Start by marking “Catacombs: A Tale of the Barque Cats” as Want to Read:
Catacombs: A Tale of the Barque Cats

Catacombs: A Tale of the Barque Cats (Tales of the Barque Cats #2)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  823 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
In Catalyst, award-winning authors Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough introduced listeners to the beguiling Barque Cats: spacefaring felines who serve aboard starships as full-fledged members of the crew. Highly evolved, the cats share an almost telepathic bond with their minders, or Cat Persons — until, suddenly, there is no “almost” about it, and a particular B ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published December 7th 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Catacombs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catacombs

William Bentrim
Catacombs: A Tale of the Barque Cats by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Scarborough

This is apparently a story that is part of a larger series. The protagonists are all cats with some sidebar humans. This story returns the Barque Cats to their normal environment.

This book needs more back story. I felt like I had started on page 150 and had no way to get caught up. The story really never caught my interest and I am truly fond of anthropomorphism.

The cats see humans as some what dull servants which a
Brian Schiebout
Catacombs by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough is the second book of the Tales of the Barque Cats series. The book continues on from the first book with the Barque cats having just escaped from the oppressive incompetent government to the planet of Mau which their rescuer the cat Pshaw-Ra assures them will treat them like royalty. However the greeting they receive is less than they expect as can be anticipated in a world of today which is dominated by cats and which has a new leader w ...more
Jenni
Jan 02, 2011 Jenni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know this is not the most intellectual comment, but it's the most honest way of stating how I feel. This book was 'eh' ... normally I am swept away in McCaffrey's books and can't put them down, but this book just never really engaged me.
Lynda Tatad
I am enjoying this new series by Ms McCaffrey and Ms Scarborough!
This is the continuing story of the Barque cats! After having escaped from corrupt human officials, Chester and his boy Jubal have brought as many Barque cats to save from extermination due to a 'supposed' plague from eating shiny beetles that were actually imported by a mysterious cat named Psha-ra. Psha-ra is from the planet Mau, where he has a master plan for the Barque cats and his own race of felines. He loves the 6th toe tha
Carolyn
In the second book of the A Tale of the Barque Cats series, Pshaw- Ra takes Chester, Chester’s Cat- Person Jubal and the rescued cats to his home world of Mau in order to escape their government ordered execution. On Mau, cats are venerated as gods and the sole purpose of the human inhabitants is to serve their cat masters. The newcomers are promised lives of luxury, indulgence and limitless fishy treats. But it is soon evident that Pshaw-Ra’s actions are not acts of benevolence, but a calculate ...more
Lbaker
Although I had read the first book in this series - Catalyst, it took a few chapters to get into this book. I enjoyed the interesting mythlike parts of the story - including mummies, cats, celtic knots, and pyramids.

One criticism I have is that the evil being fought seems to be rather mindless and reminiscent of Pern's thread, now being bugs and worms/snakes.

I'm sure that the always plotting Pshaw-Ra will figure in the next book, but honestly I missed several characters from Catalyst who seeme
An Odd1
*** "Catacombs" under the Egypt-like planet Mau hide mummies and hi-tech left by earliest settlers, and imprison a supernatural giant serpent. A second time, Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarbourough entertain and amuse. The story concentrates on Chester, who grows from rebel kitten to leader dad, and his telepathic linked boy. The enigmatic elegant extremely old vizier teaches the new mixed breed generation how to manipulate spaceship controls and weapons with their inherited Barque dextr ...more
Echo
Jun 20, 2014 Echo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so disappointed, I normally love McCaffrey's books.

Again, the science/mythology behind the cats telepathic abilities and the snake god weren't really there. You'd get snippets, but nothing that made me sit back and go ok, I accept the logic in this reality, continue on.

And Pa-Rashm or whatever his name was was just too unpredictable. I wanted to understand his motives better.
Jayme(the ghost reader)
I liked this book overall. This is the sequel is "Catalyst". It's about cats with special telepathic powers and their breed is called Barque Cats. They are expert hunters and they are bigger than your normal house cat. In this book the story continues, our main cat character Chester, is trapped on a planet called Mau where the cats live and they are taken care of by their human servants. They revere cats. Their cat leader is called Pshaw Ra. He doesn't spend much time there because he is out exp ...more
Nancy
Jun 20, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just had to read this one as it was the sequel to Catalyst. It's quite uneven going from desperate situation to a cat's nonchalance, but I guess that's the point. Chester and his human Jabal return to his parents and ships. But the evil Apep or snake follows them out and the kittens that they have brought with them have to save the day when the snake (or millions of mini snakes that the big snake has transformed into) surrounds a sun causing all kinds of havoc for the solar system (not ours). ...more
Amanda
Aug 24, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfectly adorable!

This is a fast paced, action packed, cat filled story every cat lover will enjoy. If you own a cat, curl up with your kitty for a good read. Don't forget to read the first book in the set though....it will put everything in purrspective
Carolyn
Like the first book, this is the continuing adventures of Chester and his human Jubal. Still cute, but has fallen a bit flat in the execution of the idea. A bit too neatly wrapped up for my tastes, especially with the extreme danger she put them in in the latter half of the book. (view spoiler) I'm sure there will be more books about the pair, the last sentence of the bo ...more
Carol Brandon
Apr 20, 2015 Carol Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great follow-up from Catalyst. It could stand alone, as they explain the back story in the novel. Again, more for teens than adults. I enjoyed it but it wasn't gripping.
Jaishree
May 31, 2016 Jaishree rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a total let down.
The story meandered, looped around, lost it's way and seemed never ending. Certainly not one of her better efforts.
Brook
This one just moved way too slow for me and was boring. It kept repeating the same things over and over. I kept thinking uh Hello we got it by now. I ended up skip reading so I could get to a book more my style.
penny shima glanz
Yes, I am giving a McCaffrey/Scarborough book a two (and a half) star review. Something changed in the telling of the story for this book, many aspects, such as point of view from the cats, are awesome in theory, but fall flat in execution, something other reviewers have noted.

