Start by marking “Beauty Queens” as Want to Read:
Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  31,197 ratings  ·  4,836 reviews
When a plane crash strands thirteen teen beauty contestants on a mysterious island, they struggle to survive, to get along with one another, to combat the island's other diabolical occupants, and to learn their dance numbers in case they are rescued in time for the competition.Written by Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz Award-winning author of A Great and Ter ...more
Published May 24th 2011 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Beauty Queens, please sign up.

Emma There is, a little bit. It's not really a central theme though, this is more about friendship and surviving in harsh conditions. Give it a try, see…moreThere is, a little bit. It's not really a central theme though, this is more about friendship and surviving in harsh conditions. Give it a try, see what you think :)(less)
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickPassion by Lauren Kate
YA Novels of 2011
52nd out of 1,153 books — 6,894 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettA Dance with Dragons by George R.R. MartinDivergent by Veronica RothCatching Fire by Suzanne Collins
What's the Book You Can't Wait to Read This Summer?
48th out of 4,002 books — 7,377 voters

More lists with this book...

Penny
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix the plots from Drop Dead Gorgeous, Austin Powers, Mean Girls, Lost, and Lord of the Flies. Whip until nice and fluffy. Stir in equal parts Bollywood, Boy Bands, Pirates, An Evil Corporation, Crappy Parenting, Reality TV, Miss Teen USA pageants, and commercials aimed at teens. Next add 4 cups Teenage Sexuality (all types), 2 cups Feminism, 1/2 cup Identity Issues, 1/2 cup Self-Esteem Issues, 16-Teenage Beauty Queens (all types. Just make sure one ...more
karen
BITCHES!! HEY!! BITCHES!! OVER HERE!!

excuse me - i mean young ladies. put down that stephanie meyer book. is that cosmo girl?? yeah, lose that. stop reading the clique and get over here right now.

don't read anything else until you read this book. you can even stop reading this review, i don't care, as long as you read this book. well, the book comes out tomorrow, so you might as well finish reading this review after all.

when caris reviewed this book ages ago, i knew it was going to be a book t
Madeline
Emily May

According to this book and the Teen Dream Beauty contestants, women and particularly girls tend to apologise immediately before or after voicing their opinion. For example: "I'm sorry but I just think..." or "I really don't like such-and-such, sorry but that's just my opinion". So in true girl power spirit I'm going to openly, honestly and without apology declare that I EFFIN' LOVED THIS BOOK! In every single possible way.

This is what every teenage girl should be reading. In fact, scratch that,
Nancy
I was on the fence about this book. A story about teen beauty pageant contestants stranded on a desert island just doesn’t do anything for me. After reading Stephanie’s review, I decided to try the audio version. At first, I thought it was ridiculous, irritating and just plain stupid. It wasn’t long before I was laughing and snorting in public places.

In the beginning, it was a little difficult to get to know the characters. The story is told from different perspectives and it was hard for me to
Whitney Atkinson
This book was definitely very different than what I thought. I thought this was done really, really well and I couldn't dislike it because it just has so many amazing themes. I respect Libba Bray so, so much for writing this. There's so much representation and feminism and I definitely understand why it's an option for the juniors at my school to read as an independent novel. I just wish some of the boys would pick it up, too.
In the end, this was just a little too random and bizarre for me. I l
Amanda
Meh. Just meh. Beauty Queens is not at all what I expected. What I expected was a group of beauty queens crash land on an isolated island and it's not long before the ruthlessness of the pageant morphs into a violent "survival of the fittest" mentality, a la Lord of the Flies. I would have also settled for a dark and biting satire on consumerism and pop culture. Alas, what I got was an increasingly irritating "Girl Power!" message that never quite got off the ground as it never quite rejected ev ...more
Caris
A group of teenage beauty queens board a plane headed for a photo shoot in some tropical destination. En route, something bad happens and the plane crashes. Amid the rubble and bodies, a relatively small group, maybe fifteen or so, survives. Any hope of rescue quickly proves pointless.

