Start by marking “Aircraft of World War I: 1914-1918” as Want to Read:
Aircraft of World War I: 1914-1918

Aircraft of World War I: 1914-1918

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Illustrated with detailed artworks of combat aircraft and their markings, 'The Essential Aircraft Identification Guide: Aircraft of WWI' is a comprehensive study of the aircraft that fought in the Great War of 1914-18. Arranged chronologically by theater of war and campaign, this book offers a complete organizational breakdown of the units on all the fronts, including the...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Amber Books

To ask other readers questions about Aircraft of World War I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aircraft of World War I

Michael
Pretty good for an overview. I don't have any way of checking the accuracy of the information, but I suspect some of the performance numbers may be incorrect. (For example, of the Handley-Page O/400 is an improved version of the O/100, why are the specifications virtually identical?)

My only real complaint is that all of the illustrations are profile only, with no top or bottom views. Bob Pearson is co-author.
Brian  Halgas
Good book for quick Summer read. As a great War "buff" I appreciate the concise construction of this book. What is really a treat is the illustrations of actual aircraft flown by individual pilots. The markings painted on the planes makes me wonder???? The liberal use of occult/kabbalaistic/magick sigils and swastikas of many flavors painted on the planes must point to some deep mystery.
Jeff
For a book whose major appeal is pretty pictures, this is a remarkably good book. It gives a very good, very concise description of the "big picture" of WW1 air combat. It has chapters covering the all the major fronts, plus minor ones like the Middle East. Highly recommended.

Gianfranco
Gianfranco marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Ty Streeter
Ty Streeter is currently reading it
May 15, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Omar Samaan
Omar Samaan marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Barry Harmon
Barry Harmon marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Mauro Lambertini
Mauro Lambertini marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Alex
Alex added it
Jul 20, 2012
Mark Sterry
Mark Sterry marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2012
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2011
Jack Herris has a long history with aviation. His parents started dating while car-pooling together to North American Aviation during WW2. Jack’s father built P-51s, including parts for the first P-51 Mustang ever built, and his mother built B-25s.

In 1971, Jack graduated Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa from the University of Washington with a Bachelor of Science in Aeronautics and Astronautics...more
More about Jack Herris...
Rumpler Aircraft of WWI Germany's Fighter Competitions of 1918 Aircraft Of World War I 1914 1918 (Essential Aircraft Identification Guide) Pfalz Aircraft of WWI: A Centennial Perspective on Great War Airplanes: 5 Nachtflugzeug! German N-Types of WWI: A Centennial Perspective on Great War Airplanes: 3