Start by marking “The Disappearing Floor” as Want to Read:
The Disappearing Floor

The Disappearing Floor (Hardy Boys #19)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  2,291 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Once again Frank and Joe Hardy accept the challenge of a puzzling case when their famous detective father asks the boys to assist him in tracking down a notorious jewel thief and his accomplices. The trail leads to the outskirts of the Hardy's home town and to a weirdly guarded mansion on the old Perth estate.
Published May 1st 1940 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Disappearing Floor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Disappearing Floor

John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was so hokie that only a kid could enjoy it, but since I was a kid when I read it, I did.
Jerry
Oct 10, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The edition I read was as old as dirt...but it was still great fun!
Ben Kanieski
author: Franklin W Dixon
date published: 1940
genre: mystery

This story all started with the Hardy boys driving in a car venturing into the dark. In that ride they ended up finding one of the people on one of their dads files (their dad is a detective and they are detectives also. They ended up losing him so the climax was basically just trying to find him in which they did sometimes but they just couldn't get a hold of him. The setting of this story was in a small town in the old days. They never
Frank
Reread of a childhood favorite.
Elly
Jan 11, 2017 Elly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marathon
in the series I have Disappearing Floor is number 5

This book is over the top, but thats the point. It's an adventure for young boys (and girls) to read under the sheets by torchlight, when parents have told you to turn the light off! But you just have to know what happens next and catch the bad guys.

Car chases, fist fights, stolen treasure, explosions! Its power to childen and a reminder to adults just how much fun being a kid can be.
Amanda C.
I loved the book Disappearing Floor.
The book reminded me of the Nacy Drew books.
I made a prediction that the Strang was in that car when they were chasing after him.
I wonder why the glowing ghost wanted the gems and the papers.
My favorite character is Joe because he is smart,brave,funny,and cute.
I will reccomend this book to other students because it was funny,made you want to keep reading, and for people who like mysteries.
I was confused when they where adding in a whole bunch more charac
Erik
Jun 10, 2011 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first got into the Hardy Boys books in the second grade or so. I amassed a sizable collection of the books, acquired from Toys R Us and the local library's used book sale. I came across my old box o' books and decided to give one a a read. If memory serves, The Disappearing Floor is one of the first ones in the series that I read. It's still great! The plot is about a jewel thief, pursued of course by hero brothers Frank and Joe Hardy.

I had forgotten how violent these books are. Cars crash, p
Linda
May 30, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my, I can't even begin to tell you what's wrong with this book. Sloppy plot? Bizarre? Sci-Fi in a non-Sci-Fi book? Or too many coincidences to make anything at all believable? But since this is an old series book, and I love series books, I gave it 3 stars. I didn't have the heart to go any lower.

The Hardy Boys are going camping when they meet some rough men in the woods and in a cave. Then they meet their famous private detective father, Fenton Hardy, in the woods. He's hot on the trail of b
Edward Davies
Apparently in the world of the Hardy Boys, airports will hand out passenger lists to anyone that asks, and you don't have to log a fligh plan if you tell people it's only a short flight. Perhaps this was true when this was written, but I'm extremely doubtful. There are some odd moments throughout, with boats exploding at the end of a chapter, onyl for it to be revealed on the next page that the explosion wasn't quite so bad, and with strange houses filled with no end of technological wizardry an ...more
Caleb
Mar 01, 2016 Caleb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very captivated while reading this mystery. With every page the storyline kept unfolding revealing new clues to solving this elaborate mystery.

In this mystery Frank and Joe's best friend Chet stumbles upon a mysterious old house that holds many secrets, and of course it intrigues the Hardy's so they feel compelled to solve the mystery.

I really enjoyed this book. It is definitely one of my favorites in the series. I think that any fan could easily enjoy reading "The Disappearing Floor" as
Patrick Birmingham
I think this is another one of those Hardy Boys books that I would think is so interesting. It's the time where they have to track down a jewel thief on the loose and they encounter mysterious elements along the way. Talk about a big situation. I would recommend it if you like the Hardy Boys' adventures. So now that I'm done, I'll read one of the 2 new Hardy Boys book that I wished for on my birthday.
Tyler Bachinsky
Feb 07, 2014 Tyler Bachinsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book. It was a good adventure book. they only bad thing was that this story had to many things going on and the author just switched in the middle of a chapter to another view. I would recomend this book to 5 and 6 graders. it was to easy of a read for a 7 grader. the exciting parts were when the boys try to find this floor thats only ther...... sometimes. folow the boys on ther quest to find the floor.
Deb
Aug 29, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best writing, these book series, but somehow I love them all the same. There is something comforting and yet exciting in the Hardy's adventures. This particular one had plenty of fun gadgets and a fairly neatly tied up storyline. The kids and I have fun with each of these books and will continue through the series.
Daisyaday
Mar 25, 2014 Daisyaday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a hoot; found it when cleaning my son's old room. We bought it at a library sale 20 years ago.
It has the brothers fighting a tiger while armed with a club! It also has ghosts, a mad scientist and secrets galore.
Stephanie
Jun 29, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wsuksuq

Ah ah hahaha anyways Ganga us y st Bauhaus sugar hahaha hauay Nanak Isuzu is y gab hahaha abuse Havre at :) after Chatsworth the top of my friends th a b there were two years ago when I was just wondering if we can go to bed
Uahhagwhsvgstyauahgast whsygshsiaiis
MizziQ
Mar 19, 2011 MizziQ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it
I am reviewing this book out of all the other ones in the series because I think it was exceptionally good. I do not want to give away the plot, but this one is just really interesting, and very fun. Enjoy!
Ruthie Jones
Jul 25, 2010 Ruthie Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the Hardy Boys books (and Nancy Drew) when I was a child. The stories are old fashioned, but that's why I like them so much.
Rob Hermanowski
...and this one. What I do remember is that the TV series version of this title was an ENTIRELY different story, involving holograms and other nonsense. The book was much better!
Andy
I read a bunch of Hardy Boys. Don't remember a specific single title, so this one will be a stand in for all of them.
Ron
Aug 24, 2013 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#19. Excellent series for young readers - highly recommended.
I read these books when I was 10 - 15 years of age.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
Kristofer
In which Joe takes charge, crooks use ray guns, and the author actually comes out and says "Chet is fat," because at this point, there's really nowhere else to go with that.
Kevin Findley
A much better than average potboiler. The brothers are in good form here and a pleasure to read.

BTW, the page count is actually 176 for this edition.
Erni
Oct 03, 2007 Erni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, juvenile
I found this book covered by dust. FW Dixon as crime mystery teenage book writer did a good job in keeping the suspen and surprises in every chapter
David Bowen
David Bowen rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2010
Timothy
Timothy rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2012
Mikayla
Mikayla rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2012
Malachi Lining
Malachi Lining rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2013
Sarnic Dirchi
Sarnic Dirchi rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Arshneil Chaniana
Arshneil Chaniana rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover for 0006924921 6 15 Mar 10, 2015 01:15PM
Goodreads Librari...: Add Cover for 0006924921 4 12 Mar 09, 2015 10:24AM
  • The Clue in the Jewel Box (Nancy Drew, #20)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...

Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 190 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (Hardy Boys, #9)
  • What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)