Start by marking “Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)

Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes #2)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,917 Ratings  ·  232 Reviews
HE HIDES HIS TRUE COLORS . . .

Miss Grace Fairchild is under no illusions about her charms. Painfully plain, she is a soldier's daughter who has spent her life being useful, not learning the treacherous ways of the ton. She may have been caught in a scandal with society's favorite rogue, but how can she marry him when it means losing herself?

WHILE SHE HIDES HER TRUE SELF .
Mass Market Paperback, 433 pages
Published April 1st 2011 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about Never a Gentleman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never a Gentleman

Dinjolina
So the author woke up one morning and realized she missed good old bodice rippers.
Instead of going to the library and satisfying her need with a good oldie she decided to introduce the new generations to old school plots with cheating,spays and a lovable but tough hero that is stuck with a plain Jane.

And oh joy! When she finished, us devoted fans had the charming experience of reading this peace of sh...shoes!

Look, we got a heroine! Ain't she cute? A ditzy heroine. Wait...how is she ditzy if we
Shawna
Apr 17, 2011 Shawna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of angsty historical romance, marriage of convenience theme & rake/plain jane spinster pairings
Shelves: bdsm-kink, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, favorites, historical-romance, made-me-cry, heroine-i-adore, hero-alpha‎, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-cad-rake-rogue‎-scoundrel, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, best-top-favorites, i-read-no-longer-own-sold-swapped, favorite-romance-series, heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap-annoying, hero-i-wanna-smack, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, historical-romance-regency, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, married-couples-married-convenience, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, rt-book-reviews-top-pick, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, cheating-hearts-fidelity-issues, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, heroine-tomboy-lady-in-pants, hh-politician-diplomat, love-triangle-vying-courtships, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, animals-matter, favorite-beautiful-lush-cool-covers, hh-physical-mental-disability-ill, hh-limp-paraplegic-wheelchair, author-eileen-dreyer-drakes-rakes, assassin-hitman, heroine-plain-jane-uglyducklingswan, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-beholder, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, star-crossed-lovers, unrequited-love-crush, 2011-reads, best-fave-reads-of-2011, 5-stars-plus, steam-3-hot, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, fake-faux-betrothal-engagement, hero-brooding, hero-not-enough-groveling, hh-bad-communication-conflict-mgmt, hh-big-constant-misunderstandings, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, best-endings-epilogues, controversial-memorable-event-scene, heroine-commoner-lower-class, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot, heroine-redhead, hh-spy-agent-for-crown-and-country, masquerade-hide-your-face-identity, hero-authentic-uber-rake, hero-military-war-veteran, hero-asshat-award-hall-of-shame, tearjerker-tugs-at-heartstrings, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, hero-pissed-me-off-and-turned-me-on, hr-regency-napoleonic-era-wars, betrayal-is-such-a-bitter-pill, fake-pretend-dating-relationship
5 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

I’ve pondered my thoughts on this for a couple of days because my reactions to it were so strong that I’m still struggling to adequately express my feelings into a review. Not since Charlotte Featherstone’s Addicted and Sinful have I been so emotionally raw while/after reading a historical romance, and this definitely reminded me a little of those, at least in terms of evoking such powerful, conflicting responses.

It’s an unapologetically honest, emotionally de
Catherine
Rachel (BAVR)
Beware of the spoilers below, because I care so little about this story that I won't spend time skirting around the issue.

Dear HR Authors,
If you want to write a long-suffering martyr as your heroine, have at it. Torment that snowflake like you've never tormented before. But for the love of god, at least make the bitch interesting.

Yes, I get it. Grace is ugly. Her hair is colorless yet still vaguely red, she has a horse face, and her husband thinks she's unfortunately plain. On top of all that,
new_user
Apr 11, 2011 new_user rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to new_user by: Catherine
Shelves: historical
Eileen Dreyer is nostalgic for the 80s. Never a Gentleman channels the bodice-ripper romantic interest who heaps endless cruelty on an angelic, long-suffering heroine. Myself, I dislike Man as villain, Woman as martyr. I don't resent men or a man; I'm not an unappreciated wife. So I resent Dreyer's thoroughly Victorian suggestion that women-as-angels will always endure "base," hurtful men.