Imagine for a moment that everyone on Gilligan’s Island was Ginger, or that the island in Lord of the Flies was populated only by valley girls. At first, it’s strikingly stupid, isn’t it? Instead of focusing on res
Stephanie
Kayso, like, after three books in a row that kinda sorta made me angry, I wanted to, like, read something totally funny and ridiculous. And I was like "Beauty Queens" a book about teen beauty queens on a plain, that like OMG, crashes on a desert island and they have to survive and stuff, wouldn't make me, like, have to think and stuff....none of that politicy stuff either....yuk.

But I was wrong. Yes this is a story about 50 beauty contestants for a pageant called Miss Teen Dream, and how the 12
Stacia (the 2010 club)
"Pirate rock stars? Please, that's like the heroin of television."

Beauty Queens : Proving that it is possible to have too much of a good thing.

2.5 stars. I would actually watch a show with pirate rock stars.

So this is satire. Before you read this book, it is important to know that it is not meant to be taken seriously. If you find yourself hating certain characters, they were probably written that way for a reason. I generally like satire, parodies, or anything using some form of ironic wit to
Raeleen Lemay
That was freaking amazing. There are so many things I want to say about this book, but at the moment I'm so overwhelmed by the whole thing that I can't even think of what to say... I loved it.

Was it just me, or did the epilogue feel like the end credits to an awesome movie? I could picture the entire thing in my head, and it looked fabulous, bitches.

I JUST GOT THIS IN PAPERBACK
 ᴍɪᴄs *that kind of girl*
Sigo pensando, ¿qué hay de malo en mí? Y entonces tuve una epifanía: Tal vez no soy yo la que está equivocada. Tal vez quien lo está sea esta demente nación que cree que no debemos hacer otra cosa que ir de compras, retocar nuestra imagen, y perseguir un ideal inalcanzable de romance o conformarse con algún idiota en vez de descubrirnos a nosotras mismas y vivir la vida al máximo.

Si vas a leer Beauty Queens esperando un libro de supervivencia. Definitivamente este no es tu libro porque la man
Sparrow
Jul 12, 2011 Sparrow rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sparrow by: Caris
In most ways, this book was absolutely written for me. It is LOST + Miss Congeniality + Susan Faludi’s Backlash. Sarah Palin and GW stand-ins make appearances to be generally villainous. It has lovely, lovely girls, lots of action, and some pretty hilarious jokes. Oh, and hilarious jokes in the footnotes. (Because why use endnotes, people? No need to be coy.) There is one about putting dolls on a pedestal that is my favorite joke in the book, if you want to know. The odd thing about the book is ...more
Kira
So the other day I'm trolling YouTube looking for news about the new Sleeping Beauty movie they're making, with Angelina Jolie as Maleficent. I know, right? Win for sure.

Anyway, the Disney tag works its magic, and I spot a link for "banned Disney Nazi cartoon, Dizney ish so Nazi!!!" and...well, you know Kira. I go looking for trouble. I'm Simba with opposable thumbs.

So I head for the video, watch it, and I laugh. Why? Because the fucking idiot who uploaded it, trying to shock everyone, clearly
Catie
This is the book that the other half and I decided to listen to on the combined eighteen hours round trip of driving that we endured last week. I laughed, I giggled, I chortled, I smirked. I listened quietly. I zoned out. I may or may not have fallen asleep for about twenty minutes during track three. I cringed. I looked around desperately for something to pack my ear canals with. I begged for a music break.

We just have to get through it! We can’t stop now! We’re so damn close….”

Why do we ha
Jackie "the Librarian"
Hate reality tv and think the world is going to hell because of how shallow the American culture is? Libba Bray agrees with you. Beauty Queens is an awesome, extremely strong satire sending up:
- reality tv
- beauty pageants
- advertising
- arms dealing
- international diplomacy
- and Gilligan's Island

Beauty contestants crash land on an island, and it's a battle for survival with nothing but beauty products! Yes, it can come across like Libba Bray hitting you over the head with all of this like
Rose
Whoa, where do I start on Libba Bray's "Beauty Queens"? I haven't had a book completely blindside me as far as content goes for quite some time. I'm clearly at a loss for words as I write this review, because 1. I'm trying not to hold my sides from laughing so much at this book, and 2. I don't quite know how to explain "Beauty Queens" appeal when it has so many elements in it that work, but theoretically shouldn't. That might sound odd, but I'll explain it as I go into further detail.

