Cold Case

Cold Case

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  41 reviews
When 13-year-old Oz Keillor finds a dead body in his family restaurant, he is soon caught up in a mystery where the stakes are high. His older brother is the prime suspect, and Oz quickly finds out that the murder may be tied to the death of their father years earlier, who was accused of selling nuclear secrets to rouge governments.

With the fate of his f...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Aladdin

Angie
I love a good murder mystery, so when I was offered this one for review (THANK YOU) I of course said sure.

Things I Liked:
1)The relationships around Oz (the main character)--he and his brother Dave, he and his best friend Rusty, he and fellow restaurant employee Razor. They all rang true in terms of how they communicated and got along.
2)The history of Los Alamos and descriptions of Santa Fe.
3)The descriptions of how a kitchen runs. Not that I cook but still ... it made sense and seemed like it re...more
Phoebe
Oz and his friend Rusty find themselves in a strange new world when Oz discovers a body in his family's restaurant, and Dave, Oz's brother, is arrested for murder. Oz's mother is in France, and the list of adults Oz can turn to is short. He and Rusty embark upon their own investigation since the police seem to think it's an open and shut case. What connection did the murdered man have with Dave, and with Oz's dad, once a scientist at Los Alamos, uncovered as a spy, and dead before Oz was born? T...more
Aditya Jha
The book is about a murder of a newspaper writer that happens at a boys family restaurant. Oz who is the boy gets his brother taken away by the police because they think that he committed the crime. Oz goes to his mom's lawyer to find out what is going on. Oz does the investigation by himself and finds out that someone who worked with his dad (the dad was pronounced a traitor after some files got out of the nuclear plant that he worked in, but it was a lie the man who did the murder leaked the f...more
Molly Jo
This book totally took me back to when I was 12 and reading my first mystery novel! Actually, I may have been younger. It was Megan's Island by Willo David Roberts. Ah, the memories. Moving on.

Poor Oz! He goes into the family restaurant to get things ready for the night and finds a dead body and a LOT of blood in the freezer. Not exactly conducive to a nice evening. Things rapidly spiral out of control when it looks like Oz's brother had the perfect motive and opportunity. The police also enligh...more
Tammy Dahle
My thoughts:
Finding a dead body in a walk in freezer is not a good way to start the day. But things go from bad to worse when Oz's big brother and head chef is accused of murder and thrown in jail. Suddenly it's up to Oz to get to the bottom of the crime and fast because police are starting to look at him as a possible accomplice.
Cold Case is a sharp, engaging, detective mystery perfect for middle school readers, as well as older readers. Main character Oz feels like the real deal as he strugg...more
Kailee
The book Cold Case by Julia Leonard was very interesting. I enjoy reading this book. I was on the edge of my seat every page. The book follows Oz, who is the main character, on his adventure. Oz goes into work at his families restaurant early one morning, when he discovers more than he was looking for. I don’t want to give too much away, so I am not going to say much. When he arrives to work he discovers blood on the counters, he follows the blood to their walk-in fridge where there is a dead ma...more
Devin Logan
Imagine be a 13-yr. old boy, with a life that seems to be normal for what you know. Until you go to the family restaurant early one Saturday morning and are horrified by the sight that you see. The back door light is busted out, the back door is unlocked with no signs of forced entry, and there is such an errie feeling in your body. Then, when you turn on the lights you see something you couldn't have imagined would be there in a million years. Blood!

