Start by marking “The Unfinished Bombing: Oklahoma City in American Memory” as Want to Read:
The Unfinished Bombing: Oklahoma City in American Memory

The Unfinished Bombing: Oklahoma City in American Memory

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  6 reviews
On April 19, 1995 the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City shook the nation, destroying our complacent sense of safety and sending a community into a tailspin of shock, grief, and bewilderment. Almost as difficult as the bombing itself has been the aftermath, its legacy for Oklahoma City and for the nation, and the struggle to recover from this ...more
Published May 1st 2003 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Unfinished Bombing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unfinished Bombing

Catherine Shaw
This was assigned in my graduate public history colloquium course along with several other works by Linenthal. Linenthal's purpose in this book is not meant to merely educate about the event itself, but how it was incorporated into official public memory in America. For me, this book shed enormous light onto how challenging the process of memorialization and commemoration can be at a site which has witnessed such an act on American soil.

Unlike any other event, memorialization at the site of the
Katie Brennan
I read this book because I'm a big fan of memory work and Linenthal's approach to the subject -- he's the author of a totally masterful history of the creation of the Holocaust Memorial Museum, and this book about the Oklahoma City bombing is equally thoughtful.

- I was 12 when that bombing took place and I missed much of the debates about violent discourse and the political right that took place in its wake. So many of the editorials excerpted in this book brought to mind the conversations that
Bridget
Jul 02, 2007 Bridget rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cultural theorists
This book is a study of a memorial and how it was built; how the memory of an event becomes an image. It was very interesting to see many different perspectives on the situation and to hear about the process of building something that culturally important by committee.
Joshua Embrey
One of the greatest poems ever lives in this book. The poem was written a young lady whose father, a Secret Service Agent, was killed when the Murrah Building was bombed.
Donnie
Jul 30, 2007 Donnie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like history
Shelves: collectivememory
What is the meaning of memory and tragedy? What are the politics of the memorial? This book goes after that. I really liked it, and it stayed with me for quite a while.
Kyle Geissler
By one of the most interesting profs I had in college. It details the creation of the memorial in Oklahoma City.
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Todd Zimmer
Todd Zimmer marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Caroline Holtgrewe
Caroline Holtgrewe marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Wendi Merritt
Wendi Merritt is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2013
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2012
Edward Linenthal is a Professor of History and Religious Studies at Indiana University: Bloomington.
More about Edward Tabor Linenthal...
Preserving Memory: The Struggle to Create America's Holocaust Museum Sacred Ground: Americans and Their Battlefields History Wars: The Enola Gay and Other Battles for the American Past Symbolic Defense: The Cultural Significance of the Strategic Defense Initiative Changing Images Of The Warrior Hero In America: A History Of Popular Symbolism