Start by marking “The Claim (Boston Jane Series #3)” as Want to Read:
The Claim (Boston Jane Series #3)

The Claim (Boston Jane #3)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,098 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Fans of "Boston Jane: An Adventure" and "Boston Jane: Wilderness Days" will revel in the rip-roaring adventure, romance, and humor of this spectacularly spirited and satisfyingconclusion to "New York Times" bestselling and two-time Newbery Honor-winning author Jennifer L. Holm's acclaimed historical fiction trilogy.
Seventeen-year-old Jane Peck isthe darling of Washington
Published September 28th 2010 by Random House Children's Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Claim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Claim

Clara Chen
Jane Peck has lived on her own in Shoalwater Bay, a place where whites and Chinooks live together in 1850s Washington Territory. Jane has come to love Shoalwater Bay and she has made many friends. She works as the concierge at the hotel and her pies are the best on the Bay. She is good at her job and the people appreciate what she does for them.

Jane grew up in Philadelphia and she originally came to Shoalwater Bay to get married to William Baldt. When she arrived, she found that he had already
Ginger ♥
Jul 23, 2008 Ginger ♥ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people of all ages
I read this book as a youngin' and I still read it now every so often. It never gets old. The emotions are always there and they adventure are always there! This is a book you should really get into!
ariana
One of the best

There was nothing I would change about this book. it's amazing. I actually finished all 3 books in 3 days. I stayed up til 3 am fine finishing the book, I didn't even realize it was 3 am. This book series is very inspiring, and since we were doing a unit at school about Washington territory and claiming land at school it was good to have another insight, I rather enjoyed reading about history from the perspective of someone who was living through it. It had plenty of conflict thro
Mary
3 1/2 stars. The third and final installment of the Boston Jane series tackles darker and more serious topics than the first two books. Overall, it was probably my least favorite in the series, possibly because it lost some of the humor and light-heartedness of the first two books; but I still breezed through it in a couple of hours, not wanting to put it down until I reached the end. Upon reaching the end, I was disappointed that the author had not continued the story of Jane and all of her mem ...more
Renae
OK, my review of the entire series is right here, so it's got to be 3x as long and 3x as awesome! I LOVED this series so much. Even though I've always enjoyed reading as a hobby, I never thought I would just READ through my entire Saturday! THAT'S HOW GOOD THIS BOOK IS! I literally finished the first book, read the second book cover to cover,and got a fair way through the third book before realizing it was midnight. Oh well. I was seriously disappointed that I couldn't keep reading.
The actual
Heather
I think I liked this book the best out of the series so I'll give it a 3.5 stars, but round up. It grabbed my attention and my emotions and didn't let go until the end. It wasn't the love story that had me flipping pages, but the "Nellie Olsen" character that made me just want to reach into the pages and rip her hair out. The love story was a little flat, in my opinion...just insignificant and unreal to me. And I really wasn't a huge fan of the ending. Don't want to spoil anything, but I just di ...more
Erin Curtis
Drugs: Alcohol references
Language: No
Violence: No
Sex: No

I have a few issues with this book. 1. Why in the world would an enemy travel across the US to make you miserable? 2. The whole anti-Jane sentiment is pretty catty, even for a YA novel. 3. What happened to independent Jane? A truly strong woman is able to coexist with difficult people without burning every bridge around her. Why?? BECAUSE SHE IS A CONFIDENT, INDEPENDENT WOMAN!! Come on Jane... :)
Danielle
Boston Jane: The Claim is the third book in the series about Jane Peck. As a young women Jane moved from Boston to the mouth of the Columbia River in Washington State. She is sassy and lives life her own way. Being the only eligible lady in the area she has a long line of suitors after her. That is until her old enemy from school shows up and tries to steal all that Jane love, including Jehu, her one true love.

