Start by marking “The Middle Passage (Cat Royal, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
The Middle Passage (Cat Royal, #5.5)

The Middle Passage (Cat Royal #5.5)

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  516 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Librarian's note: This is a free downloadable novella. See the book url for more information.

On board the Dolphin somewhere in the Atlantic, this day August 24th 1792, the crew will be presenting a Two Act Play:

THE MIDDLE PASSAGE

starring Miss Catherine Royal and Mr Billy Shepherd.

Prepare to set sail for a new adventure.
Published 2010

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiGlitches by Marissa MeyerHana by Lauren OliverSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
265th out of 609 books — 1,138 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Giver by Lois LowryHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingEntwined by Heather Dixon
Clean YA Books
84th out of 132 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Shovelmonkey1
Mar 27, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: chidlets who like history with their mystery
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: kindle freeness
Whilst navigating the virtual world of e-books I foundered upon this perky nautical yarn laid out as part prose, part play and bundled up as a historical fiction novella. The Middle Passage refers to the section of the slave traders journey taken from West Africa to the Americas once the business of acquiring slaves had been transacted. Therefore it is something of a mystery to me why the book should be so named when the content of the book deals solely with a series of events taking place on th ...more
Lbousson
Sep 16, 2015 Lbousson rated it liked it
Recommends it for: YA, Pirates
This is a short story set in the middle between two books.

I did not know that when I download and read this book, so I felt a little disoriented in the story at first. However, this story does give the is reader a good sampling of the author's style and writing. For that, I was hooked into the story and wanted to know more about these characters.

It's just a little slice of life story, with a little mystery mixed in, and I can say I wasn't sorry I read it. At the end of the book, I really l
Andrew
Sep 04, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, historical
This short story, while lacking the depth and intensity of Golding's Cat Royal novels, should tide readers over until the next book comes out in the US. It does feature Cat's strong personality, and her love/hate relationship with Billy Shepard. This is absolutely not the place to start with Cat Royal's adventures, but for fans, this is a nice treat between novels.(Also, you know, free, so there's that.)
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Middle Passage, Julia Golding
Caddy
Sep 23, 2014 Caddy rated it it was ok
Cat Royal is an orphan raised in the Drury Lane theater. The Middle Passage is a novella 80 pages long that takes place between the fifth and sixth Cat Royal books. You can download it on Julia Golding's website.

The year is 1792, and William Herschel has recently discovered Uranus. Cat and her friend Billy are sailing from Tortuga to England. They stop at Angra do Heroismo in the Azores while their ship is being repaired, staying with the Flanders family. The two oldest siblings, Peter and Mabel
Apr 05, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok
This takes place right after Black Heart of Jamaica, on Cat and Billy's journey back to England. It's a little mystery story about a stolen telescope with some Cat/Billy relationship development, but really not much happens. I'm still not sold on Cat/Billy, so, this story was OK, but didn't really do much for me.

Note: Got this as a free EPUB download from the author's site (she also has PDF and an online version), but it's also a free e-book on Amazon for those with the Kindle.
Anya
Jan 14, 2012 Anya rated it really liked it
A cute little novella, set at sea, just after Cat has left Jamaica with the one and only Billy Shepard. Of course, these two immediately make a good story - their relationship had recently taken a turn to the strange and almost romantic, if it wasn't for Billy's harsh words and Cat's sharp kicks to his shins.

Book 5.5 tells of Cat and Billy making new friends on the settlement of Angra do Heroismo, only to get caught up in the theft of a prized telescope. All the typical clever devices are there
Michele bookloverforever
young adult...cozy mystery...historical mystery...mildly amusing.
Kate
Jun 02, 2014 Kate rated it liked it
it was ok good way to continue the story
Claire
Sep 15, 2014 Claire rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed it.
Lara
This is a short novella that takes place after Black Heart of Jamaica, during Cat and Billy's voyage back to England. It's basically just a quick little mystery involving a stolen telescope. Pretty simplistic, and nothing you'll be missing if you don't read it, but it's a fun little bridge between the last book and the next, if you're just dying for more of Cat and Billy.
Kell
Jan 11, 2012 Kell rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Kindle e-book.

I’m quite sad to have finished all the Cat Royal books as I’ve enjoyed them a great deal. I sincerely hope Golding decides to write Cat’s further adventures at some point, as I’m sure she’ll continue to have an exciting life packed with all manner of adventures. This one occurs between the last two books and is available for free download.
Margaret Metz
Feb 22, 2011 Margaret Metz rated it really liked it
This was a short and fun read in a hybrid of novel and play styles. What I liked most was the author's voice and the characters. This isn't the sort of reading that challenges you to deep thinking, but it was entertaining and made me smile. I would look forward to more titles by the same author and that is a good sign. :o)
Elevetha
2.5 stars.

