Start by marking “Hikaru no Go, Vol. 23: Endgame (Hikaru no Go, #23)” as Want to Read:
Hikaru no Go, Vol. 23: Endgame (Hikaru no Go, #23)

Hikaru no Go, Vol. 23: Endgame (Hikaru no Go #23)

Endgame:
Hikaru is in the toughest battle of his life when he faces Ko Yong Ha, Korea's top player in the Hokuto Cup tournament. The stakes, however, aren't for personal glory but for something far deeper, something that differentiates a mere game from a way of life. Hikaru knows what this means to him, but will he understand what it means to the new wave of go players and
Published May 3rd 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published September 4th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Hikaru no Go, Vol. 23, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hikaru no Go, Vol. 23

Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn)

Frustrating and Unsatisfying manga. I've been DUPED.

I have never before felt so UNSATISFIED with a manga that I have been fairly enjoying. This manga managed to capture my attention eventhough I have zero knowledge about the boardgame it was centralised around. Yet it is also one to let me down terribly.

I felt cheated since I couldn't even have a lick at that dangling carrot the mangaka had used throughout the story to command her reader's interest. Reading this manga has ZERO rewards since cha
David
The End. So, this is partly a rating for the last volume in the series, Volume 23, "Endgame," and partly a rating for the entire series, and overall, I give it a 3.5. There were some really inspiring moments and some games I really enjoyed, and on average it was, while not brilliant, enjoyable as heck, and I have to give this series major props for doing what nothing else has in the last 20 years, and inspired me to take up go again.

But, the fact is that the series kind of rolled to a halt with
Amber
May 20, 2012 Amber rated it did not like it
Andrea
Jul 20, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A pretty solid graphic novel series. You have to acknowledge that making a reader excited about something so mundane and unfamiliar as an ancient Chinese board game takes skill. I liked it the first time when I read it about ten years ago, and I really enjoyed it this time around. It does end on a kind of open-ended note, but I seriously doubt there was a need to outline Hikaru's entire career until his eventual triumph. It says so in the last few volumes, the road to success in go never ends. H ...more
Lorien
Apr 30, 2015 Lorien rated it it was amazing
WOW! Who would've thought a board game similar to chess would have such an amazing and interesting manga! We start with two kids, one a serious go player, and another a regular kid who'd never heard of it...until the ghost of the greatest player of all time is stuck in his head, following him around. Hilarity, seriousness, tragedy, and drama out the wazoo makes this a great series. I'm sad to see that it's over, but boy what a ride!

Hikaru starts as a goofball, and while he has his moments we wat
Meredith
Francis
Aug 22, 2014 Francis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Yes, it's a manga about 12-year-olds playing an ancient chinese board game. Yes, I love almost everything about it. No, you don't need to understand anything about the game of Go to read it. This kid named Hikaru is possessed by the ghost of an ancient Go master, and they become best friends, and Hikaru's latent go potential is slowly revealed, and he has a rival who's a super intense Go prodigy, and basically it's amazing. Yumi Hotta understands tension and pacing and her characters are multifa ...more
Sky
Aug 22, 2016 Sky rated it liked it
I was mixed on the ending. It was an OK bittersweet conclusion to the series, but felt more like the end of a story arc than the end of the entire series. I wonder if it had planned to go on further but wrapped up early for some reason. I guess I'll read up on wikipedia and see if there is any continuation, or if the anime ended any better.
Gabriel Fequiere
Dec 05, 2016 Gabriel Fequiere rated it liked it
Peter
Nov 12, 2016 Peter rated it it was amazing
Great ending to this manga series. Sorry there are no more. I'd like to keep following the characters. I'd definitely like to play more go, now.
Vanessa
May 18, 2016 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
This review is for the series as a whole and will include small spoilers. Anything major will be under a cut, though!

This series is one - if not THE - favorite manga of mine. It has everything: Lovable characters who undergo actual development, a great story and lots of tension (I know I'm referring to a boardgame here. Who would have thought?). Of course the art also leaves nothing to be desired. I can read it over and over again and never get bored.

The main protagonist starts out as the typica
Cody
Jan 03, 2017 Cody rated it it was ok
I started this series years ago and just recently came back to it. I particularly enjoyed it but the ending was awful. It's shaman king all over again. :((( way too many questions left unanswered.
Hallie
May 18, 2012 Hallie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-manga
David
Sep 09, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
Wow, I finally finished my Hikaru-no-Go reading marathon. From 1998 through 2003, Takeshi Obata produced 4,500+ pages of highly detailed art about the game of Go. I still find it hard to believe a series like this exists, and that I didn't know about it until just a month ago.

The story begins with young Hikaru discovering an old blood-stained Go board that contained the spirit of Fujiwara-no-Sai. Sai, a Go master, then possesses Hikaru, and begins to teach him the game. This forms a very likable
Kris
Oct 25, 2013 Kris rated it liked it
I've finished a few other manga series and I was looking forward to finally finishing this one, and I have to report it doesn't really stack up all that well. The Hokuto Cup storyline has been really interesting, and as an ending to that particular arc this volume was fine. But as an ending to the entire manga? It promises more that will never come. It's a sudden ending that leaves all these little threads loose. Maybe Hikaru will tell someone about Sai someday, but we'll never get to see it. Ma ...more
Nov 11, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
Unfortunately, the last book of the series was my least favorite. There were a lot of things I would have preferred to this ending. (view spoiler) ...more
ervan
Feb 17, 2012 ervan rated it really liked it
Hmm baru aja selesai. Gimana ya. Sebenernya yang menarik saya buat nyelesaiin cerita ini adalah waktu dulu masih tayang kartunnya di tv. Jalan cerita ngga terlalu istimewa ato menyentuh gimana, tapi atleast saya ngga bosen nyelesaiinnya.
awalnya saya kira, kalo cerita ini stop di chapter 139 (ato pertengahan 140?) bisa lumayan bagus sih (just in my opinion ya) soalnya di chapter-chapter berikutnya kurang greget ceritanya. Cuma tetep sih waktu endingnya yang "gituh aja" emang rada bikin kecewa.
Sat
Sophie
May 28, 2011 Sophie rated it really liked it
Huh. I have to say the ending was a bit unexpected, and I can see why some people might not like it, but like with the ending of Angel and The Sopranos, it actually made sense to end it like this.

