprise and mystery, then I suppose these would be a good way to go.
Ruth
Another one I finally remembered because Mom made me clean out the boxes of stuff I have been keeping at her house and I found my 6th grade reading journal. I have been trying to remember the name of this one for FOREVER!
Samara Gagne
This was one of my first chapter books; I didn't realize it was a series! Holy cow! I'll be picking them up (hopefully) on my Nook ASAP!
Jerry Roys
Another case of a fairly terrible book having nostalgia value I think.
Jared

Loved this when I was 12?
Kathleen
Cassettes.
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Samuel Hinkle
Samuel Hinkle marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Mjdrean
Mjdrean marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Danica Midlil
Danica Midlil marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Andy
Andy added it
Jan 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Now a U.S. citizen, I was born in Nottingham, England. After earning an Honors degree in Philosophy, I taught high school in New Zealand (English & French), founded a modern dance group, and married an English tennis pro.
After a brief stop back in the UK, we moved to the U.S. where I had two daughters and founded another modern dance company. Another stint in N.Z. - another modern dance compa...more
More about Grace Chetwin...
The Riddle and the Rune (Gom, #2) The Crystal Stair (Gom, #3) The Starstone (Gom, #4) The Chimes of Alyafaleyn (new revised and expanded edition.) On All Hallow's Eve