I went into
I loved this book. Seriously. Loved. It is a step away from what I usually read, which is (obviously) romance. But I thoroughly enjoyed this book more than I have space to describe.

It's silly - beauty queens crash land on a deserted island and must SURVIVE. And keep the pageant dream alive! And there's pirates! And secret governemnt acts! And BOMBS and MASCARA.

But beneath that silly is a scathing, sharp and thorough satire of the culture of beauty, young women, sexuality, gender, group think, l
Eh?Eh!
The world is nearly like our own, but a vague conglomorate takes the place of the many corporations. A plane full of teen beauty contestants crash on an island. The surviving teens figure out how to survive and thrive, uncovering a deeper plot.

This was such a fun book, with a cheerful gory humor that reminds me of Christopher Moore. I recognized some gags from the movie Miss Congeniality.

I most admired the ground this one book covered. It addresses everything! Self-image, self-esteem, peer press
Hunger For Knowledge
I was more than skeptical when I first laid my eyes on Libba Bray's Beauty Queens. Sure, the cover of the book was very nice but did I want to spend my time reading about brainless beauty queens, stuck on an island after a plane crash? Apparently, I did.

There is two ways (pointedly said) to deal with important, and often serious subjects. First is to do it factual, very dry way and the second is to do it through humor, satire and parody. Bray uses the latter approach, and does it quite well.

I am
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

This program is brought to you by The Corporation: Because Your Life Can Always Be Better.

You probably know The Corporation for its awesome products

and barrier breaking television programs like “Girls Gone Rumspringa”

but this special episode brings us back to The Corporation’s roots - The Miss Team Dream Beauty Pageant!!!!

No one ever expected a plane full of Teen Dream beauty contestants would crash (don’t worry, most of th
Thomas
I wish I had enough money to buy every girl attending my high school a copy of Beauty Queens. Actually, I wish I had enough money to buy every girl from the age of 15 to 21 a copy of this book. I bow down to Libba Bray for pulling off such a crazy concept - a plane of beauty pageant contestants crash on an island - when it could have gone horribly wrong in the hands of a less competent author.

On the outside, Beauty Queens is about an ensemble of shallow, teenaged girls surviving on an island. Bu
Lina
I love Libba Bray. I enjoyed the entire Gemma Doyle Trilogy and I enjoyed Going Bovine, which showed a completely different style of her writing. So, I was excited to hear about Beauty Queens and thought it would be an excellent addition to Bray's bibliography.

~Sigh~

This is not a good book. I enjoyed parts of it, I laughed and when it was good-it was great, but this is not a good book. It is poorly constructed, the characterization is weak, the footnotes and made up "mythology" is grading and th
Violante
Apr 24, 2015 Violante rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: A todas las mujeres
Recommended to Violante by: ᴍɪᴄs *ᴀᴍᴀɴᴛᴇ ᴅᴇ ʟᴏs sᴘᴏɪʟᴇʀs*
Parte del reto, Be feminist.
Estoy cansada de leer tantas cosas denigrantes y espantosas, así que me propongo leer más libros y autoras feministas (si no saben qué es el feminismo o quieren informarse más, pueden chusmear por acá). O en su defecto, libros sin girl-hate, slut-shaming... ya me entienden. No duden en recomendar.

***

Reading challenge 2015: #41 Libro de un autor nunca leído.

Es un libro totalmente bizarro e irónico, las cosas que pasan son re locas y no tienen ningún sentido. Pero no
Yonaily
«Maybe girls need an island to find themselves. Maybe they need a place where no one's is watching them so they can be who they really are .»

