Mad Scientist (Babymouse, #14)

Mad Scientist (Babymouse #14)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  559 ratings  ·  66 reviews
The greatest scientific discovery of the 21st century is about to be revealed . . . when Babymouse enters the school science fair! Will her amazing discovery win 1st place? Will it become a successful spin off series? Find out in Babymouse: Mad Scientist! Mad Scientist is the 14th graphic novel in the award-winning series and the Babymouse that begins the amazing adventure...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Random House Children's Books

Elizabeth
The 14th installment of this popular series finds Babymouse up to her usual antics: daydreaming while attempting to conquer her latest interest. This one is the science fair, encouraged by her father she begins to study amoebas. Little does she know they're not as boring as one would think . . .

Filled with humor and sly references to pop culture, Babymouse should be read with care, lest you miss a hilarious aside or picture. This installment also does double duty as an introduction to Squish, wh...more
Susie
I am going to have to be sure to read all of the Babymouse books! Being a former science teacher, there was so much I enjoyed in reading this. I like the way Holm creates humor that appeals to both students and adults. Of course, I cringed when the entire class was growing mold to demonstrate the scientific method (not a bad idea, but I've seen it hundreds of times!), and amoebas are not green. But, other than that, the book is so clever and funny. It's a great example of how graphic novels can...more
Lauren
Baby Mouse Mad Scientist is a great graphic novel to get children who do not like reading regular chapter books actually reading. It is in mostly black and white with pops of color to keep the children focused and to add contrast. This book is good for children who are into science or may have a science fair project coming up soon. This would be a good book to read to the class before a science fair because it can get children thinking about what they want to do. Also, it shows how it can be di...more
Rowlak5
Yippee! A female protagonist adorably tackling a science project wearing her heart adorned lab coat. Favorite part was her meeting Squish the Amoeba (starring in his own series) under the microscope and saying "this is like Horton Hears a Who" as they talk to each other.
Alisha Slone
This book is about a girl named BabyMouse who is always daydreaming about being a Scientist. She gets a new Science teacher who is confident that he and his students will be great scientists someday. But BabyMouse can never seem to focus in class because she is always daydreaming. Her father gives BabyMouse a science fair flyer. Her father dreamed of being a scientist but since that never happened, he hopes that BabyMouse will be the first scientist in their family. BabyMouse can't wait to be in...more
Dolly
Jul 29, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: children starting to read graphic novels
This is the fourteenth book in the Babymouse series by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm. The plot centers on Babymouse's experiences preparing for the school science fair. I liked the fact that the science teacher explains the Scientific Method to the class, and that the story encourages children to be curious and examine the world around them.

As usual, things don't work out very smoothly for Babymouse, but she discovers a new friend. I thought the introduction of Squish the amoeba was enterta...more
Sarah W
Mad Scientist was my first read in the Babymouse series. Babymouse's frequent daydreams were amusing. Her inattention causes problems, including a familial accident. I enjoyed the moments where her dad read to her. As a librarian, I loved her excitement at a wrapped book. I also well understood her frustration at hearing her dad's excitement about the science fair when she wanted to hear the end of the fairy tale he'd been reading.

Having recently read Squish I enjoyed the tie-ins between the two...more
Rebecca
Good. But kind of felt a little bit like a promo for the other series more than just a Babymouse. I didn't really have a problem with that, but it just sat a little weirdly for me.
Tricia
Since we recently read Squish: Super Amoeba, I thought we should go back to the Babymouse book where he first appeared. I think I've flipped through a couple of babymouse books before (my boys have read quite a few), but never really got into them. This one is kind of cute, and you even learn a few factoids about amoeba while reading. One thing that bothered me, though: if Babymouse spends so much time daydreaming about scientific discoveries, why isn't she more interested in actually doing scie...more
Doris
Babymouse once again entertains her fans with graphic novel style antics. In number fourteen, she must come up with an idea for the science fair. Many possibilities exist and we learn much about famous scientists and her new science teacher who loves mold. The teacher does a good job explaining the Scientific Method which will come in handy for many! Babymouse, as always, figures out a way to create havoc all around her. Amoebas turn out to be her best bet with Squish, a cupcake loving amoeba, p...more
Shelli
Warning! After reading this book your children will want to break out the Petri dishes and microscope. Babymouse has to come up with a project for her schools science fair. Young readers will learn all about the Scientific Method right along with Babymouse. Congratulations to Jennifer and Matthew Holm for making science fun. Her ameba, named Squish, looks as though he will have his own graphic novel spin off series. Stranger things have happened then a book series about protozoan life right? The...more
Lady Knight
I was relatively disappointed with this offering. Babymouse is a great way to get reluctant readers into books and while this was still a good read, a lot of the vocabulary was beyond what most kids in the 7-10 range can handle (and I don't just mean the scientific jargon). That said, I really did like the introduction to Squish and the friendship that grew between him and Babymouse.
Heidi
Many of the girls at my school love this series, so I will be adding the books from the series that the library doesn't already have. This book provides a light, fun read. There is a slight plot involving a science fair and the introduction of Squish, the amoeba. I did enjoy Babymouse's daydreaming, it reminded me of my own daydreaming tendencies, past and present. Overall, recommended for those who like the series.
Karly Kovac
I thought this was a really cute book! It demonstrates that if you set your mind to something you can do it! Babymouse's dad really wanted to be a scientist when he was little but it never happened. He was hoping Babymouse would be the first scientist in the family. Babymouse wants to become famous from the science fair and although she enters it and doesn't become famous, she still has a great time!
H Nut
Really good book! I don't really know what I liked about it. I liked Squish. I like Babymouse. My favorite thing about books is that I have read one of the books and so I kind of know a little bit about what is going to happen. Like I can read the title and kind of know what it is about. And I can tell by the picture on the front.

