Start by marking “A Widow's Hope (Miller Family, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Widow's Hope (Miller Family, #1)

A Widow's Hope (Miller Family #1)

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  784 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews

A bright new voice shares a tender love story set in the rolling green fields of Ohio Amish country.

After the death of her husband, Hannah Brown is determined to make a new life with her sister's family. But when she sells her farm in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and moves with her sheep to Ohio, the wool unexpectedly starts to fly. Her deacon brother-in-law finds just

Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Widow's Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Widow's Hope

Abigail the Fangirl
I live in Indiana near a bunch of Amish families. I am a country girl and attend many auctions and other activities with them. I have always been fascinated with their lifestyle and finally decided to pick up a book like this. I really enjoyed it!
Tina Watson
Nov 07, 2012 Tina Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-read
This was the first time for me reading one of Mary Ellis's books.

I just love this book. Hannah and the Miller family were funny at times. Then close to the end Mrs. Lee (an English neighbor) was sneaky.

The detail information/description help make the book worthwhile reading and wanting to read it to know what happens next with Hannah.
Molly Jebber
Jul 08, 2015 Molly Jebber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!
D.J.

MY THOUGHTS:

What a wonderful story!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this great story — not what I expected — much more sassy! That’s the way I would describe Hannah Brown. Is she stubborn, willful, independent – or just trying to make her way the best she can…

Hannah moves from Pennsylvania to Ohio, to help her sister, but ends up alienating her brother-in-law — and his brother. After a visit from the elders of the church, things don’t look too good for her.

Wow! I feel like I already know Hannah and
Lisa Crenshaw
May 26, 2014 Lisa Crenshaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish-fiction
Except for one item, this was a really great read. Throughout the book Hannah is comforted by Scripture to the point she shares it with others. Though this is wonderful in the eyes of The Lord the Amish have certain Books of the Bible that are not permitted by the bishop. In all the Amish fiction I've read this is the first time I have heard of this. Even if it is true or just a story line, I was very disappointed that the author never added the message of true salvation after a discussions betw ...more
Molly
Feb 18, 2010 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful Amish story to add to the many, many, many Amish novels that I have read. This is book 1 in Mary Ellis' Amish series, The Miller Family series, and I am so glad that I had the chance to review this tender story of love, forgiveness, family and heartache.

When I think of the Amish, I automatically think of the easy life they have, but in reality, they have struggles too. Many of the same struggles that we Englishers often have, and one of them being the death of a husband or a w
Dundee Library
A Widow’s Hope is the first of three books in The Miller Family Series. In this book Hannah, a young childless Amish widow sells her farm in Pennsylvania and moves with her flock of sheep to live in Ohio with her sister Julia and her family. The transition is less than smooth however as her brother-in-law Simon a church Deacon finds Hannah improperly outspoken and is not happy about the sheep.

Simon’s brother Seth livers nearby with his daughter Phoebe who hasn’t spoken since her mothers death ye
Dec 29, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: A WIDOW’S HOPE
Author: Mary Ellis
Publisher: Harvest House Publishers
March 2009
ISBN: 978-0736927321
Genre: Inspirational/Amish Romance

Hannah Brown has sold her farm to her brother, Thomas, after the death of her husband. She wants to stay on the farm, but can’t rely on her elderly parents to care for her, and so she offers to help out her sister, Julia, who is suffering from arthritis. But Julia’s husband, Simon, doesn’t like Hannah, doesn’t like her sheep, and finds Hannah extremely vexing.
Hannah
Dec 16, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish
Author Mary Ellis is sort of new to me, even though she is not new to the Christian fiction world. I stumbled upon her after looking for books on Overdrive from my local library. The first book I read by her is A Widow's Hope.

