Start by marking “The Disappearing Floor” as Want to Read:
The Disappearing Floor

The Disappearing Floor (The Hardy Boys #19)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,682 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Once again Frank and Joe Hardy accept the challenge of a puzzling case when their famous detective father asks the boys to assist him in tracking down a notorious jewel thief and his accomplices. The trail leads to the outskirts of the Hardy's home town and to a weirdly guarded mansion on the old Perth estate.
Published May 1st 1940 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Disappearing Floor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Disappearing Floor

John Yelverton
This story was so hokie that only a kid could enjoy it, but since I was a kid when I read it, I did.
Linda
Oh my, I can't even begin to tell you what's wrong with this book. Sloppy plot? Bizarre? Sci-Fi in a non-Sci-Fi book? Or too many coincidences to make anything at all believable? But since this is an old series book, and I love series books, I gave it 3 stars. I didn't have the heart to go any lower.

The Hardy Boys are going camping when they meet some rough men in the woods and in a cave. Then they meet their famous private detective father, Fenton Hardy, in the woods. He's hot on the trail of b
Amanda C.
I loved the book Disappearing Floor.
The book reminded me of the Nacy Drew books.
I made a prediction that the Strang was in that car when they were chasing after him.
I wonder why the glowing ghost wanted the gems and the papers.
My favorite character is Joe because he is smart,brave,funny,and cute.
I will reccomend this book to other students because it was funny,made you want to keep reading, and for people who like mysteries.
I was confused when they where adding in a whole bunch more charac
Erik
I first got into the Hardy Boys books in the second grade or so. I amassed a sizable collection of the books, acquired from Toys R Us and the local library's used book sale. I came across my old box o' books and decided to give one a a read. If memory serves, The Disappearing Floor is one of the first ones in the series that I read. It's still great! The plot is about a jewel thief, pursued of course by hero brothers Frank and Joe Hardy.

I had forgotten how violent these books are. Cars crash, p
Ben Kanieski
author: Franklin W Dixon
date published: 1940
genre: mystery

This story all started with the Hardy boys driving in a car venturing into the dark. In that ride they ended up finding one of the people on one of their dads files (their dad is a detective and they are detectives also. They ended up losing him so the climax was basically just trying to find him in which they did sometimes but they just couldn't get a hold of him. The setting of this story was in a small town in the old days. They never
Tyler Bachinsky
This was a pretty good book. It was a good adventure book. they only bad thing was that this story had to many things going on and the author just switched in the middle of a chapter to another view. I would recomend this book to 5 and 6 graders. it was to easy of a read for a 7 grader. the exciting parts were when the boys try to find this floor thats only ther...... sometimes. folow the boys on ther quest to find the floor.
Daisyaday
This book is a hoot; found it when cleaning my son's old room. We bought it at a library sale 20 years ago.
It has the brothers fighting a tiger while armed with a club! It also has ghosts, a mad scientist and secrets galore.
Aniruddha Nagendra
The first ever novel that I read. This was back when I was 10. Thought it was the bee's knees.
Patrick Birmingham
I think this is another one of those Hardy Boys books that I would think is so interesting. It's the time where they have to track down a jewel thief on the loose and they encounter mysterious elements along the way. Talk about a big situation. I would recommend it if you like the Hardy Boys' adventures. So now that I'm done, I'll read one of the 2 new Hardy Boys book that I wished for on my birthday.
Deb
Not the best writing, these book series, but somehow I love them all the same. There is something comforting and yet exciting in the Hardy's adventures. This particular one had plenty of fun gadgets and a fairly neatly tied up storyline. The kids and I have fun with each of these books and will continue through the series.
MizziQ
I am reviewing this book out of all the other ones in the series because I think it was exceptionally good. I do not want to give away the plot, but this one is just really interesting, and very fun. Enjoy!
Rob Hermanowski
...and this one. What I do remember is that the TV series version of this title was an ENTIRELY different story, involving holograms and other nonsense. The book was much better!
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
Erni
I found this book covered by dust. FW Dixon as crime mystery teenage book writer did a good job in keeping the suspen and surprises in every chapter
Ruthie Jones
I read the Hardy Boys books (and Nancy Drew) when I was a child. The stories are old fashioned, but that's why I like them so much.
Andy
I read a bunch of Hardy Boys. Don't remember a specific single title, so this one will be a stand in for all of them.
Ron
#19. Excellent series for young readers - highly recommended.
I read these books when I was 10 - 15 years of age.
Sharon
A childhood obsession, I can still recall the day I read an entire Haardy Boys book in one sitting.
Jim Sampson
another great read in this legendary series. I read these years ago and enjoyed them all.
Thomas
It was so great! I TOTALLY like the parts when Joe falls into the pit.
Valkyrie Oracle
My book has the same cover as shown in this listing but was published in 1992.
Gabrielle
This was amazing. I could not put it down, on till I finish it!
Robert-erhs
This book was a big adventure. I never wanted to put it down.
Harriet
I love all mysteries. Mostly Nancy Drew books but I like These too.
Chris Turek
A decent entry to the series with an excellent setting.
Phares Kariuki
One of my first novels to read!!
Kolan
read when I was 10 through 13
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)
  • The Mystery of the Flaming Footprints (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #15)
  • Double Crossing (A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Mystery of the Kidnapped Whale (The Three Investigators, #35)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...
The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1) The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2) The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3) Hardy Boys Complete Series Set Books 1-66 (The Hardy Boys #1-66) The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)