I disagree on all counts. Marriage isn't "to be borne"; women are not angels -a disservice to women vilifie
Colleen
I went from being so excited that the next book in this series was out (I thoroughly enjoyed Barely a Lady) to being very nervous when I saw so many negative reviews. Plus, I read some of the spoilers (I just can't help myself) and knew about "the scene." I don't typically approve of what happens in "the scene" either, but I have to say I disagree with those negative reviews. I do agree with those that say it was awful; it was and my heart bled/ached for Grace (and I wanted to do some serious bo ...more
Tiffany
Mar 21, 2011 Tiffany rated it did not like it
sraxe
Dec 20, 2015 sraxe marked it as do-not-read
Not only does the H cheat on the h (multiple times), but she also watches him have sex with another woman (the scene is played out for the reader in its entirety). Not only that, but while he's having sex with this other woman, he makes fun of the h's physical disability and has a good laugh with this OW. Later on, when the H confronts the h about having seen him, she asks him to do to her exactly what he did to his mistress (because she was super turned on, of course, instead of being repulsed ...more
Karla
This is the singlemost recent historical romance where I've seen the term "bodice ripper" used to describe it. It's so 80s. It's a reversion to those nasty bodice rippers that - THANK GOD! - are a thing of the past.

Really? I didn't think this was a ripper in any way, shape, or form. Even the tone wasn't ripper-esque. The character types certainly weren't.

Dreyer's book read just like most every other historical romance of recent years: uglified doormat heroine with a bucket of wangsty, masochisti
Angelc
Apr 19, 2011 Angelc rated it it was ok
It really bothers me to give this book such a low rating, but this kind of book isn't my style. I've seen many fantastic reviews of this book, I think it's one of those books that you either absolutely love or hate. Possibly the problem for me was that it was packaged as a mainstream historical romance. When I pick up a book like this, I want to read about two characters who love and respect each other. I also don't want to worry about disturbing bedroom scenes. This book broke both of those rul ...more
Arshia
Mar 17, 2011 Arshia rated it did not like it
*MariaA*
Apr 10, 2014 *MariaA* rated it did not like it
Shelves: cheat-jerks
B-L-O-O-D-Y BLOODY HELL!!!

photo sadd_zps104de3d6.gif

I knew I shouldn't have read it, saw the reviews still I tried to read and now I wanna hit myself on the head again and again :(
I simply cannot bear cheating arrgghhh *pulling my hair out*
The guy is a scumbag, B/F a$$hole *punch him hard*

Why why whyyyy??? Somehow such plots and characters are written with such DEPTH that they leave me traumatized forever! AND why does the cheating part has to be done in such graphic detail and she was watching it ALL!!!
I still cannot
Kim
THIS BOOK PISSED ME OFF! Then it made me smile, then it pissed me off so bad I wanted to rip someones head off, and then I smiled again and then I cried. I had so many different emotions that I gave it 5 stars.

This was my first read of Eileen Dreyer. It want be my last. The heroine was "the bomb".
Fani
I hate that GR doesn't allow for half stars. This is a 4.5 for me, not 4 nor 5 either. Still, the ending was just my cuppa, emotional, angsty, heartwrenching and I liked the heroes, especially the heroine so much I decided to round it to 5 stars.

The hero is part of an English spy group, called Drake's Rakes. After a meeting with an informant and while on his way back to London to report, he's drugged along with the heroine and put in the same bed where they're soon discovered by a dozen ton memb
Tishke
This book doesn't belong in a romance category. I read 56% of the book and I finally had it. To begin with, I felt like I was re-reading The Arranged Marriage by Jo Beverly published in 1991. Both books are absolutely terrible.

(view spoiler)
Booklover
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Good Lord, talk about being torn on a rating! This book was incredible, even with its flaws. This is my first Eileen Dreyer novel, but I have to say that if this is indicative of her writing style, it will not be my last.

Deliciously angsty, mildly kinky, and full of intrigue, this book literally grabbed ahold of me and refused to let go.

This is not a lighthearted “marriage of convenience” story by any stretch of the im
Fatma
Apr 17, 2011 Fatma rated it it was ok
Patti TheLoveJunkee
Apr 14, 2011 Patti TheLoveJunkee rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
Fre06 Begum
Jan 08, 2016 Fre06 Begum rated it did not like it
Shelves: awfyl
One of the worst cheating hero books and a doormat female lead!
Ing
Feb 18, 2012 Ing rated it liked it
Quinn
Aug 29, 2015 Quinn rated it really liked it
There are plenty of readers out there who will probably have an intense dislike for this book. Totally understandable. Lots of readers have particular tropes and elements that are zero tolerance for them. If that's you, then you might want to take a peek at the quick spoiler below to see if you should immediately put a line through this book. If you're like me, and a more of an anything-goes-depending-on-how-well-it's-written kind of reader, then feel free to skip ahead.

