Start by marking “Sword of Honour (Richard Bolitho, #25)” as Want to Read:
Sword of Honour (Richard Bolitho, #25)

Sword of Honour (Richard Bolitho #25)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  315 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Sir Richard Bolitho returns from a wearing campaign in North American waters to take up a command in Malta. As England's long war with Napoleon reaches its end, will Richard Bolitho's longing for peace—both public and personal—be fulfilled?
Published April 1st 2001 by McBooks Press (first published 1998)

Courage by Robert    CarterMaster and Commander by Patrick O'BrianPost Captain by Patrick O'BrianHornblower and the Hotspur by C.S. ForesterH.M.S. Surprise by Patrick O'Brian
Historical Naval Fiction
118th out of 122 books — 104 voters
Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonTwenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules VerneMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleMaster and Commander by Patrick O'Brian
Maritime Classics
75th out of 97 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Eric
Mar 29, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it
This is book 23 in a series about the fictional character Richard Bolitho in the British navy. This book takes place during the time Napolean was imprisoned on Elba. The main character is not portrayed as perfect, and is not an action hero.

The ending of the book, as is in the author's style sets up the next book. The author first pages in the next book of the series picks up right after the end of the previous book. The story line is progressive building on all the previous books in the series.
Matimate
Dec 15, 2007 Matimate rated it it was ok
Shelves: navalfiction, 2008
I am huge fan of Age of sails book and I consume them with vigour and enthusiasm of starving person who was just released from dungeon. I do not read the Bolitho saga in proper order, I am simply taking the books as I get my grasp on them. The number 23 is Bolitho slaughter...yes the main character is gona die and his life is recapitulated in the manner that you want to strangle the brave sir Richard with your own hands and you practically celebrate his death. Mr Kent has a great talent for desp ...more
Rick Byam
Jun 25, 2016 Rick Byam rated it really liked it
Still takes me to sea and a different time. Good historical journey.
Gerold Whittaker
Mar 03, 2011 Gerold Whittaker rated it liked it
The 23rd book in the Bolitho series. It is 1814 and Admiral Sir Richard Bolitho returns to England after several months on the North American coast only to be dispatched to Malta soon afterwards.

Just when he gets the word to return home however, a strange sail is seen on the horizon...

The ending of the book sets up the start of a fresh series starring Adam Bolitho as he takes up and clips on Sir Richard's sword in place of his own.
Megan Baxter
May 19, 2014 Megan Baxter rated it liked it
I know there are many people who love these books, and others of the genre, dearly. And I mean no offense to them when I say, these are not for me. I don't care enough about life at the sea, and even with the rum and occasional flogging, the books are far too antiseptic to satisfy the historian in me.

Also, military history. I don't really give a rat's ass about military history. Those who do, good on you. But it bores me to death. Give me a rousing social history any time.

Maybe it was the wron
Alex
Apr 05, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it
Not bad but somewhat predictable conclusion to the main series. That said the way the author has somewhat shifted the plot onto Adam does make me want to read the extension series. But maybe I need to get some alternative books in having read about 10 in a row!
Bruce
Oct 01, 2012 Bruce rated it it was amazing
Momentous episode in the series! Wonderfully written historical fiction.
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Carl
Carl rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Guy Coates
Guy Coates rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Francis Smart
Francis Smart rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Neil Davidson
Neil Davidson rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Caroline G. Vaden
Caroline G. Vaden rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Jason Richards
Jason Richards marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Mike A
Mike A rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
John Rhoads
John Rhoads rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
John Brynda
John Brynda rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Leslie Crawley
Leslie Crawley rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Lloyd
Lloyd marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Stephen M. Batson
Stephen M. Batson rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Brian
Brian added it
Apr 30, 2016
Andrew Littlechild
Andrew Littlechild marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
  • Ramage's Trial (The Lord Ramage Novels, #14)
  • A King's Trade (Alan Lewrie, #13)
  • By the Mast Divided (John Pearce, #1)
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)

Richard Bolitho (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Richard Bolitho — Midshipman (Richard Bolitho, #1)
  • Midshipman Bolitho and the Avenger (Richard Bolitho, #2)
  • Band of Brothers (Richard Bolitho, #3)
  • Stand into Danger (Richard Bolitho, #4)
  • In Gallant Company (Richard Bolitho, #5)
  • Sloop of War (Richard Bolitho, #6)
  • To Glory We Steer (Richard Bolitho, #7)
  • Command a King's Ship (Richard Bolitho, #8)
  • Passage to Mutiny (Richard Bolitho, #9)
  • With All Despatch (Richard Bolitho, #10)