Start by marking “Ellen and Edith: Woodrow Wilson's First Ladies” as Want to Read:
Ellen and Edith: Woodrow Wilson's First Ladies

Ellen and Edith: Woodrow Wilson's First Ladies (Modern First Ladies)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  34 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The wives of Woodrow Wilson were strikingly different from each other. Ellen Axson Wilson, quiet and intellectual, died after just a year and a half in the White House and is thought to have had little impact on history. Edith Bolling Wilson was flamboyant and confident but left a legacy of controversy. Yet, as Kristie Miller shows, each played a significant role in the Wh ...more
Published October 15th 2010 by University Press of Kansas

To ask other readers questions about Ellen and Edith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ellen and Edith

Brisbride13
Jul 20, 2012 Brisbride13 rated it really liked it
Overall I enjoyed this book quite a bit. The first part which covered the meeting, courting and married life of Ellen and Woodrow was hard for me to put down. Once Ellen dies and part 2 begins the book starts to slow down and my interest waned and to be honest, after Woodrow's marriage to his second wife Edith, I had to force myself to finish. From chapt 4 to chapt 7 could have been a biography about the president and that is not what ^ wanted to read about. However I have to be fair to the auth ...more
Kelly
Dec 03, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
***I loved this book***
Ellens father was a Reverend who dealt with depression all his life, rumor has it he may have ended his life, almost causing Ellen to end her engagement with Woodrow. Ellen thought of herself as the "woman who would never love" and was also rumored to be known as "Ellen the man hater." Ellen was a very independent woman on her own right. She attend art school and volunteered at an African American school to teach children how to read and write.
Ellen was a practical, modes
Dorothy Hall
Feb 07, 2016 Dorothy Hall rated it really liked it
What an illuminating and interesting book! Women's lives have always been complicated but these two women are remarkable in completely opposite ways. Woodrow Wilson was deeply loved but I'm not sure he deserved it. His two wives were polar opposite's and the contrast is intriguing.

History books focus on President Wilson and his actions. What is truly fascinating are the wives and lover who sustained the man who claimed he could not be president without them. What is a applauded in one era is oft
Lisa of Hopewell
Well, that's THAT questioned answered! The first Mrs. Wilson and Woodrow availed themselves of condoms! Never did I think I'd read THAT in a footnote!

I think it is a shame that Woodrow was so duplicitous and disloyal and unfaithful when it was clear that he truly loved Ellen and their girls. We are all flawed, but his sweet love was so tarnished by his foolishness. I also agree with other reviewers that the first wife's part of this book was more about Woodrow and Mary than about Ellen.

On to Ed
Catherine
Mar 03, 2011 Catherine rated it really liked it
After visiting the Woodrow Wilson home in DC a couple of years ago, I became interested in learning more about not only Woodrow Wilson, but his wives, first Ellen and then after Ellen’s passing, Edith.

The book is a bit academic in tone but provides an in-depth look into Wilson’s relationships with these two very influential, interesting, and different women.
Rebecca
Apr 18, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
Sadly this is still mostly about President Wilson than it is about his two wives, its as if the author keeps forgetting that she's supposed to be writing about them. Still, it is well written and some good information is given about their lives.
Kevin Kosar
May 24, 2011 Kevin Kosar rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book---who knew Woodrow Wilson was such a passionate fellow.

I reviewed it in the Weekly Standard magazine in May 2011: http://www.weeklystandard.com/article...
PWRL
Apr 15, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
O
Katelyn Martin
Katelyn Martin is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
MrB
MrB marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Juan Maldonado
Juan Maldonado marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Suzanne Auckerman
Suzanne Auckerman marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Maureen O'Donnell
Maureen O'Donnell rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Rachel Davidson Schmoyer
Rachel Davidson Schmoyer marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Xue Franco
Xue Franco marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Kathy Wojo
Kathy Wojo marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Alyssa True
Alyssa True marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Nel
Nel marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Susan Arnott
Susan Arnott rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Jude Sargenti
Jude Sargenti marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Chris Carson
Chris Carson rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Modern First Ladies (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Edith Kermit Roosevelt: Creating the Modern First Lady
  • Helen Taft: Our Musical First Lady
  • First Lady Florence Harding: Behind the Tragedy and Controversy
  • Grace Coolidge: The People's Lady in Silent Cal's White House
  • Lou Henry Hoover: Activist First Lady
  • Eleanor Roosevelt: Transformative First Lady
  • Bess Wallace Truman: Harry's White House "Boss"
  • Mamie Doud Eisenhower: The General's First Lady