Hikaru no Go, Vol. 23: Endgame (Hikaru No Go, #23)

Hikaru no Go, Vol. 23: Endgame (Hikaru no Go #23)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  308 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Endgame: Hikaru is in the toughest battle of his life when he faces Ko Yong Ha, Korea's top player in the Hokuto Cup tournament. The stakes, however, aren't for personal glory but for something far deeper, something that differentiates a mere game from a way of life. Hikaru knows what this means to him, but will he understand what it means to the new wave of go players and...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published September 2003)

David
The End. So, this is partly a rating for the last volume in the series, Volume 23, "Endgame," and partly a rating for the entire series, and overall, I give it a 3.5. There were some really inspiring moments and some games I really enjoyed, and on average it was, while not brilliant, enjoyable as heck, and I have to give this series major props for doing what nothing else has in the last 20 years, and inspired me to take up go again.

But, the fact is that the series kind of rolled to a halt with...more
Meredith
Amber
May 20, 2012 Amber rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Hallie
Kris
I've finished a few other manga series and I was looking forward to finally finishing this one, and I have to report it doesn't really stack up all that well. The Hokuto Cup storyline has been really interesting, and as an ending to that particular arc this volume was fine. But as an ending to the entire manga? It promises more that will never come. It's a sudden ending that leaves all these little threads loose. Maybe Hikaru will tell someone about Sai someday, but we'll never get to see it. Ma...more
Unfortunately, the last book of the series was my least favorite. There were a lot of things I would have preferred to this ending. (view spoiler)...more
Sophie
Huh. I have to say the ending was a bit unexpected, and I can see why some people might not like it, but like with the ending of Angel and The Sopranos, it actually made sense to end it like this.

Now, about this series: I had so much fun reading it. This is important because I've tried reading manga before but never found one that had me hooked like this one. I loved everything about it - the characters, the tournaments, the characters... I loved Hikaru and Akira, and I loved how connected they...more
ervan
Hmm baru aja selesai. Gimana ya. Sebenernya yang menarik saya buat nyelesaiin cerita ini adalah waktu dulu masih tayang kartunnya di tv. Jalan cerita ngga terlalu istimewa ato menyentuh gimana, tapi atleast saya ngga bosen nyelesaiinnya.
awalnya saya kira, kalo cerita ini stop di chapter 139 (ato pertengahan 140?) bisa lumayan bagus sih (just in my opinion ya) soalnya di chapter-chapter berikutnya kurang greget ceritanya. Cuma tetep sih waktu endingnya yang "gituh aja" emang rada bikin kecewa.
Sat...more
Salimbol
[3 1/2 stars] A solid finish to a solid series. With the fantasy elements (always used sparingly) increasingly downplayed in the final third of its run, it's shifted more fully into the traditional modes of sports manga - but given 'go' is a very cerebral sport indeed, that's more than enough to keep it fresh and interesting (even to someone who knows nothing about the game beyond what's she's encountered in the manga!). It's been a pleasure to revisit this series and (finally) finish it off .
Chris Aylott
And so the long story comes to an end. (I've been reading Hikaru no Go off and on since the days of the store, at least seven years now.) It's a good ending. The last few installments take a more philosophical turn, as Hikaru slowly comes to understand that the journey is more important than the destination or the setbacks you encounter along the way. A simple lesson, perhaps, but despite being almost three times older than Hikaru Shindo I'm still struggling to learn it.
Vi
This is the final volume of Hikaru no Go.

Hikaru and the other two friends are representing Japan in a Go tournament against Korea. Hikaru insits on playing against his old enemy who disparaged Hikaru's ghostly teacher, Sai. Will Hikaru win this game?

The final vignette is a story of two young kids who idolize Hikaru and his peers and want to be the next Go champion.

Fun series and I have been waiting for this ending for a long time.
Serge Pierro
So this is the last book in the series and it ends with a ...... thud. Although the ending is open for a possible sequel, there was no resolution to any of the story-lines and left me wanting more! An excellent volume nonetheless, but -1 star for how it ends. Maybe one day the artistic team will pick this project up again and continue the series towards a more resolved ending. All in all, a very highly recommended series!!!
Susan
This is a little frustrating because rather than tying up any loose plots, Obata and Hotta leave the series on an open note, with Hikaru and Akira inspiring young players and impressing foreign players. It's hopeful for the future of Go, but maybe a letdown for fans who wanted to see the divine move, or have resolution to the rivalry.
Paul
Melissa
終わりです。ちょっとがっかりしたんですが、悪いエンディングとは言えない。ただ、まだ読み続けたいんです。本当にいい旅でした。
That wasn't satisfying. I need more...
Michael
A worthy series for manga and Go fans.
Sarah added it
Jul 16, 2014
ReadingFrog
ReadingFrog marked it as to-read
Morgan
Morgan added it
Chloe
Chloe added it
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Flame
Flame marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 3: Street Tennis (The Prince of Tennis, #3)
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 18 (Hunter x Hunter, #18)
Yumi Hotta (堀田 由美 Hotta Yumi, most often written as ほった ゆみ) is a Japanese mangaka, best known as the author of the best-selling manga and anime series Hikaru no Go, about the game of go that is widely credited for the recent boom of the game in Japan. The idea behind Hikaru no Go began when Yumi Hotta played a pick-up game of go with her father-in-law. She thought that it might be fun to create a...more
More about Yumi Hotta...
Hikaru no Go, Vol. 01: Descent of the Go Master Hikaru no Go, Vol. 02: First Battle (Hikaru no Go, #2) Hikaru no Go, Vol. 04: Divine Illusions (Hikaru no Go, #4) Hikaru no Go, Vol. 03: Preliminary Scrimmage (Hikaru no Go, #3) Hikaru no Go, Vol. 05: Start (Hikaru no Go, #5)