Start by marking “Knitting for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Knitting for Dummies

Knitting for Dummies

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  471 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Whether you're just picking up knitting needles for the first time or you've been knitting for years, "Knitting For Dummies, 2nd Edition," will be your pattern for knitting success. Have you always wanted to knit, but are just not sure how or where to start? Have you been knitting for years and want to perfect your stitches? As a beginner you will learn... the tools of the ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by For Dummies (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Knitting for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting for Dummies

Kathryn
I was lucky enough to snag the ebook on sale at amazon for .99. I've flipped through a hardcopy version of the book a number of times and always thought it was a little too expensive. Learning to knit from a book sounds odd and for beginners, it will most definitely feel so, at least at first. This book is a wonderful resource for beginners and those who are ready to learn the basics of larger and more intermediate projects. I had not picked up my needles for a few years before I bought this boo ...more
Ginny Messina
I'll probably update my review when I eventually finish this book, but I expect that to be some months from now. Pam Allen's guide is packed with information and instruction that will take me a long time to learn. So far, I am using it to brush up on my very rudimentary knitting skills and am finding the book to be excellent. The instructions are clear, there are lots of great hints on solving problems and avoiding mistakes, and the illustrations are wonderful.

I've been using it along with the
Tracy
It is handy for a guide for learning to knit, but I had to use it along with a few really good You Tube channels as some of the directions were confusing and made no sense to me. I already did know how to do some very basic knitting, which helped. There were some errors in the practice pieces which I did, and the directions for the practice pieces didn't always match what they showed on the dummies website which leads me to think there were a few more errors in the ones that I didn't do. It woul ...more
Lauren
Never have i ever... learned anything from a book.

Until now. This book takes the fine art of weaving one piece of string into hats and scarves and sweaters, and makes it infinitely easy. It takes you from "This is a knit stitch. This is a purl stitch," to "This is how you make a cable-knit sweater," all in a few deceptively easy steps.

The best twenty bucks i've ever spent.
Shobha Tummala
I did learn how to knit from this book, but it is so hard to learn from a book. I had been part of a class sometime after that and it was so much easier. If you want to learn how to knit, my recommendation is to go take a class!
Pam

This is my go-to reference book for knitting help. I use it all the time. It also has a helpful little library of stitch patterns I've made into scarves, cloths, etc.
TKay
This is a good book for the beginner who knows absolutely nothing. I'm an expert crocheter, and my grandmother taught me the basics of knitting when I was a kid; I hadn't done it for years and read this book for review. I skipped over a lot of it because I really didn't need to know about yarn, etc. Also, the black-and-white pictures were grainy and hard to see. However, it does have a lot of useful information so I'd recommend it to someone starting from scratch.
Jenny Houle
My really long review just vanished...go figure.

My favorite part of the book is that there is a chapter on how to eleviate common knitting stress pains, throughout the hands, shoulders and neck. However, it's a great reference book for even experienced knitters who, late at night, look at a term in a pattern and go "I should know how to do this, but...."
Sarahanne
I think I wasn't at the right level of dummy for this book. Half the info was too basic. The rest confused me. A lot.

I've used other books in the series to good result but this one missed the mark. Could be the nature of knitting? Could be user error? Could be a mismatch between the authors' brains and mine.
Tiffany
My favorite resource book for knitting. I still go back to this book when I need a refresher for how to do something. I highly recommend having it in your library at any knitting level.
Dianne urquhart
Helping people knit

