Start by marking “Zombie Nights” as Want to Read:
Zombie Nights

Read Book* *Different edition

Zombie Nights

"Being a zombie, not so easy". That could have been Dave Connor's six word memoir. "At first he couldn't remember how he'd ended up in that shallow grave; he just knew it was hell to claw his way out, and that the taste of its dirt would remain in his mouth for the rest of his time on this earth" ... Expect the unexpected in this existential resurrection thriller.

The Book'
Published (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Zombie Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombie Nights

Midu Hadi
Sep 25, 2011 Midu Hadi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: zombie fans
This is a highly entertaining short story and instantly made me want to start reading other books by the same author. The author didn't waste time in describing things that weren't important to the story and I loved how he was able to let us feel how dangerous the bad guys/bullies were, even while laughing at them. All I'm saying is I want more!
Scott Roberts
Oct 28, 2014 Scott Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is good. I give this book 5 stars.
Vannessa
This was a short novella but a fairly fun read. Dave wakes up buried in a grave and eventually digs himself out. He has no recollection of who he is, what he is doing in the grave, where he is or anything. He wanders around and ends up going to his uncle's house. It's familiar to him, but he doesn't know why. He can't talk, doesn't feel hunger or thirst and the only way initially that he can communicate is through writing. Everything has to be relearned and he just wanders around at night (the d ...more
Dan
Jul 10, 2010 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You ever wake up feeling like a zombie? Your head isn't clear, you stumble around in the dark, and you smell like death(okay maybe not quite death). Dave Conner rolls over in his grave (quite literally) and starts walking around but has no clue how he got there. He ends up at the house of a family member who takes him in despite his peculiar odors and sloughing skin (and the oozing hole in his abdomen). Dave can't remember anything about himself or the life he had. His story unfolds as he wander ...more
Randy Harmelink
If you're looking for a zombie apocalypse type story or a gory brain-eating zombie story, this one is not for you.

This is a story about one person who "wakes up" in a grave as a zombie, with no idea who or what he is. But he is able to learn things, and slowly the story unfolds and tells us how he ended up in the grave.

I found it interesting, but lacking in depth. I agree with other reviewers that the ending was rather abrupt and unsatisfying.

I didn't notice the numerous editing errors others ha
Lori
Feb 13, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I read in another review, it's short but fun to read. Considering how many books I've zipped through recently, this story is memorable.
chucklesthescot
For all of you out there like me who picked this book based on the title, let me give you a heads up. This is not a gory zombie story with the living dead eating people. This is not about a guy who is a zombie wanting to or trying to eat his loved ones. It is a dead guy wandering around with little memory of his life and with no purpose, who crosses paths with various thugs, lowlifes and gangsters that he knew before he died. And that's about it. I'd call it a gangster book with a dead guy in it ...more
Cathy (cathepsut)
"Being a zombie, not so easy. That could have been Dave Connor's six word memoir. Expect the unexpected in this existential resurrection thriller."

Short story downloaded for free from Smashwords. A different take on your usual zombie story. The main character starts his 'life', when he claws out of a shallow grave. He does not know who he is or what happened to him, he just follows his instincts...

I liked the writing style and the main plot. There are some side plots that don't go anywhere and
Lainy
Aug 27, 2011 Lainy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dave Connor awakes to find himself buried, as he fights to claw himself out he discovers a wound that undoubtidly put him in there (along with the person who inflicted said wound). Puzzled as to who he is, what happened to him and where he is Dave stumbles around in the dark until he finds something he feels familiar with.

The story progresses with Dave discovering his previous life, how to communicate and fit in with life as he is now. Although he is a "zombie" I wouldn't have put this in with z
mirbass
May 06, 2011 mirbass rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, zombies, ebook, 2011
Rough around the edges (read: poorly edited), this short story was only 81 pages on my iPad, including title pages, & yet boasted at least ten characters that seemed to come & go like zombies in the night... (Er... *shrug*) Ultimately, this short story had way too many characters, & I felt the ending was rather abrupt. It also seemed to be lacking a purpose, & details within the story often contradicted other details (eg., the zombie is described early on as completely lacking a ...more
C.M. Brown
Zombie Nights, by Tom Lichtenberg has an appealing charm, but is a thriller with twists. It tells the tale of Dave Connor's. Poor Dave was murdered by a gang of no good thugs, and left in a shallow grave in a park, dead!

