Start by marking “Small Miracles” as Want to Read:
Small Miracles

Small Miracles

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Mroczna wizja przyszłości, w której nanotechnologia stworzona by pomagać ludzkości, obraca się przeciwko niej.
W drugiej dekadzie XXI wieku powstają wyposażone w nanity pierwszej pomocy kombinezony, które leczą rany i zatrzymują pociski. Wojsko i policja są zachwycone. Jednak nowa technologia niepostrzeżenie przeobraża funkcjonariuszy w zupełnie nowe, obce ludziom istoty!
Na
Published (first published August 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Small Miracles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Miracles

Magdelanye
It's a small miracle I managed to finish this rather clumsy take on the modern nightmare, the invasion of the mind. Larry Niven claimed, on the front jacket to be royally entertained,and Robert Sawyer (on the back cover) found it fascinating and compelling, but I found it a true grind.
The pedestrian writing irritated me and it was especially annoying to have to wade through pages of overly technical details only to come up against a glaring inconsistancy. I did not find the pace or the events cr
Stefan
Edward Lerner's 'Small Miracles' was a fast-paced techno-thriller about nano bots that go rogue. Lerner shaped the silly-sounding premise into a tense and intelligent race against time. Furthermore, this novel had some of the creepiest scenes I've ever read & an great ambiguous and thought-provoking ending.
Matt
Reads a bit like Robin Cook or Crichton, but with a nod toward more geeked-out sf styling. The pacing is decent until the end, which comes way too soon and without nearly enough punch. Lerner does great dialogue and characterization, and makes nanotechnology seem both cool and dangerous.
Marc
I really enjoyed this science fiction technothriller set in the years 2015-2017. What keeps the reader’s attention is a race between the good guys and bad guys with each side learning information about the other side that may close out the race in their favor while also not knowing how far ahead the other side really is in critical areas. The bad guys are super-intelligent nano-robots. They are body snatchers that re-wire the host human’s brain.

A second thread involves corporate intrigue within
Claire
Fairly rambling and slow with a lot of repition. Also, I found I couldn't connect with any of the characters enough to care about them or their cause.
Chip
I was a bit disappointed with this book. I was thinking since Lerner has collaborated with Niven on three prequel books in the Ringworld series that he must have some pretty good talent. The pace and the characters of this book are forced and confusing. I felt the computer science portions were not realistic at all. And the ending is not satisfying. Read "Blood Music" if you want a much better book with similar themes.
Selina
Good read, interesting near future tale that addresses the nature of humanity, consciousness, life, and morality. Good sci-fi, and the author really did his research! Other than a couple tiny potential flaws, his explanations seem sound and well thought out.
Donald
An interesting sci-fi story about what makes us human, a basic thing in sci-fi. The author got across the highly-technical stuff without making it boring, which is always a good thing for a sci-fi book to do.
Carolyn
A fun, twisty story - sort of like Star Trek meets Invasion of the Body Snatchers. First book in a while that was actually hard to put down. Definitely recommend it for the sci-fi geeks out there.
Karen
A chilling take on nanotech. Good reading in spite of the one-loose-thread ending leaving an opening for a sequel.
Chris Jackson
Met the brilliant Edward Lerner at a convention, and let me tell you, the guy can write...
David
Terrific near future thriller. Impossible to put down.
V
V marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Psysiu
Psysiu marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Paps
Paps marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Peter Coffey
Peter Coffey marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Cyborgs_are_cool
Cyborgs_are_cool is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I'm a physicist and computer scientist (among other things). After thirty years in industry, working at every level from individual technical contributor to senior vice president, I now write full-time. Mostly I write science fiction and techno-thrillers, now and again throwing in a straight science or technology article.
More about Edward M. Lerner...
The Time Travel Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Stories Energized Fools' Experiments Championship B'tok (InterstellarNet, standalone) Probe