Start by marking “Mistakes That Worked: 40 Familiar Inventions & How They Came to Be” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Mistakes That Worked: ...

Charlotte Foltz Jones
Preview

Mistakes That Worked: 40 Familiar Inventions & How They Came to Be

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Grade 4-6-- For those readers who feel as though they've yet to accomplish anything in life, these discoveries will come as a great relief. None of the inventions described in these pages were planned; in fact, some of the inventors had no idea they'd stumbled on something useful until years later, when their works became popular. Jones covers both patented inventions (Sil ...more
Paperback
Published by Diane Books Publishing Company (first published September 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Mistakes That Worked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistakes That Worked

Jeanne O'Hara
Genre: Non Fiction

This non fiction book would appeal to both boys and girls. It is full of facts about forty unintended discoveries. Chapter One, Tummy Fillers, explains how chocolate chip cookies, cheese, tea, and coca-cola, among other edible delights, were accidentally discovered. Other chapter are: Doctor, Doctor; Fun, Fun, Fun; All Kinds of Accidental Things; Where in the World?; and What they Wear. Discoveries include: aspirin, seeing eye dogs, x-rays, piggy banks, Ivory soap, post-it note
Terina
The 8yo started and finished this today because "this book is amazing Mom!" He was surprised how many mistakes involved science. Loved learning that chocolate chip cookies were a mistake too. He's planning to draw illustrations similar to the ones in the book because "they're really funny but tell you a little about the story at the same time." A book that caused this much enthusiasm in an 8yo who normally doesn't stray from graphic novels? Definitely amazing.
Aaron Beaulieu
I liked this book and gave it 5/5 because it was pretty easy and quick to read. I can't stand books with stories that aren't real, I like to learn real information. This was great because I never would've known something was actually accidently created. I would recommend this book, it's fairly easy and quick, about 75 pages and you learn something. So someone read this book.
John Nichols
"Mistakes that Worked" is a reminder that failure is not always the end. The work is geared toward tween and early teen readers, but I thoroughly enjoyed browsing through to see how some of the things we eat and use were originally created.

Parents this is an excellent resource for encouraging little Miss or Mister "I can't" to keep trying.
Sandra Strange
Another delightful and easy nonfiction book aimed at upper elementary/ middle school readers that is particularly appropriate for reluctant or challenged high school readers, this one gives short accounts (with quirky illustrations) of "accidental" inventions and discoveries such as PostIt notes, penicillin, and the "leaning" Tower of Pisa.
♥Xeni♥
As much as I loathed non-fiction works as a child, this was one book that I read over and over and over again. Why? It was quirky and fun and had some really odd things in it!

Ever wonder where chocolate chip cookies came from? Or why we use waffles as ice cream cones? Those were my two favorites to learn about, and I fear the only two examples that still come to mind.

From what I recall, the book had over 30 different 'mistakes that worked' neatly categorized, with amusing illustrations and writ
Rosa Cline
This book could actually be either an adult book or a child's book. It's very interesting with small (one page or less) stories of how various things were invented...from various foods, to toys, to medication, to even the names of towns in the US. Very interesting and simple stories to read and go 'Wow I didn't know that"... this book would be a good 'starter' book for a child for a Science project or for a starter idea to write about an essay for a school project. Lots of references to various ...more
Hyunsuh
A fun and quick read with an earthy and necessary message. For those who like to experiment, but may be afraid of failure, this book points out in a humorous and intelligent way that not all mistakes are bad, and an experiment that doesn't work isn't necessarily a failure. A great read, despite the creepiness of the illustrations.
Sophia
A book about different inventions and the stories behind it. This book can be used to read during the unit of inventions and how inventors changed the world. Inventors took many tries to come up with the final product so this is a wonderful book to read small stories from that can relate to real life situations about inventors.
Susannah Goldstein
A great idea for a book, but the execution could be stronger. I love the idea of a mistakes book, and I especially like the format, which lends itself to kids dipping in and out of the book when the mood strikes. However, the entries are not all equally strong, and some of the stories are a bit dated, and students will notice that.
Jenna 11-12
I really liked this book for three resons.

# 1: The stories were really entertaining.

# 2: They told me a bunch of fascinating fact's about the average everyday things.

# 3: Some of the mistakes are really funny and make me want to know more.

P.S. Did you know that penicillin is pertly mold?
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 159342 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 6.8 - AR Pts: 2.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Blakeley Norris
I think this is an extremely cute book. It could be used in Social Studies to help teach about inventions. It could be used as an introduction into inventions. It talks about silly inventions, but ones that will relate to children. I think they will really enjoy this book.
Loki
I can't find anything I can say about this one...
(I'm asking him for a review a couple of weeks after we finished reading this one. He did like reading it each night, but it might have been more interesting to an older child, who knows a bit more of the world.)
Leah
Both interesting and engaging enough to command an audience of three several nights in a row at our house. Written in a manner simple enough to make complex ideas like pennicilin understandable for our 9 yr old and yet it never bogs down with technical explanations.
Matt Mazenauer
An entertaining idea for a book, unfortunately there isn't really anything interesting written. All the research could probably have been found in an hour online. If anyone knows of a more interesting book in thie vein, let me know.
Annique
It has very funny mistakes in it! "Chocolate Chip Cookies" is my favorite, because Wakefield accidentally invented a chocolate chip cookie.
Alyssa
A bunch of great inventions that were not really planned on/pre-conceived. Fun illustrations and concise storytelling make this a great read for kids and families.
Anica
I think Clarlotte Foltz Jones did a very good job on this book because it was funny to read about how thing were made from mistakes like the leaning tower of pizza.
Lama Noureddine
I loved this book
It is a fast and very interesting book that will please all ages
Very well written
Teaches a lot of interesting information
Heavily recommended
Dawn
Sorry to say that I didn't get to finish this book. The good news though, is that my daughter stole it and her and her dad read it all the way through.
Aleesia
This was such an interesting book, about how many of the things we use in everyday life came about. A lot were mistakes!
April Scheivelhud
This is a very interesting book about inventions of the 20th century. My favorite story was about the origin of the post-it note!
Mas5thgrade2014
its so wired all this stuff that we still use today were all made from mistakes.
meapmanwithanxbox
Dotty
Great stories about inventions that came about as a result of someone’s mistake
Melissa
This is a great book to read with a child. We loved all the stories.
Maria
Great, quick read with lots of short segments.
Carol
Some of the "mistakes" were pretty interesting.
Shannon
Great book about accidental inventions!
  • Oh, Yikes!: History's Grossest Moments
  • Author: A True Story
  • So You Want To Be An Inventor?
  • The Planets in Our Solar System
  • There's a Frog in My Throat!: 440 Animal Sayings a Little Bird Told Me
  • Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci
  • Little Rock Girl 1957: How a Photograph Changed the Fight for Integration
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
  • Galapagos George
  • The Story of Science: Newton at the Center: Newton at the Center
  • Girls Think of Everything: Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Women
  • How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning
  • Living Color
Accidents May Happen: 50 Inventions Discovered By Mistake Fingerprints and Talking Bones The King Who Barked: Real Animals Who Ruled Eat Your Words: A Fascinating Look at the Language of Food Yukon Gold: The Story of the Klondike Gold Rush