Start by marking “Mad Scientist (Babymouse, #14)” as Want to Read:
Mad Scientist (Babymouse, #14)

Mad Scientist (Babymouse #14)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  890 ratings  ·  82 reviews
NEW YORK TIMES bestselling and Newbery Honor winning author Jennifer Holm teams up with Matthew Holm to bring you a fully illustrated graphic novel series packed with humor and kid appeal—BABYMOUSE!

With multiple Children's Choice awards and over 1.7 million books in print, kids, parents, and teachers agree that Babymouse is perfect for fans of Junie B. Jones, Ivy and Be
Published May 10th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Mad Scientist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Scientist

Leah
Babymouse Mad Scientist by Jennifer L Holm and Matthew Holm is another book in the Babymouse series about a young girl mouse. In this book, Babymouse does a science experiment for a fair. She has trouble picking a topic, until her dad gives her an idea about researching amoebas. She is not doing well in her science class, so she wants to impress everyone with her science fair project. Upon her research, she examines an amoeba under a microscope. This green amoeba turns out to be able to talk and ...more
Angie
Title: Babymouse: Mad Scientist
Primary
Briefly evaluate the use of text and images for each book. Describe a possible application and audience for each book.

The illustrations are mostly black and white with a little pink thrown in, until the end when Babymouse finds an amoeba name Squish who is green. Most of the text is in speech bubbles. There are boxes of text at the top that aid you in knowing where and when the story is currently taking place. It is still sometimes difficult to decipher wha
Elizabeth
The 14th installment of this popular series finds Babymouse up to her usual antics: daydreaming while attempting to conquer her latest interest. This one is the science fair, encouraged by her father she begins to study amoebas. Little does she know they're not as boring as one would think . . .

Filled with humor and sly references to pop culture, Babymouse should be read with care, lest you miss a hilarious aside or picture. This installment also does double duty as an introduction to Squish, wh
Susie
I am going to have to be sure to read all of the Babymouse books! Being a former science teacher, there was so much I enjoyed in reading this. I like the way Holm creates humor that appeals to both students and adults. Of course, I cringed when the entire class was growing mold to demonstrate the scientific method (not a bad idea, but I've seen it hundreds of times!), and amoebas are not green. But, other than that, the book is so clever and funny. It's a great example of how graphic novels can ...more
Penny Maiken
LOVED IT!!! This graphic novel was so cute, Babymouse is such a sweet character and I loved her story!
Lela
Babymouse: Mad Scientist - Elementary

The main character of this story is an imaginative young female rodent named Babymouse. She does her best to conquer the frustrating world of “The Science Fair,” and along the way discovers a surprising new friend in the form of an amoeba named Squish. At first glance, this graphic novel is confusing. The panels change from black and white to colored frames, seemingly at random. It is only after a second or third read (and some internal dialogue of my own), t
Miriam
This was super cute and I loved the concept. I kept wishing there were more... something. More science? More positivity about science? Not sure. This is my first encounter with Babymouse, though, so maybe I would have loved it more if I had started at the beginning. I'll probably go find the first book soon.
kristen
Yippee! A female protagonist adorably tackling a science project wearing her heart adorned lab coat. Favorite part was her meeting Squish the Amoeba (starring in his own series) under the microscope and saying "this is like Horton Hears a Who" as they talk to each other.
Alisha Slone
This book is about a girl named BabyMouse who is always daydreaming about being a Scientist. She gets a new Science teacher who is confident that he and his students will be great scientists someday. But BabyMouse can never seem to focus in class because she is always daydreaming. Her father gives BabyMouse a science fair flyer. Her father dreamed of being a scientist but since that never happened, he hopes that BabyMouse will be the first scientist in their family. BabyMouse can't wait to be in ...more
Dolly
Jul 29, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read graphic novels
This is the fourteenth book in the Babymouse series by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm. The plot centers on Babymouse's experiences preparing for the school science fair. I liked the fact that the science teacher explains the Scientific Method to the class, and that the story encourages children to be curious and examine the world around them.

As usual, things don't work out very smoothly for Babymouse, but she discovers a new friend. I thought the introduction of Squish the amoeba was enterta
Jessica
I have a new appreciation for science fairs, thanks to my kids. I understand Babymouse's boredom and irritation at having to watch mold grow on bread, and not having the mold actually grow. . .

This book is also the introduction of a character called Squish, who has his own series. I'll have to check those out!
Sarah W
Mad Scientist was my first read in the Babymouse series. Babymouse's frequent daydreams were amusing. Her inattention causes problems, including a familial accident. I enjoyed the moments where her dad read to her. As a librarian, I loved her excitement at a wrapped book. I also well understood her frustration at hearing her dad's excitement about the science fair when she wanted to hear the end of the fairy tale he'd been reading.

