Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)

Starcrossed (Starcrossed #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  31,459 ratings  ·  3,596 reviews
How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women we...more
Published May 31st 2011 by HarperTeen (first published April 1st 2011)

Entwined by Heather DixonWither by Lauren DeStefanoUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisDarkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
Beautiful Book Covers of 2011
12th out of 643 books — 4,226 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDivergent by Veronica Roth
YA Novels of 2011
42nd out of 1,217 books — 6,647 voters

More lists with this book...

Steph Sinclair
Kat Kennedy
Vinaya
**EDIT: I originally gave this book three stars, simply because it is based on Greek mythology, and I've had a love affair with Greek mythology since I was a kid. However, upon further consideration and a sudden recall of my Homer and Bullfinch, I am forced to concede that the Greek Mythology in this book is about as authentic as cranberry sauce in a can. So, only two stars, and I'm STILL being generous!

Two Twifans are walking down the street to the cinema

Fangirl 1: ZOMG, I h8 steffie meyer! Y h...more
Haleema
Beware of spoilers!

I'd have to be pretty insane to give this one a star. I'd like to give it .00000000001 star if I could.

Goodreads, y u no let us give .00000000001 star?

Characters:
So this is where I went slightly balistic. I'm going to talk about the two main freaks of the book.

Helen "Grams" Hamilton:
description

description

Grams (I call her Grams because she's an old hag. She's not a teen.) was a mixture of Bella Swan and Zoey Redbird.

1. Bella Swan because of her whiny, pessimistic, clumsy attitude.
2. Zoey Redbird b...more
Phoebe
"That's All" Ash
--->WHAT THE HOLY GRENADE WAS THAT?! <---

A damn good book, that’s what that was. ;)

photo tumblrmh4u4ggarz1r31ngf.gif

I am officially a Josephine Angelini fan, that’s for sure. She’s one intelligent, story-choreographic, badass woman! She definitely wrote a book that, from the very first page, has it all:

Romance.

photo tumblr_mc3hg5VpQP1qcy0p7o1_500-1.gif

____________________________________________

Helen

photo 32918a3482ffcc6eb4b1eeb86da9d935.jpg

Helen Hamilton has always been different.

She’s workin’ her way up to being 5’11...more
Cait
Krys

I hate to say this but I am going to be tearing this one apart. I think I'm the first person to write a negative review for Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini on the entirety of the internet. But that said, here goes nothing.

This book did nothing for me. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And here's why.

Starcrossed is set on Nantucket island and features the shy, willowy Helen as she gears up for the first day of her junior year of high school. She and her father live alone and she has a job and a best...more
Blacky *Romance Addict*

This is a story of an impossible love and two people destined to repeat history...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Wanna know who I loved most in the book?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I was never a fan of Helen and Paris, dunno why, and in this book the main couple certainly didn't change my mind.
I liked Hector the best, he is an amazing character and I wish HE was the main one instead of Paris, but oh well, can't have everything :(

The world building

Well, like I said, the main story here is the Trojan war about to repeat itself, and Paris+Helen's tragic lo...more
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Kristi (The Story Siren)
Greek Mythology! YAY!

Starcrossed is completely addicting.... I read these 400 some pages in one afternoon, because I simply could not stop.

I don't know it if was because I found the story so addicting or if it was because I was enchanted by the cast of characters. Either way Starcrossed was an unforgettable read. Helen is a normal teenager, well as normal as a teenage demigod is. I like that Helen knew she was different, but didn't exactly know what that meant. This wasn't a story where the cha...more
Circus Princess
Amy Plum
WOW!!! I really loved this book. Just finished it a few hours ago, and my mind keeps dragging me back to go over one detail or another. I love characters whose personalities aren't clear-cut black or white - ones who are motivated by both good and evil. And Josie's addition of the Furies makes this possible.

I love the fact that she takes ideas from ancient literature and molds them into something that works well in a contemporary story. Placing the story on the island of Nantucket is pure geniu...more
Zoë Marriott
THE BLURB:

How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is — no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're...more
Kristi-The Book Faery
Starcrossed is not your typical girl meets boy they fall in love and defeat the bad guy together. No, it’s much much MORE. I absolutely adored this book! I was left thinking about it long after I finished this enthralling story that entwines Greek mythology and modern day times so flawlessly and with such vivid accuracy I almost question if Ms. Angelini had witnessed the Gods-and all that that entails-herself.