It explains things very well. I liked how the chapters progressed. I feel that it is a good tool for a learning knitter.
Poivree
This book really helped push my skills to a new level. I am more confident about trying new patterns since having read and tried done if the strategies described.
Val
A must have for knitters just learning and the more advanced. Basics set out with good instructions and pictures. Also includes patterns.
Michael Laflamme
A great learning to tool for beginners and and a wonderful go-to for quick tips and refreshers.
Beth F.
Aug 15, 2008 Beth F. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most knitters!
Shelves: knitting
Unless you have immediate access to an experienced knitter to help you through your growing pains, this book is a must-have for new/beginner knitters and an excellent reference for intermediate and more experienced knitters. It has easy-to-understand diagrams and explanations that actually make sense. It also makes an excellent reference (although the diagrams for the kitchener stitch are confusing to me—check out the how-to on www.knitty.com, I use that one every time I need to kitchener someth ...more
Tara
I love this book! It is so easy to use. I already knew how to knit before I got this book, so I don't know how effective it is for true beginners. As a refresher resource it's perfect. And it's taught me quite a few things I didn't already know. I can't give it 5 stars because I occasionally have to use internet videos to supplement the figures that I sometimes have a hard time deciphering.
Fauza
Bukunya lumayan bagus buat yang mau belajar knitting. Di awal-awal dijelaskan tentang sedikit history knitting, macam-macam yarn and needlenya. Cuma kalau buat yang beneran baru belajar knitting mungkin membaca saja tidak cukup, tapi alangkah lebih baik kalau ditambah dengan belajar dari video di youtube misalnya. Soalnya teknik-teknik knittingnya kurang begitu jelas kalau cuma dilihat dari gambar.
Sue K
This is one of my "go to" books for finding information that I need. I keep it by my knitting bassket so that I can refer to it easily when I need to. The nstructions are easy to follow and relatively easy to find when you need a quick answer to "what does that abbreviation mean?" or "how do you do that stitch?"
I have always been a fan of the "Dummies" books and this one does not disappoint.
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
I read this in hopes I would learn to knit.

I think I'm the type that needs to SEE a stitch done, and hence a teacher. Also, my natural inclination is not either of the two "standard" methods (English and Continental) covered in this book.

It's not totally useless, but I don't use it very often.
Melany
Between using this book and a couple of video tutorials on the net I've basically been able to teach myself to knit. The instructions are easy to follow, and the book does a good job with explaining different techniques so that if one doesn't work for you, you can try something different.
Ginny
Jan 28, 2009 Ginny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn how to knit!!
Shelves: craftiness
I cannot say enough good things about this book!!!!! It has really helped me ease into knitting. The illustrations are very helpful, the patterns are great, what more can I say! I have made several scarves and plan on venturing out into something a little more challenging, like a hat.
Earl
As a rank beginner this book did not help me get started. Fortunately I had a couple of friends who assisted me and provided more helpful materials. My aim was to keep hands busy in front of tv to avoid stuffing junk food into my face. No luck - I HAVE to watch what my hands are doing.
Kristine
Very helpful resource for knitting wannabes and those who are more experienced. I keep it on my shelf to refer to when stuck on a new technique or to review something I'm a bit rusty with. Would give 5 stars if, instead of paperback, was spiral bound so it would lay flat while in use!
K
Like most of the "for Dummies" series, the layout of this book is hideous, which is too bad because there is so much useful information in it. Especially strong in describing how to fix mistakes and create complex patterns. Good reference for both beginners and more advanced knitters.
Deirdre
There are two different editions of this work and they differ slightly. The second edition has more web resources and shares a few patterns but has a few more in total. It also seems to be better organise and flow for the learner in a better way.
Quiltgranny
This is my first "Dummies" book, and I must say I won't hesitate the next time I need an instruction book for anything. It will be a great reference resource for me to keep on my knitting shelf, and to lend to friends who need help, too.
Jasmine
This book was easy to understand in the way that it was written to teach a reader how to knit. I may have rated it higher except for the fact that I got it as an ebook and none of the tables showed up so I had no visuals to go by
Lee
This was a pretty good introduction to the basic materials and techniques. I completed a simple project from the book and it turned out well. I did not read it cover to cover but will use the book for reference.
Barbara
Received this as a gift. A decent, but not necessarily, comprehensive resource. I am surprised at how often I use it -- often, it's easier to open it up and lay it out in front of me, than to fire up the laptop :-)
Holly
This is one of my all-time, go-to knitting instruction reference books. Good clear diagrams and basic instruction. I taught myself to knit using this book years ago and refer back to it whenever I have a question.
  • Crocheting For Dummies
  • The Knitting Experience: Book 2: The Purl Stitch
  • Teach Yourself Visually Knitting (Teach Yourself Visually)
  • Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book
  • Big Book of Knitting
  • Knitting in Plain English
  • 2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle Works for any Sock Pattern!
  • Big Girl Knits : 25 Big, Bold Projects Shaped for Real Women with Real Curves
  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
  • Knit Fix
  • Cables Untangled: An Exploration of Cable Knitting
  • Stitch 'n Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles: A Manual of Elegant Knitting Techniques and Patterns
  • Folk Shawls
  • The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques
  • Handknit Holidays: Knitting Year-Round for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Winter Solstice
Scarf Style Lace Style Wrap Style Bag Style: 20 Inspirational handbags, totes, and carry-alls to knit and crochet Knitting For Dummies: Mini Edition