Start by marking “The Ring of Brightest Angels Around Heaven: A Novella and Stories” as Want to Read:
The Ring of Brightest Angels Around Heaven: A Novella and Stories

The Ring of Brightest Angels Around Heaven: A Novella and Stories

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  422 ratings  ·  26 reviews
On the occasion of the paperback release of Demonology, Back Bay Books takes pleasure in making all four of Rick Moody's acclaimed earlier works of fiction available in handsome new paperback editions.
Published April 10th 2002 by Back Bay Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring of Brightest Angels Around Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring of Brightest Angels Around Heaven

Rand
(view spoiler) ...more
Brent Legault
This is a very silly book made sillier still by its yearning to be taken seriously evident on every page. Another problem it has is its obsession with the technology and pop culture of its time, already 20 years old and embarrassing to behold, even by a reader like me who remembers some of it. I imagine a similar story, written in the late 1800's, about a young couple having a telephone installed in their brownstone apartment and the first call they make is to a bicycle shop which they find in a ...more
Dr Gym Van Coen
Oct 29, 2007 Dr Gym Van Coen added it
Recommends it for: fans of james dean, fans of garage rock
james dean garage band is the standout
Tiny Pants
No one's more shocked than me that I gave this one star -- I mean, I own nearly every book by the man, have read all the others too, and for many years would have described Moody as one of my favorite authors. Thinking harder though, I guess it's been a few years now since I would have made that claim. And while I am pretty positive I liked The Diviners, I am more than certain I hated this collection.

A few of the pieces ("The Preliminary Notes", "A Good Story") are quite familiar from college cr
orsodimondo
WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
Holly came from Miami FLA
Hitchhiked her way across the USA
Plucked her eyebrows on the way,
shaved her legs and then he was a she.
Candy came from out on the island.
In the backroom, she was everybody's darling.
But she never lost her head,
even when she was giving head.
Little Joe never once gave it away.
Everybody had to pay and pay.
A hustle here and a hustle there.
New York city's the place where they said
Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side.
Sugar Plum Fairy came and hit the str
Aja
Stylistically I love Rick Moody. I love his sentence structure, his word choice, his masterful comma usage, his constant italicizing. He breaks a lot of "rules" of writing (penning an 11-page story without using punctuation, writing a 4-page story that is one sentence long) and it is for this reason, and the occasional heart-stoppingly awesome passage that I keep returning to his work.

However.

This stylistic format is often a hinderance; too showy to create depth of character, too detached to sho
john brydges
The heading of this post offers a little nudge in the way of "What I learned from this book." I can tell you I learned that this book was not worth the $8 used dollars I paid for this used book. I could've bought 8 donuts (the good kind), or I could've sat in a sticky nudey booth for 8 minutes. Instead, I read 1 okay story that went absolutely nowhere. Then it hit me. I don't give a shit about upper middle class white people in the northeast. Yeah, yeah, Ice Storm was good (we're talkin' the mov ...more
Stacey Simmons
Not my favorite, but a good read before bed. The title story is clearly the best. I have to admit that I wanted to read this book because it was by the author that the movie "The Ice Storm" was based on. I was a little disappointed by his style. ESPECIALLY when I found out that he is responsible for Garden State. Maybe I'm prejudice because I hate Zach Braff, but I hated that movie, and hence, the author. Even though I know Hollywood turns good books to crap. Anyway, I'll have to wait and judge ...more
Vito
Storie di eroina, storie di disagio, storie di morti. Lo sguardo di Moody sulla droga più diffusa negli anni '80 ci descrive gli individui annullati in massa, in una New York austera e gelida in cui tutti si assomigliano, perché tutti sono fantasmi, dove l'eroina, inevitabile, è entrata a far parte della normalità.
A concludere, una piccola perla: la postfazione di Tommaso Pincio, che offre al lettore una chiave di lettura del libro da parte di uno che è passato sia attraverso l'eroina, sia attra
Alexandra
May 14, 2011 Alexandra rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Rent fans
Recommended to Alexandra by: Benjamin Jacobson
Strong prose that focuses on the connections, simple and complex, between all of us. Especially New Yorkers. My favorite piece, The Apocalypse Commentary of Bob Paisner, is a revelatory ramble in which title character interprets his misadventures with drugs and women through the use of select passages in the New Testament. As for the rest of the collection, I am a bit sick of hearing about how poetically destitute the East Village was in the 80s, but this take on the subject is surely one of the ...more
Kendall
Much better than Demonology. Great writing. Fluid. It flows smoothly like a river on a hot summer day. No rapids. No waterfalls. I can't say the same about the subject matter though. Moody once again explores the warm underbelly of society. Depressing at times- but he always treats his subject matter with respect- and his characters always have a certain dignity about them- no matter how depraved or desperate they become.
Katie
I love this collection of short stories because it's the young Rick Moody...the characters are young, punk, urban, troubled and poetic. I actually prefer this stuff to his more polished novels. I'm starting to feel like Moody gets worse and worse as he gets older...or maybe I just get more and more cynical. Could be both.
David
These might be some of the best short stories of Moody's I've read yet. Still not "The Four Fingers of Death" by any means, but really good. A few of them get a bit more complicated in form than I really got into, but that's my preference and no reflection on Moody. Regardless, these are some damn good stories.
Myles
(2.7/3.0) Structurally experimental, covering your typical gen-x fair. Hyper-detailed but often soulless. Moody's best stories come when he is most averse to risk-- the eponymous novella, "Twister," and "Preliminary Notes" all deserve more than three stars, but their company keep them anchored in the ordinary.
Matt
Not as good as I'd hoped it would be, this one just failed to really hold my attention.

