Ellen and Edith: Woodrow Wilson's First Ladies

Ellen and Edith: Woodrow Wilson's First Ladies (Modern First Ladies)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The wives of Woodrow Wilson were strikingly different from each other. Ellen Axson Wilson, quiet and intellectual, died after just a year and a half in the White House and is thought to have had little impact on history. Edith Bolling Wilson was flamboyant and confident but left a legacy of controversy. Yet, as Kristie Miller shows, each played a significant role in the Wh...more
Published October 15th 2010 by University Press of Kansas

Brisbride13
Overall I enjoyed this book quite a bit. The first part which covered the meeting, courting and married life of Ellen and Woodrow was hard for me to put down. Once Ellen dies and part 2 begins the book starts to slow down and my interest waned and to be honest, after Woodrow's marriage to his second wife Edith, I had to force myself to finish. From chapt 4 to chapt 7 could have been a biography about the president and that is not what ^ wanted to read about. However I have to be fair to the auth...more
Catherine
After visiting the Woodrow Wilson home in DC a couple of years ago, I became interested in learning more about not only Woodrow Wilson, but his wives, first Ellen and then after Ellen’s passing, Edith.

The book is a bit academic in tone but provides an in-depth look into Wilson’s relationships with these two very influential, interesting, and different women.
Rebecca Coday
Sadly this is still mostly about President Wilson than it is about his two wives, its as if the author keeps forgetting that she's supposed to be writing about them. Still, it is well written and some good information is given about their lives.
Kevin Kosar
I enjoyed this book---who knew Woodrow Wilson was such a passionate fellow.

I reviewed it in the Weekly Standard magazine in May 2011: http://www.weeklystandard.com/article...
PWRL
Apr 15, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
O
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Anne
Anne added it
Jul 05, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2014
Lianne Burwell
Lianne Burwell marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Starling
Starling marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Katharina
Katharina marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Cathi
Cathi marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
Dmm
Dmm marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
Anna Aquino
Anna Aquino marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Noelle (Pandora) Kukenas
Noelle (Pandora) Kukenas marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
BranDee
BranDee marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2013
Isabella Greenway: An Enterprising Woman Dating - Philosophy for Everyone: Flirting with Big Ideas A Volume of Friendship: The Letters of Eleanor Roosevelt and Isabella Greenway, 1904-1953 Ruth Hanna McCormick: A Life in Politics, 1880-1944 We Have Come to Stay: American Women and Political Parties, 1880-1960