Start by marking “Small Miracles” as Want to Read:
Small Miracles

Small Miracles

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Mroczna wizja przyszłości, w której nanotechnologia stworzona by pomagać ludzkości, obraca się przeciwko niej.
W drugiej dekadzie XXI wieku powstają wyposażone w nanity pierwszej pomocy kombinezony, które leczą rany i zatrzymują pociski. Wojsko i policja są zachwycone. Jednak nowa technologia niepostrzeżenie przeobraża funkcjonariuszy w zupełnie nowe, obce ludziom istoty!
Published (first published August 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Small Miracles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Miracles

It's a small miracle I managed to finish this rather clumsy take on the modern nightmare, the invasion of the mind. Larry Niven claimed, on the front jacket to be royally entertained,and Robert Sawyer (on the back cover) found it fascinating and compelling, but I found it a true grind.
The pedestrian writing irritated me and it was especially annoying to have to wade through pages of overly technical details only to come up against a glaring inconsistancy. I did not find the pace or the events cr
Edward Lerner's 'Small Miracles' was a fast-paced techno-thriller about nano bots that go rogue. Lerner shaped the silly-sounding premise into a tense and intelligent race against time. Furthermore, this novel had some of the creepiest scenes I've ever read & an great ambiguous and thought-provoking ending.
Reads a bit like Robin Cook or Crichton, but with a nod toward more geeked-out sf styling. The pacing is decent until the end, which comes way too soon and without nearly enough punch. Lerner does great dialogue and characterization, and makes nanotechnology seem both cool and dangerous.
This book was originally published in 2009 and set in the near future - so near that its beginning date has now passed. Already the world it describes has diverged from reality enough to strain today's reader's willing suspension of disbelief. The plot involves runaway nanotech, but in a more limited and thus more "realistic" way than in "Blood Music" and such (essentially, the medical nanites in this book are not self-replicating, but they can stimulate changes in the central nervous system and ...more
I really enjoyed this science fiction technothriller set in the years 2015-2017. What keeps the reader’s attention is a race between the good guys and bad guys with each side learning information about the other side that may close out the race in their favor while also not knowing how far ahead the other side really is in critical areas. The bad guys are super-intelligent nano-robots. They are body snatchers that re-wire the host human’s brain.

A second thread involves corporate intrigue within
Sean Randall
This is a hugely thoughtful take on the nanotech event horizon. Lerner writes with scientific acumen, technical aptitude and personable characters. It's a pretty scary look into a future; and the prologue and epilogue both hooked me and made me want more. If you're a hard sci-fi fan, this is one not to miss.
Fairly rambling and slow with a lot of repition. Also, I found I couldn't connect with any of the characters enough to care about them or their cause.
I was a bit disappointed with this book. I was thinking since Lerner has collaborated with Niven on three prequel books in the Ringworld series that he must have some pretty good talent. The pace and the characters of this book are forced and confusing. I felt the computer science portions were not realistic at all. And the ending is not satisfying. Read "Blood Music" if you want a much better book with similar themes.
Good read, interesting near future tale that addresses the nature of humanity, consciousness, life, and morality. Good sci-fi, and the author really did his research! Other than a couple tiny potential flaws, his explanations seem sound and well thought out.
An interesting sci-fi story about what makes us human, a basic thing in sci-fi. The author got across the highly-technical stuff without making it boring, which is always a good thing for a sci-fi book to do.
A fun, twisty story - sort of like Star Trek meets Invasion of the Body Snatchers. First book in a while that was actually hard to put down. Definitely recommend it for the sci-fi geeks out there.
A chilling take on nanotech. Good reading in spite of the one-loose-thread ending leaving an opening for a sequel.
Chris Jackson
Met the brilliant Edward Lerner at a convention, and let me tell you, the guy can write...
Terrific near future thriller. Impossible to put down.
Samantha is currently reading it
Nov 24, 2015
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Merr49 marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Fernando marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Res is currently reading it
Nov 08, 2015
Gareth is currently reading it
Oct 27, 2015
Crich70 is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2015
Jeffry marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Rich Henderson
Rich Henderson marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Danny added it
Sep 04, 2015
Jim29073gmail.Com marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Gary Berg
Gary Berg is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Back to the Moon
  • Contacting Aliens: An Illustrated Guide to David Brin's Uplift Universe (The Uplift Saga)
  • House of Steel: The Honorverse Companion
  • Translight! (Galactic Alliance, #1)
  • A Separate War and Other Stories
  • 2184
  • The Mystic Saga Omnibus (Books 1 - 5)
  • Kidnapped
  • On the Other Side (Tales of Valdemar)
  • Seven Point Eight: The First Chronicle
  • The Patron Saint of Plagues
  • Maya
  • Restoration: Immortality Begins
  • Sufficiently Advanced Technology (Inverse Shadows, #1)
  • Python Algorithms: Mastering Basic Algorithms in the Python Language
  • Starquake
  • Trigger & Friends
  • Spin Control
I'm a physicist and computer scientist (among other things). After thirty years in industry, working at every level from individual technical contributor to senior vice president, I now write full-time. Mostly I write science fiction and techno-thrillers, now and again throwing in a straight science or technology article.
More about Edward M. Lerner...