(view spoiler)
Mary Gramlich
Mar 31, 2011 Mary Gramlich rated it it was amazing
NEVER a GENTLEMAN written by Eileen Dreyer
Book #2 in the Drake’s Rakes Series
04/11- Grand Central Publishing - Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

What happens when an ugly duckling realizes she was a swan all along?

Diccan Hilliard is a man defending his country and will do everything in his power to work toward protection of the crown, even marry a woman he is not particularly fond of. Grace Fairchild had spent her life living with her father during his military career traveling across the globe sa
Club 526
Oct 19, 2015 Club 526 rated it did not like it
This is the second book I have read by this author, and I am done with her. You can find my review for Barely a Lady here. I liked it marginally more than this one.

Never a Gentleman is marketed as a "romance" novel, but I find nothing romantic, erotic, sexy or titillating about reading a graphic description of a woman's humiliation at being forced to spy on her husband as he thoroughly (and I mean thoroughly) f*cks another woman.

And her reaction was also totally unrealistic. Any self-respecting
Denise
We met Grace and Diccan (Is that a nickname for Richard?) in the first book of this series Barely a Lady She was the washed out, plain Jane spinster with the limp due to a birth defect of her leg. Grace is the daughter of a General and she has followed the beat of the drum at her fathers side.
Diccan is gorgeous, sophisticated, suave.. you would think they had nothing in common, but this book is full of surprises about these two.
There were subject matters in this book that just made me grind
PNR
Jun 30, 2011 PNR rated it did not like it
Hmmmm. I debated the review for this one a bit. I waffled between one star and five. I ended up going with one star since that is more unusual for me when it comes to rating books.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love me an insecure, unattractive, self-deprecating heroine (hence the notion of giving it five stars). The plainer the better (none of this "I wear glasses but am otherwise traditionally attractive" crap). While Grace is an amazing, brilliant, smart, courageous, inspired lady, she took the u
Dangermousie
The writing style is great but the plot silly and the leading couple makes me want to bash my head in to stop the sheer pain of having to read about their idiocy. I finished this book out of sheer 'surely this can't keep going this way and the Goddess of Common Sense will bless one or both of these idiots?' but alas no. About the best I can say about this pairing is that at least by hooking up they won't inflict themselves on normal people.

Heroine redefines doormat. I am surprised the author did
Taryn at My Secret Romance
WARNING: If you DO NOT like cheating heroes then please DO NOT read this book. It is a very good book and you would be giving it a poor rating for that reason, which is unfair.

I, on the other hand, enjoyed it very much and looking forward to the next book.
Deserie williams
Mar 30, 2016 Deserie williams marked it as just-not-for-me-stay-away-hell-no
self note: Cheater H! asshole H! disgusted H! stupid h! see sraxe review if I forget!
Tina
Apr 01, 2011 Tina marked it as avoid
**Little note to self - DON'T BUY THIS BOOK!! ***

Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 01, 2015 07:40AM
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • The Marriage Bed (Guilty, #3)
  • The Runaway Countess (Nottinghamshire, #1)
  • Red Hot Renegade (Bennett #5)
  • One Good Reason (Adamson Brothers, #2)
  • Three Nights of Sin
  • The Disgraced Playboy (Bad Blood, #2)
  • Heating Up The Holidays
  • Claiming the Courtesan
  • Lady Gallant (European Renaissance Duo, #1; Ladies, #1)
  • The Rake's Rainbow
  • Sinful (Addicted #2)
  • Capelli's Captive Virgin
  • Lord of Fire (Knight Miscellany, #2)
  • This Rake of Mine (Bachelor Chronicles, #2)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
  • The Last Rogue (Regency Quartet, #4)
19012
New York Times bestselling, award-winning author Eileen Dreyer, known as Kathleen Korbel to her Silhouette readers, has published 28 romance novels, 8 medico-forensic suspenses, and 7 short stories.

2012 sees Eileen enjoying critical acclaim for her first foray into historical romance, the Drake's Rakes series, which follow the lives of a group of British aristocrats who are willing to sacrifice ev
More about Eileen Dreyer...

Drake's Rakes (5 books)
  • Barely a Lady (Drake's Rakes, #1)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Once a Rake (Drakes Rakes, #4)
  • Twice Tempted (Drake's Rakes, #5)