Start by marking “Healing and Preventing Autism: A Complete Guide” as Want to Read:
Healing and Preventing Autism: A Complete Guide

Healing and Preventing Autism: A Complete Guide

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  35 reviews

The must-have "New York Times" bestseller that tells you what to do now for a child with autism, ADD, ADHD, OCD, and other disorders
For any child with challenges, early intervention is essential and parents need a plan that they can implement right away. Jenny McCarthy, one of the country's leading autism advocates, has teamed up with top autism specialist Jerry Kartzine
Published March 1st 2009 by Plume Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Healing and Preventing Autism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing and Preventing Autism

Cecelia Tencza
If you want to help a child with Autism see a dr. This woman knows nothing except how to pose in front of a camera.
Alix Oates
Read just to see what it said. Couldn't finish it. You cannot cure Autism. Autism is not a disease.
Marissa
This woman knows nothing! You CAN NOT cure or prevent Autism! I have worked with children and teens with Autism for 8 years... What a family needs is a good team of therapists who can help teach a child with ASD how to function to the best of their ability in the world outside of their own. Consult a professional if you think your child may have Autism... Someone with a degree who knows more than a mother that thinks she has "cured" her son.
Kristin
"Alternative" view of how to deal with autism. You can tell there is an agenda in parts, but I think it brings up great points that many parents wouldn't think to question (after all, shouldn't your doctor know what is best for your child?). It makes a great point that while we may not understand a disorder, if we treat other issues (eg bowel disorders, which are common in people with autism) then the symptoms may be reduced also. Information/resources is well organized and I could see this bein ...more
Dawn
This book was more in depth than the Conquering Autism book, and although I found more things in it that made me stop and think, I also have reservations about it. The give-and-take interview style, and the sometimes condescending tone of the interviews did not work for me. And if you want to convince me scientifically, don't bring God or religious terminology into the text. I think there may be something here, but portions did not work for me at all.
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
Hate Jenny McCarthy...hate her writing even more! Didn't finish.
Jostalady
I am glad to have this information condensed in one place. I am still getting familiar with approaches for Autism and the ideas around this diagnosis. I am glad this book lays them out so clearly. The supplements section is going to be worth revisiting, and may make owning the book worthwhile.

I agree with other critisms that they take an overly aggressive stance against doctors. I am sure it is stemming from the personal experiences and one should not expect to find incompetence in every doctor
Jessica
Published in 2009, many findings would now be considered "incomplete" and "inaccurate." I read this book when a student in my class had Autism and his mother requested a read sections, and/or, this book. I now give it 3/5 stars not because I stand with or against any of Jenny's beliefs, but because I remain neutral. Every parent will fight to their last breath for what is best for their child; that is what I believe.
Kira
This book is the complete encyclopedia of autism and what you can do to take back your child's health. As a healthcare provider myself, I am incredibly impressed with the quality of imformation in this book, as well as the exceptional manner in which Jenny and Dr. Jerry broke it down and made it easy for the non-medical person to understand.

This book is a beacon of light for parents who are frustrated by the medical establishment, and feel that they are not getting the answers they need or the
Joann
This is a must-read for ANY parent. I will warn you that the Q&A style is a bit annoying and Jenny McCarthy gets off track/annoying in some of her comments however, the Dr. gives sound advice backed by research. I believe there are diet and lifestyle guidelines in this book that would help any child get or stay healthy. This book made me feel very confident in some of my decisions and added to the regret I feel for some- however it gave real plans and ways to make up for past health mistakes ...more
Julie
This book is filled with information. Most of it I had heard or read about in other Autism books. The book reads like an interview and that part was a bit annoying. Most of the interventions the Doctor and Jenny wrote about are good ideas that parents should consider when treating autism. The book only talked about supplements and biomedical treatments. They mentioned in passing some other interventions and I think it is important to keep in mind that there are many behavioral therapies availabl ...more
Tubaville
Confession: I didn't finish it. The entire book was written in a question and answer style with Jenny McCarthy asking a doctor questions about autism treatment. I tried to forge through it but it was the style that turned me off. There was a lot of good information in the book but I was too hung up on it being a several hundred page interview.

I also had personal issues that tripped me up. The doctor talked about adopting a child with autism as though he was doing a great humanitarian thing (I fe
Jessie
Very interesting read. It was my first introduction to the world of biomedical treatments for autism. If you want to pursue biomed treatments for your child, this book is a must read. It provides very useful and detailed information. Readers should be cautioned that it is not a fair and balanced review of the research surrounding biomedical treatments however. In general, I dislike the antagonistic tone toward traditional medicine in of all the Jenny McCarthy autism books. Also be warned that Je ...more
Kara
The Prevention piece of this book begins on page 262 and is only 13 pages long, but many of the recommendations were not new to me for general healthy living and limiting toxins to your unborn baby. Although the writing style of the book (question and answer, with lots of jokes and comments) was not my ideal, it covered numerous biomedical treatments for children with autism. It reinforced the lengths and trials parents will go to help their children improve their health.

