Start by marking “Devil at Midnight (Midnight, #9)” as Want to Read:
Devil at Midnight (Midnight, #9)

Devil at Midnight (Midnight #7)

For years, mercenary captain Christian Durand has done everything he can to protect his men from his power hungry father. When a beautiful ghost appears to offer comfort, he assumes the strain has finally pushed him over the edge. The specter claims she’s his friend from another life—a tale the cynical soldier finds difficult to believe.

Grace Gladwell has her own experienc
Published November 1st 2010 by Berkley Books (first published September 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Devil at Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil at Midnight

Isalys
Feb 01, 2011 Isalys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Note: Read and reviewed for The Season for Romance.

Grace Gladwell is a typical girl in suburbia 1950. She’s sweet and pretty and Johnny is just crazy about her, but no one other than her mother know that Grace is the victim of her father’s drunken violent rages. He’s physically and verbally abusive. One night he goes too far when he catches Grace giving Johnny a goodnight kiss. He pushes her and she hits her head when she stumbles into the brick fireplace. Next thing she knows, she wakes up in
Jane Stewart
Incomplete plot development. Things were not tied together or explained well. There is a lot of sex, which was ok.

STORY BRIEF:
In 1950 Ohio, Grace is 18. Her father beats her. The current beating causes her to go unconscious. Her spirit travels to 1460 Switzerland where she meets Christian. Grace is able to switch back and forth between ghost form and human form. She and Christian have a lot of sex.

Christian’s father Gregori is evil and has Christian whipped for being kind to a puppy. Gregori is
Bookaholics
Oct 25, 2010 Bookaholics rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Devil at Midnight by Emma Holly
Paranormal Romance -Nov 2nd, 2010
5 stars

Devil at Midnight is an amazing new installment to Emma Holly’s Upyr series. In this book the author explores reincarnated love between 2 touching and abused characters which this reader did not want to end!! But even if you are new to this series this book can easily be read by itself.

Grace Gladwell is young and beautiful but she has a terrible secret. Her father is abusive and demeaning and in a fit of rage he kills her
Maria
Feb 17, 2011 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its my first book in the Upyr-series but it was no problem understanding the story.

When you first meet Grace Gladwell its in modern times, well 1950s. She is severly abused by her father and when he finally hits her so badly that she almost dies, an angel steps in.
Grace always wanted a friend, someone she could both laugh and cry with. She has always been so alone.

Christian Durand is a noble mercenary living in Switzerland during the Middle Ages under the harsh thumb of his first officer, who is
♥The Kat's Meow♥
Devil at Midnight (Midnight, #9) by Emma Holly It's a very good thing we only must wait until January for the next book. I, for one, am most eager to know what happens next. Angel at Dawn (Novel of the Upyr) by Emma Holly I'm eager to continue Christian and Grace's story. I hate waiting *sigh*

*** Very slight spoiler ***

Suffice it to say that I grew to like, indeed admire, characters whose lives were lost.

