Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012

The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012

The final countdown?On December 21, 2012, the Mayan calendar will complete its thirteenth cycle. According to the Mayan belief system, the world will end. And if you don't believe the Mayans, you can check in with The Bible Code, The Nostradamus Code, or The Orion Prophecy, all of which predict planet-wide doom. Then again, maybe the year 2012 is just a new opportunity. Co ...more
Published October 7th 2008 by Alpha Books

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012

Liz
I'm reading this for an IRL book club. The book was chosen before I joined. Please don't judge me.
Michael
Oct 23, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bottom line up front: Very informative book that covers many more topics and facets than expected. The 2012 point - it's not "the end of the world", rather, it's the time period when one "cycle" ends and another cycle begins. Highly recommended if you are interested at all in the Mayan calendar system, astrological cycles, earth events, ancient American history, or philosophy about "earth periods" and 2012.

More details: I found this book while perusing a local Borders out-of-business sale. Got t
Owen Spencer
Aug 11, 2010 Owen Spencer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before reading this book I knew very little about prophecies associated with the year 2012. I just wanted to find out "what the fuss is all about". I certainly didn't expect that by reading this book I would become a believer. But, surprisingly, that's what happened. The amazing thing about the 2012 prophecies is that much of what was predicted has been (and is being) supported by modern science and mathematics. Much of 2012 prophecy is credible, even to critical thinkers and skeptics. I gained ...more
Heidi
Mar 24, 2009 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I didn't read the entire book. More skimmed or perused it. Could be some catalysmic changes happening that year, or not according to the Mayans and other various prophesies, but they thought the same about the year 1000, the year 1666, and recently with Y2K. I learned that Edgar Caycee predicted that California should have fallen into the ocean before the year 2000. I remember recently thinking that to myself- that Calfornia might someday be in the ocean and I wanted to see as much of it as ...more
Akshay
Joanne
Oct 30, 2010 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wred Fright
Mar 19, 2009 Wred Fright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mainly bought this to mine for stupidity for my new novel Blog Love Omega Glee (currently being serialized on wredfright.blogspot.com), which is set in 2012, but the Andrewses (that is the plural of Andrews, right?) despite being quite new agey, are also quite openminded and forthright that 2012 might not mean anything at all, much less the end of the world, so I ended up liking them and their book. Or, perhaps I just enjoy Complete Idiot's Guides in general because I am a Complete Idiot . . .
Michelle Kurzweil
Very informative and unbiased in any particular direction about the possible 'end of the world'. This book just laid out all of the history surrounding the Mayan beliefs for 2012 and other scientific and historic views on this topic, including astronomy, the earth, culture, etc. Also gave some great advice for survival kits and such. Loved this book and wish that everyone could read it. And, no, I do not think the world will end in Dec. 2012.. (well, I hope not)
Janelle
Mar 18, 2010 Janelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Janelle by: mizjanl@yahoo.com
This is a good overview of the whole 2012 "potential" from a fairly unbiased couple of authors. They discuss a lot of different angles and point out what pieces are theory (most of it) and what pieces are fact. It's an interesting read, and I was glad to be reading it on my Kindle so that I could look up some of the words easily :-) All in all, it confirmed what I figured... Be aware, be prepared, but think positively. It may actually make a difference.
Brian Saul
This was on the "NEW BOOKS" shelf. Made for interesting, if off-beat thought. Great if you're into gloom and doom. Many theories and hypotheses are presented,but lots of focus on the Mayan Long Calendar which, they feel, signals the end of our time in 2012. That's all the farther the Mayan long calendar goes. Of course, the calendar that I have hanging on the wall (from my parish church) ends on December 31, 2009. Take it from there...
Luke
Apr 21, 2012 Luke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very, very intriguing and enlightening. This book is not a bunch of exaggerations and doomsday predictions that shouldn't be taken too seriously; it's informational, factual, and incredibly fascinating.

Of course, it is slightly biased; it's evident the authors really buy into this stuff. However, the bias isn't overwhelming, and they do their best to use information to back up their claims, so I didn't pay it much mind.
Dec 13, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I must be a step beyond 'idiot' because I had a hard time following most of this book.

I did find a few new things to be concerned about, like photon belts, some dreadful disease that makes unnatural fibers come out from under your skin and a random humming underneath some city in England.

Beyond that, eh. I'm stocking up on duct tape, peanut butter and water filters. I can survive a long time with that stuff!
Ashley
Mar 02, 2016 Ashley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
#
NC
Own in paperback.

FS: "To fully appreciate the significance of 2012 and the Mayan calendar, you may want to know more about Mayan history and culture."

LS: "We're approaching a paradigm shift that will expand our awareness of how we fit into the larger universe."
Joe Rapisarda
Nov 25, 2011 Joe Rapisarda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good and very thorough. I really enjoyed the information presented. The only tone of the book was a little more dire than I choose to believe will happen but I respect the authors point of view.
Kris Brady
Will a lot of crap happen in 2012? Probably. Does it match the Mayan calendar? Maybe. Is all of the crap self-inflicted by the stupidity of the human race? Most definitely.
Ron
Interesting...comprehensive...a good place to start if wanting to introduce oneself to a broad spectrum of topics related to the possible Mayan approach to time/space.
Andy Kurzweil
Mar 01, 2013 Andy Kurzweil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pagans.
Shelves: psi
I found this book interesting, readable and unbiased, giving a variety of views. I thought some of the astronomical science was inaccurate or poorly explained.
Sharon Hallman
Mar 12, 2011 Sharon Hallman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascination. Very easy to read and understand. Great way to learn complicated subjects. Scary above the predictions of the Mayan Indians.
Joel
Nov 12, 2008 Joel is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
In preparation for Doomsday...
Sue
currently reading
Kingchiboss
Kingchiboss marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Matthew H Humphries
Matthew H Humphries rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2016
Lana
Lana added it
Jul 23, 2016
Tuấn Trần
Tuấn Trần rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Ashley Wong
Ashley Wong marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Sonya Rose
Sonya Rose rated it did not like it
May 08, 2016
  • The 2012 Story: The Myths, Fallacies, and Truth Behind the Most Intriguing Date in History
  • Pseudoscience and the Paranormal
  • Finding Atlantis: A True Story of Genius, Madness, and an Extraordinary Quest for a Lost World
  • The Ghost at the Drive-In Movie (The Boxcar Children, #116)
  • The History of Atlantis
  • The Utterly, Completely, And Totally Useless Fact-o-pedia
  • Vampire Forensics: Uncovering the Origins of an Enduring Legend
  • Pagan Christmas: The Plants, Spirits, and Rituals at the Origins of Yuletide
  • Real-Life X-Files: Investigating the Paranormal
  • Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment
  • Deciphering the Cosmic Number: The Strange Friendship of Wolfgang Pauli and Carl Jung
  • Druids: A Very Short Introduction
  • Majic Man (Nathan Heller, #11)
  • Haunted Houses
  • Cicada Summer
  • Witchcraft: A Very Short Introduction
  • An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)