I wouldn't recommend it
I am reading this to learn more about biomedical/alternative methods used to treat symptoms of autism and other childhood delays. The Doctor co-author of this book makes very good points and really breaks down difficult biomedical/physiological topics into language that parents can understand, with ideas that you can follow through with at home. Lots of statistics and research included. If you ever wanted to learn about autism, this is a great book.
Crystin
This book was recommended by a professor of mine in order to see another view on autism treatment. It was an interesting book and many scientific concepts were nicely stated but personally I don’t agree with some of the treatment methods, have a hard time believing vaccines caused autism, and do not like it when a book only shows one point of view and completely excludes other valid views on the subject.
Tina
Oct 19, 2009 Tina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any parent who has a child suffering with autism
I learned a great deal about autism and all the treatments available. There is a good deal of information on possible causes of autism as well. Although I am aware that some of the information in the book is considered a bit controversial, I still found the book to be a wonderful source of information. I would consider this a must read for any parent who has a child afflicted by autism.
Caryn
Interesting. Unproven, but the intereventions are worth trying, imo. I read this almost 2 years ago, when I first started suspecting Julian had autism. They explore and imply the vaccine-autism link, which I think is dubious, but they also explore the links between autism and autoimmune disorders, GI issues, and food sensitivities, which are factual. Worth reading with a grain of salt.
Michelle
This was not an easy read. There was a whole chapter on 'poop'! But I do believe it is an important book for parents to read. Even if you don't have an autistic child, I am sure there are many take-aways which can help you improve the health of your children. As a teacher, I can definitely see how environmental toxins and food affect my students.
Lydia
Mar 25, 2011 Lydia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The brazen title of this book caught my eye.... So far, however, there's been nothing far-fetched or ridiculous. Very interesting, actually. Autism is a subject of great curiosity for me right now, so I'm trying to get as much information as possible and understand all the different viewpoints out there.
Greta
This book would probably have been more interesting if I had a child with autism and was trying to deal with it. The main part I was interested in was the information on different immunizations. I would like to get the book from the library (again) to go over what was presented in that section.
Deborah
This is a very practical application book to read for someone who has a newly diagnosed child. It has symptom diagrams that help you identify whether a reaction is "autistic", or a physical symptom. It helped me erradicate some of my child's behaviors by addressing physical maladies.
Valerie
This book was full of very valuable information. My only criticism is that the title markets it to parents of autistic children when in fact this is a good read for all parents.
Denise
An amazing book! The protocol that they are using for autism is also helping kids with ADD, ADHD, OCD. learning problems, and other disorders.
Kim
Very, very informative book. I feel so empowered about my children's health and my kids don't have Austism.
Tracy Saks
This was a slow read for me but it made me want to take my son back to the D.A.N. doctor.
Jana
They made some really good points and things that I might be willing to try in a couple of years.
Eldra
As Autism is a national epidemic, this book should be a "must read" for all teachers and parents.
Amanda Himes
Terrible, unscientific. This woman has no business advising other parents on autism treatments.
Dayna
Even though this was sloppily & hastily written, Jenny speaks from her heart, and it shows.
  • Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
  • Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder: A Mother's Story of Research & Recovery
  • The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook: The Ultimate Guide to the Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Diet
  • Evidence of Harm: Mercury in Vaccines and the Autism Epidemic: A Medical Controversy
  • Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family's Triumph over Autism
  • The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism & Asperger's
  • Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew
  • A Child's Journey Out of Autism: One Family's Story of Living in Hope and Finding a Cure
  • The Autism Revolution: Whole-Body Strategies for Making Life All It Can Be
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs
  • Applied Behavior Analysis
  • Making Gay Okay: How Rationalizing Homosexual Behavior Is Changing Everything
  • Autism and the God Connection
  • The New Social Story Book: Over 150 Social Stories that Teach Everyday Social Skills to Children with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome, and Their Peers
  • Paula Deen's My First Cookbook
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's
  • How to Be Famous: Our Guide to Looking the Part, Playing the Press, and Becoming a Tabloid Fixture
  • The Verbal Behavior Approach: How to Teach Children With Autism and Related Disorders
Jennifer McCarthy is an American model, comedian, actress and author. She first appeared in Playboy magazine in October 1993 and was named Playmate of the Year in its June 1994 issue. She later began a career in television and film and has recently started writing books dealing largely with her pregnancy and motherhood of a child with autism.
More about Jenny McCarthy...
Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth About Pregnancy and Childbirth Baby Laughs: The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood Louder Than Words: A Mother's Journey in Healing Autism Life Laughs: The Naked Truth About Motherhood, Marriage, and Moving On Love, Lust & Faking It: The Naked Truth About Sex, Lies, and True Romance