Start by marking “Behind the Mask” as Want to Read:
Behind the Mask

Behind the Mask (The Masked)

Kasumi is an elite warrior, trained in skills that very little of the world even knows exists. The price for his skills is high, and they are not sold lightly. Given into the service of a famous scholar, Kasumi travels the world at his side, a secretive, deadly shadow, his only defining trait a mask that no one can remember in detail the very moment they have looked away.. ...more
Published October 5th 2010 by Less Than Three Press (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Mask, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Mask

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I must say, the only thing I didn’t like about this story was the fact it was too short and we didn’t learn of what happened to the masks after Kasumi got them. Also, I would have liked to read more about how Kasumi and Isaac settle in together. As usual, there’s no smexing, just some kisses, which I liked because this story could have easily been ruined if there was too much sex, imo.

I love when authors create circumstances where the main characters hate each other in the beginning but slowly g
Deeze
Dec 08, 2014 Deeze rated it really liked it
3.5

Megan Derr rarely disappoints me, this was no exception.

A gripping swashbuckling read for pirate lovers with an element of magic thrown in.

The ending was swoon worthy and my favorite part. Kasumi and the pirate were a perfect match.

My only complaint is the length, to short lol.
Michael
3.75 Stars rounded up
L-D
Kasumi is one of the Clan, skilled fighters and bodyguards that are contracted out to protect people. Kasumi and his Master, Minoru, are traveling to meet a renowned scholar, Luther Hatcher-Rosque, but nothing is as it seems and Kasumi must fall back on his years of expertise as a fighter to set things to rights.

I thought the world that Megan Derr built in this story was very interesting. The concept of Clan members who are trained to protect and are contracted out is a new one. The fact that on
Sonia189
Jun 29, 2016 Sonia189 rated it really liked it
Great short story, filled with interesting things and an enjoyable development, no sex but incredibly sexy! I'll look forward to read more by the author!
Abra
Apr 01, 2014 Abra rated it really liked it
Oh, this book was fun!

Megan Derr is an interesting author for me. She's not the most technically skilled, not the most talented, and always needs better editing... however every single one of her books is pleasant and enjoyable and leaves a smile. She's got an odd magic when it comes to that.

I also love that she creates a tense, poignant romance without any smut. I like well placed smut as much as the next girl but there's an abundance of poorly written smut in the m/m genre and it's refreshing
Daesy
Oct 08, 2013 Daesy rated it liked it
Sienna Sway
Dec 01, 2013 Sienna Sway rated it liked it
I actually really loved this story, the characters and their world. The romance was slow but there from the start. I had to take two stars off though due to the structure. I felt literally jipped at times by the scenes that were cut from the story. They were mostly action scenes and so I suppose unnecessary for a short romance but I still would have loved to read them.

That said, I still really enjoyed it.
Minamigawa
Mar 14, 2016 Minamigawa rated it it was ok
I was disappointed. I liked the world, but I couldn't get on board with the relationship at all. Through the whole thing, I just wanted to kill the pirate- especially at the end. Not personal- as if.
Jage
I feel like those three weeks they spent searching out information we should've seen some of it because cute as the story is, I wasn't really feeling their relationship.

It's not a bad read and I give it a 2.5/3 but something was missing. I like the authorial voice but this just didn't click.
Chrystalla
Jan 08, 2012 Chrystalla rated it really liked it
Very nice story, great characters, consistent to the end. Really liked this one, must check out more books by this author.
Kati
Dec 18, 2011 Kati rated it really liked it
I liked the banter between Kasumi and Luther/Isaac, the way Kasumi was hissing like a cat all the time while Luther was so laid back and amused by Kasumi's attitude. Very funny.
Tamara (M'rella)
I failed to see where and when main characters (Kasumi and Luther) clicked. Otherwise quite enjoyable and entertaining story. 3.5 stars.
Jenny Q
Oct 02, 2011 Jenny Q rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: gay fans
Shelves: m-m
this took much longer to read the few pages there were than i expected, but i actually liked my slow reading flaw, in this case, for the first time ever.
Laura M
Another excellent book by Megan Derr. I love this world and would like to more of it and Kasumi and Isaac.
Pépin Pomme
May 07, 2016 Pépin Pomme rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-with-magic
It was simple, but really great! The main character is a little angry sarcastic shit and I love him. His friend is very fun too and the legend around the main character's clan was very intriguing.
Usagi Tsukino
Oct 02, 2011 Usagi Tsukino rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, short-story
4,5 stars actually.
I really loved this story and both Kasumi and Isaac. But, why all Megan Derr's amazing stories are so short?!! T^T
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Lucy
Lucy rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
Saskie-
Saskie- rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2011
Tierra
Tierra rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2011
JC
JC rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Tessa
Tessa rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2013
Josephine
Josephine rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2017
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Angel Cally
Angel Cally rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2011
Mirella
Mirella rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Susan Hoffman
Susan Hoffman rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
  • Arson of the Heart
  • Azure Seas & Dragon Isles
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • Illusion of Night (Illusion of Night, #1)
  • Dragon Slayer (The Empty Crown #1)
  • Cethe
  • Goblins, Book One
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • Friction (Dominion, #0.1)
  • Gatekeeper
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com