In this story Jane lives alongside the Chinook Tribe. Jane observes many events that
Wendy
Phew, a bit too many characters in this finale of the Boston Jane books! They were easy to keep straight, but I like the struggles in the first three books better than in this book. The mean girls are back and the fights are sometimes petty and unbelievable. I still love the main character though. I hope she keeps her independence.
Sierra
The other two books in this series I absolutely loved and they are both among my favorite books. However, I didn't like this one as much as the other two. The topic seems to change completely from the other two books. The last part of the third to last chapter and the last two chapters were the best part of the book.
A satisfying conclusion to the Boston Jane trilogy (or is it? Maybe there's more to come.). Still don't like the summaries of details from preceding books, but the action moves along nicely, the conflicts in the story are believable, and the ending is nice without being too tidy. Fun series, quick reads.
Bonnie Gayle
Jane is shocked when the girl who made her life a living misery from back home, Sally Biddle, shows up in the Washington territory which Jane now considers her home.

But Sally's stealing of Jane's friends becomes a lesser concern when Jane's old fiance shows up as well, and starts causing trouble, since he discovers that Jehu is building a cabin for Jane to live in on her own, which is slightly illegal.

This was my least favorite of the 3 books. Every chapter, Sally does something nasty to Jane,
Jamie
I liked the role reversal. In Wilderness Days, Jane wouldn't believe the people around her who knew better and kept trying to warn her and give her advice. But in The Claim, Jane actually knows better than the people who won't believe her. It made me sad and frustrated, to see her so helpless and with so few options, but I love that she stayed strong and spunky.

I feel like she was more mature in this book, which I love. It makes sense to me that she would have done a lot of growing up in the las
Brittany
This wasn't my favorite. The story arc of new person makes everyone hate someone they should have been loyal to has never been one I enjoyed. Additionally, I felt like the resolutions were pretty rushed and flimsy given that it appears this is the last book. :(
Sienna
A nice solid end to the Boston Jane trilogy. It's kind of funny how the end says "the end...for now", or something like that, as if the author wasn't sure if she was going to write more or not. I took quite a while to read it when I probably could've gone cover to cover in a day if I'd had the time. Maybe that's why I sometimes felt like all the issues standing in the way of a good ending were dragging on and on. William Baldt just irks me, so bad! The impertinence of that man just made me want ...more
Renae
After a year in Washington Territory, Jane Peck finally feels like she's found a home. But then her schoolgirl enemy, Sally Biddle, shows up and drama happens. Dun dun dun.

This was never my favorite of the series because it introduced an element of Mean Girl drama that I could have done without. Also it was just always sad to read because you know that the idyllic life of the first two books is coming to the end, that the Natives are going to be put on reservations and greedy white men are going
Rachel M.
Again, this third installment in the series is not as good as the first. Really, this book serves no purpose in the series whatsoever. The only way in which it furthers the plot is that Jane obtains some land, and Jehu builds two log cabins, one for Jane and one for him. This doesn't make sense considering the fact that everyone knows he's going to marry her. Why not just build a spectacular log cabin for both of them and then present it to her at the end of the novel as he proposes to her? Also ...more
Libby Ames
I really enjoyed books one and two of this trilogy, but I'm afraid it went on one book too long. Boston Jane is an endearing character because of her insecurities and struggles, however, it seems to take a LOT of affirming experiences to help her get over them.