Worse still, or maybe just strange, I got the distinct feeling reading it that I'd tried to read it before, and either quit or finished, but in such a way that left no real memory.

Maybe goodreads will help me to remember:)
Samantha
Dec 01, 2008 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Samantha by: Victoria Miller
Moody generally irritates the hell out of me by depicting Connecticut natives as a generally repressed and emotionally deficient people. I love this book, though, especially for "The Grid," which to this day is my favorite short story about both New York City and making out.
Empress
Nov 23, 2007 Empress rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the overly-obserbant and the eerily detached.
Shelves: read-most-of-it
I dunno, I liked it, but not enough to finish the whole thing, which I think speaks for itself. Ok, I am sure you are all rivited by this review... Well, I will say that I especially liked the story "Phrasebook." --His concepts are great, but I'm not so sold on his style.
stew
Better than Demonology, but nowhere close to The Ice Storm, TRoBAAH is pretentious, vapid, and not even close to being as clever as it thinks it is.
Jaime
Some stories much stronger than others. I found myself skimming in areas. A good look at some of his earlier writing though.
Michaela Wood
Oh God that sucked. It's not even the language - it just my interest was exactly zero. Certain male writers bore me to tears
Ryan
I enjoyed the novella in this, but I'm not sure the short form is Moody's forte. These stories were pretty weak.
Jen
Again, one of the masters of specificity...he's a more contemporary (and in my opinion) talented Cheever.
Ang€lique
La eco di uno della più lucente corona d'angeli in cielo, crea dipendenza.
Kevin Camp
Frequently grotesque, occasionally fantastic. Uneven at times.
Elizabeth
For the story "Boys" alone, this book is worth every penny.
Robyn
I didn't like this book. Moody is definitely inventive, but often the inventiveness doesn't seem in service of anything. A story will have an interesting format, voice, or writing style, but rather than amping up whatever emotional truths the story might convey, the creativity often seems to obscure that. Instead of saying "This is true," the stories seem to say, "Wow, I'm a good writer." It's frustrating because it does seem like there's something underneath, and I liked Ice Storm, which also s ...more
Delaney
Delaney marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
  • The Size of Thoughts: Essays and Other Lumber
  • I Am Not Jackson Pollock: Stories
  • Thirst
  • Venus Drive
  • Nog
  • From Heart of Darkness to Hemingway to Infinite Jest (The Graphic Canon #3)
  • Kockroach
  • The Empire of Ice Cream
  • Cthulhurotica
  • A Bee Stung Me So I Killed All the Fish
  • Do the Windows Open?
Rick Moody (born Hiram Frederick Moody, III on October 18, 1961, New York City), is an American novelist and short story writer best known for The Ice Storm (1994), a chronicle of the dissolution of two suburban Connecticut families over Thanksgiving weekend in 1973, which brought widespread acclaim, and became a bestseller; it was later made into a feature film.

More about Rick Moody...
The Ice Storm Demonology: Stories Purple America Garden State The Four Fingers of Death