Start by marking “Topgrading ” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  269 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Great companies don’t just depend on strategies—they depend on people. The more great people on your team, the more successful your organization will be. But that’s easier said than done. Statistically, half of all employment decisions result in a mishire: The wrong person winds up in the wrong job. But companies that have followed Bradford Smart’s advice in Topgrading hav ...more
Published April 7th 2005 by Penguin Group (USA)

Didn't find this book as ground-breaking as other readers. Yes, the main concept was interesting, but it seemed like a one long promo for his childrens' consulting busineses.
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro El valor del capital humano, de Bradford Smart.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: recursos humanos, atraer, motivar y retener a los empleados.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro El valor del capital humano, Cómo identificar a los empleados excelentes: El valor del capital humano
John Boettcher
This book was good, as was the concept behind it, and the data that supports it. However, I think that the book was a bit long for what it was trying to prove, and they should have perhaps just stuck with teaching businesses how to conduct meaningful interviews and how to identify good employees and separating them from the bad.

Besides the length and a little bit of fluff in the book, I gave it 5 stars because anyone that has ever given an interview, or anyone who has ever had to write question
May have had some good points... I don't know, because I didn't make it past the 2nd cd. It seemed like a giant advertisement for his company.
This book was on the shelf in my old boss's office, so I borrowed it just to see what she was reading. Thirteen years later the lessons in the the book have stuck with me.

Most of the book is about why the hiring decision is so important, and why it's important to retain top talent. The reason I still have it on my shelf though, is the great section on how to properly conduct an interview. See p. 226 "A short version of the CIDS interview."

I highly recommend it for anyone making a hiring decisi
Great system and content, yet the way it's written and structured can be very disorienting
Charlane Brady
A must read for anyone hiring anyone. It is hard to think of an organization in any field that cannot benefit from this book. After working in the hi-tech start-up industry for 10+ years (Silicon Valley + International) I agree with about 99% of this book.

Many just cannot get the people thing right.
Anthony Auston
In a nutshell, the author claims that there's little room for emotional intelligence in a high-performing organization while in the same breath saying that people are what make organizations successful. You can't have one without the other, "Smart."
Read this for work - very interesting concept for "upping" the talent at an organization. Principles can be applied, but really needs to come from the leadership down in order to be effective.
Thorough if perhaps overly long. Its prescription for extended interviews helped us steer clear of some potential hires. Would that I had read it sooner!
Colin Keeley
The book has great ideas but 90% of the pages are wasted trying to convince the reader to follow the program. Should be ~100 pages.
Cris V.
This was a great book, top notch for people who want to lead HR in a different way. Highly recommended.
The importance of 'A' level employees and why the 90/10 rules is always true
Kyle Elworthy
Great concepts for business, moving up or out
Lara marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Harsh Sengal
Harsh Sengal marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
B R is currently reading it
Oct 03, 2015
Terry Roberts
Terry Roberts marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Paul L
Paul L marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Satish Raj
Satish Raj marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Recone marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
CobiPobi marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Brad Johnston
Brad Johnston marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Rajshree marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
  • SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
  • The Human Side of Enterprise
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • Teamwork 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • The Future of Management
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • The Leadership Engine: How Winning Companies Build Leaders at Every Level
  • Confronting Reality: Doing What Matters to Get Things Right
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Profitable Growth Is Everyone's Business: 10 Tools You Can Use Monday Morning
  • Executive Toughness: The Mental-Training Program to Increase Your Leadership Performance
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
  • Collaborate or Perish!: Reaching Across Boundaries in a Networked World
Topgrading for Sales Topgrading: The Proven Hiring and Promoting Method That Turbocharges Company Performances (Your Coach in a Box) The Smart Interviewer Selection Interviewing: A Management Psychologist's Recommended Approach Resourcefulness Parenting: How To Raise Happy, Successful Kids

“Shouldn’t we be as rigorous in hiring as we are in capital spending?” 0 likes