Character Hannah Brown and I share much more than just our first names; we also share the need to assert our opinions and do what we feel is right. Hannah Brown lost her husband, and is moving to be with her sister, Julia, who is suffering from arthritis. Julia's husband, h
Kate
Aug 08, 2013 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last year, my Amish fiction book club read 'An Amish Family Reunion', which is, in essence, the 4th book of the Miller family's story. There were a lot of characters in that book which had been introduced in the previous series (which begins with 'A Widow's Hope'), and I wanted to learn more about that family.
I really enjoyed reading Hannah and Seth's storyline. I liked how spunky Hannah was, while also trying to follow God's will, and the Ordnung of her new district in Ohio. I liked Seth's sens
Michelle Robinson
At the beginning of this book I was in love with it and with the characters.

I found them refreshing and different, to some extint. I really admired Hannah and found her business as a sheep herder to be interesting.

I like Seth as well and his little daughter, was interesting to me.

I felt sorry for Hannah, initially and felt she was being misunderstood and mistreated.

After a while though, her refusal to have real conversations with anyone, especially Seth became frustrating for me. She never want
Louise
Oct 16, 2010 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Brown is feeling alone living in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania after the death of her beloved husband, Adam two years ago. With no husband and no children, Hannah decides to sell their Amish farm and move to Ohio to live with her sister, Julia and her family.

Julia is wracked with pain with an unyet formally diagnosed illness so Hannah feels she'll be able to help her sister with the running of her household and helping to care for Julia and Simon's children.

Simon, on the other hand, isn
Janine
Jul 07, 2013 Janine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A Widow's Hope" by Mary Ellis had sparks flying on just about every direction. I felt as I read the book as if I had read it before as there were times when I knew what was coming, but didn't think the book was predictable too much. I mean we read the book to see guy and girl get together so that is always predictable. Though I suspect I read the book before I still thoroughly enjoy reading the start of The Miller Family Series.

When I said that sparks were flying from all directions I wasn't fa
Beth
Apr 07, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely romance set in Amish country.

I am a bit silly, I don't appreciate too much religion in "everyday" people stories but I have no problem with the level of religion in "Amish" stories. I enjoy looking into the world of people who really live their faith.

A widow moves in with her sister's family and has some problems learning their ways. She meets the brother-in-law (a widow) and they fall in love.
Griz Girl
May 06, 2014 Griz Girl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful start to an Amish series...Mary Ellis is a fantastic author! Smooth-reading, easy-flowing storyline with well-rounded characters.

Hannah & her sheep are wonderful! Simon & his gruffness are endearing, and the ending was perfect! Hannah & Seth & Phoebe were an excellent family.
Fv
Sep 21, 2013 Fv rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book.

Three problems I found was, (1) Hannah was to cranky.

She snapped at others for asking a mere question,and the questions were innocent ones. Like how are you today?

(2) And the sheep were big part for the first half of the book, then they were an after thought.

(3) And the little girl who had issues, were fine for the first half, then those were haphazard.

Otherwise the plot was different. The sheep were a great part as long as they were a part of her life.

The information about the
Polly
Jun 10, 2014 Polly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet book. I enjoyed the Amish everyday life. Seeing how the Amish men and women interacted in their community. The love story wasn't only the love between a man and woman, but, the love of all
the community. A great read.
Delores Wessley
Jan 06, 2015 Delores Wessley rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Laughed and cried. Ready for the next book.

I can't get enough of similar books. First time I have read Mary Ellis. Recommending to all. Tears and laughter.
Maggie Shanley
The story of an Amish woman who moves with her flock of sheep to her sister's house, causing disruption and hurt feelings but finding more family to love.
Louise E.
Dec 29, 2015 Louise E. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book #1 of 4.....Extremely good story. I had trouble putting the book down. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Sandra
Wonderful story and I've just finished the second book a few minutes ago, so now will start on the last in this trilogy by a very inspiring author, Mary Ellis. I can't wait for her next book.