Of course Dave rises and becomes a Zombie, but not the Walking Dead type, he is a little different. Dave expresses to readers how a Zombie feels, thinks, moves, etc. It is quite a different perspective on the world of Zombies.

He finds a place to live with his Uncle, when he just
Sam
Jun 22, 2010 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, shorts
A new and different take on the traditional zombie story, it starts at the grave of Dave Connor as he wakes up, crawls out of his grave and makes his way to the home of a family member although he can't remember who he is or anything of his former life and is working on instinct alone. His uncle takes him in despite is perculiar look, odour and the gapping hole in his abdomen (not to mention the bits of skin flaking off him) and tries to help him get his 'life' back on track. Told through the ey ...more
Aubrey
This story was poorly edited; this made it difficult to tell definitively whether it was also poorly written, or if the consistently missing punctuation, and occasionally missing words, were more of an issue.

Characters were added in a seemingly random fashion; for such a short novel (60 pages on my ereader), there didn't seem to be much space to be adding so many people - I would start to get accustomed to the presence of one character, only to have another side-story line added in the next chap
Eva
Jun 21, 2012 Eva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Dave is not your average zombie. He doesn't eat brains (or anything else, for that matter). After being murdered by a local gang, he rises from his grave and returns back to the only family he has left, an uncle. He learns to speak almost normally from daytime television and and at night, he wanders the streets, trying to help the less fortunate among the living. He makes friends.

Dave crawled out of the grave one day and becomes a better human than he ever was. But, unfortunately for Dave, the g
Sam
Jan 05, 2011 Sam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Chelsea
Jun 12, 2011 Chelsea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Wow, was that terrible. Not only was the grammar and spell-check non-existent, but the plot was just plain dry. I've never been into reading zombie novels, and I only read this one to complete my A-Z book challenge "z" letter requirement, but I sincerely hope all zombie books are not like this one. There was practically no action at all, and when there was it was completely boring. It seems like there may be a sequel by the way it ends, but you certainly won't find me reading it. At least I coul ...more
Samantha Parrish
Jun 23, 2014 Samantha Parrish rated it liked it
Eh...not much to say.

The book definitely has an interesting take on the whole zombie aspect. It would have made for a very interesting novel. I feel like the author was headed that way...setting up some characters,some conflict, etc, but then for whatever reason just gave up and wrote a sloppy ending that doesn't really tie in. I would love for the author to refinish this book in novel form. I would definitely read that!
Katlynn Parsons
Mar 08, 2014 Katlynn Parsons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: smashwords
'Zombie Nights' caught my eye for two reasons. The first being my love for a good Zombie story. The second for being so short. I was craving a short, interesting read to start my day.

Tom Lichtenberg gave me exactly what I was looking for.

Following Dave's thought process as he relearns how to act human is a fascinating twist on a zombie story. I didn't much like the twist ending but overall a great read.
Criss Rosenlof
The book started well, and aside from the seeming random additions of new characters/story lines, clipped along nicely... until the end. Completely random, and made no real sense.

I would have enjoyed a longer novel, in which we could explore the side stories, but all in all not a bad read. It just could have been better.

Somewhat disappointed.

-Papa Bear
Katy H
Feb 25, 2013 Katy H rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, 2013, short-stories
More of a short story than a book, this was an interesting take on the usual zombie story. I didn't feel all that strongly about it one way or the other. If I had to choose one emotion to describe my feelings towards this I'd probably go with 'sad'. I did like "Eddie"/Dave but there are only a very few people to whom I'd recommend it.
Audra
Apr 07, 2013 Audra rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in the book. I did not enjoy it because it did not fulfill my expectations of what I thought a book about zombies would be.I was forcing myself to finish this one.

