Start by marking “The Bride That Time Forgot” as Want to Read:
The Bride That Time Forgot

The Bride That Time Forgot (Brenda & Effie Mystery #5)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  26 reviews
An outrageous adventure with the most terrifying villain Brenda's ever faced - her best friend, Effie.

Necks are being bitten all over Whitby. In an ordinary town, this would be worrying. Here, it's disastrous, and only Brenda knows why. She's trying to prepare for Christmas at her B&B, but her best friend Effie just hasn't been the same since her suave gentleman friend
Published March 3rd 2011 by Headline Review (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Bride That Time Forgot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride That Time Forgot

Helen
Never thought two old ladies would be my heroes. But they are. Brenda and Effie are just fab, and of course, not just your average ladies of a certain age. These books are funny, exciting, inventive and clever, and make me want to get back to Whitby more than ever. (Ooh, I rhymed inadvertently!)
I so hope they'll be having more adventures!
Michael Thomas
Paul Magrs, The Bride That Time Forgot. London: Headline Review, 2010. 341pp, paperback. 12.99. ISBN 978 0 7553 5944 8.

The Bride That Time Forgot belongs in a long, honourable tradition. Doom-laden goings on can be engrossing in themselves, but even more so, often, when placed right in the middle of the mundane. Both worlds can gain immeasurably by the interaction. Elm Street is a perfect harbour for nightmares precisely because of its picket-fenced babysitter schedules. Several of Wells’ scient
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Even in Whitby Brenda's life might be going to the bad. Sure there have been dangers before, but they've always found a way to have a punch up and be victorious. The return of Effie's fancy man Alucard might be the turning point. Because Brenda may be in denial about what this once and possibly still evil vampire has done to her best friend. She doesn't want to go accusing Alucard of turning Effie unless she is certain, and she sure doesn't want to be certain. Yet, there is no way of denying tha ...more
Rachel
The fifth book in Paul Magrs' brilliant 'Brenda and Effie' series follows straight on from the previous book, 'Hells Belles'. Effie has taken up with her fancy-man, the charming and dangerous Kristoff Alucard, and Brenda is worried. Vampires and Walkers are taking over the seaside town of Whitby, and a mysterious new bookshop has opened, luring in the women of the town with tales of the mysterious land of Qab. Once again it's up to Brenda and her gang of friends to save the day, travelling to a ...more
Lucy
Well what to make of this book! a Christmas prezzie from Aunty Mary (Thanks Mary) It is a bizarre little book!
The main character is Brenda who is rather like a supernatural Miss Marple! she has her friends Robert Penny and her best friend Effie.
The book is set in Whitby, I love Whitby and as I was reading the book I could really envisage all that was going on, as the last time I was there it was a 'Goths' weekend, by that I don't mean sulky teenagers with too much black eyeliner, no, proper 'G
C.L. Raven
We love Paul Magrs's books, they're quirky, funny and unusual, starring Brenda, the Bride of Frankenstein, who now runs a B & B in Whitby. She and her friend, Effie, who's from a long line of witches, are always getting into fights with various supernatural creatures.

We found this book hard to get in to at first 'cos it was written in journal format, whereas we're used to reading these books in first person POV, so the journal format felt almost disengaged to us. Effie's POV in the journal w
Brian Collyer
A good, not great, addition to the Brenda and Effie stories. The central plot of the book is what disappointed me. Namely, that Brenda and Effie are estranged. What I've enjoyed about the previous books is their interaction. There was very little in this book.

I was also disappointed by ideas that were previously used in the Iris Wildthyme books (shears that cut through time and space). Granted, it is a great idea. But, somehow, it didn't feel very original reading it in Magrs' other series.

Brett
The best yet out of the Brenda and Effie series. What seems to be just a comical series really leaves a lasting impression on you. After finishing the last book before this one, I had such withdrawals. Now I can feel the same thing happening after finishing this one. MORE PLEASE MR MAGRS!!!!

The story makes a full loop from Brenda's earlier life to present day and explains some of the bigger questions raised from the beginning of the series, like 'Why doesn't Brenda remember so much of her past?'
Kate Millin
The best yet, and I am getting better at picking up the other literary references.

Necks are being bitten all over Whitby. In an ordinary town this would be worrying. Here it's disastrous, and only Brenda has guessed why. She's also trying to prepare for a packed festive season in her B & B, but her best friend Effie is in a distracted mood; she just hasn't been the same since her suave gentleman friend Alucard reappeared.

I have found it difficult to put down, and a very easy book to get bac
Debby Kean
This book was simply disappointing. The "humour" was reminiscent of Douglas Adams (and that is not a compliment). There's no such thing as a pleasant character, and I found it pretty hard to care about anyone.
Tiffany
Black comedy, yet again! The stories are so far fetched and ridiculous that it's impossible not to enjoy them. Especially when they're told by such loveable characters. Absolutely hilarious, yet again!
Andy T
Love this series of quirky stoies. Wonderfully odd characters
JackieB
These books are so funny. The two main characters are elderly ladies who have all of the likes and dislikes you would expect and then Paul Magrs sends them out to fight the forces of evil in Whitby in their own disrinctive style. The result is surreal but very funny.
Jackie
Well, literary genius, it isn't. But it's a lighthearted romp through camp gothic. Fans and followers of the series will like this one. I thought the last one quite poor but I'm glad I gave Magrs the benefit of the doubt and gave this a chance.
Alison
Well my first Vampire book and although amusing in some places I generally found it just a bit strange. Don;t like not finishing books though and it was readable but wouldn't really recommend it as the World's greatest read!
Tal
really liked this book, and i hope Mr Magrs will continue the series because OMG NEED BRENDA FIX!

i kindof want to meet Brenda and Effie in real life. that would be a million kinds of awesome.
Rachel Nowakowski
Another fab installment from Brenda and Effie. I still can't believe such a great book on female friendship is written by a guy. Kudos Mr Magrs!
Deanne
Makes me want to pack up and move to Whitby. Heard the fish and chips there are great, just wish you could still get them wrapped in newspaper.
Leon
Read a couple of chapters already. I'm enjoying them v much. Tell you more when I finish more chapters
Lou
God, how I love the Brenda and Effie books. I sincerely hope Paul Magrs writes more about them.
Beth
Brilliant. I enjoyed every minute spent reading this book.
Mark Birchall
More bonkers shenanigans in Whitby
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Roslyn
Roslyn added it
Mar 10, 2015
Hilary Hall
Hilary Hall marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Coord_sirwilliam
Coord_sirwilliam marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
  • Doctor Who: The Face Eater
  • Doctor Who: Frontier Worlds
  • Doctor Who: Anachrophobia
  • Doctor Who: Dominion
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Doctor Who: The Adventuress of Henrietta Street
  • Doctor Who: Vampire Science
  • Doctor Who: Longest Day
  • Doctor Who: Father Time
  • Splitsville.com (Olivia Davis Paranormal Mystery, #1)

Brenda & Effie Mystery (6 books)
  • Never the Bride (Brenda and Effie Mystery #1)
  • Something Borrowed (Brenda & Effie Mystery #2)
  • Conjugal Rites (Brenda & Effie Mystery #3)
  • Hell's Belles! (Brenda & Effie Mystery #4)
  • Brenda and Effie Forever (Brenda & Effie Mystery #6)
Doctor Who: Sick Building Never the Bride (Brenda and Effie Mystery #1) Something Borrowed (Brenda & Effie Mystery #2) Exchange Doctor Who: The Stones of Venice (Big Finish Audio Drama, #18)