That is what happened to Oz Keiler. He went...more
Diana Renn
This mystery has all great ingredients: a Sante Fe setting, a family restaurant, and a boy (named Oz) who stumbles into a mystery when he finds a dead body in the restaurant's freezer. The situation worsens for Oz when his brother becomes the prime suspect. The plot is complex, with many twists and turns, as well as a subplot mystery about Oz's late father and his role in a Los Alamos lab years ago. I could not figure out who committed the crime until the very end, but I was always intrigued, as...more
Matija Prokic
In the book, Cold Case, by Julia Platt Leonard, a boy named Oz lives with his brother Dave because his dad died and his mom is in London. He is going to help his brother at there restaurant, Chez Isabel’s. But when he gets there he finds a dead body. The police think that Dave is the murder. Oz and his best friend Rusty are determined that Dave did not murder. Oz asks a whole bunch of people including a news reporter that worked with the victim. The reporter tells Oz he wants to show him somethi...more
Klee
Despite the lackluster cover and title, I found this kid oriented mystery a better read than Grisham's "Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer," geared to the same age range. As a relentless reader of adult mysteries, I have to adjust my expectations when reading this genre for kids and teens and not judge them against the plotting and characterization of a Ruth Rendell. This book held up the whodunit aspect for longer than most and gave a decent feel for the city of Santa Fe. There is just enough history o...more
Riley
Tracey
This novel is very much like Grisham's Theodore Boone:Kid Lawyer books. For an adult, solving the crime is not a tough task - the foreshadowing is laid on pretty thick. However, I can see how a young reader would enjoy the story. The protagonist is 13 years old and so I would imagine that someone of that age reading this book would enjoy how smart and brave Oz and Rusty are. I like that Rusty is a female and that she is more of the CSI brains of the operation. I find it odd that the parents are...more
Christian Roberts
Cold Case by Julia Platt Lenard is a book set in present day Santé Fe, New Mexico. It is about 13 year old Oz who needs to clear a case about his brother who is charged with murder. Oz also must find out more about his dads death also. The murderer will stop at nothing to make sure he is not suspected. Will Oz succeed? Read and find out.
I rate this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars. It is a very descriptive book. It gets very good near the end and picks up the pace. It needs a little more action in the...more
Ashley Jones
I liked this book, the author made it amazingly so it was totally impossible to put down.
Mary Farrell
Good murder mystery, though a little too predictable.
Devin Logan
I personally enjoyed this book a lot! The author uses a curious teen as the main character,Oz, and through him and his adventures we see how far and how many barriers and limits someone will go through and break to reach the truth. Oz has been given such an image about his dad, whom he never knew and he is determined to find out the truth about his dad. S he and his friend, Rusty go throughout Santa Fe searching for clues and answers to the sudden events that had occurred. Un
Dolores
It took me a really long time to get into this book, but I did end up enjoying it. Mysteries are pretty scare for young adults, and this is a pretty decent one. And a murder mystery, at that. I thought the "whodunnit" was pretty obvious, although I'm not sure teens would feel the same way. It felt very odd that Oz was so alone in the world, I guess that added to his sense of urgency in solving the crime.
Boyd Dart
A murder mystery set in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Young Oz Keillor finds a dead man in the kitchen of his family's restaurant. Is older brother is arrested for the crime. Oz is certain he is innocent, can he and his best friend Rusty learn the truth in time to save his brother. I enjoyed this book but felt many similarities to the Theodore Boone series and there was some predictability in the ending.
Annabeth Paige
I think that this a really good murder mystery I've read. You really have to think if you want to figure who did committed the crime. In this book it turns out to by someone I didn't even think it would by so it really surprised me. It really keep keep you on your toes with a bunch of action of trying to figure who did it. With two mysteries in one this is one good book.
Amy
A book with a murder, some mystery from the past,and a kid searching for the truth about his Dad. I found the plot a bit slow and I have a hard time with books where the bad guy (who I guessed very early on) actually sits there before killing his intended victim and explains how he did the deed. It just didn't ring true to me.
Karen
Excellent Mystery read! Likeable characters with a little history mixed in. Main characters are male and female. This story allows a young thirteen year old to take control of a situation. This will make a great book report book.
Lauren Welty
I didn't really like this book. I sort of lost interest through the middle of it. The beginning was okay. It just didn't make sense to me through out some of it. I felt like i re-read too many things. I didn't understand it at all.
Cassidy
I loved this book. It was very fun to read and exciting. I was always on the edge of my seat reading this. I would read this book anywhere. School, restraint or even in the middle of the night.
Jerry
This book was fantastic. It kept me hooked throughout the book. I don't normally like mystery books, but this one was different. I would recommend this to everyone.
Emily
Jun 27, 2013 Emily added it
I loved this book! I think there should be a following book, I hate reading books but when I read this one I couldnt stop till I was finished it was such a great book!
Claire
Cold Case was a great mystery that is hard to find these days. I loved how the case was personal for the main character in more ways than one. Read it to find out!
Margo Dill
This is a great adventure book for kids. It's a crime drama (CSI, THE MENTALIST, THE CLOSER, etc) for middle-grade readers. They will love it!
Anne
A serviceable mystery with a teen protagonist. I figured out "whodunnit" long before the end which isn't usually the case for me.
Kathleen Brunnett
YA - fabulous mystery thriller for the middle set. Kept me guessing quite a bit, so I know my students will enjoy it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Julia Platt Leonard has been a television reporter, pastry chef & bread baker for Todd English, and a food consultant. She lives in London with her family. When she’s not dreaming about what’s for dinner or thinking up new stories, she is a freelance copy writer and recipe tester. Cold Case is her first novel.
More about Julia Platt Leonard...