Start by marking “Small Miracles” as Want to Read:
Small Miracles

Small Miracles

3.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Mroczna wizja przyszłości, w której nanotechnologia stworzona by pomagać ludzkości, obraca się przeciwko niej.
W drugiej dekadzie XXI wieku powstają wyposażone w nanity pierwszej pomocy kombinezony, które leczą rany i zatrzymują pociski. Wojsko i policja są zachwycone. Jednak nowa technologia niepostrzeżenie przeobraża funkcjonariuszy w zupełnie nowe, obce ludziom istoty!
Na
Published (first published August 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Small Miracles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Miracles

Magdelanye
It's a small miracle I managed to finish this rather clumsy take on the modern nightmare, the invasion of the mind. Larry Niven claimed, on the front jacket to be royally entertained,and Robert Sawyer (on the back cover) found it fascinating and compelling, but I found it a true grind.
The pedestrian writing irritated me and it was especially annoying to have to wade through pages of overly technical details only to come up against a glaring inconsistancy. I did not find the pace or the events cr
Stefan
Sep 03, 2012 Stefan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Edward Lerner's 'Small Miracles' was a fast-paced techno-thriller about nano bots that go rogue. Lerner shaped the silly-sounding premise into a tense and intelligent race against time. Furthermore, this novel had some of the creepiest scenes I've ever read & an great ambiguous and thought-provoking ending.
Matt
Jan 19, 2010 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reads a bit like Robin Cook or Crichton, but with a nod toward more geeked-out sf styling. The pacing is decent until the end, which comes way too soon and without nearly enough punch. Lerner does great dialogue and characterization, and makes nanotechnology seem both cool and dangerous.
Eero
Oct 17, 2015 Eero rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was originally published in 2009 and set in the near future - so near that its beginning date has now passed. Already the world it describes has diverged from reality enough to strain today's reader's willing suspension of disbelief. The plot involves runaway nanotech, but in a more limited and thus more "realistic" way than in "Blood Music" and such (essentially, the medical nanites in this book are not self-replicating, but they can stimulate changes in the central nervous system and ...more
Marc
Jan 16, 2010 Marc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this science fiction technothriller set in the years 2015-2017. What keeps the reader’s attention is a race between the good guys and bad guys with each side learning information about the other side that may close out the race in their favor while also not knowing how far ahead the other side really is in critical areas. The bad guys are super-intelligent nano-robots. They are body snatchers that re-wire the host human’s brain.

A second thread involves corporate intrigue within
Sean Randall
Oct 11, 2015 Sean Randall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a hugely thoughtful take on the nanotech event horizon. Lerner writes with scientific acumen, technical aptitude and personable characters. It's a pretty scary look into a future; and the prologue and epilogue both hooked me and made me want more. If you're a hard sci-fi fan, this is one not to miss.
Claire
Mar 18, 2015 Claire rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fairly rambling and slow with a lot of repition. Also, I found I couldn't connect with any of the characters enough to care about them or their cause.
Chip
Jan 18, 2013 Chip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit disappointed with this book. I was thinking since Lerner has collaborated with Niven on three prequel books in the Ringworld series that he must have some pretty good talent. The pace and the characters of this book are forced and confusing. I felt the computer science portions were not realistic at all. And the ending is not satisfying. Read "Blood Music" if you want a much better book with similar themes.
Selina
Aug 04, 2015 Selina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read, interesting near future tale that addresses the nature of humanity, consciousness, life, and morality. Good sci-fi, and the author really did his research! Other than a couple tiny potential flaws, his explanations seem sound and well thought out.
Donald
Jan 08, 2011 Donald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting sci-fi story about what makes us human, a basic thing in sci-fi. The author got across the highly-technical stuff without making it boring, which is always a good thing for a sci-fi book to do.
Carolyn
May 26, 2011 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, twisty story - sort of like Star Trek meets Invasion of the Body Snatchers. First book in a while that was actually hard to put down. Definitely recommend it for the sci-fi geeks out there.
Karen
Dec 02, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A chilling take on nanotech. Good reading in spite of the one-loose-thread ending leaving an opening for a sequel.
Chris Jackson
Aug 24, 2010 Chris Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Met the brilliant Edward Lerner at a convention, and let me tell you, the guy can write...
David
Aug 28, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific near future thriller. Impossible to put down.
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Sara
Sara is currently reading it
May 27, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Chantel Cornell
Chantel Cornell marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
A~
A~ rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Fernando
Fernando rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Davidk
Davidk added it
Mar 01, 2016
Tomas
Tomas added it
Feb 23, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Düsendübel
Düsendübel marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Todd Stanley
Todd Stanley rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2016
Soter Steen
Soter Steen marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Paulina
Paulina rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Back to the Moon
  • Contacting Aliens: An Illustrated Guide to David Brin's Uplift Universe (The Uplift Saga)
  • Translight! (Galactic Alliance, #1)
  • Kidnapped
  • House of Steel: The Honorverse Companion
  • To Be a Woman (The Metal Maiden Series, #1)
  • A Separate War and Other Stories
  • On the Other Side (Tales of Valdemar)
  • 2184
  • The Mystic Saga Omnibus (Books 1 - 5)
  • Maya
  • Starquake
  • Seven Point Eight: The First Chronicle
  • Python Algorithms: Mastering Basic Algorithms in the Python Language
  • Taming Text
  • Spin Control
  • Cadets
  • Stars & Empire 2: 10 More Galactic Tales (Stars & Empire Box Set Collection)
I'm a physicist and computer scientist (among other things). After thirty years in industry, working at every level from individual technical contributor to senior vice president, I now write full-time. Mostly I write science fiction and techno-thrillers, now and again throwing in a straight science or technology article.
More about Edward M. Lerner...