Start by marking “Gom on Windy Mountain (Gom, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gom on Windy Mountain (Gom, #1)

Gom on Windy Mountain (Gom #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Young Gom Gobblechuck knows he's different from his brothers and sisters, and from all of the folk in the village. He is quick and smart, he looks like his mother rather than his father, and he wears a rune that his mother left him when he disappeared the night Gom was born. And Gom can talk to animals and to the wind. They are his friends, more so than the village childre ...more
handbound perfect binding, 188 pages
Published October 25th 1999 by Feral Press, Inc. (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Gom on Windy Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gom on Windy Mountain

X
It is so nice when you re-read a book that you loved long ago and still find it just as wonderful! I was amazed at how much of the story I had forgotten, so while I did remember how it ended, much of it was as though I were reading it for the first time.
This book is esentially a prequel to the rest of the series. It is not quite as exciting as I remember the others being, but I found it incredibly hard to put down.

This edition is beautiful! It is paperback, but of nice quality with a few ill
Sallie Reynolds
Bet you didn't know this is the first in a series of nine books, Legends of Ulm, all available from feralpressinc.com and from Kindle. Enough here to enchant a young reader over many a long cold winter, or reward young pupils with a magical reading hour at day's end. Recently I've read or reread - and loved - them all. This first book is especially fine, as the opening of a world of magic. It will enthrall children growing up a round peg in a square hole, a bird in the land of the earthbound, a ...more
Dacia
This series has a very special place in my heart. It was the first series I ever read. There was this crusty librarian at my school in 8th grade, and she as a general rule didn't like kids, but she loved me because I read all the time. I was the only kid in school allowed to check out more than two books at once. I remember she came and got me out of class early on a Friday afternoon to give me all 4 books because they had just come in. I took them home and devoured them in a weekend. God bless ...more
Hannah
I didn't find this book till latter, but I read the next three in the series repeated in high school/middle school years. Very pleasant memories and the stories hold up to adult reading fairly well. Though I've never been pleased with Chetwin's choice of breaking spots for those three books as they seem more like one story than three and the transition between novels is awkward for me. This one does a fair job of standing alone. Though, I might be influenced by my memory of the other three books ...more
C
A co-worker thought this reminded her a bit of Patricia McKillip, then changed her mind and felt it might be too simple. I think her first instinct was on target, but she was right on both counts: if you take Patricia McKillip and simplified her writing for a younger audience, this would have a familiar flavor to it.

It's a simply told, yet colorful, story. I really enjoyed it and feel bummed this is no longer in print and therefore is not quite so easy to get my hands on.
Stephanie
I grew up reading these books, and have known Gom since his Dell paperback days. Great series. I have reread them all several times, and they keep getting better. I have bought them for my kids, and they love them too. What a nice surprise to find them here. I strongly recommend Gom on Windy Mountain to anyone who likes mystery, suspense, and fantasy all in one.
Jeff
This series was one of my favorite series as a young boy. Gom is a young man who discovers that he is actually a wizard and that his mother was a powerful wizard as well. This book begins Gom's journey as he discovers clues about his absent mother and his inherited destiny. It's a quick read and worth the effort if you can find it.
Katrina Patton
I read these so long ago that I don't remember much about the series or the characters, but I remember it being enchanting. It was one of the few books I read as a kid that still sticks out to me. I know we have copies of the books somewhere, but I'd like to buy them over again so I can re-read them and give a better review.
Samantha
It was a weird read. The basic plot itself was very interesting but after a while it just got kind of uncomfortable. Like that feeling you get when someone's staring at you and you just wish they would blink, it wasn't terrible but I wouldn't recommend it.
Alyssa
This series came to me pretty highly recommended, but turned out to be painfully dull.

If you like your fantasy slow and brown and generally light on surprise and mystery, then I suppose these would be a good way to go.
Ruth
Another one I finally remembered because Mom made me clean out the boxes of stuff I have been keeping at her house and I found my 6th grade reading journal. I have been trying to remember the name of this one for FOREVER!
Samara
This was one of my first chapter books; I didn't realize it was a series! Holy cow! I'll be picking them up (hopefully) on my Nook ASAP!
Jerry Roys
Another case of a fairly terrible book having nostalgia value I think.
Jared

Loved this when I was 12?
Kathleen
Cassettes.
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Kk
Kk marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Majid Mubeen
Majid Mubeen marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Yehudit Klemfner
Yehudit Klemfner marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Hadas Tsury
Hadas Tsury marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
A.
A. added it
Apr 22, 2015
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Susan Jackson
Susan Jackson marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Midnight's Choice (Switchers, #2)
  • Owl in Love
  • The Cloud Chamber
  • Cold Tom
  • A Time for Angels
  • Sir Stalwart (King's Daggers, #1)
  • Send Me Down a Miracle
  • Well Wished
  • Riddle of the Seven Realms (Magics, #3)
  • The Prophecy
  • Dragon Steel
  • Before the Mask (Dragonlance: Villains, #1)
  • Dragon and Herdsman (Dragonback, #4)
  • Jumping the Scratch
  • Witch's Broom
  • The Sin Eater
  • The Train to Estelline
  • The Truth (Lionboy Trilogy, #3)

Gom (9 books)
  • The Riddle and the Rune (Gom, #2)
  • The Crystal Stair (Gom, #3)
  • The Starstone (Gom, #4)
  • Gerrad's Quest (Gom, #5)
  • The Fall of Aelyth-Kintalyn (Gom, #6)
  • The Foundling of Snawbyr Crygg (Gom, #7)
  • Wycan (Gom, #8)
  • The Stargate of Lantyn (Gom, #9)
The Riddle and the Rune (Gom, #2) The Crystal Stair (Gom, #3) The Starstone (Gom, #4) The Chimes of Alyafaleyn (new revised and expanded edition.) On All Hallow's Eve