(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Kristin - *Nocturnal Bites*
After being killed by her abusive father, Grace Gladwell awakens in a sort of purgatorial realm. An angel confronts Grace and offers her a chance to meet and help a friend in need from another lifetime. Longing for love and friendship, a concept, due to her father, unattainable in her more recent existence, Grace willingly and whole-heartily accepts. However, the one condition of her time travel leaves her corporeal in form. Grace arrives in Medieval England, year 1460, to find the man she is se ...more
Angelina
Dec 22, 2011 Angelina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to anyone who into paranormal or interseted its a great started in to the paranormal books.....
Recommended to Angelina by: No one Love the Author and always want to read..
Devil at Midnight is a story about Christian and Grace two people from different Time only find out they aren't that much different.Fantastic tension because Grace was a ghost and could not be materialize when Christian is human. So although their friendship and love bloomed, they cannot physically touch each other, which made it very intense when Grace is able to materialize even if for a little bit which was hottttt. Love meeting Christian's soliders/friends and seeing that they was more fami ...more
Tamara
Jan 07, 2011 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kathy Davie
This feels so very out of chronological order as this tragic story surrounds the upyr queen, Nim Wei, and her pursuit of a hunky mercenary, Christian Durand, in the Middle Ages in Italy. The main story however is of Grace and her near-death experience which catapults her from the American 1950s to Durand's time period and Christian's doubts about his father and his own abilities. The secondary issues include Christian's attempts to placate his father while protecting those men loyal to him and t ...more
Sharon
The only thing that saved this book for me was the sweet romance and sexy scenes. The story line fell flat for me, and I have read the series. I was okay with the time travel and the ghost and the whatnot, but the development of the story once Nim Wei enters was painfully slow and not worth reading. I lost interest and it was all I could do to finish the book half-heartedly. I would give it less stars, but Emma Holly can write good sex scenes. She is one of my favorite authors, so I expect a lot ...more
Michelle
Sep 04, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, book
At first I didn't know if I was going to like how this story was headed - but all of a sudden I was drawn in and couldn't put it down. I really like that Durand got to tell his story of how he became. You kinda knew how it would end but the ride to get there was awesome. I can't wait to read the next part to this book!
Mell
Aug 31, 2016 Mell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, vampires
Some how missed that I had already given another book in this series a bad review. Won't make that same mistake again. This book was bad- with poorly handled plot elements like time travel and "ghosts." A vampire was thrown in, too.
Pam
Apr 05, 2011 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Devil At Midnight is a fairly good book. Its about a ghost who goes back in time to join her friend from a past life. Both of the have been abused in their lives. Throw in a vampire to the mix and it makes a good story. The ending was the best surprise.
Cassandra
It's another great novel from Emma Holly, could not put it down, just kinda sad that it's another story split into another book. Would love to keep reading but will just have to wait to finish the tale. A must read if you love her books.
Bethany
Jan 13, 2011 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty predictible for the most part. I figured I had the ending all worked out... Until I actually GOT to the ending. And it was nothing like what I'd expected! 4 stars just for surprise factor!
Nora
Jan 28, 2011 Nora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read, but definitely incomplete as a one-book read. Don't read this without having the second one close at hand; having to wait will make you very impatient!
Veronica King
Apr 10, 2014 Veronica King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok I am addicted to the Midnight series. This book read as independent novel although I can't wait to read earlier ones.
NanaVamp
Nov 20, 2010 NanaVamp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My rating and reviews are based on my emotions while reading the story. Emma Holly is a gifted storyteller...very descriptive and plenty of romance and eroticism in her books.
Zury
Feb 08, 2011 Zury rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Much more than "Angel at Dawn" her last couple of books (trilogy and this duology) have been fantastic, but this book was fabulous!
EJ MACK
Jan 16, 2011 EJ MACK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not want to get another series but this book made me reconsider. I was so surprised that i must now read all of this series... thanks
Katie
Nov 10, 2010 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually write reviews but simply stated....I could not put this book down! It was hot and had a great story...I can't wait for Angel at Dawn in January!!!
Mary Lauer
I almost couldn't finish this one because I knew bad stuff would happen, and no HEA in this book. As a result, I rushed thru the end to get to the sequel.
Tressa
Jun 13, 2011 Tressa rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
The premise was intriguing and the primary characters, Grace and Christian, were likeable. Unfortunately, I didn't care for anything else in the book.
RO
Oct 30, 2010 RO rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is by far one of Holly's best, and I'm totally loving Christian and Grace's interaction that's prevalent right away.
Rashida Noray
Rashida Noray rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Angela Hall
Angela Hall rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Kayla
Kayla rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2011
Jeri
Jeri rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Gina
Gina rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Demon's Delight (Tale of the Demon World, #4)
  • Haunting Warrior (Mists of Ireland, #2)
  • A Twist In Time (Da Vinci Time Travel, #3)
  • Red Demon (Gods of Midnight, #3)
  • Demon Lover (Fairytale Fantasies #2)
  • Darkness Burning (Dark Realm, #3)
  • The Taking (Seven Deadly Sins, #3)
  • Master of Smoke (Mageverse #7)
  • Don't Call Her Angel
  • Champagne Rules (Awesome Foursome, #1)
  • Demon Marked (Demon Bound, #2)
  • Mark of the Rose (Tudor Vampire Chronicles, #3)
  • Skin Dive (Skin, #4)
  • Immortal Sea (Children of the Sea, #4)
  • Dream of Me
  • Dark Stranger (Primes, #8)
  • Hot Blooded (Dark, #14; Midnight, #2.5; Mageverse, #0.5)
I'm a USA Today bestselling author who LOVES the hot stuff, both to read and to write. My favorite obsessions are all things coffee, almost everything on HGTV, and dreaming up new stories.
More about Emma Holly...

Midnight (9 books)
  • Catching Midnight (Midnight, #1)
  • Hunting Midnight (Midnight, #2)
  • Heat of the Night
  • Courting Midnight (Midnight, #3)
  • Kissing Midnight (Midnight, #4)
  • Breaking Midnight (Midnight, #5)
  • Saving Midnight (Midnight, #6)
  • Angel at Dawn (Midnight, #8)