Primero que todo, tengo que agradecerle a Mics por esta magnífica recomendación. No habría conocido este increíble libro si no fuera por ella. Beauty Queens va directo hacia mi lista de favoritos. Este libro es una crítica hacia la sociedad, a los estereotipos, a las personas que piensan que las mujeres sólo sirven para dar a luz, que nuestro único propós
Hailey LeBlanc
4.5*

“I love you for who you are, not who the world thinks you should be.”

This book is definitely one that you're either going to love or you're going to hate. I can see why people wouldn't like it but fortunately for me, I really really enjoyed this!! It wasn't what I expected but that was definitely a good thing!
PS. I listened to this on audiobook and I definitely recommend you do the same. The audiobook is narrated by Libba Bray herself and it is just fabulous. It really makes this book 'rea
Aly∞

Disclaimer: This review can also be found on our blog The Beautiful World of Books

There's only a few things I love with the passion of a thousand burning suns:

- Chocolate
- Books
- American Horror Story
- Cats

However there is only one person I love with the passion of a thousand burning suns:

- Libba Bray

She's fantastic. Her writing is witty, crazy and over the top sometimes. She can spew stories like word vomit and everything she touches turns to gold. I am a huge fan and always will be until the e
Punica
Beauty Queens was a (slightly) fun book to read. But it was also very, VERY frustrating!
At times I just wanted to scream: "Miss Teen Dreamers, CALM YO TITS!" Geeeeez! Definitely WAY too much estrogen in the air & poor me who forgot to bring an oxygen mask along got choked up in the process.

THE GOOD:

1. The book's hilarious! The "footnotes" were an absolute delight to read.
2. Tons of pop culture reference.
3. MoMo. Yes, I know he's the villain, the bad guy. And I hate him BUT he was just s
Kassidy
This is a very weird book.. haha
It took some getting used to, with the writing style and all. It is definitely heavy on the satire, which was funny at points, but I guess it's not really my type of humor. I didn't enjoy this book at first, but after the half-way point, I started to like the characters more. I did like the last half of the book and the ending. I like the messages and themes that it presented as well. There is also a lot of commentary on consumerism, feminism, sexuality, and media
Priscilla
Seriously hilarious, and fun! Libba Bray creates an experience, saturating it with satire, and pop culture references.

Initial thoughts:
1) Seriously. An experience. It's like Libba wrote her story, and 'The Corporation' hacked into her computer, and created footnotes full of product placement and sponsors. Very different, and fun.
2) Likable and identifiable characters. I really liked all of them :D The different personalities clashing, and finally some understanding between them.
3) Hilarious dial
Young Adult Book ...: The Ending (SPOILERS) 5 35 Aug 30, 2014 09:33PM
Young Adult Book ...: Satire & Parody 6 50 Aug 29, 2014 07:05PM
  • Strings Attached
  • Rotters
  • Carter Finally Gets It (Carter Finally Gets It, #1)
  • Pink
  • Sister Mischief
  • Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer, #1)
  • Dramarama
  • Shine
  • Falling for Hamlet
  • The Book of Blood and Shadow
  • My Life Undecided
  • Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (Bloody Jack, #2)
  • A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend
  • The Mockingbirds (The Mockingbirds, #1)
  • Roomies
  • Spoiled (Spoiled, #1)
  • Dreamland Social Club
  • Putting Makeup on Dead People
What is it about writing an author bio that gives me that deer-in-headlights feeling? It's not exactly like I'm going to say "I was born in Alabama…" and somebody's going to jump up and snarl, "Oh yeah? Prove it!" At least I hope not.

I think what gets me feeling itchy is all that emphasis on the facts of a life, while all the juicy, relevant, human oddity stuff gets left on the cutting room floor.
More about Libba Bray...
A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2) The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3) The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) Going Bovine

“Why do girls always feel like they have to apologize for giving an opinion or taking up space in the world? Have you ever noticed that?" Nicole asked. "You go on websites and some girl leaves a post and if it's longer than three sentences or she's expressing her thoughts about some topic, she usually ends with, 'Sorry for the rant' or 'That may be dumb, but that's what I think.” 307 likes
“Really, being a librarian is a much more dangerous job than you realize.” 185 likes