My biggest complaint about The Claim is Sally Biddle. What young woman is vindictive enough to travel around the entire continent in order to make her childhood enemy miserable? I just can't buy it. No one is that vengeful. The story was a
KJ, Madame Librarian
Ugh. I was disappointed. The 'villains' of the piece were so...flat. I was expecting them to start twirling their mustaches at any moment. A series that should have gotten better went downhill instead.
Kathleen Kirby Vallejo
Okay, I definitely read these. In this one, I knew what would happen before it did, but I still enjoyed reading them. Great historical fiction for tween girls (Amya, I promise you would enjoy these books). I keep trying to type this sentence, but can't figure out how to say what I'm trying to say. I want to say that Jane became such a strong character, but then there were times that she didn't stand up for herself and I just wanted to yell at her to stop letting people push her around. But for t ...more
Ellen
The final book in the Boston Jane Trilogy and an amazing read. The little community from the first 2 books has grown into a busy little town. But whats new about this book is that Jane's rival from her old home has just arrived and serves to make Jane's life miserable.
Jane has grown a lot in her series, she has a plot of land all her own. She has a job, and she is a fully capable woman. She is triuphant against both her rival and William (who is just as bad in this book as he is in the other tw
Mckenzie
you get more upset at the enemy than she does sometimes.
Krissy Stoeger
excellent - I would read again and again
Tami
Great for young readers.
Madi
Easily my favorite book of this trilogy. I really enjoyed the way everything ended, and though it was very easy to see what would happen next, I really liked it that way. It was a fun and easy read.
Dianne
Satisfactory ending to the series. Lovely story!
A great ending to a great series! This last book kept a faster pace because of villainous characters creating nearly hopeless situations, but our heroine and her newly discovered inner strength doesn't disappoint. Although more fictional than historical, this series does educate a bit about the Pacific Northwest and its early settlers. I didn't realize that their version of the gold rush wasn't lumber but oysters!
Michelle
Jan 15, 2010 Michelle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: U13
Shelves: u13, owned
All I can remember is that I was disappointed in the novel. I mean, it had the same old Jane; useful, strong-willed, fiery and red-headed. But it just was not what I was looking for in the final entry in the series. Sure, the story line was okay, but again, not the right tone for an ending.

Make of that what you will.

Still a good series, but just a slightly disappointing end for me.
Lisa
A nice conclusion. I was a bit troubled that the lie at the end which saved her claim really couldn't hold up under scrutiny (and I've written to the author for an explanation, but no answer!), but it did shut up the bad guy. :) I was VERY happy that Jehu never faltered in his love for Jane and kept playing the proposal over and over in my head. It was nice. :) I did like it.
Um why does it just end??? 2 6 Feb 02, 2014 05:47AM
  • A Stolen Life
  • Maude March on the Run! (Maude March Misadventures #2)
  • Behind the Masks: The Diary of Angeline Reddy, Bodie, California, 1880 (Dear America)
  • North by Night: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • Time Enough for Drums
  • Maggie's Door (Nory Ryan)
  • Cannons at Dawn: The Second Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1779 (Dear America)
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • At the Sign of the Star
  • The Distant Beacon (Song of Acadia, #4)
  • The Fences Between Us: The Diary of Piper Davis, Seattle, Washington, 1941 (Dear America)
  • Like the Willow Tree: The Diary of Lydia Amelia Pierce, Portland, Maine, 1918
  • Down the Rabbit Hole, Chicago, Illinois, 1871: The Diary of Pringle Rose (Dear America)
  • Once On This Island (Mackinac Island Trilogy, #1)
  • The Voyage of Patience Goodspeed
  • The Ballad of Lucy Whipple
  • The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder (Dear America)
Jennifer L. Holm is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling children's author and the recipient of three Newbery Honors for her novels OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA, PENNY FROM HEAVEN, and TURTLE IN PARADISE.

Jennifer collaborates with her brother, Matthew Holm, on two graphic novel series -- the Eisner Award-winning Babymouse series and the bestselling Squish series. She is also the author of several other highly pra
More about Jennifer L. Holm...

Boston Jane (3 books)
  • Boston Jane: An Adventure (Boston Jane, #1)
  • Wilderness Days (Boston Jane, #2)
Turtle in Paradise Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1) Penny from Heaven Our Only May Amelia (May Amelia, #1) The Fourteenth Goldfish

“This, I thought, was true love. Someone who made you happy without saying a word.” 12 likes
“Keer-ukso looked up at the sky in mock irritation. "No, do not ask me, best friend and busiess partner, if I want coffee?” 0 likes