Start by marking “The Very Itchy Bear” as Want to Read:
The Very Itchy Bear

The Very Itchy Bear

Companion to The Very Cranky Bear

Bear is here . . and here is Flea (but Flea's a little small to see). This is Flea about to bite, but not because he's impolite. He's biting bear to say, Hello!', biting high and biting low. In The Very Cranky Bear, Bear's cave was invaded by four playful animals. In The Very Itchy Bear there is just one creature bothering him: a persistent

To ask other readers questions about The Very Itchy Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Itchy Bear

Sarah (saz101)
Apr 30, 2015 Sarah (saz101) rated it really liked it
An epic tale of friendship, forgiveness, and sea travel, The Very Itchy Bear reveals messages that will resonate in the minds and hearts of its readers. A profoundly moving story chronicling the complicated mechanics of inter-species relationships, and the struggles they must face in the journey for acceptance... of each other.
Margaret Welwood
Aug 30, 2014 Margaret Welwood rated it it was amazing
So how does a flea say, “Hello! I want to be your friend”? The same way he says everything else, of course. (Ouch!)

Bear is understandably irritated with Flea and flicks him away, but then finds he’s lonely without him. The gentle, musical, rhyming text not only supports the emergent reader, it is perfectly suited to this Happily Ever After story of two unlikely comrades. And I can’t help but wonder—is Bland perhaps encouraging us to give those irritating people in our lives a little understandin
May 23, 2013 Cruth rated it really liked it
Author/Illustrator: Nick Bland
First Published: 2010

We like Nick Bland. The acrylic paint on paper illustrations appeal, the rhythmic narrative makes us laugh.

They're hard to fault.

But as the 4th Bland book I have reviewed recently, this one is not my favourite.

Exploring friendship and caring for one another, Bear and Flea have a little adventure on their way to a HEA. I love how Bland encourages literacy by having Bear spending his time reading. I love the colour and vibrancy of the images, the
Alyce Quinlan
Jun 26, 2016 Alyce Quinlan rated it it was amazing
My daughter used to choose Itchy Bear almost every bedtime for at least a month. She received the book at a gift for her first birthday. We have been reading it to her for quite sometime. At 2.5 years she easily reads pages of this book from memory. This story is shows friendship and bravery. It gets a few giggles from my toddler too.
Steven R. McEvoy
May 01, 2012 Steven R. McEvoy rated it it was amazing
Nick Bland's books have been favorites in our home for a few years now, from the fun and funny A Monster Wrote Me a Letter to the hilarious The Wrong Book, and the very charming I Lost My Kisses. But our first introduction to Bland's work was the wonderful, The Very Cranky Bear. So when a new book came out called The Very Itchy Bear we had to have it and read it. My son loved it the first time I read it to him. He had to hear it about a dozen times in a row, then he went and found The Very Crank ...more
Ana Calabresi
Another one in the series. Funny story about the flea and the bear. I like the rhymes. And the relationship they develop at the end. Just not sure how a bear would befriend a flea though. :)
Apr 15, 2012 Tami rated it it was amazing
We’ve met Bear before. In The Very Cranky Bear, Bear was tired and needed a nap but others kept bothering him. Fortunately, Sheep knew just what to do. I’m pretty sure that Bear and Sheep became friends after that.

In The Very Itchy Bear, Bear meets Flea. Flea wants very much to be Bear’s friend but he just ends up bugging Bear and making him quite itchy. How can these become friends?

The Very Cranky Bear is solidly at the very top of our favourites list. When we go to the zoo, we are always extr
Alina Lu
Sep 16, 2016 Alina Lu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because i think this book rhymes
Jan 30, 2015 Nat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My children and I adore the Cranky Bear books!
Karine Mon coin lecture
Apr 20, 2014 Karine Mon coin lecture rated it liked it
Shelves: albums
Saashya Rodrigo
Jun 15, 2012 Saashya Rodrigo rated it really liked it
This book has very few words, which provides the perfect opportunity for teachers to ask questions about the illustrations and story line, and for the students to talk more about the pictures. It also is a good way for students to understand the value of being a friend to one another and how good things happen to good people :) I can see myself going up to a student who's had a bad day with a peer and handing them this book.
Kally Ansell
Oct 13, 2015 Kally Ansell rated it really liked it
My son loves this series...
Jan 05, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-kids-books
Ohh Nick Bland...Please keep them coming,H loves these books and we both know them off by heart, and I have a small adult crush on them as well, the wording is great, funny, flows beautifully just like all the other bear books he has written, I think all kids bookshelves should have a copy of each.
Gary Masskin
As always, Nick Bland's illustrations are brilliant. The deceptively simple plot actually packs quite a punch, with two character development arcs and covering a couple of topics - even reinforcing the principle from the original book in the series - all delivered in verse.
Jasmine Berry
Sep 03, 2013 Jasmine Berry rated it it was amazing
My children adore this book. The combination of a cheeky flea and a big, lumbering bear has my three year old giggling from the beginning. Lovely illustrations and easy to read rhymes make this a firm favourite.
To hear a reading of this book visit
I was hoping this would do better as I bought a copy for my son, but we listened to it at the library today and he was not vaguely intereted. Others in the class were and the pictures are great. Will try reading it to him in a different setting and see how it goes.
Dee Rose
Dec 19, 2013 Dee Rose rated it it was amazing
My 3 year old daughter LOVES this book so much that she has memorized it and impresses everyone she can by being able to 'read' now. This book also has an app from itunes that is just as good.
Feb 28, 2013 Bec rated it really liked it
Another great book from Nick Bland - read this so some of the kids at school (i work in a high school library - but they really wanted me to read it!)
Aug 18, 2013 Celticoracle rated it really liked it
Shelves: mini-me
The illustrations in this book are fantastic - love the bear doing the "itchy dance." I still like the Very Hungry Bear better though. :)
Jun 23, 2013 Elodie rated it liked it
This is such a cute book and beautiful drawings. Love it. Will send it to my son's daycare so they can read it in class.
Akanksha Gogi
Mar 04, 2011 Akanksha Gogi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Little Kids
Recommended to Akanksha by: Scholastic Book Fair
Really nice how the author still managed to show the flea, but not a blank space and say there's a flea.
Sandra Mackintosh
Feb 18, 2012 Sandra Mackintosh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: junior
Poor bear has a flea that keeps bitting him.
Flea is just trying to say hello.
prep - 2
Aug 19, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it
It's the illustrations that make this book awesome!
Sep 16, 2013 Danielle rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-fiction
I like the cranky bear even more
Feb 17, 2013 Gervy rated it liked it
Quite cute.
Sheree rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2016
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2016
  • The Magic Rabbit
  • Fuddles
  • Jazzy in the Jungle
  • Who Wants A Dragon?
Nick Bland was born in the Yarra Valley of Australia, in 1973. He was the son of an artist and a primary school teacher, and spent his early years on the farm where his parents lived. At age six, he moved with his family to 'the bush'. He wanted to be a cartoonist and a writer from a very young age. In 1996, he took a job at a book store, and decided to write and illustrate children's books. His f ...more
More about Nick Bland...