I recommend this book to middle-aged kids.
Robin
Clearly I was remiss in starting the new series by the same author (Squish) without reading the 'origin story' so I am reading it now and thinking about how much I like Babymouse because she is a slightly distracted female character who has trouble paying attention in school, characteristics that are usually attributed to male characters in literature. Babymouse rocks!
Stefanie
While this wasn't my favorite in the series, Holm and Holm can do no wrong in my eyes. This time Babymouse is tackling the science fair, and she meets a new single-celled friend along the way. Say hello to Squish, who literally adds a little color (green) to the Babymouse series. He'll have a series of his own soon, which I'm sure elementary kids will eat up as well.
Mary Boyle
This was my first ever graphic novel. I would like to add some of these titles to my classroom library. I liked the humor in this book and there was actually some good scientific information woven into it. This book is good for engaging young readers in graphic novels, giving children a different type of book to read in addition to beginning chapter books.
Samantha
Poor Babymouse. Her wiskers are always wrinkled, her room is a wreck, and she can't seem to keep from daydreaming when she should be listening. Can she get herself together to have a winning entry in the Science Fair? With her dad's support and a little help from her science teacher, she might just pull it off!
Morgan Leech
I chose the 14th volume of the babymouse novels because it tells the tale of babymouse entering the science fair. I also really like introduction Squish in this volume of the series. Babymouse is already known for growing weird things under her bed, but this volume tells the story of her amazing scientific creation.
Deanna Mcdonough
This was an interesting graphic novel. It taught about the Sceinctic Method, and how to use it. This is the adventure of Babymouse as she tries to be a scienctis. I really didn't enjoy the book. I'm not really into comic books/graphic novels. I get why graphic novels are so popular but there just not my thing.
Donalyn
Ah, Babymouse. I love you. In this installment, Babymouse struggles to come up with a unique experiment for the science fair and befriends an unusual amoeba, Squish, in the process. Squish is the star of his own new graphic novel series by the Holm siblings.
Pinky
Babymouse enters the science fair and introduces a new character to the mix: Squish the amoeba.

Characteristically funny and refreshing with just the right mix of humility, self-discovery and educational references. The science fair was very cute!
Inna (a.k.a Inn-er) Y ♥ :)
These books are great to read just for fun, like someone woud read a magazine or newspaper because honestly, these books only take an hour to read at the most. Regardless, its a cute anf funny book to read about an imaginative little mouse who loves to read.
Colby Sharp
My fist Babymouse read, and I liked it. Didn't love it, but I could see falling more for the series when I read more. I absolutely loved the way the narrator interacted with Babymouse throughout the story. Looking forward to reading more.
Mandy
Summary:
With gentle persuasion from her dad, Babymouse enters a science fair in which she studies amoebas. In the process, she meets Squish, an amoeba with lots of spun and personality like Babbymouse (and a new spin-off series is born)!
Amy Carr
I sat in a delicious bakery this afternoon while the cold rain pounded on the window outside and read this book...Babymouse never fails to make me smile and giggle! Another excellent book in the Babymouse series!
Beth
This is a perfect story to for children to read for amusement. The great thing is that they will also learn about the scientific method and amoebas. It will add even more excitement to science project or fair time.
Kelly
May 19, 2011 Kelly added it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I liked how it added in Squish and a new color near the end of the book. Babymouse has her "typical" plot and is a good read. However, I wouldn't let Babymouse near any of my science equipment!
Kat
I liked the book because Babymouse entered a science fair with a project on amoebas, I had no clue what an amoeba was untill I read this book!!! I really like the grafic novel tipe of books.
MCC Children's Li...: Fun educational novel 1 1 Apr 17, 2012 11:29AM
  • Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit (Lunch Lady, #5)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Fishy Business
  • Gabby and Gator
  • Sidekicks
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • Giants Beware!
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • Around the World
  • Odd Duck
  • Hera: The Goddess and her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • Adventures in Cartooning: How to Turn Your Doodles Into Comics
Jennifer L. Holm is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling children's author and the recipient of three Newbery Honors for her novels OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA, PENNY FROM HEAVEN, and TURTLE IN PARADISE.

Jennifer collaborates with her brother, Matthew Holm, on two graphic novel series -- the Eisner Award-winning Babymouse series and the bestselling Squish series. She is also the author of several other highly pra...more
More about Jennifer L. Holm...
Turtle in Paradise Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1) Penny from Heaven Our Only May Amelia (May Amelia, #1) Super Amoeba (Squish, #1)