If you enjoy Amish fiction that helps you learn more about the Amish way of life, and their faith, these are books you need to read. Ms. Ellis has first hand knowledge through her Amish friends and writes what she knows or learns through her extensive research. I really like her characters, especially Hannah
Dorrice
Sep 12, 2012 Dorrice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! And when something in the plot caused me to need to ask a question I wrote to the author, Mary Ellis, and she kindly answered. I appreciated that.
The main character in this novel, Hannah, was a good Amish woman but one who had the unfortunate characteristic to have a mind of her own. In that society it is not always a good thing. She managed to rub people the wrong way without even intending to. Her sister convinced her that pride was one of her faults and she accepted that with good
C.
Skillful writing from this new author of Inspirational Amish Fiction

If you are a fan of this genre or just checking it out for the first time,I don't believe anyone will be disappointed in 'A Widow's Hope' from Mary Ellis. A very engaging story and well developed characters will make this book one that is hard to put down. I'm thrilled to see that the next book continues with characters from this one,Hanna,Seth and Emma.

I highly recommend 'A Widow's Hope',and wish much continued success to this
Bekah
Feb 01, 2014 Bekah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read, with an interesting sub-plot-line.
Dianna
Jun 19, 2014 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anther great Amish story
Kendra Neal
Aug 29, 2011 Kendra Neal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING!!! I really enjoyed this book and I am going to get the next 2 in the series tomorrow from the library! I had never read a book by Mary Ellis before and I truly enjoyed her book. I am very much looking forward to other books in this series and by Mary Ellis!

The book has lots of twists and turns and had a very good message about stubbornness and forgiveness. LOVE IT!!
Pat
Jul 13, 2009 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Brown, an Amish widow, moves to Ohio, to help her sister, who has crippling arthitis. She takes her flock of sheep that she and her husband bought. She ruffles her brother in law's feathers the wrong way, but intrigues his widowed brother. Story is predictable, but has some unexpected twists.
Pam
Nov 28, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amish romance. Pretty formulaic. I could tell who Hannah was going to marry before the end of the first chapter. Still, it had some twists and turns. As a mature woman, Hannah was immature. I mean, really -- hiding in the bathroom?? There were times when I wanted to tell her to grow up already!
Maureen
Jan 17, 2016 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Amish books. I usually have no tolerance for a culture that doesn't treat women equal but I can over look that here as life is so simple and family oriented. The Anish don't know it but the women hold more power over Amish men as its is the women that continue the ways of the Plain.
Susan
Apr 11, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, a great start to the series. All the Miller's are enchanting. It was a joy to watch Hannah as she adjusted to her new home. It was equally entertaining to watch how everyone else reacted to her sheep, a novelty for them. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
  • A Man of His Word (Hearts of Middlefield, #1)
  • Rebecca's Promise (Adams County #1)
  • Sarah's Garden (Patch of Heaven, #1)
  • Beside Still Waters (The Big Sky Series, #1)
  • Plain Jayne (Plain and Simple, #1)
  • Winter's Awakening (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #1)
  • Patchwork Dreams (Amish of Seymour County, #1)
  • A Stranger's Wish (Amish Farm Trilogy, #1)
  • An Amish Love
  • Courting Ruth (Hannah's Daughters, #1)
  • Leah's Choice (Pleasant Valley, #1)
  • Lydia's Charm
  • The Hope of Refuge
Mary Ellis has written twelve award-winning novels set in the Amish community and several historical romances set during the Civil War. Her latest, Midnight on the Mississippi, first of a new mystery series, Secrets of the South, is set in New Orleans. Before "retiring" to write full-time, Mary taught school and worked as a sales rep for Hershey Chocolate, a job with amazingly sweet fringe benefi ...more
More about Mary Ellis...

Miller Family (4 books)
  • Never Far from Home (Miller Family, #2)
  • The Way to a Man's Heart (Miller Family, #3)
  • An Amish Family Reunion (Miller Family, #4)

“Psalms 34:4 “I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.” 1 likes