That acknowledged, it is a cute and fast read. I found it enjoyable as my Shadow has taken a renewed interest in both my keyboard and what's on the monitor. It's fun to pretend that perhaps he's paying attention and will s
Marie
Dec 29, 2014 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A worthy sequel with some frivolous but enjoyable fun - especially if you are a cat lover! I found this sequel a bit more disjointed than its predecessor as the plot has several rises and falls as though it is several short stories in one.
Dannie Lane
Feb 12, 2014 Dannie Lane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
So far so good, looks like I have one more group of books to start reading!
Deborah Darsie
Apr 20, 2016 Deborah Darsie rated it really liked it
The reader on this audio version was quite an addition to the story. Her vocalizations for the cats gave them some excellent purrsonality throughout.

I need to find the first book in this series to fill in the back story.

A lot of fun elements in the feline cultures we 'meet' via the Barque cats and the Mau refugees. Crazy unfounded rumors of cats (and other animals) carrying disease and the perils of wholesale massacre (just an indirect reference in this volume....) and mixing in space travel, co
Kris
Dec 24, 2015 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good sequel to Catalyst, although I would recommend reading Catalyst first. I think it would be hard to get into the story without the backstory.
Dhaverma
May 06, 2015 Dhaverma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
I don't normally not finish a book, however I just couldn't get into this one.
Devi
Dec 04, 2015 Devi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read. Resolves the major issues left from the first volume with a happy ending. Left room for more.
Em Horning
Nov 27, 2015 Em Horning rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not my type of book
Melissa
Sep 11, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Like the first book, this one seemed to be written for a young adult audience. I really liked the concept (of course, I'm a cat lover!), but the execution felt a little off. I felt as if the last part of the book was kind of tacked on at the end because it needed to be a certain length. Or maybe it just read more like a few short stories with the same characters. I still think it's a shame that they couldn't tie these barque cats together with the ones from the Talents series.
Jun 19, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I think there's a book that comes before this one. I don't know right now; I just picked it off the shelf at the library. The book may have made a bit more sense if I'd read the series in the right order.

I was confused by the different points of view for the first third of the book. Once I got it all straightened out, I found the cat adventures enthralling. I really enjoyed the idea of cat spaceships. The book definitely lives up to the proverb, "dogs have people; cats have staff."
Rachel
Apr 29, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
A nice quick read, very engaging. Scarborough's touch (I think) makes this book funny--sometimes hilarious. The cats are as smart and as individual as humans, but they can easily be distracted by treats, or the need for a nap--or mating. Hmm, I guess all that is true for humans too. The way each cat finds her or his special person is reminiscent of the Pern dragons, but that's not a problem. And everything ties together with ancient Egypt and its mythology. Well done!
Theresa
Jan 24, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catacombs: A Tale of the Barque Cats
by Anne Mccaffrey and Elizabeth ann Scarburough

had to wait for this one an exciting story about the adventures and miss adventures of the great mankoon cats in space and how they find a similar raise of cats and interbreed for the austintatious advantages of both breeds, and the violent and mysterious attack of a new speices in space cause because of the cats distruction of an ancient fow.
Sarah Wynde
Feb 03, 2016 Sarah Wynde rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Via Overdrive
Pam
Jul 06, 2011 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book better than the first one. It's always very interesting to read a book that's from the cat's perspective. I was glad I got both Catalyst and Catacombs at the same time. By the time I finished Catalyst, I wanted to know what was going to happen next and started right into Catacombs. It's a pretty easy science fiction read and good story line - didn't want to put Catacombs down.
Cathi95
Jun 05, 2012 Cathi95 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
(Science fiction 2010) Sequel to Catalyst, Book 1 of the Barque Cats. After the barque cats are rescued from a plague that threatens to kill them, they end up on a planet where cats are supreme but not particularly socially evolved. The Barque Cats must figure out how to get themselves out of the situation... Good fun. written with typical Ann McCaffrey aplomb. I am really missing her already!
Madison Mega-Mara...: Catacombs: A Tale of The Barque Cats 1 3 Jun 30, 2012 01:19PM
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The People of Pern
  • Homecoming: Earth (Omnibus) (Homecoming Saga, #4-5)
  • At Sword's Point (Knights of the Blood, #2)
  • Emerald Fire (Persis Chronicles, #1)
  • Cat Striking Back (Joe Grey, #15)
  • Quinn's Gambit (AURA, #1)
  • The Fall of Neskaya (Darkover, #3; Clingfire, #1)
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • Odd Man In
  • Chain of Bargains (Delver Magic, #5)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • Stand: A Call for the Endurance of the Saints
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Teasing Jonathan (Mercenary Love #3)
  • Dagger Magic (Adept #4)
  • Legend (Far From Home, #1)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Tales of the Barque Cats (2 books)
  • Catalyst (Tales of the Barque Cats #1)