Having recently read Squish I enjoyed the tie-ins between the two
Oliver
i liked it because Squish was in the book. This was how he was created. He loves cupcakes and it is strange Babymouse said that he had never had a cupcake before. I like books about mad scientists.
Rebecca
Good. But kind of felt a little bit like a promo for the other series more than just a Babymouse. I didn't really have a problem with that, but it just sat a little weirdly for me.
Kaethe
What a great way to introduce Squish. I really appreciated Babymouse's desire to do something different for the science fair, and the direction she went in. Yay, for the scientific method!
Tricia
Since we recently read Squish: Super Amoeba, I thought we should go back to the Babymouse book where he first appeared. I think I've flipped through a couple of babymouse books before (my boys have read quite a few), but never really got into them. This one is kind of cute, and you even learn a few factoids about amoeba while reading. One thing that bothered me, though: if Babymouse spends so much time daydreaming about scientific discoveries, why isn't she more interested in actually doing scie ...more
Doris
Babymouse once again entertains her fans with graphic novel style antics. In number fourteen, she must come up with an idea for the science fair. Many possibilities exist and we learn much about famous scientists and her new science teacher who loves mold. The teacher does a good job explaining the Scientific Method which will come in handy for many! Babymouse, as always, figures out a way to create havoc all around her. Amoebas turn out to be her best bet with Squish, a cupcake loving amoeba, p ...more
Shelli
Warning! After reading this book your children will want to break out the Petri dishes and microscope. Babymouse has to come up with a project for her schools science fair. Young readers will learn all about the Scientific Method right along with Babymouse. Congratulations to Jennifer and Matthew Holm for making science fun. Her ameba, named Squish, looks as though he will have his own graphic novel spin off series. Stranger things have happened then a book series about protozoan life right? The ...more
Van
A series that is very simple and easy to enjoy and love.
Gabriel
I like that they figured out how to put Squish in the story.
Sara
I love that Squish is in this one! Sometimes there are great little surprises when you are late to the party to a series/or don't read it in order.
Lady Knight
I was relatively disappointed with this offering. Babymouse is a great way to get reluctant readers into books and while this was still a good read, a lot of the vocabulary was beyond what most kids in the 7-10 range can handle (and I don't just mean the scientific jargon). That said, I really did like the introduction to Squish and the friendship that grew between him and Babymouse.
Heidi
Many of the girls at my school love this series, so I will be adding the books from the series that the library doesn't already have. This book provides a light, fun read. There is a slight plot involving a science fair and the introduction of Squish, the amoeba. I did enjoy Babymouse's daydreaming, it reminded me of my own daydreaming tendencies, past and present. Overall, recommended for those who like the series.
Karly Kovac
I thought this was a really cute book! It demonstrates that if you set your mind to something you can do it! Babymouse's dad really wanted to be a scientist when he was little but it never happened. He was hoping Babymouse would be the first scientist in the family. Babymouse wants to become famous from the science fair and although she enters it and doesn't become famous, she still has a great time!
H Nut
Really good book! I don't really know what I liked about it. I liked Squish. I like Babymouse. My favorite thing about books is that I have read one of the books and so I kind of know a little bit about what is going to happen. Like I can read the title and kind of know what it is about. And I can tell by the picture on the front.

I recommend this book to middle-aged kids.
Robin
Clearly I was remiss in starting the new series by the same author (Squish) without reading the 'origin story' so I am reading it now and thinking about how much I like Babymouse because she is a slightly distracted female character who has trouble paying attention in school, characteristics that are usually attributed to male characters in literature. Babymouse rocks!
jacky
Not my favorite volume. Wasn't a huge fan of Squishy the amoeba. Felt Babymouse's try at math team and band were more entertaining and heartfelt.
Stefanie Kellum
While this wasn't my favorite in the series, Holm and Holm can do no wrong in my eyes. This time Babymouse is tackling the science fair, and she meets a new single-celled friend along the way. Say hello to Squish, who literally adds a little color (green) to the Babymouse series. He'll have a series of his own soon, which I'm sure elementary kids will eat up as well.
Mary Boyle
This was my first ever graphic novel. I would like to add some of these titles to my classroom library. I liked the humor in this book and there was actually some good scientific information woven into it. This book is good for engaging young readers in graphic novels, giving children a different type of book to read in addition to beginning chapter books.
Samantha
Poor Babymouse. Her wiskers are always wrinkled, her room is a wreck, and she can't seem to keep from daydreaming when she should be listening. Can she get herself together to have a winning entry in the Science Fair? With her dad's support and a little help from her science teacher, she might just pull it off!
MCC Children's Li...: Fun educational novel 1 1 Apr 17, 2012 11:29AM
  • Lunch Lady and the Picture Day Peril (Lunch Lady, #8)
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • Binky Under Pressure
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Evil Penguin Plan
  • And Then There Were Gnomes
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace
  • Around the World
  • Gabby and Gator
  • Hera: The Goddess and her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • Owly, Vol. 5: Tiny Tales
  • Sidekicks
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
Jennifer L. Holm is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling children's author and the recipient of three Newbery Honors for her novels OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA, PENNY FROM HEAVEN, and TURTLE IN PARADISE.

Jennifer collaborates with her brother, Matthew Holm, on two graphic novel series -- the Eisner Award-winning Babymouse series and the bestselling Squish series. She is also the author of several other highly pra
More about Jennifer L. Holm...

Babymouse (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1)
  • Our Hero (Babymouse, #2)
  • Beach Babe (Babymouse, #3)
  • Rock Star (Babymouse, #4)
  • Heartbreaker (Babymouse, #5)
  • Camp Babymouse (Babymouse, #6)
  • Skater Girl (Babymouse, #7)
  • Puppy Love (Babymouse, #8)
  • Monster Mash (Babymouse, #9)
  • Babymouse: The Musical (Babymouse, #10)
Turtle in Paradise Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1) Penny from Heaven Our Only May Amelia (May Amelia, #1) The Fourteenth Goldfish