Helen has lived her entire life on Nantucket Island, she’s always known she was differe...more
Kelli Lee
About a month ago, in a moment of weakness, I agreed to chaperone my niece’s slumber birthday party. Around o’dark-thirty, after umpteen knocks on my bedroom door with teary-eyed ten-year-old girls on the other side, whimpering that so and so is mean, so and so did this, I couldn’t take it anymore and stomped out bed, blew the proverbial camp councilor whistle, and commanded the ten hyped-up kids to gather around because it was story time. I proceeded to spin a horrorific yarn combining all urba...more
fяσzєη, kupo~
Mar 02, 2012 fяσzєη, kupo~ marked it as no-thanks
Shelves: due-to-reviews
Me when I saw the reviews for this book:

I'm staying away from this. xD
Cora Linn
BO-RING.

This is easily on Parr with Twilight, Fallen and the Selection. Utter tripe. It was a good idea but the execution was painful and uninspiring.

I wanted to grab Helen and shake her by the shoulders screaming "GO BACK TO NURSERY YOU SPOILT, PETULANT LITTLE CHILD!" She was so immature it was infuriating. Oh, and she's a special Mary Sue too. The most beautiful, the most powerful, the fastest, the freaking best at everything and INDESTRUCTIBLE. Seriously. Now let me go puke...

The characters,...more
Amber
Very very good. I was unsure when I started it, having received a proof to read before publication, but a few chapters in and I was hooked!
Angelini's use of Greek mythology adds a new spin to the relatively saturated 'Supernatural Romance' Genre that has suddenly exploded in teenage fiction. Helen and Lucas' cursed love story is touching and worth the read.
Vi Vi
Mar 08, 2010 Vi Vi marked it as to-read
I'm getting this out of the library first, because I'm iffy about it. It seems like it could be interesting or just more angsty teen romance fair which I've honestly had enough of. But I'm holding out because it involves the Trojan War. Please dear god Josephine, don't do to greek mythology what Stephenie Meyer did to vampires.

I love Homer, so if this is just the Hot Topic/CW Network/Gossip Girl/Twilight version of the Iliad, I will honestly slit my stuffed animal's throat.
Lamia
This can also be seen at The Book Eater

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

I was so very excited to read this. I basically pounced on the galley as soon as it was available.

I'm going to preface this by saying that this review is subjective. I think a lot of people will like this book. It just... Wasn't for me.

Throughout the whole thing, I kept finding similarities to Twilight. Helen, the narrator, is shy and extremely introverted - like Bella. She's gorgeous, but doesn't suspect a thing - like Bella. She h...more
Sam
Read more of my reviews at Falling Books!

Starcrossed is a book full of fun and action. It's an emotional rollercoaster. It will make you laugh, smile, cry and all the other complicated emotions that I can't explain. Josephine Angelini has created an exciting and dangerous world full of demigods and forbidden love that you can't get enough of.

Are you tired of reading about Vampires, Wolves, Fairies, Witches and Angels? Then Starcrossed is for you! If you think you know all the paranormal beings...more
Alésia
Okay! So, I'm pretty stoked! I literally had a heart-attack in this book - well it felt like it!

So, this book was frustrating, intense, fun, fast, enchanting, romantic and MYSTERIOUS! I can easily say that I was addicted. I read it on a planeride from Charles De Gaulle in Paris to JFK and I was so surprised to find that the who-knows-how-many-hours planeride literally felt like a minute! Stoked!

This book was captivating from the very first chapter - no kidding! And I really loved how all the cha...more
Merary
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I'm a huge fan of Greek mythology and I'm been waiting for the chance to sit down and devour the book. Aside from the unique spin Josephine gives her mythology, I loved the setting, Nantucket. I never would have pictured this as the setting for a whole cast of demigods to live, but it really worked for the story and provided the perfect amount of seclusions they needed for what happens in the story.

I thought there was a wonderful cast of beautiful demigod characters who have a wide range of uniq...more
Lucia
"The Fates are obsessed with cycles, and they repeat the same patterns over and over all around the world-especially when it comes to the Big Three-war, love, and family."

