Start by marking “Living as a River: Finding Fearlessness in the Face of Change” as Want to Read:
Living as a River: Finding Fearlessness in the Face of Change

Living as a River: Finding Fearlessness in the Face of Change

To face reality is to embrace change; to resist change is to suffer. This is the liberating insight that unfolds with Living as a River. A masterful investigation of the nature of self, this eloquent blend of current science and time-honored spiritual insight is meant to free us from the fear of impermanence in a world defined by change. An interesting, lively, and genuine ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about Living as a River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living as a River

E. Clark
Mar 27, 2011 E. Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic, perspective-altering book that came into my life at precisely the right moment. The combination of philosophy, science, and anecdote pulled this skeptic in and never let me go. Though it is an easy and enjoyable read, it wants to be read slowly and to be contemplated continuously as it's read, and not just at the end.
Bodhidasa Caldwell
The ideas and practices in this book, supported with mind-blowing scientific data, have deeply challenged my self identity. Time will tell where this will take 'me'.
Feb 05, 2012 Bob rated it it was amazing
Very good. go back to it frequently
Peter Clothier
Oct 25, 2011 Peter Clothier rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I wonder what the New York Times bestseller list would look like if it reflected true quality of writing and the substance and value of important and challenging ideas, rather than celebrity, noisy political rhetoric, easy answers to complex questions, and of course the money that flows freely in commercial hype. I wrote a while ago about a novel, Driftless, by David Rhodes, a profound, thoughtful and beautifully-written book, broad in its sweep and understanding of humanity, which sho ...more
Jun 02, 2016 Val rated it really liked it
I bought this book because it was on someone's blog list as one of the 20 best books for self-development. The first chapter of this book completely engaged me. It had me hooked. As the book continued further it became hard for me to read because some of the ideas seemed far fetched for my always rational and logical mind. Also to mention- I would read certain excerpts to my coworker/friend out loud or point out our daily situations where it could be applied and she would continuously remind me ...more
Jan 01, 2011 Steve rated it it was amazing
I was taught the 6 element practice by Bodhipaksa. I've had mystical experiences doing this meditation. The only problem is it's really only a meditation I want to do on retreat, it's too intense for me to do this meditation in regular life, my life just isn't that supportive.

I got to read some of this book when Bodhipaksa was writing, so I was very excited to get my copy in the mail.

This books is a cleanly and clearly written tour de force. I vote for it as book of the year.
May 21, 2011 Sparrow rated it it was amazing
So you've been meditating. Focusing on the breath, mind drifting, bringing attention back to breathing. Now what? Do you want to go deeper? Here's a path. Well written, easy to understand. Bodhipaksa backs up Buddhist technique with science, and backs that up with compassion.
Dec 21, 2010 Lira rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest books on living your life with ease, grace, and the understanding that all things will change. The eddy metaphor truly delivers and the scientific examples send home the message that we can either embrace change or fight a loosing battle with the river of life.
Aug 05, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book if full to the gunnels of insights, I couldn't even start to recount them.

It took me ages to read as it is one of those books where you read a bit, then go off and think about it.

Highly recommended :)
Alan Divack
Dec 24, 2012 Alan Divack rated it really liked it
Provocative critique of notions of the self drawing on the deeply embodied side of Buddhism. Enlightening!
Jul 26, 2012 Lois rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
I'm only on the early chapters because it is not an easy read, although very readable! I am enjoying it very much, very thought provoking!
Susan rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2012
Caroline Jones
Caroline Jones rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2010
Geoff rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2011
Allison rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Penelope Ann
Penelope Ann rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Dwan Tape
Dwan Tape rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Haikuist rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Tom Mc
Tom Mc rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
John rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2014
Roger rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Jo rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2013
Sara Shepherd
Sara Shepherd rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Roger rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Rod rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Geoff rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2015
Ratna rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Ross rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Elias rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
I’m a Buddhist teacher and author living in New Hampshire, but originally from Scotland.

I got the Sanskrit name (which means “Wings of Enlightenment,” incidentally) when I joined the Western Buddhist Order in 1993, after 11 years of Buddhist practice. I practice at Aryaloka Buddhist Center, which is just down the road.

I run Wildmind, which has a mission to spread compassion and mindfulness through
More about Bodhipaksa...