Nothing spectacular. I must say I expected a bit more....

I swear if Billy ends up with Cat, I'm done. I'm out. That is it. I hate Billy. He can have his "second...third....fourth...fifth...sixth chance" elsewhere. And I have a feeling he's sticking around.
Juliet Smith
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I could not figure out who the thief was.
J. Ewbank
This two act play is very interesting and enjoyable reading. The characters are believable and interesting, an even in some cases, lovable.It was a good but short mystery. I will read more by this author.

J. Robert Ewbank, author "John Wesley, Natural Man,and the 'Isms'".
Nadine Heroux
Apr 27, 2012 Nadine Heroux rated it it was amazing
i really enjoy the cat royal series this one in particular is one of my favorites. billy kisses cat eeek!!! (hate that guy such a....crook) okay so i love this old time back drop, the action,the humor,and the romance. GREAST read the sory is really well put together!
Xolindsayxx18
Jan 01, 2011 Xolindsayxx18 rated it really liked it
Printed this off after finishing Black Heart of Jamica and though it wasn't as great an adventure as is normal for Cat I really did enjoy it. I was glad to have it as an in between. It even made me like Billy even more. I am really warming up to him.
Nicole
Aug 25, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
This is a sweet little story which is a lot of fun! I did not realise that this was in the middle of a series of books as it did not require knowledge of story arcs or characters. Good bit of distraction!
Kristy
Jun 03, 2011 Kristy rated it did not like it
Blahhhh. I almost fell asleep reading this...but come to think of it I probably would have gotten more intellectual stimulation from sleep than reading this.
Aa'Ishah
It's a testimony to this series that even after coming back to it years later, no longer a young teen, I still love it. Brilliant.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Dec 01, 2012 Kathy (Kindle-aholic) rated it really liked it
good short. haven't read the other books in the series but it was easy to get into. Historical, light mystery involving theft.
Tasha
Sep 05, 2012 Tasha rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
A pleasant little novella, though has more than a few grammatical errors. I'm intrigued by this Billy/Cat relationship.
Emmy Styles
Just got this book because it was free on the Kindle best sellers. An easy read, not boring but not riveting either.
Lili
Jun 07, 2012 Lili rated it did not like it
Shelves: short-stories, kindle
i thought this sounded good from the write up. It is a short story that needed to be longer, not good.
Aine
Jun 10, 2011 Aine rated it did not like it
I got through 30% of it. And, um... zzzzzzzzzzzz I'm not even sure what I read, it was so boring.
Katya
Jul 13, 2013 Katya rated it really liked it
Billy's turning up to be a more agreeable character after all. A satisfyingly enjoyable novella.
Lauren
Sep 27, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it
This was a free novella on the Kindle app and I would like to find the rest of the story.
Annie
Nov 28, 2012 Annie rated it did not like it
Shelves: painful-to-read
Not worth the price I paid (free). YA shouldn't be an excuse for poor writing.
Audrey Grant
Jun 09, 2011 Audrey Grant rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book
Confusing, short...would NOT recommend it. No redeeming qualities.
  • My Beautiful Disaster (The Pathway Collection, #2)
  • The Queen's Dollmaker
  • Mozart's Blood
  • Treasure Lost
  • A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street
  • Scent (Sensations, #1)
  • Snapdragon Alley
  • Always Watching (The Rayne Tour, #1)
  • The Little Known
  • Nate (Devils on Horseback,  #1)
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • Booth's Sister
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • Cat Calls
  • Remedial Magic (Faeriewalker, #0.5)
  • Saving Sailor: A Quirky Girl, A Faithful Dog, and One Unforgettable Summer (A.J., #1)
  • Moonstone (Unbidden Magic, #1)
  • Chosen Ones (Aedyn Chronicles #1)
My journey to becoming an author has been a roundabout one, taking in many other careers. I grew up on the edge of Epping Forest and was that dreamy kind of child who was always writing stories. After reading English at Cambridge, I decided to find out as much as I could about the wider world so joined the Foreign Office and served in Poland. My work as a diplomat took me from the high point of to ...more
More about Julia Golding...

Cat Royal (6 books)
  • The Diamond of Drury Lane (Cat Royal, #1)
  • Cat Among the Pigeons (Cat Royal, #2)
  • Den of Thieves (Cat Royal, #3)
  • Cat-O'nine Tails (Cat Royal, #4)
  • Black Heart of Jamaica (Cat Royal, #5)
  • Cat's Cradle (Cat Royal, #6)

“perch on the wall” 0 likes