My Helen and Lucas:

Helen is ordinary, extremely shy teenage girl. But than strange things start to happen. She feels weird, has halucinations and creepy dreams. At first she things she is going crazy. But she when out of the sudden has this unfathomable urge to kill new boy Lucas whom she had never seen before, she realizes th...more
Glass
***NOTE! Review posted on ja čitam, a ti?

Starcrossed, alongside with Until I Die by Amy Plum, was one of the books with pretty covers I wanted badly to read last year. And then it was published, I read few negative reviews and I already was disappointed with Until I Die, so I gave up. Other than that, I was sceptical about novels based on Greek mythology.Maybe it was good that I waited this long - I had to read some bad books first so I could appreciate what Josephine Angelini had done in Starc...more
tonya.
I was given this ARC free of charge from NetGalley. I'll try to keep my review as spoiler free as possible.

Admittedly, I began reading Starcrossed with very low expectations. My initial excitement over the premise dimmed when I read a few preliminary reviews comparing it to Twilight; I went in with my eyeball muscles limbered up, ready to roll at a moment's notice.

I was very pleasantly surprised, and happy to be wrong.

While there are some inconsistencies in the mythology, overall I found it a v...more
Hira
OMGods OMGods OMGods! Okay, usually I'm not even a proponent of using the phrase "OMG", let alone starting my review with it but this book calls for exclamations like that. This book was SO good, a part of me wants to put in a request to Goodreads to raise their ratings from 5 stars to at least 10 stars (and they still would not be enough!), just for this book!

Helen Hamilton lives a life of relative peace and quiet on the serene island of Nantucket. Not much happens on this island where everyon...more
Chelesbells
Jul 03, 2011 Chelesbells rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chelesbells by: Hira
It came as no great shock to me that I was going to adore this book. I had seen the glowing reviews, and the second I mentioned that I was going to be reading Starcrossed, the comments came pouring in. Everyone was so excited that I was going to be reading what they were deeming one of their favorite books. Could it possibly live up to all the hype? Oh boy, did it ever. Brace yourselves ‘cause I am about to jump on the gushing bandwagon.

Starcrossed follows the stunningly gorgeous Helen Hamilton...more
YA Lovers: Lucas Delos 1 5 Apr 15, 2014 02:02PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Starcrossed Trilogy by Josephine Angelini - Starting April 1st 2014 10 14 Apr 02, 2014 05:20AM
YA Bookaholics: April BOTM (Mythology) ~ Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini 1 7 Apr 02, 2014 12:53AM
The YA Book Club: Team Lucas or Orion 17 131 Feb 21, 2014 04:21PM
Daphne and Ajax? 8 107 Dec 02, 2013 02:39PM
! YA Heroines !: Starcrossed - November BOTM 2 10 Nov 18, 2013 12:52AM
So different from PJO ... 4 33 Oct 28, 2013 06:08PM
  • Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)
  • Shade (Shade, #1)
  • Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1)
  • Tempest Rising (Tempest, #1)
  • Pure (Covenant, #2)
  • Wildefire (Wildefire, #1)
  • Carrier of the Mark (Carrier, #1)
  • Blutbraut
  • The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3)
  • The Mephisto Covenant: The Redemption of Ajax (The Mephisto Covenant, #1)
  • Fury (The Fury Trilogy, #1)
  • A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
  • Destined (Destined, #1)
  • Crave (The Clann, #1)
  • Spellbound (Spellbound, #1)
  • Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
  • Die for Me (Revenants, #1)
  • Losing Lila (Lila, #2)
Josephine Angelini is a Massachusetts native and the youngest of eight siblings. She graduated from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts in theater, with a focus on the classics. She now lives in Los Angeles with her husband.
More about Josephine Angelini...
Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2) Goddess (Starcrossed, #3) Starcrossed City (Starcrossed #0.5) Göttlich verdammt / Göttlich verloren / Göttlich verliebt (Starcrossed, #1-3) Trial by Fire  ( Worldwalker Trilogy Series, #1)

“I don’t care how hard being together is, nothing is worse than being apart.” 558 likes
“She decided that if Lucas was gay then she was going to have to get a sex change operation. He would be so worth it.” 480 likes