Start by marking “The Iron Butterfly: Memoir of a Martial Arts Master: The True Story of a Mermaid's Daughter” as Want to Read:

"A powerful and cathartic memoir" -Helen Tse, author, Sweet Mandarin, a finalist for the Portico Prize While growing up in a rural fishing village following the Korean War, Choon-Ok Jade Harmon discovered how to fight for survival at an early age. She was the youngest of seven children, and her destitute family faced constant hunger, bitterly cold winters, and an often-abu ...more
Published February 8th 2011 by Pelican Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Iron Butterfly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Iron Butterfly

Cynthia Larson
Mar 12, 2011 Cynthia Larson rated it it was amazing
Inspirational Story of a "Mermaid's Daughter" Turned Martial Artist

This page-turner memoir of a martial arts master transported me to another world of arranged marriages and people living in great poverty off whatever food the land and sea had to provide on the small Korean island of Koje Do. Choon Ok's mother kept her family alive through extraordinarily difficult times with little to no help from her father, always working to do her best for her family, no matter the personal risks to herself.
Jenevieve
Jun 26, 2011 Jenevieve rated it it was amazing
Memoir of a Martial Arts Master and the True Story of a Mermaid's Daughter. This is an autobiography of the highest ranking woman in Kuk Sool Won, a traditional Korean martial art. It tells of her life from birth to present and everything she has gone through to get to where she is today: a 9th degree black belt in Kuk Sool Won, married to another 9th degree black belt, mother of two. She shows how all her hard-work and dedication to what she believed in has brought her the life she always dream ...more
Bailey Nicole
Oct 20, 2014 Bailey Nicole rated it it was amazing
my favorite book in the entire world. This story is about my best friend's mom, and it is so incredible amazing what this admirable woman has gone through. Choon -Ok Harmon is my biggest inspiration in the world. I've read it over and over and over and every time it's like I'm reading the stories for the first time again.
Louise
Sep 18, 2013 Louise rated it really liked it
Each time that I saw this book n a book store, I thought about buying it, but the sometimes frugal person in me, wouldn't let me; but when I finally decided to do the Nook Version, I was glad that I did.
Iron Butterfly shows that with determination and perservance, a person can achieve their goals, even under the most severe adversities.
Janel
Aug 01, 2012 Janel rated it really liked it

As a Korean American, I loved this book. The story could be read as a chapter book for young children or as a quick read for an adult intrigued with the opening. I recommend it to anyone interested in the story of a strong woman dedicated to her goals.
Ann Alton
Oct 17, 2012 Ann Alton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fascinating memoir. Inspiring and well written, I devoured it in one day. This is a book you will not want to miss, and you will want your daughters, and sons, to read about the triumphs of this amazing woman.
Tara Chklovski
Jan 22, 2012 Tara Chklovski rated it liked it
Very inspiring! A true testament to how powerful hard work and training can be and where it can take you. Her mother's stories are even crazier and more hard core! Really puts modern day whining and complaining into perspective!
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Umm
Umm rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2012
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2013
Ken Ring
Ken Ring rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Mdbeltrano
Mdbeltrano rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2017
Keith
Keith rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2012
Mimi
Mimi rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2013
Catia Jendrzey
Catia Jendrzey rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2013
Robin
Robin rated it it was ok
May 05, 2012
Shonika
Shonika rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Bruce Coates
Bruce Coates rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2015
Stephanie Cotner
Stephanie Cotner rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
alicia croy
alicia croy rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2015
Molly F.
Molly F. rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2013
Tanner
Tanner rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Aubra
Aubra rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2012
Wes Heaps
Wes Heaps rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2012
Lisa Godfrees
Lisa Godfrees rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2014
Soke Ahmadi
Soke Ahmadi rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Enrique
Enrique rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Gotkuksool
Gotkuksool rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2011
Kel
Kel marked it as to-read
May 11, 2011
Maxfene
Maxfene marked it as to-read
May 27, 2011
Mccall Probert
Mccall Probert marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2011
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2011
Margaux
Margaux marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2011
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Aquavelvaman
Aquavelvaman marked it as to-read
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Elizabeth Reeve
Elizabeth Reeve marked it as to-read
Autumn
Autumn marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2012
Ruben
Ruben marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2012
Javier
Javier added it
May 12, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2012
Cat Kim
Cat Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2012
Angeline Gragasin
Angeline Gragasin marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2012
Dali
Dali added it
Sep 10, 2012
Bonnie Reid
Bonnie Reid marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2012
Cjt
Cjt added it
Oct 12, 2012
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2013
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2013
Patricia Davis totaro
Patricia Davis totaro marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Evan Lestet
Evan Lestet marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2013