I didn't like the characters because of their personalities.I did find their actions possible if I held all else as possible.
Netanella
Oct 14, 2010 Netanella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Dave the zombie crawls out of his grave and walks around town. He finds his uncle who dresses him up and puts deodorant on him. Dave walks around some more and meets random people form his living life. Strange short story, but also kinda boring. What bothered me was why didn't any more pieces fall off of Dave as he was decomposing?
Nesie
Apr 09, 2012 Nesie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
"Existential Resurrection Thriller"? Not so much. Existential, yes. Thriller? No.

I give the author props for great characters & descriptive prose. The plot here is nonexistent at best, and what could have been existential ends up dull and pointless.

Luckily it's a short novella.
Bernadette
Not at all what i expected. It was a short read, under 100 pages but it had way to many people in the book. The main character is a zombie but doesn't remember how he got buried and so on. I wasn't sure if i was happy about the ending or i was happy that it ended.
K.
Aug 06, 2015 K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was advertised as being the most-downloaded on Smashwords, so I was curious. It is a bittersweet zombie story which is thoughtful and full of atmosphere. It is not perfect but powerful. I found it highly entertaining and fun, easy to read.
Albert Yates
Nov 17, 2015 Albert Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies, horror
a highly entertaining short story about Dave and how he dealt with coming back to life, reclaiming who he was, and making friends.

I expected Dave to eat a couple of people along the way, but was pleasantly surprised when that didn't happen.
Keith
Jul 02, 2015 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Dave is killed and rises from the dead as a zombie. However, he is not a typical zombie. He is now a zombie that does not engage in the usual activities. The short story had an unexpected ending.
Celine
May 14, 2012 Celine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars.
Bob Phule
Dec 30, 2014 Bob Phule rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh, I read this ... book?
Nigel Baker
Quick fun read in the genre of the time
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 305
  • Spalding's Scary Shorts
  • The Gateway (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #1 novella length)
  • Are You Positive?
  • Demons and Other Inconveniences
  • Spirit Thorn (A Tale of Parallel Worlds)
  • The Silver Ring
  • The Undead: Zombie Anthology
  • Spooks and Magic (Alana Weatherbee, #2)
  • Into the Abyss (Rogue Hunter: Gaia #1)
  • The Dying Times (The Survivor Chronicles. #1)
  • The Demon Queen And The Locksmith
  • Necrophobia (Zombie Apocalypse #1)
  • After Dark
  • Monster in the Mirror
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • Blindsight (Mirus, #1.3)
  • 101 Tips for Traveling with a Vampire
I've written a lot of stories, and one thing I've learned is that stories have a life. They want to be read, and they're brought to life by readers. Readers give them meaning, give them substance and fulfill their destinies. Stories aren't picky about who reads them. They welcome everyone. Money means nothing to them - they don't care how much the reader paid and they equally don't care how much t ...more
More about Tom Lichtenberg...

“Nothing to it", Dennis sighed. "Find him. Chop his head off. Stick him in the ground again, and this time don't forget the orange peel."
"Lemon", Rags replied.
"Orange", Dennis insisted. "It's only lemon the first go around. Second time orange. Third time lime."
"Third time?", Rags said nervously.
"Sometimes it doesn't take", Dennis said.”
1 likes
“I thought you killed that boy", he finally grumbled.
"I did kill him", Rags said. "Dead as doughnuts. Buried him too, just like you told me."
"And you sprinkled the grave site with jalapenos and lemon peel?"
"Lemon peel?", Rags stuttered. "I don't remember anything about lemon peel!".
Dennis was silent for quite some time. Rags glanced nervously about him, wishing he was anywhere but there. He realized he'd screwed up, but the whole thing was a mystery to him. He was extremely superstitious, but even his ignorance had its limits. 'Lemon peel?' He thought to himself, 'come on, that is just ridiculous'.
Dennis might have read his mind, because he spoke up in a slightly louder tone to indicate his maximum rage. "Jalapeno to burn his soul, of course. Lemon peel to keep him in the ground!”
1 likes