Now, about this series: I had so much fun reading it. This is important because I've tried reading manga before but never found one that had me hooked like this one. I loved everything about it - the characters, the tournaments, the characters... I loved Hikaru and Akira, and I loved how connected they
Patrick Hoecherl
Oct 02, 2016 Patrick Hoecherl rated it it was amazing
Vi
Jul 07, 2011 Vi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
This is the final volume of Hikaru no Go.

Hikaru and the other two friends are representing Japan in a Go tournament against Korea. Hikaru insits on playing against his old enemy who disparaged Hikaru's ghostly teacher, Sai. Will Hikaru win this game?

The final vignette is a story of two young kids who idolize Hikaru and his peers and want to be the next Go champion.

Fun series and I have been waiting for this ending for a long time.
Serge Pierro
Sep 19, 2013 Serge Pierro rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, go
So this is the last book in the series and it ends with a ...... thud. Although the ending is open for a possible sequel, there was no resolution to any of the story-lines and left me wanting more! An excellent volume nonetheless, but -1 star for how it ends. Maybe one day the artistic team will pick this project up again and continue the series towards a more resolved ending. All in all, a very highly recommended series!!!
Salimbol
Jun 24, 2012 Salimbol rated it liked it
[3 1/2 stars] A solid finish to a solid series. With the fantasy elements (always used sparingly) increasingly downplayed in the final third of its run, it's shifted more fully into the traditional modes of sports manga - but given 'go' is a very cerebral sport indeed, that's more than enough to keep it fresh and interesting (even to someone who knows nothing about the game beyond what's she's encountered in the manga!). It's been a pleasure to revisit this series and (finally) finish it off .
Chris Aylott
Jul 22, 2012 Chris Aylott rated it really liked it
And so the long story comes to an end. (I've been reading Hikaru no Go off and on since the days of the store, at least seven years now.) It's a good ending. The last few installments take a more philosophical turn, as Hikaru slowly comes to understand that the journey is more important than the destination or the setbacks you encounter along the way. A simple lesson, perhaps, but despite being almost three times older than Hikaru Shindo I'm still struggling to learn it.
Susan
Aug 11, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: shonen_jump
This is a little frustrating because rather than tying up any loose plots, Obata and Hotta leave the series on an open note, with Hikaru and Akira inspiring young players and impressing foreign players. It's hopeful for the future of Go, but maybe a letdown for fans who wanted to see the divine move, or have resolution to the rivalry.
Ben Nash
This story is comfort food for me. I can't quite put my finger on what keeps me rereading/rewatching this and the anime, but my interest in Go certainly helps. I also like that it's a generally positive story about getting good at something.
Paul
May 09, 2011 Paul rated it it was ok
Jorge Rosal
Sep 21, 2015 Jorge Rosal rated it really liked it
Not the kind of ending I expected. Makes me wanting more. So sad this is the last chapter released. Don't know if the author intentionally end it this way but hopefully he will continued the next volume.
Julie
Aug 12, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: to-re-read, manga
A fantastic series, albeit short of a fantastic ending. :(
So many unanswered questions, and I felt that the ending was too open-ended. I neeeed a sequel, although it will probably never happen (cough fanfiction cough).
Stanimir Parvanov
Nov 08, 2014 Stanimir Parvanov rated it really liked it
yeah the ending frankly sucked. This is one of the best mangas I've read, and I don't know the story behind the sudden ending, but it felt like someone cut the funding of the author and it was decided to end the story a few days before the final chapter was released.
Owenmd
Feb 16, 2016 Owenmd rated it it was ok
  • Whistle!, Vol. 4
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 04 (Yotsuba&! #4)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 11: Premonition of a Storm (The Prince of Tennis, #11)
  • Yakitate!! Japan, Volume 3
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 006 (Pluto, #6)
  • Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, Volume 8 (Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, #8)
  • Guru Guru Pon-Chan, Volume 1
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 22 (Hunter x Hunter, #22)
  • Saiyuki Reload, Volume 4
Yumi Hotta (堀田 由美 Hotta Yumi, most often written as ほった ゆみ) is a Japanese mangaka, best known as the author of the best-selling manga and anime series Hikaru no Go, about the game of go that is widely credited for the recent boom of the game in Japan. The idea behind Hikaru no Go began when Yumi Hotta played a pick-up game of go with her father-in-law. She thought that it might be fun to create a ...more
More about Yumi Hotta...

Hikaru no Go (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 1: Descent of the Go Master (Hikaru no Go, #1)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 2: First Battle (Hikaru no Go, #2)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 3: Preliminary Scrimmage (Hikaru no Go, #3)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 4: Divine Illusions (Hikaru no Go, #4)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 5: Start (Hikaru no Go, #5)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 6: The Insei Exam (Hikaru no Go, #6)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 7: The Young Lions Tournament (Hikaru no Go, #7)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 8: The Pro Test Preliminaries: Day Four (Hikaru no Go, #8)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 9: The Pro Test Begins (Hikaru no Go, #9)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 10: Lifeline (Hikaru no Go, #10)